HiMedia HD900B Full 3D Media Streamer (Realtek 1186-based) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1569 Old 11-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

The Dune has been around, has had many fix updates over the past year and has a proven track record in being stable and plays just about everything.

I am very happy with the dune base 3.0 and yes it plays everything---the thing is you cant get them no more---the Dune H1 put me off by not having any active cooling and in a confined box--I am not after one with a bluray reader either---I have heard people having high temps in the H1---this was the deal breaker and think dune stuffed up with the design.Hense I have gone with the 900b plus the external harddive caddy connected via sata on the 900b.The caddy has a fan too as you can see in my link previously. I really hope the 900b will play dvd iso and bluray iso without hiccups like my dune does.Dune needs to get their act together on pricing too as there is plenty of competition now.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which external disks do you suggest for the 900B ?

As now for the 900B I don't like the way you sync the subs because it pauses the movie .In my A1080 you could do it during the movie without stop
post #453 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 06:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I have a request: can someone please test 'Avatar' 3D. I didn't notice this until I sampled the movie again last night, but I'm noticing some ghosting and the 3D effect not as good as I recall on the Oppo BDP-93. I'm wondering if this title, like Fox's 'Rio', requires inverting the sync on the TV/projector to play properly. The ghosting is nowhere as bad as 'Rio', but 'Avatar' just looked a little off to me.

As promised, I got my new projector setup today and tested Avatar, as well as a host of other titles. In terms of the 3D effect (depth and pop out), it's just as good as my old 720p DLP, if not better. I didn't really notice much ghosting, certainly nothing obvious, maybe tiny specs here and there. I did have my projector in dynamic mode and the glasses set to 'light' so if there is any ghosting this mode will show it. So no need to invert the sync. I did notice ghosting in other titles and an 'off' 3D effect in some other titles like 7 Wonders of the Solar System but I'm sure that's source related?
One thing I did note about Avatar is that in Direct Play or 1.0 mode (the only ones which will play in 3D) the subtitles you saw in the cinema with the papyrus type font, don't work. I think this may be fixed with the latest firmware which I have yet to try but in FW 26 they definitely don't work in 3D mode.
post #454 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks for testing, appreciate it. Think I'll borrow my neighbor's Oppo BDP-93 and try it out. Maybe I'm seeing (or not seeing) something w/'Avatar'.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #455 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 AM

Hi all,

I was toying with the idea of upgrading my older pc to a HTPC (cost of about £50 to upgrade gfx card for 3d support), but then came across this box, and could get that and perhaps sell the PC for about £100, making back the difference. I'm about to buy a 3dtv over the next few days.

My primary playback is MKVs and 3D Bluray ISOs (currently using popcorn a-110)

can I ask a few questions...

1) The site says

Quote:

The 900B can play Blu-Ray ISOs in full 3D exactly as you would get from a Blu-Ray player (BD-Profile 1.0 menus / BD-Lite only). Note that all equipment must be HDMI 1.4 for frame-packed 3D. The HiMedia 900B is currently the only Media Player in the world to support 3D Blu-Ray ISOs.

Now, with knowing very little about 3d blurays as yet to own 3d at home (my only experience being theme parks lol), how do you tell the difference between BD-Profile 1.0/BD-Lite and any other formats? Is there many discs in 3d out there that, when ripped to iso, would have a format other than the 2 mentioned? And if they did is it easy to change/fix by remuxing it (without losing image/sound quality - and perhaps stripping out unneeded languages in process)?

2) I read on here about Rio being inverse. Is this still an issue with the latest firmware? I saw some mention of switching left/right...is that a TV specific option only available on most 3dtvs, or is it an option on the 900b itself?

3) My current receiver doesnt officially support 3D typically. Onkyo 607, I've heard that bluray players would spit out a message about not being compatable, but that PCs it in effect just passes it through, and the PC can be set to basically force the 3D signal instead of asking it, hence why it works. Can the same be done on this do you know? Worst case scenario may have to go optical, but then IIRC optical would output DTS at best.

4) In relation to Q3 above, I see the 900c has 2 HDMI ports. Would this mean that it could in effect be set to run 1 hdmi cable to feed audio to my AVR and 1 direct to TV to get around this problem?

5) I saw mention of forced subs problems for Avatar. Can this be fixed by manually selecting the correct sub in the iso? On my Popcorn A110 I would usually do that anyway for mkvs, though dont know if ISOs would usually have a forced sub stream selectable, or if it would be like a dvd that can have a few select forced subs in the same subtrack as the main full subs?

edit

think I've seen one of my answers about the 900C model on an earlier page, that it would allow the audio to be split between them. Possibly an ideal solution. Not sure why they would have dropped esata and USB 3.0 support on the 900C tho if its presumably a better model? Would USB 2.0 be fast enough to if running USB external powered drive for 3d ISOs?

edit 2

Sorry...another question

As it has an internal drive bay (or front loader on the 900C), could that be used/hotswappable, instead of using a USB docking station/externaldrives (I use a 3.5" docking station connected with a USB selector to Xbox, Popcorn, PS3, etc)
post #456 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo140hd View Post

Done ! ! !

Hope you'll join us.

Leo, I want to buy one, pm me too.
post #457 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcnew View Post

Leo, I want to buy one, pm me too.

Just send you a PM ! ! !

THANKS ! ! !

Real 1080p Fan ! ! ! Living to Enjoy it's very best ! ! ! (...if I can afford it...)
post #458 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So what kind of transfer speeds are people here getting? I hsve the unit connected to a gigabit setup with cat 6 and I only get 10-12 mbits a sec
post #459 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 05:13 PM

I've just seen on hifivision forum someone selling it, and a comment that it doesn't support frame sequential. Is this true?

Is that the same as frame packed or different? (and many blurays tend to be in that format?)

Don't want to buy it then find the majority of my collection wont play lol. (Whilst wanting the best picture type too - lossless preferred rather than conversion)

I really need to find how to mess with these 3d isos, doesn't seem as straight forward as when used to play remuxing/authoring dvds
post #460 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 PM

Finally got my new projector up and running and I can absolutely confirm that the Na'vi subtitles in Avatar do not work at all in 3d mode. They do work in 2D mode which is strange. Also, as mentioned, 3D does not work in BD Lite but apparently this was fixed in the latest firmware, which I have yet to install.
I really hope the issue with the subtitles is fixed as this functionality is paramount to any media player and should be one of the main priorities to get right before they even ship out the first unit. I'm a bit disappointed
post #461 of 1569 Old 11-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Just got my HD900B yesterday.

FW is 1.0.0.26
Do have stutter in almost every 3DBluray ISO file, streamed through nfs or smb.

Do you guys have the same problems ? Specially Avatar, but others too.
Or do you all play them from USB Disk ?
Did try extracting that iso on the Server but didn't help really to get rid of the stutter.

Also i cannot jump in the movies, the popcorn had some good feature with the remote numbers.

Hope you can help me here.

Regards
Lorien
post #462 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien31 View Post

Just got my HD900B yesterday.

FW is 1.0.0.26
Do have stutter in almost every 3DBluray ISO file, streamed through nfs or smb.

Do you guys have the same problems ? Specially Avatar, but others too.
Or do you all play them from USB Disk ?
Did try extracting that iso on the Server but didn't help really to get rid of the stutter.

Also i cannot jump in the movies, the popcorn had some good feature with the remote numbers.

Hope you can help me here.

Regards
Lorien

are you using wireless or wired?
I can't see how you would be able to stream full 3DBD ISO over a wireless network, even if it's wireless N. Even though the advertised limit for N is 300mbit you'd be lucky to average 50mbit. 3DBD has a limit of 60mbit bitrate, POTC as an example has been reported as peaking at around 52mbit.
post #463 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 12:34 AM

I do not use wireless, i have it wired to a 1gig switch.
Also the server were im streaming from is 1gig nic.
post #464 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I do not use wireless, i have it wired to a 1gig switch.
Also the server were im streaming from is 1gig nic.

Only one Blu-ray 3D gave me stuttering (Under the sea)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #465 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 AM

No Problem with avatar ?

How do you watch your 3D BD ? Do you have them in iso format or do you just play the m2ts file ?
post #466 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

No Problem with avatar ?

How do you watch your 3D BD ? Do you have them in iso format or do you just play the m2ts file ?

ISO format streamed from my Windows Home Server. I only tested Avatar for the first few minutes and had no stuttering

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #467 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 06:24 AM

I'm officially disappointed now!
Forced subtitles on Avatar (for the Na'vi parts) do not work even with the new firmware. This is not good enough and needs to be fixed ASAP.
I tried direct play, BD Lite and 1.0. No luck.
I assume that other movies with forced subs will not work either?
Strange thing is that they work with the full English subtitles, even reverting to the papyrus font while the english speaking parts have an ariel type font but I don't want to watch the whole movie with english subs!!
post #468 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

I'm officially disappointed now!
Forced subtitles on Avatar (for the Na'vi parts) do not work even with the new firmware. This is not good enough and needs to be fixed ASAP.
I tried direct play, BD Lite and 1.0. No luck.
I assume that other movies with forced subs will not work either?
Strange thing is that they work with the full English subtitles, even reverting to the papyrus font while the english speaking parts have an ariel type font but I don't want to watch the whole movie with english subs!!

im not happy with my unit either. BT wont work, most of my bd isos suffer from stutter, and i have issues with the media library not maintaining scans, deletions etc. and HD audio seems muted compared to disc ( i have fiddled with all settings)
post #469 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderol24 View Post

im not happy with my unit either. BT wont work, most of my bd isos suffer from stutter, and i have issues with the media library not maintaining scans, deletions etc. and HD audio seems muted compared to disc ( i have fiddled with all settings)

I was having problems with my MKV files turns out it was the program making them. I only use MKV's and do not have a single stuttering problem
post #470 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 12:34 PM

right so you were but now your not?
im using dvd fab and making iso, what did you do to resolve?

thanks
post #471 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 01:41 PM

I use fab to but I make MKV's and they play flawlessly but then again I made a few ISO's and they played with no problems! What software version are you using?
post #472 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Do you know if subtitles into mkv half sbs 3d as avatar nubi subtitles are correctly displayed in this media player? How?
post #473 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm interested in getting this to play 3d content but I am extremely confused...
According to posts in this forum 3D more or less works...
But I notice many ebay ads for the Himedia 900b say
***NOT work with Frame Sequential 3D Devices
( source ebay link removed since I'm not allowed to post it )

Aren't all active 3D TV's "Frame Sequential 3D Devices"???
Clarification would be greatly appreciated
post #474 of 1569 Old 11-25-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo140hd View Post

Just send you a PM ! ! !

THANKS ! ! !

Leo, I would like to buy one. Please send me a PM. Thanks!
post #475 of 1569 Old 11-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperpansy View Post

I'm interested in getting this to play 3d content but I am extremely confused...
According to posts in this forum 3D more or less works...
But I notice many ebay ads for the Himedia 900b say
***NOT work with Frame Sequential 3D Devices
( source ebay link removed since I'm not allowed to post it )

Aren't all active 3D TV's "Frame Sequential 3D Devices"???
Clarification would be greatly appreciated

this player will work on most 3DTV's and projectors
my mate has the Sony HX820 and it works fine on that.........it's a TV that is advertised as being frame sequential so I'm really not sure why they are advertising their player as not being compatible.....do they actually know what they're talking about?
post #476 of 1569 Old 11-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Has anyone else had problem upgrading to 1.0.1.5? My player is stuck in "Upgrading" screen when I power up. I let it set for at least 2 hours just to be safe. Now when I turn off then on it is just stuck at upgrading screen.
post #477 of 1569 Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraudio13 View Post

Has anyone else had problem upgrading to 1.0.1.5? My player is stuck in "Upgrading" screen when I power up. I let it set for at least 2 hours just to be safe. Now when I turn off then on it is just stuck at upgrading screen.

you should try the safe mode upgrade as detailed on page 25 of the manual though I'd try the 26 firmware first before having another go at the latest FW
post #478 of 1569 Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:

you should try the safe mode upgrade as detailed on page 25 of the manual though I'd try the 26 firmware first before having another go at the latest FW

Safe mode worked, I also had to remove the internal HD I had attached before it would work.

On another note, when are we getting rid of this crappy UI and get XBMC or Boxee running on this box? The hardware does exactly what it is supposed to, but getting the box to play the file is a nightmare. It's just so primitive.
post #479 of 1569 Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:

this player will work on most 3DTV's and projectors
my mate has the Sony HX820 and it works fine on that.........it's a TV that is advertised as being frame sequential so I'm really not sure why they are advertising their player as not being compatible.....do they actually know what they're talking about?

It won't play a frame sequential file. I think that is what they are talking about.
post #480 of 1569 Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraudio13 View Post

Safe mode worked, I also had to remove the internal HD I had attached before it would work.

On another note, when are we getting rid of this crappy UI and get XBMC or Boxee running on this box? The hardware does exactly what it is supposed to, but getting the box to play the file is a nightmare. It's just so primitive.

I have to agree. This unit is missing so many features it's not funny. You can't even operate it without a TV to see what you're doing, not great if you only want to listen to music. Other media players will tell you exactly what you need to know from the LCD panel on the front.......if you are on video it will say 'video', if you're on music it will say 'music'. Scroll through your playlist and each song/movie will come up on the panel to let you know where you are at. All this thing says is 'home'. The more I play with this thing the worse it seems. Himedia need to go back to design school I think
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page