HiMedia HD900B Full 3D Media Streamer (Realtek 1186-based) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Leo nows says he'll PM us his PayPal info on Monday. Beyond Monday, I'll just go the eBay route as the price difference is only a few bucks. Granted the eBay seller ships from HK, but has good feedback and accepts returns. I can wait for the longer delivery.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Leo nows says he'll PM us his PayPal info on Monday. Beyond Monday, I'll just go the eBay route as the price difference is only a few bucks. Granted the eBay seller ships from HK, but has good feedback and accepts returns. I can wait for the longer delivery.

So you are just going via eBay now?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #63 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Giving Leo until Monday as requested. Did you decide to jump in or still mulling it over?

post #64 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking forward to some reviews from you trusted AVSForum guru's before jumping in on one of these. Was initially going to get the Oppos BDP-93 but at three times the cost of an HD900 it's on the backburner.
post #65 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Does this player handle Full SBS mkv?
I'm reading conflicting opinions on the futeko forum.
Also, I have several 48fps 1080p frame sequential MKV encodes, I'm guessing this player would not play these? Stereoscopic Player is the only player, software or hardware, that will play these that I've found so far.
Cheers.
post #66 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got an panasonic ae7000 3d projector, and am considering building an htpc, but this himedia box has caught my attention.

If I just want to play full blur Ray 3d .isos, and mks files etc (don't care about gaming), will this himedia box have any disadvantages over an htpc?

Are there any file types that would work on an htpc (using power DVD or similar software) that the himedia box won't support?

It seems like an htpc will cost at least $400 to build, and I would like a cheaper option.

I take it the himedia box will be available soon? Looks like it may be just what I need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowgow View Post

Just got an panasonic ae7000 3d projector, and am considering building an htpc, but this himedia box has caught my attention.

If I just want to play full blur Ray 3d .isos, and mks files etc (don't care about gaming), will this himedia box have any disadvantages over an htpc?

Are there any file types that would work on an htpc (using power DVD or similar software) that the himedia box won't support?

It seems like an htpc will cost at least $400 to build, and I would like a cheaper option.

I take it the himedia box will be available soon? Looks like it may be just what I need.

It's available right now, you can get them from various sources including ebay, this thread has several users making a group purchase with Leo, one of the posters in this thread.

As for the player itself, as far as I can tell it can play all the common 3D file formats including 3DBD ISO, half SBS & top/bottom mkv. As per my post above, it may also play full SBS mkv files.
It also has other features like web browsing, utorrent etc
So an htpc really has no advantage. I'd recommend waiting on some user reviews to see how stable this device is, how well the chipset handles the content ie is the motion smooth or jerky etc and whether it can do everything it purports to do. By the look of things you won't have to wait too long for those reviews to start popping up in this thread.

Oh btw, I've also recently ordered an AE7000 which is why I'm looking at getting one of these players.
post #68 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

J

You are not going to get menus for your 3D Blu-ray ISOs (only BD Profile 1.0 discs get menus, and almost none of the 3D Blu-rays I know are Profile 1.0).

This box is probably not going to support WebM (VP8) encoded files or 10b H.264 encoded videos.

The only advantage of this type of media streamer box is the fact that it will have very low power consumption and will be nil maintenance (almost). In every other respect, the HTPC will win (even if you don't game at all).

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #69 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt; View Post

It's available right now, you can get them from various sources including ebay, this thread has several users making a group purchase with Leo, one of the posters in this thread.

As for the player itself, as far as I can tell it can play all the common 3D file formats including 3DBD ISO, half SBS & top/bottom mkv. As per my post above, it may also play full SBS mkv files.
It also has other features like web browsing, utorrent etc
So an htpc really has no advantage. I'd recommend waiting on some user reviews to see how stable this device is, how well the chipset handles the content ie is the motion smooth or jerky etc and whether it can do everything it purports to do. By the look of things you won't have to wait too long for those reviews to start popping up in this thread.

Oh btw, I've also recently ordered an AE7000 which is why I'm looking at getting one of these players.

Thanks guys for the response. Not playing full SBS MKS might be a deal breaker. I really want the full resolution which is especially important on my 133" screen. I actually just hung up my new hi-power screen which gives the 3d content the brightness boost it needs. It looked great with the small amount of testing that I did today.

post #70 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal; View Post

You are not going to get menus for your 3D Blu-ray ISOs (only BD Profile 1.0 discs get menus, and almost none of the 3D Blu-rays I know are Profile 1.0).

This box is probably not going to support WebM (VP8) encoded files or 10b H.264 encoded videos.

The only advantage of this type of media streamer box is the fact that it will have very low power consumption and will be nil maintenance (almost). In every other respect, the HTPC will win (even if you don't game at all).

Thanks Ganesh. Given that you're from Anandtech (mad respect), do you think the nvidia 240 would work fine? Or do you think the 430 would be worth the extra cost? My receiver doesn't have hdmi in and doesn't support the newer audio codecs, so that isn't a concern. I'll need optical out for the sound, so will I need a sound card? Or do any mob's have this inboard? Thanks!

post #71 of 1572 Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Ganesh. Given that you're from Anandtech (mad respect), do you think the nvidia 240 would work fine? Or do you think the 430 would be worth the extra cost? My receiver doesn't have hdmi in and doesn't support the newer audio codecs, so that isn't a concern. I'll need optical out for the sound, so will I need a sound card? Or do any mob's have this inboard? Thanks!

Sorry for the off topic post:

For full 3D compatibility, I have to recommend the GT 430. IIRC, it has lower power consumption compared to GT 240 also.

If you are going to use optical out for the sound, I recommend getting a motherboard with optical SPDIF out. Most HTPC oriented motherboards have this (For example, the ASRock H67M mini-ITX/HT has one. Pair it with the cheapest i3 you can find, and along with the GT 430, it would end up being a very good HTPC). renethx has excellent guides in the HTPC section of this forum. I would suggest heading over there for more help

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #72 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal; View Post

Sorry for the off topic post:

For full 3D compatibility, I have to recommend the GT 430. IIRC, it has lower power consumption compared to GT 240 also.

If you are going to use optical out for the sound, I recommend getting a motherboard with optical SPDIF out. Most HTPC oriented motherboards have this (For example, the ASRock H67M mini-ITX/HT has one. Pair it with the cheapest i3 you can find, and along with the GT 430, it would end up being a very good HTPC). renethx has excellent guides in the HTPC section of this forum. I would suggest heading over there for more help

Thanks so much. Yes it's off-topic, but this thread is not such a bad place to discuss the alternatives to the HiMedia box. The HD900B may be just what I'm looking for, but I'm looking forward to hearing some reviews.

If it can do full 3d SBS without stutter, I'm sold.

post #73 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It looks like a new (beta?) firmware is available - someone posted informations about a firmware version 1.0.0.21 in the chinese HiMedia forum. I changed the download link of firmware 1.0.0.19 and found a new .22 version:

http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/HD900B/HD900_1.0.0.19.tar.gz

http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/HD900B/HD900_1.0.0.22.tar.gz

post #74 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:

PM sent...

Tomorrow I'll be sending PM to all who send me PM until tonight.

Thanks ! ! !

Real 1080p Fan ! ! ! Living to Enjoy it's very best ! ! ! (...if I can afford it...)
post #75 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you UdoG. If you try it out, please let us know what improvements you find. HiMedia do appear to be good with firmware releases. They just need English-language support.

As I've gotten several PM's about Leo and the group buy, let me explain for everyone's benefit. It started with my e-mailing HiMedia in China and them putting me in touch with Leo. The group buy was my idea as I had a feeling several AVS'ers would be interested. I sent Leo the link to this thread, and I'm glad he has been engaged here since. Anyway, Leo said he's working on a store-front and is still getting set-up, so it's understandable things seem a little cloak-and-dagger with the group buy or not completely organized with Leo trying to manage his involvement here. I'm sorry to Leo if I appeared a little impatient with his responses. I got his PayPal info and he expects to ship the player Monday. Hopefully, the rest of you in the group buy as well, or shortly. Leo, thanks for your update.

This player looks exciting and I'm eager to play with it. I have around 20+ 3D BD-ISO's and if the HD900B can simply play them via SMB off my server (or even just USB for now) w/o hiccups, I'll be happy. UI improvements, jukebox support, etc. can come later as the firmware matures.

post #76 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Giving Leo until Monday as requested. Did you decide to jump in or still mulling it over?

I had PM'd Leo. Once he PMs me his Paypal info I will make my decision then, leaning towards pulling the trigger. Gonna start ebay'ing some my older players in my house anyhow so time to start a new cycle!

Cheers,
Damian

post #77 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been getting rid of my litter of media streamers as well... WD TV Live+, new Live that just came out (can't do jukebox for movies on network, only USB), Boxee Boxes (still keeping 1 of my 3), Oppo BDP-93 (stop-gap for 3D), PCH A210 (getting A300), and two PopBoxes. I'm a sucker for these gadgets .

post #78 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've been getting rid of my litter of media streamers as well... WD TV Live+, new Live that just came out (can't do jukebox for movies on network, only USB), Boxee Boxes (still keeping 1 of my 3), Oppo BDP-93 (stop-gap for 3D), PCH A210 (getting A300), and two PopBoxes. I'm a sucker for these gadgets .

I just finished taking pictures of my Boxee Box for eBay. I think the PCH C200 goes next (I have an A300 on the way to replace and still have an A200 downstairs). Also the Popbox will hit eBay (just sticking with the Popbox v8 as it is a much better player). I still have a brand new Mede8er to review, most likely will get the HD900B, keep a close eye on the Prodigy, and of course still have my 2 Dunes which are the workhorses and the most stable players I have used to date. I think I also have an oldschool Myka (unfortunately that company is long gone). Biggest score I had to date was the SageTV 300 since i got a nice 100%+ markup selling after Google stepped in

Cheers,
Damian

post #79 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I still have a brand new Mede8er to review

Would that be the MED500X2? If so, I'd be particularly interested in your opinions of it, especially if you get a 900B as well to compare.

The Mede8ers have a fair following and is often regarded as one of the better, if not best, media players that use a Realtek chipset.

However the 900B uses the newer and more powerful 1186 chipset, but from what I can find, it's not without it's flaws:

http://www.futeko.com/forum/index.ph...=thread&id=169

http://www.avforums.com/forums/15656189-post36.html
post #80 of 1572 Old 10-23-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerbear View Post

Would that be the MED500X2? If so, I'd be particularly interested in your opinions of it, especially if you get a 900B as well to compare.

The Mede8ers have a fair following and is often regarded as one of the better, if not best, media players that use a Realtek chipset.

However the 900B uses the newer and more powerful 1186 chipset, but from what I can find, it's not without it's flaws:

http://www.futeko.com/forum/index.ph...=thread&id=169

http://www.avforums.com/forums/15656189-post36.html

Yes, the MED500X2. Mede8er seems to have one of the better/best reputations when it comes to realtek players, so it should make for an interesting comparison against the HD900B (1186)

Cheers,
Damian

post #81 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post

It looks like a new (beta?) firmware is available - someone posted informations about a firmware version 1.0.0.21 in the chinese HiMedia forum. I changed the download link of firmware 1.0.0.19 and found a new .22 version:

http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/HD900B/HD900_1.0.0.19.tar.gz

I performed some tests - here are my first results:

POS:
+ Android included
+ WLAN connection is available after reboot
+ new option "ASK WHEN PLAY" (settings - BD menu)

NEG:

- movie starts with english language although german is configured in the settings (this was not the case with the fw 1.0.0.19)
post #82 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 03:38 AM

New firmware release. Official Info

Firmware:

1.Android is default off to avoid slow down the whole system , and to make sure 3D playback is fine on linux side

Here is the step for enable for android:

setup---- Run Andriod at bootup --- On

Then reboot the player, ( Android system need to wait more 30s after Linux UI showed, Android Logo will be green color..),

when you entering android system, you'd better have USB KEYBOARD or MOUSE to operate it.

2.Here are two games you can try to download on USB firstly, then install and run on OI File.

http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/andriod/angrybirds-signed.apk

http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/andriod/Fruit_Slice_1.2.8.apk

Extra info: google market: is in developing and integration

Leo

Real 1080p Fan ! ! ! Living to Enjoy it's very best ! ! ! (...if I can afford it...)
post #83 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 AM

Hey Leo,

Do you have a changelog for us?

Can you please forward the following bug:

- movie starts with english language although german is configured in the settings (this was not the case with the fw 1.0.0.19)

Thanks!
post #84 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UdoG, did this firmware solve some of the 3D ISO correct 3D title playback issues you reported earlier? Re: Android, what are the benefits? ...being able to play Angry Birds like with Roku? Good to see such speedy firmware updates.

post #85 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 05:34 AM

About...

Quote:

3D Image of movie "Piranha 3D": the correct movie stream will not found! Instead of the feature film a making-of will played.
Some special BD file,We will add playlist selection feature in future

... nothing changed with this firmware.

or which problems did you mean?
post #86 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These you listed earlier (Pirates, Alice, etc.)

post #87 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 AM

PM Sent to all those who asked...

Thanks./

post #88 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:

These you listed earlier (Pirates, Alice, etc.)

OK - sorry...

The problem with these (and other) movies are the BD menu: generally the playback is possible, but only in "direct play" mode. With the new firmware I tested an other ISO - but with the same result:

direct-play -> playback OK
BD 1.0 -> a message will shown that I need a 3D TV and player

The issue is still there and I don't know if HiMedia can/will change something... Maybe the problem is that these movies include a BD-J (java) menu and this kind of menu is not supported.
post #89 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM

I have just sent Leo the money for this media player .

Now I will just sit back and wait for the new 3D player to arrive. :-)
post #90 of 1572 Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did as well 2 days ago. We need the rest in the group buy to ASAP so we can get the player ASAP .

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page