HiMedia HD900B Full 3D Media Streamer (Realtek 1186-based) - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 1569 Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

Admittedly, I didn't read every post in this thread, but I did skim through every page.

So is my understanding correct that this device still isn't ready for primetime with regard to framepacked 3D ISO playback?

It's a shame because I'm starting to get fed up with my HTPC. As much as I love XBMC, it's such a hassle if I want to watch framepacked 3D ISOs - switching out of XBMC, mounting the ISO, and playing it in the FAR inferior TotalMedia Theater, or even just loading an external player. But it sounds like this device would just introduce me to a whole other slew if problems?

So it seems there are no viable alternatives out there either? I haven't seen much on the new XTreamer NMT.

Another question, do any of these media streamers allow setting up "profiles" like XBMC, where I can set up a separate profile for say, my daughter, where she would only see her items?

As stated, there are some major issues with this device that may never be resolved due to legal license problems. Some people are willing to overlook these. There are some major issues that are simply complete cluster fu's like watching a program 80% and the remainder will not play but is complete garbage on the screen. I don't think anyone is willing to overlook that. Then there is a purported problem with an extra frame inserted every 42 seconds that a couple like to make center stage about but most don't seem to mind if they can even see it. I liken this issue the same as rainbows on DLP projectors. But to some they are quite passionate about it.

So, IMO this box is not ready for Prime time. But I didn't want to post here to rehash what has been over stated here to the point of nauseum. Instead I wanted to offer to you a solution that is quickly becoming a dated solution as soon the device will not be available.

The best most flawless 3D and 2D ISO file player with full clone of the blu ray and DVD disk is the OPPO BD-93 3D player with a USB 2 TB hard drive connected. The reason it is a dated solution is that soon this will be sold with new firmware that does not have this feature. (It may be too late already.) Again, due to license issues. I use one now and refuse to update it so it works well. If it eventually won't play my BD due to new java script then I will buy a new 3DBD player and keep this old one isolated and quarantined from the internet for the hard drives of content that does play flawlessly.

So, presently there is a flawless solution but soon there will be none unless the licenses are changed to benefit us and not the lawyers. Get 'em while they last!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1569 Old 03-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

As stated, there are some major issues with this device that may never be resolved due to legal license problems. Some people are willing to overlook these. There are some major issues that are simply complete cluster fu's like watching a program 80% and the remainder will not play but is complete garbage on the screen. I don't think anyone is willing to overlook that. Then there is a purported problem with an extra frame inserted every 42 seconds that a couple like to make center stage about but most don't seem to mind if they can even see it. I liken this issue the same as rainbows on DLP projectors. But to some they are quite passionate about it.

So, IMO this box is not ready for Prime time. But I didn't want to post here to rehash what has been over stated here to the point of nauseum. Instead I wanted to offer to you a solution that is quickly becoming a dated solution as soon the device will not be available.

The best most flawless 3D and 2D ISO file player with full clone of the blu ray and DVD disk is the OPPO BD-93 3D player with a USB 2 TB hard drive connected. The reason it is a dated solution is that soon this will be sold with new firmware that does not have this feature. (It may be too late already.) Again, due to license issues. I use one now and refuse to update it so it works well. If it eventually won't play my BD due to new java script then I will buy a new 3DBD player and keep this old one isolated and quarantined from the internet for the hard drives of content that does play flawlessly.

So, presently there is a flawless solution but soon there will be none unless the licenses are changed to benefit us and not the lawyers. Get 'em while they last!

Thanks for the reply, Don. I have heard about that Oppo as a possibility, but the only way it would work for me is if I can stream the movies from a NAS (unRAID) rather than USB hard drive. And also, 90% of my 2D Blurays are ripped to MKV, and I'd had to hate to have to re-rip them. Does it only stream ISO?
post #1323 of 1569 Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

this box is not ready for prime time for all people but for some of us it's working for us. I don't have any problem with movies playing to completion and I can not see any stutter in my application. I was considering the oppo 93 but at 500 dollars didn't go for it and took a chance with these media players and haven't regretted it in the least. while all the attention is given to firmware there is the hardware issue as well that either benefits or henders this media players use. Somehow the ones it's not working for try to minimize the perception of those that don't see the stutter. Whatever the mechanism is that reduces it to not observable for some of us should not be dismissed but understood. There are few standards in how manufacturers go about providing 3D TV's and PJ's. This will always result in interface problems.
post #1324 of 1569 Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Then there is a purported problem with an extra frame inserted every 42 seconds that a couple like to make center stage about but most don't seem to mind if they can even see it.

Nice way to trivialize the issue. On the Micca thread, Jack confirmed that that the player is inserting an extra frame every 1,000 frames on all 23.976 material. Which is practically all 720p and 1080p blu-ray source material. That means it isn't purported, it's confirmed from a Micca representative. To those who can see it it's a major issue. And it's a big enough issue that Micca has both confirmed the issue exists and that they are working on a solution (if possible).
post #1325 of 1569 Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Let me see if I can upload the .img file for you somewhere.

Tried two more 3D Blu-rays today: 'Cars 2' and 'Toy Story 3'. With BD 1.0 setting, I get a 'This disc has recognized your Blu-ray player and/or display isn't 3D compatible' message. Tried 'Direct Play' and it plays 3D fine, but not the correct playlist, rather the one with Spanish credits . This happens with both ISO's.

Also, re-tried 'Rio', which I'd reported having severe ghosting with (and didn't happen via Oppo BDP-93), and it's still there no matter what setting I try with the HD900B. Hope someone has this movie and can try on their HD900B.

I cannot get Toy Story 3 to play in 3D.... I've tried all 3 modes.. and there only seems to be ONE playlist on the disc.

What am I doing wrong?
post #1326 of 1569 Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

See the following thread for 99 3D Blu-ray titles that have been released so far.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235684

Right and your goal is to acquire all of them? Point being the 6000 BD's that's have been released all this is moot when this player does not handle either correctly!
post #1327 of 1569 Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

Do they play framepacked 3D ISOs?

Yes, it does. If I seat and look at the TV crossed eyed. It's awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

it's obvious you don't have any bluray 3D frame packed iso's

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #1328 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Nice way to trivialize the issue. On the Micca thread, Jack confirmed that that the player is inserting an extra frame every 1,000 frames on all 23.976 material. Which is practically all 720p and 1080p blu-ray source material. That means it isn't purported, it's confirmed from a Micca representative. To those who can see it it's a major issue. And it's a big enough issue that Micca has both confirmed the issue exists and that they are working on a solution (if possible).

Well I don't own a Micca but if you convinced them this is huge deal then congratulations. You certainly did make a great number of repeated posts and continue to do so. I saw the problem in a specific test designed to demonstrate it is really there, but it is not huge deal to me as there are more important things going on in my life that I can prioritize over one extra frame every thousand that in the course of being engaged in a movie, I don't see. Anyway, for what it's worth I sure hope they fix this because it is really boring to read these threads and see your repeated posts about this same issue over and over and over again and again. We get it! Really we do! You are really annoyed over that frame as much as the rest of us are with the hundreds of posts you made about it. I have a suggestion- Why don't you just post one extra comment about it every thousand posts. Guaranteed, we won't be as annoyed with that as you are about the frame every 1000 frames. sigh!
post #1329 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM

/\\/\\/\\. +1
post #1330 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 PM

Im not sure why people are so angry about bugs being pointed out. The repeat frame is actually a fairly big issue for a lot of people and would certainly make me choose another product instead
post #1331 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I don't own a Micca but if you convinced them this is huge deal then congratulations. You certainly did make a great number of repeated posts and continue to do so. I saw the problem in a specific test designed to demonstrate it is really there, but it is not huge deal to me as there are more important things going on in my life that I can prioritize over one extra frame every thousand that in the course of being engaged in a movie, I don't see. Anyway, for what it's worth I sure hope they fix this because it is really boring to read these threads and see your repeated posts about this same issue over and over and over again and again. We get it! Really we do! You are really annoyed over that frame as much as the rest of us are with the hundreds of posts you made about it. I have a suggestion- Why don't you just post one extra comment about it every thousand posts. Guaranteed, we won't be as annoyed with that as you are about the frame every 1000 frames. sigh!

The solution for this would be for you to unsubscribe to this thread so you don't have to ready it. There is a saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarsden View Post

Im not sure why people are so angry about bugs being pointed out. The repeat frame is actually a fairly big issue for a lot of people and would certainly make me choose another product instead

I agree with you! I think a lot of people have the thought that if no one talks about it, it doesn't exist."

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1332 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Just to make sure I was not imagining things, I experimented with reverting to previous firmware versions to see what was happening.

On version 1.0.1.13, 2D is displayed correctly at 23.98
From at least 1.0.2.16 to the latest 1.0.3.8 it is 24.00
3D has always been 24.00

I confirmed this today by downgrading my HD900A to 1.0.1.13. In addition to the above, I can also confirm that 60Hz content is played back at the correct 59.94Hz. So at one time they had it right for 2D 24Hz (at least mostly, as there are a few 24.000Hz titles in the EU) and 60Hz playback, but they lost the recipe in future firmware updates including the latest one.
post #1333 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

...I saw the problem in a specific test designed to demonstrate it is really there, but it is not huge deal to me as there are more important things going on in my life that I can prioritize over one extra frame every thousand that in the course of being engaged in a movie, I don't see. Anyway, for what it's worth I sure hope they fix this because it is really boring to read these threads and see your repeated posts about this same issue over and over and over again and again. We get it! Really we do! You are really annoyed over that frame as much as the rest of us are with the hundreds of posts you made about it. I have a suggestion- Why don't you just post one extra comment about it every thousand posts. Guaranteed, we won't be as annoyed with that as you are about the frame every 1000 frames. sigh!

I think there are more important things in most people's lives than anything related to media players, yet this forum is full of people who are not "most people". There is a very nice "ignore" feature for those you are bored by.
post #1334 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

I confirmed this today by downgrading my HD900A to 1.0.1.13. In addition to the above, I can also confirm that 60Hz content is played back at the correct 59.94Hz. So at one time they had it right for 2D 24Hz (at least mostly, as there are a few 24.000Hz titles in the EU) and 60Hz playback, but they lost the recipe in future firmware updates including the latest one.

I don't see 1.0.1.13 on the himedia-tech.cn firmware support page. Around what date was it released?

I'd like to check if HiMedia's 1185-based 600 series has an analogue change in firmware in regards to this issue around the same date.
post #1335 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey View Post

I don't see 1.0.1.13 on the himedia-tech.cn firmware support page. Around what date was it released?

I'd like to check if HiMedia's 1185-based 600 series has an analogue change in firmware in regards to this issue around the same date.

It looks like they only list two firmware versions. This one may have been a beta version. It is still on their server:
http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/HD900B/HD900_1.0.1.13.tar.gz

The image file is dated December 21, 2011.

A better list of prior firmware versions can be found here:
http://bbs.himedia.com.au/index.php?topic=701.0
post #1336 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM

Does anyone know how the olly firmware's playback the files? Like, does olly base their own firmware off the original Himedia firmware or do they update as new Himedia updates come along?
post #1337 of 1569 Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zort View Post

Does anyone know how the olly firmware's playback the files? Like, does olly base their own firmware off the original Himedia firmware or do they update as new Himedia updates come along?

When a new FW came out Olly would update the FW and and release it that Sunday or next. Problem is nobody has heard from him in a while.
post #1338 of 1569 Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, Don. I have heard about that Oppo as a possibility, but the only way it would work for me is if I can stream the movies from a NAS (unRAID) rather than USB hard drive. And also, 90% of my 2D Blurays are ripped to MKV, and I'd had to hate to have to re-rip them. Does it only stream ISO?

I haven't really tried the MKV file. Also, I have had not so good luck with streaming over a lan. It works fine for DVD content but the high bit rate is too much for my network here. The OPPO does work well for 3D and 3D iso files with full menus and features which is what I want but only from local USB HDD. I bought a HDD cradle and simply hot swap out the drives. It would be nice to have even Lan transfer of the file but that is also a limitation for the OPPO. You can play files from a server but not iso that I recall. I believe it played a few AVi's, MP4, mpg, and some wmv's in 2D from my computer public folders. If all you need is main program, no menus, probably the HiMedia 900b may work. If your lan is the latest gigabit high speed, it may also be fast enough to play the HD mkv content.
Also, please note, I am not ripping copyrighted media, as my interest is just having a library of instant access to my own video productions, some with menus and some without. Some of my productions are done in 3D 23.976 and some in 29.97. My main disappointment on the HiMedia 900b is lack of menus (I should have done more homework before buying) and the random failure to play some of my productions to completion. That failure being a complete corruption of video and audio totally unwatchable. When time permits I will now test new firmware to see if the corruption issue is gone. If that fixes it, the unit will work great for my non-menu driven content.
post #1339 of 1569 Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Just bought the HD900B, upgrade to 1.0.3.8 went fine but I cannot get my device to show up in my network so I cannot upload data to it. Tried both wired and wireless and enabled Samba but no luck. Anyone?

Second is that I cannot get my HDD formated, the format option in the Setup menu only shows Format?. When I press Ok it switches back to the menu and I do not hear my HDD spin or anything. Maybe this problem is related to the first one as I can imagine that my network cannot show the HD900B as long as there is no drive to store stuff on.
post #1340 of 1569 Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klit View Post

Just bought the HD900B, upgrade to 1.0.3.8 went fine but I cannot get my device to show up in my network so I cannot upload data to it. Tried both wired and wireless and enabled Samba but no luck. Anyone?

Second is that I cannot get my HDD formated, the format option in the Setup menu only shows Format?. When I press Ok it switches back to the menu and I do not hear my HDD spin or anything. Maybe this problem is related to the first one as I can imagine that my network cannot show the HD900B as long as there is no drive to store stuff on.

Pop the HDD into the computer and format NTFS, then on the start screen in the run box //xxx.xxx.xxx.x if I remember right it's forward slash but could be 2 back slashes anyways the xxx is the unites ip address
post #1341 of 1569 Old 03-12-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

Pop the HDD into the computer and format NTFS, then on the start screen in the run box //xxx.xxx.xxx.x if I remember right it's forward slash but could be 2 back slashes anyways the xxx is the unites ip address

Yes that was it, formatting in a pc made everything work. Thanks
post #1342 of 1569 Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looks like Micca's EP600 G2 is out. It has the same Realtek 1186 chip, so at $120 shipped, this may be the cheapest frame-packed 3D ISO player.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1343 of 1569 Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Looks like Micca's EP600 G2 is out. It has the same Realtek 1186 chip, so at $120 shipped, this may be the cheapest frame-packed 3D ISO player.

I like it...waiting for the software bugs to be ironed out then I'll get one.
post #1344 of 1569 Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:

It looks an awful lot like my HD900A, but it does not have WiFi built in (I don't care) and it includes a component cable (mine didn't and it is not standard so I have no idea how to get one). It also appears to have coaxial SPDIF. If I had waited a couple of months, I would have probably bought this one instead.
post #1345 of 1569 Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the stuttering fix for this player? Or will it have the same issues as the EP950?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1346 of 1569 Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Likely same. I don't get stuttering via USB 2.0 or eSata via my HiMedia HD900B for 3D ISO's. But, it too has the same chip.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1347 of 1569 Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 PM

First 3d iso that I have noticed stuttering with on my HD900A over USB 2.0 so far was Cars 2. It didn't matter whether I played it with Direct Play or BD lite. I still can't play 3d isos over the network even with the new firmware. Actually I have issues playing anything, over my network, off my NAS with the new firmware, MKV AVI etc. It just locks up most of the time something is not playing nice, could be my NAS.
post #1348 of 1569 Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 AM

What is all this stuttering about? I have not seen any stuttering from and 2d or 3d iso's ever since i got my 900B. I am using it with a UE55D7000 samsung but have not seen anything. Maybe my eyes are not tuned to see the stuttering. Can someone please explain where and when the stuttering takes place. I have read though the majority of the 45 pages but maybe i missed something is i dont see any stuttering or even ghosting on Rio 3d iso. The Himedia player did however get stuck playing Harry Potter part1 3d iso at chapter 25. The sound continues but screen goes green and freezes. You canot fast forward of skip to next chapter. Iso was self ripped with AnyDVD i also done a self rip from DVDfab which i will test to see if it still freezes on chapter 25. Has anyone else experienced this with this film or any other.
post #1349 of 1569 Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars109 View Post

What is all this stuttering about? I have not seen any stuttering from and 2d or 3d iso's ever since i got my 900B. I am using it with a UE55D7000 samsung but have not seen anything. Maybe my eyes are not tuned to see the stuttering. Can someone please explain where and when the stuttering takes place. ...

The image pauses (repeats a frame) every 42 seconds for 24Hz content like 3D movies. This pause is very difficult to see with active 3D when running at 120Hz (like the Samsung LED TV does) because there is already a pause every 5 frames from the 3:2 cadence required to frame rate convert 24Hz to 60Hz.
post #1350 of 1569 Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

When a new FW came out Olly would update the FW and and release it that Sunday or next. Problem is nobody has heard from him in a while.

Just noticed in the Futeko forum that OllyP has returned from a 2 week vaca in Austria. Hope springs eternal!

HDTV Early Adopter
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page