post #181 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, and I think the PCH A300 just arrived today. Lots of toys to play around with!!!

Is there any need for PCH A300 if you just ordered the HD900B ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post

Is there any need for PCH A300 if you just ordered the HD900B ?

I review players for the blog I write for which is why I got both (and have about 6+ other players in my house right now as well!)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #183 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Me too, just got both. Will try to test the HD900B tonight. Unfortunately, I've come down with the flu and feel like crap. But, I'll stay home tomorrow and post impressions if I can't get to work.

As a doctor (retired) I advise you to stay home, drink plenty of fluids, and mess around with your new media players until you feel better. Once you have filled us in on your impressions you might then consider going back to work. Media players are either a good Rx for what ails you or the start of a really big headache. Here's to your health.
post #184 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, and I think the PCH A300 just arrived today. Lots of toys to play around with!!!

Quote:

I review players for the blog I write for which is why I got both (and have about 6+ other players in my house right now as well!)

I see... for someone like myself who has to make ONE choice for the next media player.. please let me know which one is the better featured player to get. Thank you
post #185 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well, if you want full 3D BD-ISO playback, then HD900B. Otherwise, I'm fairly confident the A-300 will be better for 2D (full jukebox support, more polished streamer).

Attached are pics of my two players. Both players are connected and ready for testing tomorrow. My PJ is the budget Optoma HD33. Still downloading the latest HD900B firmware. Taking forever; already timed out on me twice.

For fun, my kids ready for trick-or-treating earlier this evening .
LL
LL
LL
LL

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #186 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 05:50 PM

External design is a great part of these devices, HiMedia's HD 900 B is really MUCH BETTER DESIGNED.

Just by taking a look at your pics ! ! !

Congratulations !, nice family !

Real 1080p Fan ! ! ! Living to Enjoy it's very best ! ! ! (...if I can afford it...)
post #187 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Me too, just got both. Will try to test the HD900B tonight. Unfortunately, I've come down with the flu and feel like crap. But, I'll stay home tomorrow and post impressions if I can't get to work.

if you got flu,stay home tomorrow, rest, relax,play with HD900B,and post you first impressions...I have to wait till nov 3...damn...
Tom
post #188 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM

I think that we should start a new thread with the title such as:

"My review of the HiMedia HD900B" which is more focus on this device.

This current thread is too busy with either sale related topics or awaiting for the device.

My HD900B won't be here until November 2 since I am in the west coast (all the way in California) so it takes one or two later than Brajesh.
post #189 of 1572 Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I already have the PCH-C200 from Popcorn so A-300 seems redundant compared to the HD900B?
post #190 of 1572 Old 11-01-2011, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those about to post reviews, please test whether the unit is compatible with Full SBS mkv if possible
post #191 of 1572 Old 11-01-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

I think that we should start a new thread with the title such as:

"My review of the HiMedia HD900B" which is more focus on this device.

This current thread is too busy with either sale related topics or awaiting for the device.

My HD900B won't be here until November 2 since I am in the west coast (all the way in California) so it takes one or two later than Brajesh.

I think it's better too keep on posting on this thread...

I've been following this one in order to keep HiMedia guys informed of your request, and I gave some answers...but I can't follow several topics for one device...

I also sent them the link of this one...

About bugs Firmwares & sale related topics the will appear the same in the new one...I was told to post openly on the thread all my post, PM keeps only 150 PM and it's not enough...

During evey day of this week, there will be new happy owner's...I hope you'll enjoy them ! ! !

Real 1080p Fan ! ! ! Living to Enjoy it's very best ! ! ! (...if I can afford it...)
post #192 of 1572 Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My Toy Story Trilogy 3D Blu Ray set arrived yesterday as well, so just in time sine the HiMedia should be here today

Cheers,
Damian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #193 of 1572 Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Damian
Did you get a special delivery today....we're waiting for first impressions...Brajesh got sick,so he is excused...for now...
Tom
post #194 of 1572 Old 11-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Hello everybody !
I am testing The Smurfs 3D.iso
Results until now:
3D playback perfect
When changing to 2D it hangs sometimes
Firmware .19
Is there any way to password protect a folder ?
Thx
post #195 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek1 View Post

Damian
Did you get a special delivery today....we're waiting for first impressions...Brajesh got sick,so he is excused...for now...
Tom

Yeah, I got it last night. Actually have a nice list of toys I need to look at now. Dealing witha head cold right now so I have been wiped out by the time i get home from work. Hopefully by t his weekend I can really start kicking the tires on the HiMedia

Cheers,
Damian

post #196 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Damain, how'd you get sick the same time I did?! Turns out what I have is viral, so I was totally bed-ridden yesterday. Will start testing the HD900B within a few hours. Someone asked we test a SBS 3D MKV file, but I don't have any. If you can upload or point me to a short sample, I'll test it out.

post #197 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I already have the PCH-C200 from Popcorn so A-300 seems redundant compared to the HD900B?

Agree with this.

post #198 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Hey Damain, how'd you get sick the same time I did?! Turns out what I have is viral, so I was totally bed-ridden yesterday. Will start testing the HD900B within a few hours. Someone asked we test a SBS 3D MKV file, but I don't have any. If you can upload or point me to a short sample, I'll test it out.

It would be nice if people could get together and create a standard group of short (legal) files to test...share it on torrent and then post results so everyone knows whats up with different media players.

E.g.
-audio files, like MP3, OGG, FLAC, RM, etc.
-video files, like MKV with different codecs, BD-iso, etc.
-image files, like jpg, png, etc.
-subtitle files, like srt, sub, etc.

Media Player Comparison Grid (work in progress):

post #199 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey, thats how rumors start

Just a head cold here. I forgot how much I hate this time of year when the kids start bringing germs home from school.

Here are some links for sbs mkv:

http://nzbindex.com/search/?q=panaso...espam=1&more=0

http://nzbindex.com/search/?q=samsun...espam=1&more=0

OverUnder:
http://www.multiupload.com/AO20N1GSPX

SBS:
http://www.multiupload.com/GTBS82N72H

Cheers,
Damian

post #200 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I've done my initial testing and it's a mixed bag, though nothing that HiMedia can't improve/fix via firmware updates. They seem to be releasing updates fairly quick, which is a good sign.

First, the packaging itself. No manual of any kind and no batteries for remote included, so -2 there, but +2 for included HDMI cable and SATA/eSATA connector cable. I did link to the manual in my first post, so ended up downloading it for myself.

Connected and powered up the player. Fairly quick boot-up. Didn't time it, but seemed to be about 10 seconds (update, timed it: actually 30 seconds in standard mode; 35 seconds with Android enabled). Put in USB stick with firmware. Had just unzipped after downloading. When updating, it says nothing found. Went back to the computer and put only the install.img file on USB stick, then it worked. Also, you can only update via USB, so no option for online update via the player.

Next, went into 'Settings'. Set for HD audio output and RAW for others under 'Audio'. For 'Video', selected 1080p/60 and also 1080p/24Hz to 'On'...

Set-up wired LAN, then enabled Samba...

Went into 'Premium Apps'. YouTube, flickr, Yahoo! Weather, etc. Nothing exciting. But, inside 'HiMedia Online', something interesting...

...But, it took a while to load the page and when I tried to play a listed movie, it didn't play even after about 5 minutes. Just got the revolving loading status. These appear to be streamed from somewhere in China.

Now, onto what we're really interested in... full 3D Blu-ray ISO playback. For now, all mine are on a powered USB drive, so none of these were tested over the network (Samba).

Under settings, I started with 'BDMV Navigation' set to 'BD 1.0'. I believe this is what Leo recommended earlier.

I tested out 5 movies at random. Started with 'Avatar' of course. No problems here. Playback started within seconds of selecting the ISO. However, forced subs did not come up. I tried messing with the different subtitle tracks to force it to show, but didn't work. I tried track 5 as shown in this screenshot...

Maybe it's some other track, but forced subs not coming on automatically is disappointing. I even have the subs set to auto-detection for forced I think in 'Settings'...

Next, tried 'Grand Canyon', the IMAX documentary. Plays the 'making of' documentary, not the main 3D movie. As I see no way to switch to the 3D title via the remote, I stopped playback, went into 'Setup' and changed 'BDMV Navigation' from 'BD 1.0' to 'Direct Play'. Opened the ISO back up and this time, it works; the main 3D movie plays. For the rest of my 3D tests, I left it at 'Direct Play'.

Next, tried 'Captain America'. No problems. 3D looks great. Then, 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides'. Also, no problems and looks great as this one was shot using native 3D cameras like 'Avatar'.

Finally for 3D (for now at least), tried 'Rio'. I get severe ghosting. I recall playing this movie when I had my Oppo BDP-93, which I wish I still had for direct 3D comparison purposes, but I recall 'Rio' looking absolutely gorgeous via it. So, I went back into 'Settings' for the HD900B and switched 'BDMV Navigation' from 'Direct Play' back to 'BD 1.0'. Re-played 'Rio' and same severe ghosting issue. It's 3D alright, but the picture just doesn't look right. Hope someone can try this movie out on their HD900B. (Turns out this particular title requires you to invert the sync on your TV/projector to get proper 3D).

Thought I'd now try out some 2D. 1080p/24 seems to work perfectly. Tried '3:10 to YUMA' and my Optoma HD33 projector shows 1080p/24 synched correctly; see bottom-right of this screenshot...

I played this movie via Samba using the HD900B's 'File Browser' to drill down into my HPSERVER. Watched about 15 minutes and playback was smooth; no hiccups. This one has LPCM 7.1 audio and it played perfectly.

One issue while browsing my folder with movies was a crackling noise. Not good. The same didn't happen when I browsed via my new PCH A-300, so it's a weird issue on the HD900B.

Tried a couple of HD audio movies, and both DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD pass-through perfectly. The logos on my Onkyo TX-SR608 light-up as expected.

Overall picture and audio quality are both first-rate. No different than PCH A-200/300 in this regard.

Per someone's request, I tested 1080p/60 camcorder files. All played perfectly. No issues there. Mine are mostly from Sony's DSC-HX9V digital camera actually.

Back to forced subs, they're also not supported on MKV's. I tried my 2D 'Avatar: Extended Edition', which when I'd muxed it via MKVMerge to MKV, I'd specifically set the default and forced flags both to 'yes', the HD900B still didn't show them.

Finally, I went into 'Movie' in the main menu. It asked if I wanted to add a library. Chose 'yes', but oops, it only supports content on local drives, not network. That's useless to me as all my 2D (and soon my 3D) movies and TV shows are on my server.

One last thing for now: the UI. It's okay, but not anywhere near polished like say the PCH A-300, which I just started testing. Also, some of the wording is awkward as you can see from the screenshot above. Look how much nicer the A-300 UI looks...

Bottom line, I can live with most of the issues I've listed if HiMedia simply addresses all the 3D-specific playback problems. At this point, the PCH A-300 will be my primary player for 2D content with YAMJ/Eversion as the jukebox. May even try NMJ v2. The HD900B is no replacement for the PCH A-300 (or even 200-series) for now at least. For full 3D, I'll be using the HD900B obviously. Hopefully, all 3D ISO playback issues will get resolved, or if Leo or others can provide workarounds (like 'Direct Play' for getting 3D on 'Grand Canyon' to play), will rely on those. HiMedia should really add the ability to select playlists on ISO's. That way at least we may be able to get the proper 3D title to play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continuing on... neither of the bottom two 3D MKV files (ed3d_overunder_24fps.3DTAB.mkv, ed3d_sidebyside_24fps.3DSBS.mkv) Damian linked to above play. I get 'Unsupported Format' error message.

Before jumping into Android, I plugged my Lenovo mini-wireless keyboard and tried out the web browser...

The left and right mouse buttons work, but I couldn't get it to type anything into Google's search box. Tried several times to no avail.

Now, onto Android. Put in a freshly formatted (FAT32 to be safe) 16GB SD card (where actual apps will be installed) and inserted a USB stick (where app APK install files reside) with the two games Leo linked on p.3 ('Angry Birds', 'Fruit Slice'). Here are the Android setup screenshots...

Went into USB stick to install the two APK files for the game apps. The ESC key on your keyboard is very handy here for backtracking. More screenshots (I'm letting photos do the talking here )...

Now, let's play 'Angry Birds' and 'Fruit Slice'. Let me tell you, this is quite an experience on a 119" screen ...

These apps run a little laggy, but not bad at all. Using the left mouse button simultaneously with the mouse/roller to do what a simple tap/wipe does on a phone takes getting used to, but I can see apps being fun additions on the HD900. Any more game APK's I can download and install ?

But, for me, 3D isn't a gimmick, and I'd rather HiMedia focus on getting this absolutely perfect!

post #201 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 AM

Just got my HD900B, it is a nice unit. I have two questions though.

1. I have a lot of SMB shares on the network. Is there a way to add only the one I want to the shortcut? I can't seem to find a way to do it.

2. Does HiTV work outside of China? Nothing loading here.

P.S. I am using 1.0.0.26 firmware
post #202 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome writeup Brajesh. If you can just report back on sbs mkv testing and then I can just simply copy your writeup and post as my review

Cheers,
Damian

post #203 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a lot of SMB shares on the network. Is there a way to add only the one I want to the shortcut? I can't seem to find a way to do it.

I can't find a way to add any shortcuts.

post #204 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Liked: 13
Indeed a good write-up, Brajesh, but you didn't cover the one thing that I'd really value this player for: the Android compatibility. 3D is a gimmick to me (not specifically for media players but for movies in general), but the ability to use Android apps or dual-boot into Android is one I personally would consider a biggie. Do you have any thoughts on it?
post #205 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome writeup Brajesh. If you can just report back on sbs mkv testing and then I can just simply copy your writeup and post as my review

Thanks, but I for one am looking forward to your own review . Downloading the SBS and top/bottom samples now.
Quote:

Indeed a good write-up, Brajesh, but you didn't cover the one thing that I'd really value this player for: the Android compatibility.

Okay, will try it out. Already downloaded the two apps (games) Leo linked on p.3 ('Angry Birds' and 'Fruit Slice'). Anyone have an idea if I need a hard drive installed in the HD900B to install apps? Those two apps are about 19mb total.

post #206 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks, but I for one am looking forward to your own review . Downloading the SBS and top/bottom samples now.

Okay, will try it out. Already downloaded the two apps (games) Leo linked on p.3 ('Angry Birds' and 'Fruit Slice'). Anyone have an idea if I need a hard drive installed in the HD900B to install apps? Those two apps are about 19mb total.

Brajesh, can you try downloading an app called Vulkano Player?
https://market.android.com/details?i...idplayer&hl=en

It requires a vulkano device to actually stream content, but it should be able to at least install without a unit. I have a vulkano player and would love to see if these media units with Android have the ability to install this app so I can watch TV full screen, completely removing the need to hook up my laptop to the tv with the PC software.

Media Player Comparison Grid (work in progress):

post #207 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Connected and powered up the player. Fairly quick boot-up. Didn't time it, but seemed to be about 10 seconds.

Interesting, it takes about 40 seconds for mine. I'm timing this from the moment you press the power button to you get to the main menu.

Quote:

But, inside 'HiMedia Online', something interesting...

...But, it took a while to load the page and when I tried to play a listed movie, it didn't play even after about 5 minutes. Just got the revolving loading status. Maybe these are streamed from somewhere in China.

The entire HiTV section is purely Chinese and as you suspected, is streamed from China.

One thing to note is that some of the movies on HiTV 2.0 don't play at all for whatever reason. It just comes up with a "Cannot play this file" error. For movies that do play, it's usually a 10 second or so wait for it to buffer enough.

Quote:

Next, tried 'Grand Canyon', the IMAX documentary. Plays the 'making of' documentary, not the main 3D movie. As I see no way to switch to the 3D title via the remote, I stopped playback, went into 'Setup' and changed 'BDMV Navigation' from 'BD 1.0' to 'Direct Play'. Opened the ISO back up and this time, it works; the main 3D movie plays. For the rest of my 3D tests, I left it at 'Direct Play'.

Try pressing the Menu button that's directly above the navigation button on the remote, there should/might be an option there.

From what I can tell, the Direct Play mode just scans the playlists inside the iso and looks for the longest one and takes this as being the main movie. BD Lite scans for a different playlist and is meant to find the main menu, but seems to fail sometimes.

Quote:

One issue while browsing my folder with movies was a crackling noise. Not good.

Is that the little click noise as feedback from each time you use the remote or something else?

Quote:

Back to forced subs, they're also not supported on MKV's. I tried my 2D 'Avatar: Extended Edition', which when I'd muxed it via MKVMerge to MKV, I'd specifically set the default and forced flags both to 'yes', the HD900B still didn't show them.

This is bizarre, there was a bug where HD900B always showed the English subtitles of file (providing it had subs), so I find it weird that yours doesn't show any. Perhaps they've changed and broken it in the .26 firmware.

I'll see if I can do some tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post

Indeed a good write-up, Brajesh, but you didn't cover the one thing that I'd really value this player for: the Android compatibility. 3D is a gimmick to me (not specifically for media players but for movies in general), but the ability to use Android apps or dual-boot into Android is one I personally would consider a biggie. Do you have any thoughts on it?

This is a copy & paste of a post I made over at AVForums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by next010 View Post

what's the Android RT Media Center app like ? (the Realtek supplied media player in Android OS, it may be called something else).

Does it play only basic videos or everything it plays under Realtek/linux OS, does it have reading network shares support ?

The entire Android section is extremely basic and buggy, this is due to the fact it has only just been made available. It's a completely over-marketed feature and in it's current state, a useless one at that.

The only available apps so far are a calculator, Gallery and Music. I don't actually have any photos or music on mine so I'm unsure if they work, but they're pretty pointless as you might as well use the native menus.

There are a ton of menu options within the Android section, but most don't seem to do anything. However, in my opinion, the overall design of them is better than the native menus.

The most promising thing so far is the browser (Chrome based) since the normal one (IE based) is horrible to use - which I go into more detail about here. However the Android browser, like the rest of the apps, is very buggy which is a shame as functionally it seems a lot better, particularly with a keyboard and mouse.

From what I can tell, you can only install new apps using a SD card, but Android doesn't recognise mine.

Here are some images that show pretty much the current extent of what Android can do:

http://i.imgur.com/ClGYf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5ZfDJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SaivM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IUYZE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rYIIT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/b0GFH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/k4qLY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HIYdo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8EMTc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ywWbX.jpg

All images are from these threads:

http://bbs.himedia-tech.cn/forum.php...extra=page%3D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc8888 View Post

2. Does HiTV work outside of China? Nothing loading here.

It should do, I'm in UK and it does and I've read confirmed reports from Germany and Spain as well.

It'd be good if any owner of the HD900B can somehow get and test the Samsung 3D Demo disc and see if they get the same stutter problems I do.
post #208 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated my post above with Android impressions. Not bad at all for early Android offerings.

crackerbear, thanks for your fantastic, detailed reply. I'll try out your suggestions for getting proper 3D playback tomorrow. And, you may be correct about 40 seconds for boot up. I'll time it tomorrow when I plan to test out more 3D BD's.

post #209 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokar View Post

Brajesh, can you try downloading an app called Vulkano Player?
https://market.android.com/details?i...idplayer&hl=en

If you can find a direct apk download, then I can try. I've looked and the only way I can find to install it is on an actual Android phone, which means I can't install it on the HD900B.

Quote:

Updated my post above with Android impressions. Not bad at all for early Android offerings.

Interesting that you got Android apps to install, maybe my SD card was bad (it was a random cheapo one I had lying around). I'll try another when I have time.

Edit:- Managed to get some apps installed. You pretty much need a mouse as well as the remote to operate the Android side of things, for me, the OK button on the remote sometimes doesn't work for whatever reason.
post #210 of 1572 Old 11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I went the other route and ordered a bdp-93. I can confirm RIO has no ghosting on my samsung plasma. I wish you all the best of luck but at the present time I have had no issues at all with the bdp-93.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page