AVS Forum banner

HiMedia HD900B Full 3D Media Streamer (Realtek 1186-based)

371K views 2K replies 202 participants last post by  bernardo61 
#1 ·

Update 9/2012: Sold my HD900B and got a Mede8er MED1000X3D , which is a superior player with support second-to-none compared to others in this space (HiMedia, PCH, Dune, WD TV, and even Micca). While the HiMedia HD900B wasn't bad at being one of the very first 1186 3D streamers on the market, if you're looking for a full 3D streamer today, I'd recommend the 1000X3D or waiting for PCH's A-400 or Dune's new 3D line-up. The latter two have their work cut out to match what the 1000X3D offers however.

My impressions/review posted here (conducted with official .26 firmware).

Please refer to this original, general thread on full, frame-packed capable 3D media players. These are players that can play 3D BD-ISO's via HDMI 1.4 at full resolution.

- Owners Manual (23.5mb) (in English)

- Manufacturer's page (in English)

- iboum's info/specs page

- Futeko forum on HD900B (where people first got this player)

Here's the link to the latest (beta) firmware: 1.0.4.7 . OllyP's custom 1.0.4.7 firmware is here. Use "safe mode" to install.

*** Note, if you are not getting any picture (or 'Mode Not Supported' message) when setting up: Out of the box, the player is set for 720p/50Hz output, which some displays don't support. So, switch to auto or something like 1080p/60Hz if your display supports it. Or, press the 'Format' button on the HiMedia's remote until you get a picture. ***

Logitech Harmony remote setup: The HD900B is now on Logitech's database:

- Device: Media Center PC

-- Manufacturer: HiMedia

--- Model: HD900B

Want free Android apps? Get 'em here. See my review link above on how to install. Not all APK's will install however.

Bug fixes needed:

(Also see: Bug tracking thread at Futeko forum ; not sure if it's being updated)
  • Forced subs (Na'vi parts) in 'Avatar' BD-ISO don't show up. This issue appears to affect all ISO's that have forced subtitle tracks.
  • Forced subs in MKV's (any movie) don't show up, even when ripped subtitle track is marked as 'yes' under 'Default track flag' and 'yes' under 'Forced track flag' via MKVMerge.
  • (The forced subs issue appears to affect all Realtek 1185 and 1186-based streamers).
  • Stuttering (likely caused) when playing back a playlist with too many clips in them. May also be caused by incorrect handling of frame rate (see next bullet).
  • Incorrect frame rate for 3D and 2D: 24.00 instead of 23.976 for film-based Blu-rays.
  • Some hard drives will take about 30 seconds to mount on the system.

Features needed:
  • 'Movie' section should be able to use network location for jukebox (not just local). HiMedia's jukebox support is very simple; just folder.jpg for movie posters.
  • OllyP has indicated his next custom firmware may support YAMJ for SMB/NFS shares. Currently, it supports YAMJ for local drives (USB & eSata). But, YAMJ on HD900B isn't as easy to set-up as with PopBox or Popcorn Hour players.

See less See more
#2 ·
Leo's replies from the original 3D thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo140hd /forum/post/0

About: "If and when one of the above listed players will boot into Android”

Answers:
Our HD900 support Android…//… We did DEMO of HD 900. and booted
Android will be selectable option from Menu…//.. Version 2.2....
They are working hard with details for the final version, and will release the new firmware as soon as they confirm it works as it must be.

Observations of HiMedia Staff

1.playback of 3D ISO Image only possible with the following settings: BDMV Navigation: Direct Play / BDMV Folder Auto-Play: On
No, 3D movies can Directly Play by HD900B.

2.3D Image of movie "Piranha 3D": the correct movie stream will not found! Instead of the feature film a making-of will played.
Some special BD file,We will add playlist selection feature in future

3.no automatic WLAN connection after power-on.
Sorry, it will be fixed by next firmware updating, now it's in testing.

4.If you restart a 3D Image the HD900B asked you if you want to start the movie from the last position. If you press OK the movie starts from the beginning (instead of last position) and in 2D (no longer 3D).
We will Fix it in next firmware, now what you can do? when play movie, press "Menu" button then there will options, choose "3D/2D"

5.I found some ISO's which are not played because of the region code (region code = 2): a warning will displayed and the movie will not start.
Actually HD900B can directly play 3D. no need to do some setting.

They are always working and what they promise they do. Just from my expierence.

About JUKEBOX
They will be working on it, but they can promise no time.
"About jukebox's media library, we can do . but R&D plan will be a little later. (so far, R&D can't give me exactly time)"

#3 ·
Whether Leo or iBoum has a direct contact to Fuketo (I think that is their name), I would recommend for a jukebox that instead of devoting resources to that development currently instead they work with Omertron to get YAMJ working on the HD900B. YAMJ already works on other Realtek players (Mede8er and ACRyan). This alone would also make it more attractive for others to try the HD900B since YAMJ can be used across multiple players (so no need to relearn a new jukebox, etc...)

#4 ·
I assume these Realtek 1186 players support Flash lite? If so, you'd have the added benefit of a skin like Eversion if YAMJ support could be added.

The lack of jukebox support is the main thing keeping me from jumping on getting this player. I'd have to hang on to my PCH/PopBox (got Eversion/YAMJ running beautifully on them) as that's my front-end to my 1,200+ 2D movies and 38 TV shows.

#5 ·
About the 3D ISO support / direct play - I tested the following 3D ISOs:

- Alice in Wonderland

BD Lite -> Playback OK, but in 2D

BD 1.0 -> no playback possible - a message will shown that I need a 3D TV and player

BD 1.0 -> automatic 3D modus -> perfect playback

- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole

BD 1.0 -> no playback possible - black screen

- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

BD 1.0 -> no playback possible - a message will shown that I need a 3D TV and player

As you can see not all 3D ISOs are playable with BD 1.0 -> if I select direct-play most time the movie will started in 3D.

Hopefully HiMedia will fix this soon!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek1 /forum/post/21097185

Any news from Leo...?

Hi I'm here I've been out .... I'll post this observation to tech guys...

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG /forum/post/21096041

- Alice in Wonderland

As you can see not all 3D ISOs are playable with BD 1.0 -> if I select direct-play most time the movie will started in 3D.

Can you tell me before I send this to China, what firmware is installed in your 900b?

#11 ·
OK, in order to be able to achieve a better number for each, I told you it was about 15 what I need.

Let's wait until tomorrow night...

Please if someone on the list read this , send me your zip code,

If any new else interested appears send me a PM.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/21097544

Think I misunderstood you as I thought all you had was 15 units. In any case, I don't think we're going to get 15 people, but no problem waiting until tomorrow night.

What I'm saying is that 15 will be a better number to make a bigger discount.

Of course I'll do my best if not 15 ! ! !

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo140hd /forum/post/21097310

Can you tell me before I send this to China, what firmware is installed in your 900b?

I have installed the firmware 1.0.0.19.

Can you please also forward all other bugs - if not already done:

• When trying to add manually a NFS shortcut, then the entered text is not accepted and the edit box still shows a default map to some IP.

• When scanning the network for NFS shares, it takes a considerable amount of time (I got about 25 shares on my network from over 10 devices). But this can be remedied by scanning multiple times where eventually it will show all shares.

• When navigating in NFS shares the "File Operations" are disabled, so that you cannot copy or move files (in Cifs-samba ie. Windows shares it works)

• NFS does not work for MTU higher that 1500. So jumbo frames do not work (I tested with a qnap nas). In this case entering a NFS share will stuck the device (spinning circle) trying to access the share.

• DLNA does not work and crashes (tested with Twonky Media on qnap nas) and will soft reboot the GUI (disabling access to the local HDD, when a re cycle is needed).

• Accessing a BD iso (3D but also 2D isos) over cifs/samba AND NFS works but the audio is lost every vew seconds and the video playback stutters (tested with qnap nas). Opening the same files on a locally attached HDD they work olmost perfectly, meaning that throughout a whole length of a movie you will have 3-4 hickups only.

• You cannot select as default subtitles to have "None". Also "Greek" was not included in the list. "None" is neccessary in order not to have all the time to fiddle around to disable the subtitles (as there is no easy way. you must go to the menu and press about 10 buttons to disable the subtitles...)

• when you move the movie with the timeline (using the arrows left and right) the player "looses" the 3D setting and switches to 2D. This happend with .MKV and with 3DBD. Switching it back to 3D manually resolves the problem without any further annoyances.

• It seems to me that .mkv files that are played 24p, when send to the player they show some small stuttering every 10 seconds or so. Maybe the 23.xxx to 24 conversion has some issues. The TV reports the stream as 24p.

• When you enable the HDD spindown time, the HDD after having spinned down, does no spin up again automatically. When in the files browser you must press the green button to start it again. This is not useful, because when you need to access the HDD from samba the HDD does not spin up. You can connect to the device, but the share 'HDD' fails (because the HDD is off).

• The network issues report earlier, when opening a 3DBD iso on a NAS do occur on specific vendors. Qnap nas stutters, Intel NAS does very little. So hopefully this can be corrected in the next firmware, because this prooves that it's not a hardware problem.

• the 3D modus must be activated manually for .mpo files: to view .mpo photos you must integrate the photos in the photo library of the HD900B. Then, if you select a photo from the database, the photo will displayed in 2D instead of 3D! A manual aktivation is necessary (menu button -> 3D). Sample photos can be downloaded here: http://www.biohemmet.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=475

• movies which are created with the FUJI 3D camera are not playable in 3D (no problems so far in 2D). Furthermore a manual activation of the 3D modus is not possible. Sample movie can be downloaded here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J90IIQ7M

• The media file information will not displayed correctly if you open a photo and press the INFO button (not all fields filled).

Suggestions

• The a,b,c on screen keyboard looks frightening (and I'm in IT for the last 30 years). I would suggest to have a qwerty keyboard or at least an option for it.

• Implement the options for NFS TCP / UDP selection and even the frame size if possible.

I think very important is the subtitle issue - the value "default = none" is missing.

Thanks for your assistance!

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG /forum/post/21096041

- Alice in Wonderland

BD LiTe---only 2D supported

BD 1.0 , can support part of 3D playback with BD menu

BD direct play, support almost 3D playback without BD Menu;

With more detail:

BD LITE, BD 1.0, BD direct play is just the way(method) to play movie.

So when End-user to play movie by BD lite, then only support 2D format in 3D movie.

when play movie by BD 1.0, support some 3D playback with BD menu.

When play movie by BD direct, support almost 3D playback without BD Menu.

#19 ·
Post 17 copied and gone to china....

#21 ·
Leo, a suggestion for those of us who can't understand Chinese: please post links and instructions for updating the firmware in English. Or, better yet, request HiMedia to update their English language site to include the HD900B. I found a reference to the latest firmware (appears to be a Beta) in a Futeko forum post, but didn't find it on HiMedia's website, even under the Chinese section (via Google Translate). Later stumbled upon it within a thread in the Chinese forum (via Google Translate). Here's the link to firmware HD900_1.0.0.19 . It apparently fixes the auto-playback of the 3D version in an ISO.

Edit: Just re-read UdoG's post above, so maybe HD900_1.0.0.19 doesn't yet fix the 3D playback issues.

#22 ·
How can't your understand Chinese?????

Jokes apart they are already working (hard I know) on that...

Everything you ask here I copy and send...

#26 ·
Keep on receiving zip codes via pm in order to reach a better number....

#27 ·
Leo, Do you resell only HiMedia products, or do you handle Kaiboer also? It looks like Kaiboer has used Marvell to put out a 3D BR player / media streamer. Any feedback on that?

iboum, Same question to you
I know you resell products from lots of companies. I was just wondering whether Kaiboer is amongst those. Some sort of press contact at Kaiboer would be great (there product appears very interesting).

#28 ·
That would be our 900d...

No other brands for me by now...

#29 ·
This might be a bit of a left-field question but I've got a TVIX which supports 2D bluray ISO but some ISO files don't play from the first scene, Star Wars for instance plays from the second scene ie after the opening crawl, yet the ISO plays perfectly on Total Media Theater player on my pc.

Have any of your users noted anything similar when playing 3D BD ISO on the 900B?

One thing the TVIX does not do though is support BD menus, which I believe your player does?

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.