Wireless Network for home pc's and A/V - AVS Forum
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Wireless Network for home pc's and A/V
jowens1126's Avatar jowens1126 08:37 AM 10-19-2011
I am trying to put together a network for my home and select hardware that will all interconenct with a minimum of issues. I would like to see what yall think and if anyone has experience with the specific hardware pros or cons.

MY ISP is TWC/BHN.
Hardware
Dual Band Wireless N router such as Linksys AE4200 Second Floor.
PC#1 - Second Floor PCIe Wireless N Card
Laptop#1 - Second Floor Built in Wireless b/g (Dunno if the AE4200 supports b/g)
PC#2 - Second Floor PCIe Wireless N Card
iPhone
Ipad
A 4 port Media Bridge - Linksys WES610N
Mitsubishi 82840 TV - RJ45 Network Connection
Receiver (undecided) - RJ45 Network Connection
Sony BDP-D780 - RJ45 Network Connection
XBox 360 - RJ45 Network Connection

I have a Cisco 8642 DVR Box Upstairs (next to the main router)
and a Cisco 8642 DVR Box downstairs next to the Big TV.
These 2 DVR's are MoCa Enabled.

Receiver possibilities:
Pioneer VSX-1121-K
Onkyo - TX-NR809
Sony - STR-DN1020

Any thoughts on the best receiver?

Questions
Do I still have to connect each DVR Box to the network? Or can I connect one box and the network pass thru the MoCa to the other box?

Is it best to connect each video source directly to the tv? Or is it better to connect everything to the receiver and one HDMI to the tv?

Will my wife ever figure out how to watch or listen to anything, lol?

jowens1126's Avatar jowens1126 06:30 AM 10-20-2011
Bump
sean_w_smith's Avatar sean_w_smith 06:48 AM 10-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post

I am trying to put together a network for my home and select hardware that will all interconenct with a minimum of issues. I would like to see what yall think and if anyone has experience with the specific hardware pros or cons.

MY ISP is TWC/BHN.
Hardware
Dual Band Wireless N router such as Linksys AE4200 Second Floor.
PC#1 - Second Floor PCIe Wireless N Card
Laptop#1 - Second Floor Built in Wireless b/g (Dunno if the AE4200 supports b/g)
PC#2 - Second Floor PCIe Wireless N Card
iPhone
Ipad
A 4 port Media Bridge - Linksys WES610N
Mitsubishi 82840 TV - RJ45 Network Connection
Receiver (undecided) - RJ45 Network Connection
Sony BDP-D780 - RJ45 Network Connection
XBox 360 - RJ45 Network Connection

I have a Cisco 8642 DVR Box Upstairs (next to the main router)
and a Cisco 8642 DVR Box downstairs next to the Big TV.
These 2 DVR's are MoCa Enabled.

Receiver possibilities:
Pioneer VSX-1121-K
Onkyo - TX-NR809
Sony - STR-DN1020

Any thoughts on the best receiver?

Questions
Do I still have to connect each DVR Box to the network? Or can I connect one box and the network pass thru the MoCa to the other box?

Is it best to connect each video source directly to the tv? Or is it better to connect everything to the receiver and one HDMI to the tv?

Will my wife ever figure out how to watch or listen to anything, lol?

receiver: Onkyo, the only one with audyysey.
Moca should work if necessary but I know nothing about the DVR's you have or the features they offer.

hook everything through the AVR.

your wife will have an easy time operating all this once you get a good remote like ones from harmony. I recommend the 900 but if you want something cheaper there is the one and some other less expensive models.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...9114815&sr=8-1
jowens1126's Avatar jowens1126 05:38 PM 10-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

receiver: Onkyo, the only one with audyysey.
Moca should work if necessary but I know nothing about the DVR's you have or the features they offer.

hook everything through the AVR.

your wife will have an easy time operating all this once you get a good remote like ones from harmony. I recommend the 900 but if you want something cheaper there is the one and some other less expensive models.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...9114815&sr=8-1

What is audyysey? I was leaning toward Onkyo anyway. I have the Samsung WHDVR.

I'm still trying to figure out which wireless router to use. They all have heavily mixed reviews.

I'd like to set up the main router upstairs for my pc's and use a media bridge or repeater downstairs.
Kalani's Avatar Kalani 06:14 PM 10-21-2011
I'll give you this advice, take it or leave it, I don't care:

I've been a computer consultant for going on 20 years. I've deployed countless wireless routers and access points in homes and small businesses over the years (including for my friends and family), and used a large number myself. I'm primarily PC-based, but I also own (and support) Macs, and own iPads and an iPhone as well.

I was a diehard Linksys fan for many years, with occasional forays into Netgear and DLink.

The best wireless router I've ever used, hands down (outside of crazy expensive Cisco gear that only big corps can generally afford), is the Apple Airport Extreme.

Best range by far. Flexible enough (although it stills bugs the heck out of me that I can't configure it without special software... no built in web server for easy browser-based configuration). Every place that I've installed Airport Extremes in recently went from needing multiple range extenders to having BETTER signal throughout the location with just the one Airport. And every one that I've installed is still in service and working perfectly, unlike every Linksys/DLink/Netgear router that I've deployed, most of which seem to have a roughly 1 year lifespan before they start dying and need replacing.

The Airports cost more, no doubt. BUT when you look at the price of the better wireless routers, and realize you'll likely need at least two to equal the lifespan of the one Apple router... and far fewer issues in the meantime. ROCK SOLID stable. (No need to reboot it regularly, as so often seems to happen with the other gear as it ages and starts to get wonky.) I've also had good luck saving money with the Refurbs which you can buy directly from Apple's website (like this), which have invariably come out of the box looking brand-spanking new and which carry a full warranty (as if new).

If you do need an extender (or a bridge, to connect multiple wired devices in another location where you can't run a hard line) the Airport Express extends the network beautifully, and plugging a wire into the AEX and then into a regular, inexpensive switch, lets you plug as many hardware devices as you need to into the network cheaply and easily.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
jowens1126's Avatar jowens1126 06:46 PM 10-21-2011
Thanks for that info on the Airport Extreme. I had heard that was a great router, but I didnt know it supported PC. I will have to seriously look into that now.

Ive had linksys a few times and was really disapointed. It took me 3 router exchanges at bestbuy to find one that actually worked. Seriously poor quality control. I used Belkin for a while, and its speed and reliability dropped off significantly after a year as you said. im using some POS the cable company gave me when I moved in, it has a built in cable modem. I have to reboot it alot. Sometimes several times a day, other times not for a week.

I will definitely look into the apple router.
thanks again.
Kalani's Avatar Kalani 10:19 PM 10-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post

Thanks for that info on the Airport Extreme. I had heard that was a great router, but I didnt know it supported PC. I will have to seriously look into that now.

Ive had linksys a few times and was really disapointed. It took me 3 router exchanges at bestbuy to find one that actually worked. Seriously poor quality control. I used Belkin for a while, and its speed and reliability dropped off significantly after a year as you said. im using some POS the cable company gave me when I moved in, it has a built in cable modem. I have to reboot it alot. Sometimes several times a day, other times not for a week.

I will definitely look into the apple router.
thanks again.

Definitely not Mac-only.

AirPort Utility 5.5.3 for Windows

In fact, there's even an app for controlling them from your iPhone or iPad now... you no longer need a computer at all!

AirPort Utility app
Up
Mobile  Desktop