New Netgear 2 bay and 4 Bay NAS Release Overview - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yesterday Netgear introduced 2 new NAS devices. These new NAS's are designed for the AV consumer in mind. They are high in performance, feature rich and lower in price. The new NAS's are the ReadyNAS Duo V2 (a 2 bay NAS) and the ReadyNAS NV+2 (4 bay NAS). These products are a great evolution of the existing ReadyNAS line adding much wanted enhancements to the line at very affordable prices. The 2 bay Duo V2 starts at $199 diskless and the 4 bay NV+V2 is $399.

Netgear focused on the key performance benchmarks and features that in particular the AV consumer is looking for. Improved speed which is up to 40% faster then the competition and some 30% lower prices.

The big change to the existing ReadyNAS line is the use of the Marvell 1.6ghz processor which allows for comparable performance to the Intel Atom chips used in the other NAS's but has a significantly lower parts cost thereby lowering the costs to the users. Performance of the 2 bay unit is on par with the Synology and QNAP NAS's (they are all using the same chip) but does it at 30% lower cost and a 50% longer warranty (3 year vs 2year). Additionally the new ReadyNAS come built with a steel enclosure (feels like a very heavy steel brick) and USB 3.0 for added storage capability. And yes it has gigabit ports as you would expect.

The 4 bay units differ a bit more then the competition. In fact compared to some similar models from Synology or QNAP have better performance or lower prices. The comparison is not as clear as the 2 bay units but if performance and costs are key to you both of the new Netgear units come out ahead.

Other changes in the new Netgear line have to do with significant software enhancements. Like we have seen in the latest batch of Netgear Routers the user interfaces have been completely redesigned. The prior Netgear interfaces have been functional and got the job done but were not really consumer friendly in that they were sometimes not intuitive to use.

The new ReadyNAS UI are in fact quite nice to look at and have greatly simplified management of these devices. This makes total sense since these 2 ne NAS's are designed for the mainstream media consumer, not the computer geek. Not to say they wont put a smile on any computer geek's face.

Adding to the new UI is the addition of compatibility with the Netgear IOS and Android applications ReadyShareNAS remote software. These applications allow for a complete cloud experience with your NAS.

Other changes to the new NAS units are the addition of JBOD mode. For those new to this JBOD means Just a Bunch Of Disks. This is important IMHO because if reduncancy is not important (JBOD is not redundant) you can get maximum capacity from your drives installed albeit without redundancy protection. I have been using a Ultra 2 2 bay ReadyNAS for a media server and have backups of all the data and do not need redundancy. But I cannot use JBOD with that unit so my maximum capacity is tied to the biggest disk I can put in it. I would have preferred to have JBOD but is not supported except in the new 2 and 4 bay ReadyShare NAS units.

So all in all I think Netgear really did a fine job with these new units. With the addition of performance enhancements, new UI interface (see attached files) , cloud support with their pc and mobile apps (which are free downloads), 3 year warranties and added JBOD support and much lower costs I think these are the units to beat. I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a chance to review the 4-bay version:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5071/n...s-nv-v2-review

It is very good value for the money.

UI is improved, but several features are missing (which were easily accessible in the old UI). Add-ons aren't mature yet because of the new ARM architecture. But, both of these are in the process of getting fixed. I have more trust in Netgear's ReadyNAS lineup compared to the NTV lineup

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Does anyone think plex media server will be ported to run in these? Right now, it only works with atom readynas boxes.

Also, I've got a readynas ultra 4 plus. Can I assume the transcoding performance will be no better?

They seem like good units for the price.
post #4 of 21 Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Does anyone think plex media server will be ported to run in these? Right now, it only works with atom readynas boxes.

Also, I've got a readynas ultra 4 plus. Can I assume the transcoding performance will be no better?

They seem like good units for the price.

I am quite sure that transcoding will be a no-go with these guys Processor is simply too weak, and platform is optimized for NAS functionality rather than media streaming applications.

If you have a Ultra 4 Plus, I can't see any reason to pick up these units for the purpose that the Ultra 4 Plus is serving right now.

Ganesh T S
post #5 of 21 Old 11-11-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

I am quite sure that transcoding will be a no-go with these guys Processor is simply too weak, and platform is optimized for NAS functionality rather than media streaming applications.

If you have a Ultra 4 Plus, I can't see any reason to pick up these units for the purpose that the Ultra 4 Plus is serving right now.

I would have to agree with this as well.

These new units are really mainstream products aimed at good performance at low cost.

Bob Silver
post #6 of 21 Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Liked: 10
Forgive my ignorance -- is it important that the transcoding happen at the server rather than at the player level?
post #7 of 21 Old 11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekonabudget View Post

Forgive my ignorance -- is it important that the transcoding happen at the server rather than at the player level?

If it happens at the player level, it is called 'decoding'

Transcoding at server stage is necessary only when the media player is unable to handle the codec / resolution etc. Examples of stunted players include the Roku2 and the Apple TV2. For example Roku2 can only understand certain types of H.264 encoded files.. If you have a MPEG-2 or VC-1 file, the source must convert it to H.264 on the fly (done by Plex on PC media servers or Orb on the costlier Netgear ReadyNAS models, for example) so that you player can play the file. Another reason to have transcoding is when you have a mobile device (smartphone / tablet) and want to play, say, some HD videos off the NAS..

Ganesh T S
post #8 of 21 Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

The 2 bay Duo V2 starts at $199 diskless and the 4 bay NV+V2 is $399.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

Why such a big jump in price between the 2 and 4 disk versions?
post #9 of 21 Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Not a big jump - $99 per disc
post #10 of 21 Old 11-12-2011, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Not a big jump - $99 per disc

Well if the price is $199 for two discs and that includes the processor, etc it would follow that it wouldn't be another $200 to just add two more disc spots.

Unless of course I'm missing or don't understand something, which is possible because I am just starting to get into this kind of stuff.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Liked: 10
Would some one please recommend a good NAS server for streaming 1080p video.
I'm looking to buy my first NAS - and have been reading CNET reviews all day, but still undecided. Netgear, dlink, synology, buffalo, qnap, or what?

Looking for a 4 bay (or the ability to expand later), UPnP, and fast enough to play, ff, etc. with out delays. I have Dune now and like working with ISO files even though they are 30-40g each, so I'm going to need lots of storage.

Willing pay up to $700-800 if it's worth it. I'm sorry if all this is discussed elsewhere, I looked but didn't see what I was looking for.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois_Girl View Post

I'm looking to buy my first NAS - and have been reading CNET reviews all day, but still undecided. Netgear, dlink, synology, buffalo, qnap, or what?

Looking for a 4 bay (or the ability to expand later), UPnP, and fast enough to play, ff, etc. with out delays. I have Dune now and like working with ISO files even though they are 30-40g each, so I'm going to need lots of storage.

Willing pay up to $700-800 if it's worth it. I'm sorry if all this is discussed elsewhere, I looked but didn't see what I was looking for.

Ability to expand = Synology

Consider DS1511+ or the recently introduced DS712+ along with the DX510

Ganesh T S
post #13 of 21 Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Bob -

Any TiVo support on these?
post #14 of 21 Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post

Well if the price is $199 for two discs and that includes the processor, etc it would follow that it wouldn't be another $200 to just add two more disc spots.

Unless of course I'm missing or don't understand something, which is possible because I am just starting to get into this kind of stuff.

I understand your logic and reasoning but often pricing comes on the heels of value. The 4 bay unit is considerable more versatile. Also given the drop in pricing for NAS's (These used to be close to a $1k for a diskless unit) this is a great value at $399. If you are price conscious you may look for some of the older ReadyNas units on the web (Frys as an example) which can be had for about $300 for a 4 bay.

That said in either cases Netgear product is very solid and will serve you well.

Bob Silver
post #15 of 21 Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblum View Post

Bob -

Any TiVo support on these?

Great question. Wasnt listed in the training deck I received. I PM'd the product manager and will report back. The other RadyNAS do support it and my guess is these will to since what TIVO is looking for is a DLNA server which these units possess. But again I will confirm in a follow on post.

Bob Silver
post #16 of 21 Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois_Girl View Post

I admit I am biased but the Netgear ReadyNAS pructs have been great successes over the years. A key feature is it's RAIDX which allows on the fly expansion of the RAID. What this means is if you start with say 1TB drives and want to upgrade to 2tb drives you can do this without rebuilding the array. This is key since normally you would need to copy off your data to some other medium (often difficult if you have multiple terabytes), install all new drives, rebuild the array and then copy your data back to it. This will take quite a while to do. With the Netgear technology you can just replace 1 drive at a time, let it copy data to it and once you complete replacing all drives the unit will then expand to the new drive capacities. Thus going from a total of 4 1tb drives to 4 2 tb drives. This type of expandability is key as over the life of the nas you will probably go through 1 - 2 generations of drives. When I started mine I used 500gb drives and now have 2tb drives installed. I replace them every couple years now.

Bob Silver
post #17 of 21 Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How does X-Raid differ from Synology Volume Expansion?
Quote:

To expand a volume by replacing existing hard disks with ones of larger size:
You can expand a volume by replacing existing hard disks with ones of larger size in the following RAID types: SHR, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 5+Spare, and RAID 6. Please follow the steps below:
Turn off your DiskStation. You can skip this step if your model supports hot-swapping.
Replace one hard disk with another of larger size.
Turn on the DiskStation and repair the volume.
Repeat step 1 to 3 until all hard disks are replaced with ones of larger size.
The system will expand the volume automatically.
During the Volume Manipulation procedure the data on the system will still be online for use

post #18 of 21 Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

How does X-Raid differ from Synology Volume Expansion?

X-RAID is the same as Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR). Just different names for automatic volume expansion and RAID level management.

In this NAS market, it is just a matter of pricing and how much invested you are already in that company's offerings.

For example, if your SMB is a NTGR house (with multiple Netgear switches and other equipment), it makes sense to buy into NTGR again for the NAS because all your support dealing is with one company.

If you are a long time Synology user and you are already happy with their units / support, I see no reason why you should shift to these new units just because they are $50 or $100 cheaper [ taken in context, obviously -- For some SMBs, $100 matters too ]

Edit: Forgot to mention that Synology allows you to keep your existing disks by attaching expansion units, but NTGR forces you to replace existing disks with bigger disks if you have already filled up all the bays in your NAS. This might be a downside for some users. Maybe NTGR should look into making expansion units too (Not really sure how many consumers Synology is retaining by offering those extension units)

Ganesh T S
post #19 of 21 Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Liked: 11
I am also biased where NAS devices are concerned toward the ReadyNAS line. We still have one of the original ReadyNAS devices from about 7 years ago. It's still running and has 4 terabytes of data on it. One very important thing is that the latest update to the firmware works on this old box. How many companies are still providing updates on 7 year old equipment? I also have an NVX which has been trouble free except for a drive dying which was replaced by Netgear under warranty.

That said their support for their media servers hasn't been anywhere near as good.

Alan
post #20 of 21 Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Bob - Any answer yet on TiVo support?
post #21 of 21 Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblum View Post

Bob - Any answer yet on TiVo support?

My apologies for not responding sooner. But the answer I got is no at this time. You can archive from the Tivo but cannot use these units in the same way the older ReadyNas products can.

Engineering stated if they get enough requests for this they can put it on the the enhancement list but it is not likely.

Bob
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page