Best DLNA client? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like many of you have done away with discs and choose to store my media content on a Synology NAS, which is also a DLNA server. My problem is finding a suitable DLNA client that can play all my content. I have everything from mp3, flac, mpeg, mpeg2/dvd, divx, and of course mkv files with Dolby true hd and DTS master audio. So of course I would like a box that will stream everything and pass the content unaltered to my reciever via hdmi. As far as I know the only thing that can do everything I request is a PC, however this is not a very user friendly solution. I am missing something?

Thanks,
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
1st) stop worrying or caring about DNLA, it is mostly useless... from your list of formats, most players support those, and also most support grabbing them from the NAS without needing DNLA...
2nd) I would think most can send Dolby true hd and DTS master audio to HDMI without touching it as they just need to pass it through, I think the only issue most would have is trying to convert it to something non-stock (ie PCM/spdif/analog/etc)... but this you should probably check with each streamer you look at...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #3 of 3 Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yeah forget DLNA it is a waste of time and Synology's DLNA server is buggy on top of that.

Take a look at the Popbox V8 as a player or the Popcornhour A-300 which has more features (same base codec support). Another option are the HDI Dune players.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page