post #271 of 425 Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Well that's the deal killer. If it doesn't support .ts or .m2ts 3D files then there's no need to 'upgrade' since the only benefit I get is BD .iso's and that's not enough to upgrade.

PCH A-300 owner (always keep firmware updated). I tried a BD ISO of Fast Five (which contains multiple m2ts files) I made and you could see a slight pause as it went from m2ts to m2ts (where those points are) which was annoying and half way through playing the ISO the PCH locked up and didn't come back. The ISO was on a hard drive directly connected to the PCH (no networking involved). I've never tried another ISO after this experience. I've never had a problem playing m2ts files on the PCH (a plus of the PCH over WDTV is you get the advanced soundtracks like DTS-HD MA which was a selling point for me). Perhaps the PCH has a problem with ISOs that were made based on movies that have multiple m2ts files, I don't know but it has made me trigger shy to try it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 425 Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

PCH A-300 owner (always keep firmware updated). I tried a BD ISO of Fast Five (which contains multiple m2ts files) I made and you could see a slight pause as it went from m2ts to m2ts (where those points are) which was annoying and half way through playing the ISO the PCH locked up and didn't come back. The ISO was on a hard drive directly connected to the PCH (no networking involved). I've never tried another ISO after this experience. I've never had a problem playing m2ts files on the PCH (a plus of the PCH over WDTV is you get the advanced soundtracks like DTS-HD MA which was a selling point for me). Perhaps the PCH has a problem with ISOs that were made based on movies that have multiple m2ts files, I don't know but it has made me trigger shy to try it again.

This is a known issue (I confirmed when I reviewed). Unfortunately all players that don't have a BD License struggle to some extent with Seamless Branch Blu rays. Your best bet would be to simply run those through Clown_BD to create a single m2ts file (this is what I do)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #273 of 425 Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just curious if anyone following this thread would rather have a Dune or other setup. I have ordered the A300 but have a couple of people urging me to get a Dune instead.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #274 of 425 Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have both and prefer my Dune simply from a stability standpoint

Cheers,
Damian

post #275 of 425 Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Dune owners tend to do that, but then that is common with most people in this hobby/obsession. Damian's opinion is always relevant and appreciated though.
post #276 of 425 Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Both dune and pch are solid companies for a new customer the price of DUNE is what put me off of them though, If you are on this forum you will get more people saying go DUNE as everyone that owns a dune uses this forum lol,

But it all comes down to personal preference there are things the Dune does better that the pch does not or vice versa so whatever works for you keep with it.
post #277 of 425 Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Exactly. I tried Dune quite a while ago, when Prime was released, but at the time decided on PCH, which had C-200 out then. Since then, I've just stuck with PCH, but have an A-300 now. I came close to getting a Dune D1 just to try it out, but after the price increase, I'm less inclined to. I can afford it, but why pay the premium? I know Dune owners' favorite line is "it just works", but PCH just works fine as well.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #278 of 425 Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Exactly. I tried Dune quite a while ago, when Prime was released, but at the time decided on PCH, which had C-200 out then. Since then, I've just stuck with PCH, but have an A-300 now. I came close to getting a Dune D1 just to try it out, but after the price increase, I'm less inclined to. I can afford it, but why pay the premium? I know Dune owners' favorite line is "it just works", but PCH just works fine as well.

I agree with you. The Dune are excellent player, but after the price increase, I don't think it is worth buying. A lot of people at my work place (over 1000 employees and growing) have seen my set up, and they have been asking me about building something for them. So far I know of approximately 6 of them buying the PCH-A300 instead of the Dune just due to pricing alone. However, two other people bought the Dune players because they liked the Zappiti jukebox.

I am not sure how Dune is going to stay in business with those prices.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #279 of 425 Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

This is a known issue (I confirmed when I reviewed). Unfortunately all players that don't have a BD License struggle to some extent with Seamless Branch Blu rays. Your best bet would be to simply run those through Clown_BD to create a single m2ts file (this is what I do)

Know of a list of blurays that have the main movie split across m2ts / require a seamless branch?
post #280 of 425 Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

I posted for help on the NMT forums but that place is a bit of a ghost town lately. Hopefully it picks up soon and I can get some help. In the meantime, I thought I'd try here.

I have a new A-300 with a 1TB internal HDD. NMT Apps have been installed, and I started the Samba Server. However, I can't seem to create the NMJ.

I have added a network share to a small collection of blu-ray folders on my PC. I can browse the share through the A-300 and play all of the video files. I have set sharing of the source folders to read/write access for everyone.

When I go to create the NMJ, I get a message that "An error has ocurred. Do you want to retry?"

Any ideas what I can try to get this sorted out? Is there someway I can get more details on the error so I can continue to troubleshoot? With such a vague error message, I don't really know where to troubleshoot.
post #281 of 425 Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post

I posted for help on the NMT forums but that place is a bit of a ghost town lately. Hopefully it picks up soon and I can get some help. In the meantime, I thought I'd try here.

I have a new A-300 with a 1TB internal HDD. NMT Apps have been installed, and I started the Samba Server. However, I can't seem to create the NMJ.

I have added a network share to a small collection of blu-ray folders on my PC. I can browse the share through the A-300 and play all of the video files. I have set sharing of the source folders to read/write access for everyone.

When I go to create the NMJ, I get a message that "An error has ocurred. Do you want to retry?"

Any ideas what I can try to get this sorted out? Is there someway I can get more details on the error so I can continue to troubleshoot? With such a vague error message, I don't really know where to troubleshoot.

On NMJ stuff i suggest contacting support and see what they say. A lot of the most active users dont run NMJ so we are not much help when it comes to that. Is it an NFS share?
post #282 of 425 Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

It's been a little while since I started experimenting with my A-300 and I had to move on to other things.

Lke you I set up a share on a small RAID attached to my PC (until I can execute on a media server in the basement), but I took the YAMJ/Eversion route. It was a chore to get configured, but it's working smoothly now. And then I installed YAYMAN - Yet Another YAMJ manager - which adds a GUI to the tweaky YAMJ setup and maintenance.

Jeff
post #283 of 425 Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundForSound View Post

Know of a list of blurays that have the main movie split across m2ts / require a seamless branch?

Fast Five is one...
post #284 of 425 Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Fast Five is one...

I know on Dune if I play Sherlock Holmes or Despicable Me using bluray light - they both stutter after 5-10 mins. Playing from the full menu they play fine - so was wondering if this was do to seamless branching or something else...
post #285 of 425 Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundForSound View Post

I know on Dune if I play Sherlock Holmes or Despicable Me using bluray light - they both stutter after 5-10 mins. Playing from the full menu they play fine - so was wondering if this was do to seamless branching or something else...

That's probably the only complaint I've got about Dune. It will not recognize the force subs with any of my M2TS files, but it will recognize it with my MKV files ripped with MakeMKV.

My cheap AIOS media player recognizes the force subs with all of my M2TS files, but it won't with my MKV files.

I don't have that many movies with force subs. So, it doesn't bother me much.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #286 of 425 Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for your replies, guys. I ask because I'm considering canceling my A300 order and getting a D1. But we have only one person here would seem to want to do the same thing, and many who have considered it and decided not to.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #287 of 425 Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I also had the same reaction. I really liked my PCH-C200 but then standardized on Plex and XBMC. Lately I was thinking of getting another player and looked into Dune. Apart from the price issue, which was strange, I just felt better about PCH. Mind you in the end I decided to wait for LG's SP820 with Plex.

Philip
post #288 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

It's been a little while since I started experimenting with my A-300 and I had to move on to other things.

Lke you I set up a share on a small RAID attached to my PC (until I can execute on a media server in the basement), but I took the YAMJ/Eversion route. It was a chore to get configured, but it's working smoothly now. And then I installed YAYMAN - Yet Another YAMJ manager - which adds a GUI to the tweaky YAMJ setup and maintenance.

Jeff

Oddly enough, I was able to get YAMJ+Eversion up and running in under an hour. I like it as a starting point but I really want to try NMJ v2 and other Jukeboxes that will work on the A300.
post #289 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Wireless member

Are we talking about the same thing? NMJ (Networked Media Jukebox) is the native PCH jukebox which many feel is limited and why they go with something like YAMJ. That is my feeling and why I did it.

Jeff
post #290 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's probably the only complaint I've got about Dune. It will not recognize the force subs with any of my M2TS files, but it will recognize it with my MKV files ripped with MakeMKV.

My cheap AIOS media player recognizes the force subs with all of my M2TS files, but it won't with my MKV files.

I don't have that many movies with force subs. So, it doesn't bother me much.

Your Dune recognizes your forced subs in mkvs? I thought that feature was still missing, and forced subs only work in folder rips (which is why I use)

Cheers,
Damian

post #291 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your Dune recognizes your forced subs in mkvs? I thought that feature was still missing, and forced subs only work in folder rips (which is why I use)

Yeah, I did a movie only rip of Avatar, and it recognized the subs. I was surprised as well since it never did this before This is after I updated my MakeMKV to the latest beta.

I didn't watch the whole movie though. I watched the first 20 min or so. I was just testing MakeMKV since I like that it keeps the chapters. However, I observed a little lag when I was playing it at start up. I stopped the movie and restarted the movie again, and the lag went away. I deleted the file since I didn't want to have two copies a M2TS and MKV file. I kept the M2TS.

I also noticed when I ripped the movie with MakeMKV, that it showed "subtitle (force)" when I was selecting the subs english / spanish. So, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with that.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #292 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Yeah, I did a movie only rip of Avatar, and it recognized the subs. I was surprised as well since it never did this before This is after I updated my MakeMKV to the latest beta.

I didn't watch the whole movie though. I watched the first 20 min or so. I was just testing MakeMKV since I'm like that it keeps the chapters. However, I observer a little lag with when I was playing it at start up. I stopped the movie and restarted the movie again, and the lag went away. I deleted the file since I didn't want to have two copies a M2TS and MKV file. I kept the M2TS.

I also notice when I ripped the movie with MakeMKV, that it showed "subtitle (force)" when I was selecting the subs english / spanish. So, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with that.

Sorry, I meant proper recognition of forced subs in mkv (i.e. if you have subs shut off on the Dune the forced subs will still appear). Do you have the subs turned on your Dune by default, because if you do then the Dune will simply display whatever the default subs are in your mkv (which MakeMKV probably flags those as default)

Cheers,
Damian

post #293 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I meant proper recognition of forced subs in mkv (i.e. if you have subs shut off on the Dune the forced subs will still appear). Do you have the subs turned on your Dune by default, because if you do then the Dune will simply display whatever the default subs are in your mkv (which MakeMKV probably flags those as default)

You and I were thinking alike. As soon as I finished typing my other post, I went and checked, and yes the subs were turned on. I guess my wife turned them on a couple of nights ago cause she was watching a movie and didn't want to wake up the kids.

Darn it, I was somewhat happy for a moment. Oh well!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #294 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Are we talking about the same thing? NMJ (Networked Media Jukebox) is the native PCH jukebox which many feel is limited and why they go with something like YAMJ. That is my feeling and why I did it.

Jeff

Yep. I can't get the dang NMJ V2 working but I had YAMJ+Eversion up and working in under an hour. I like it, but I want to explore all my options.

I did have a heck of a time getting the internal hard drive to be recognized but I got over that by formatting while connected through USB and then installing internally.
post #295 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yep. I can't get the dang NMJ V2 working but I had YAMJ+Eversion up and working in under an hour. I like it, but I want to explore all my options.

I did have a heck of a time getting the internal hard drive to be recognized but I got over that by formatting while connected through USB and then installing internally.

Honestly don't bother with NMJv2

Cheers,
Damian

post #296 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly don't bother with NMJv2

+1 When I used to own the A-300 (probably the 2nd month it came out), I had a hard time with the internal NMJ. It looks nice, but it didn't scrape the right information, and it would not let me edit anything.

I contacted PCH via telephone, and they told me it was a bug they were working on, but they didn't have an ETC. I would suggest YAMJ / Eversion. It's probably the most popular and used by a lot of PCH owners.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #297 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't find NMJ v2 bad at all. It's easy to set-up, right from the player, and picks up local posters, fanart and NFO's. Overall, it does a decent job. For incorrect items, you can either fix from the player's UI or via a tool like NMJED3 (what I use) or NMJToolBox2. While I still prefer Eversion/YAMJ, what I like about NMJ v2 is the XMB-like x/y navigation to browse movies. It's fast and looks fairly slick. Where NMJ v2 is weak is TV shows as it simply shows each season as a separate entry with the season poster, as opposed to the show, then drilling into seasons and episodes.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #298 of 425 Old 06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

NMJ is one of them love it or hate it, If you have used something before NMJ like yamj more then likely You will not like NMJ if NMJ is your first jukebox and all your stuff is local NMJ can be a nice feature.
post #299 of 425 Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 AM

FYI I have a bunch of blu ray drives in and I'll be testing them this week for compatibility (compatibility isn't perfect on the C300). I'll let everyone know the results.
post #300 of 425 Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 PM

As promised we've tested 5 blu ray drives. Panasonic is virtually impossible to get working. Stick with LG. Info up on those on our site now.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour A 300 Networked Media Jukebox , Popcorn Hour C 300 Extreme Networked Media Jukebox

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page