*Official* Popcorn Hour A-300 / C-300 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There are a number of threads floating around about the A-300, and the C-300 just launched today:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5195/s...corn-hour-c300

I hope members can use this thread to exchange tips and tricks about both the units. I believe the base firmware / features for both of them are the same (except for the commercial BD support in C-300), so what is applicable for the A-300 must also be relevant to the C-300.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 732
I wonder if it's worth it to upgrade my C200? I wonder if my c200 is even worth anything to sell now? I've had it for two years. I guess my best option might be an A300. although I was really looking forward to a box that uses the dual core chip, but I guess that chip won't be out until next year.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I wonder if it's worth it to upgrade my C200? I wonder if my c200 is even worth anything to sell now? I've had it for two years. I guess my best option might be an A300. although I was really looking forward to a box that uses the dual core chip, but I guess that chip won't be out until next year.

There is not much advantage to a dual core chip in a media streamer unless you use it for non-media related multitasking (like, in a tablet). The SMP lineup already has dedicated processors for decoding audio and handling photo decode (the only multitasking usage scenario I can think of in a media streamer).

As I wrote in the C-300 launch coverage, it is better to invest in and encourage products like the A-300 which deliver full Blu-ray experience without the BDA / AACS licensing hassles. For commercial Blu-rays, just use a HTPC to back up to ISO and then use the A-300 at the frontend.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #4 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

There is not much advantage to a dual core chip in a media streamer unless you use it for non-media related multitasking (like, in a tablet). The SMP lineup already has dedicated processors for decoding audio and handling photo decode (the only multitasking usage scenario I can think of in a media streamer).

This is true to some extent, but from another perspective, all media streamers are multitasking. While playing media, they also need to respond to the user.

Where I see the second core helping out is if it is dedicated to the UI. Two big complaints have always been sluggish and unimpressive user-interfaces. The dual-core SMP may finally address these issues.
post #5 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

As I wrote in the C-300 launch coverage, it is better to invest in and encourage products like the A-300 which deliver full Blu-ray experience without the BDA / AACS licensing hassles. For commercial Blu-rays, just use a HTPC to back up to ISO and then use the A-300 at the frontend.

You can also just use a PC running Any DVD HD and share out the BD drive. Then you can play the BD over the network with the media players.

the Sigma dual core chip is supposed having scaling and video processing features as well as 3D and a faster processor. Which over all should still make it faster than the A/C 300 products.

This was why I was looking at that chip. But it will probably be priced high as well. So the A300 will probably fit my current needs. The only thing with the C300 I would want is the RF remote capability since I have my C200 hidden from view. But with the A300 which is much smaller, I can put that in a number of locations.

post #6 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Has there been any word on when the A300 will show up at Amazon?

post #7 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yes, they said 3 months after release via their own storefront.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #8 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I guess that would put it around February then.

I'd love to order one from them now but I find it hard to swallow that if I got a defective one that I'd have to pay to send it back. Maybe if it failed after 30 days it would be a little easier to swallow but if I got one right off the bat I wouldn't be a happy camper. Not a very good customer policy in my opinion.
post #9 of 429 Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Liked: 10
Expected more from the flagship ...
C-300 should not have been released without proper 3D support (frame packing).
It is still expensive and it does not offer integrated bd drive like the dune max , or dual hdd bays like the duo.
Ok, it has a newer chip but in the end , it will play the same things as the dune a200/210/300 , dune max/smart/prime will , either from lan or external hdd's.
A-300 is a way better offer ...
Probably mid '12 will be the time for syabas/dune to offer 3d players to the market with sigma 8910.
Until then , i am sticking with my H1 and netgear 550 ...
post #10 of 429 Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
ahhh while i love my A300 now they release also a C300 crap i hate electronics , i think i need to buy that also, then i think i will sell all my C200 and A210
post #11 of 429 Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:

That's not always a feasible option though, between storage and copy protection removal.

Also, what's your opinion of the built-in NMJ/scraper? I really do not want to setup/maintain aftermarket solutions for my streamer, but I haven't heard much of anything about it.
post #12 of 429 Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post

Expected more from the flagship ...
C-300 should not have been released without proper 3D support (frame packing).
It is still expensive and it does not offer integrated bd drive like the dune max , or dual hdd bays like the duo.
Ok, it has a newer chip but in the end , it will play the same things as the dune a200/210/300 , dune max/smart/prime will , either from lan or external hdd's.
A-300 is a way better offer ...
Probably mid '12 will be the time for syabas/dune to offer 3d players to the market with sigma 8910.
Until then , i am sticking with my H1 and netgear 550 ...

Sigh...Im sorry but you're off here.

The A200/210/300 doesnt "officially" support full menus. I own an A200 and it does support full menus, but as time goes on, I have a feeling it'll have trouble with menus. The C200's last firmware update was for BD menu's, the A200 didnt get that update. Probably Syabas renewing (or something) their BD license and porting the expired one to the A2xx.

Anyway, Sigma doesnt have a chip that supports 3D. The 8910 is vaporware. I'll believe it when I see it. It was supposed to be available "the first half of 2011".

If you're going to use that argument about the old players play the same thing as the new players, then the A2xx/C2xx and the old Dune's will be the "best players" for a number of years until 3D iso's are supported.
post #13 of 429 Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
post #14 of 429 Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 156
subscribed

- it's never done!

post #15 of 429 Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 PM

NO 3D???????
post #16 of 429 Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

the Sigma dual core chip is supposed having scaling and video processing features as well as 3D and a faster processor.

Hmm ... I just bought a passive 3D TV made by LG. I am confused as to what is doing the 3D. Isn't it the TV? Certainly you can play 3D clips now from almost any media player. I've done it through my ATV2. The connection has to be HDMI (wouldn't play when I hooked up the C200 via component). Are you talking about 3D coming from a media player to a 2D TV? Perhaps active 3D is different than passive?

I can imagine that a full 3D Blu-ray would require a lot of throughput to the TV. But in principle you can already play 3D stuff on a TV from even a basic player. The Avatar trailer played just fine from my players to the 3D TV.

philip
post #17 of 429 Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 PM

This may seem as an odd question, but since I am fairly poor on computer and such technologies I need to ask before buying the wrong unit.

One of the media player I am seriously considering is the Popcorn Hour A-300, which specification says it can accommodate a 3.5" disk. My question is if there is a maximum storage size the A-300 can handle? I would like to install a 3TB disk if possible.
post #18 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgrhe View Post

This may seem as an odd question, but since I am fairly poor on computer and such technologies I need to ask before buying the wrong unit.

One of the media player I am seriously considering is the Popcorn Hour A-300, which specification says it can accommodate a 3.5" disk. My question is if there is a maximum storage size the A-300 can handle? I would like to install a 3TB disk if possible.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wi...tibility_Lists
post #19 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Wireless member

Plus I thought I read some chatter about what format was used ...

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #20 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Cinavia enabled or, through firmware update????

"Note that Cinavia will be applicable to this unit, as it is an AACS licensed system. However, whether it will be implemented or not is an unknown at this point of time. AACS mandates February 2012 as the cut-off date for all BD players to implement Cinavia. However, it might be only for players manufactured after that date, and it may not make it into previous systems through forced firmware upgrades."

If it is, it's useless as a streamer.
post #21 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habe View Post

Cinavia enabled or, through firmware update????

"Note that Cinavia will be applicable to this unit, as it is an AACS licensed system. However, whether it will be implemented or not is an unknown at this point of time. AACS mandates February 2012 as the cut-off date for all BD players to implement Cinavia. However, it might be only for players manufactured after that date, and it may not make it into previous systems through forced firmware upgrades."

If it is, it's useless as a streamer.

We don't know yet. If you are worried about Cinavia, better to go with the A-300 (unless you need an RF remote or support for a BD drive and playback of protected discs). Eventually, all BR players are going to be affected by Cinavia. But, I am sure Syabas is going to do as much as possible to avoid including it in the firmware.. (but, it might not be in their hands)

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #22 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Wireless member

Won't that DRM be neutralized for personal backups, sooner or later, by an AnyDVD or a DVDFab allowing us to continue ripping to our media servers and streaming over ethernet?

- it's never done!

post #23 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Won't that DRM be neutralized for personal backups, sooner or later, by an AnyDVD or a DVDFab allowing us to continue ripping to our media servers and streaming over ethernet?

Assuming that you already have a general idea about what Cinavia is (audio watermarking), you can follow Post #16 onwards in this thread. As it currently stands, I don't think it is possible to remove the 'DRM' without losing the original HD audio..

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #24 of 429 Old 12-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Assuming that you already have a general idea about what Cinavia is (audio watermarking), you can follow Post #16 onwards in this thread. As it currently stands, I don't think it is possible to remove the 'DRM' without losing the original HD audio..

Careful with assuming. I will check the link - thanks!

- it's never done!

post #25 of 429 Old 12-17-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Isn't it also capable of affecting a recording if a movie with Cinavia is playing in the background? Say you are making a home video with the movie playing in the background. When you play that video on a cinavia capabale player it will supposedly still detect it.

post #26 of 429 Old 12-17-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:

Isn't it also capable of affecting a recording if a movie with Cinavia is playing in the background? Say you are making a home video with the movie playing in the background. When you play that video on a cinavia capable player it will supposedly still detect it.

Yes, if you happen to catch a watermark. Watermarks are interspersed throughout the movie, and is designed to survive re-recording.

So, if you happen to capture a watermark in your home-video, the player will act as if it caught you with a cam-corder copy of a theatrical release. That's what it was originally designed to do.
post #27 of 429 Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
A-300 review finally live:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...h-a300-review/

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #28 of 429 Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Really nice review. Any way to use it with a Plex server?

Gary J

post #29 of 429 Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Really nice review. Any way to use it with a Plex server?

Never used Plex Server. How exactly would you use Plex, as a UPnP server to the PCH?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #30 of 429 Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It is a client app in Google TV with the Plex server on a PC and works quite well. Also the client app on my Android cell phone. I believe also it supposedly can be finagled to work on UPnP devices but I have not attempted that. It does nifty things like a bookmark on your browser (or extension in Google Chrome) will snag video links off of a web page and it will be in your client libraries ready for play. Your library can also have folders from your PC, other Plex servers and stuff in the cloud.

Gary J

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour A 300 Networked Media Jukebox , Popcorn Hour C 300 Extreme Networked Media Jukebox

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page