suggest me a cheap wifi realtek player and a NAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-17-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All
Please recommend me a good realtek player with built-in wifi to play contents from a NAS.A not too expensive media player around $100,but fast boot time,fanless and good UI.

I want to place two wifi media players in two rooms and wants to play .flv (downloaded from youtube ),avi,mkv files that i can load onto a NAS so that the contents are available on both media players anytime in both rooms wirelessly as i can not run cables.

Also Please suggest me a cheap (around$100) NAS that i can connect to my router and those two media players wirelessly and don't have to keep my PC ON all day,prefer one with a USB host to add thumb drives as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

anyone??
any good media player and a NAS anyone can suggest???
post #3 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM

I bought one of these (HD680) a couple of weeks ago to replace my WDTV (original model).

Most of my videos are mkv (x264 and ac3), but I did play a couple of xvid encoded & tried .m2ts with DTS-HD and it played all of them fine. I have my tv connected with HDMI and no surround sound system.

In my opinion, the weak point in the unit is the remote control, specifically that the remote needs to be pointed directly at the unit even if I'm only 15ft away. I had a Poloroid DVR that acted the same way and some people replaced the LED in the remote, but I'm not that adventuresome at this point.

I have a WD Mybook network drive that I store my videos on. The network drive does not show up under the Movies icon. If I browse through the File Manager icon, I need to go through UPNP rather than go through the Network icon otherwise the movies are not sorted alphabetically. There doesn't seem to be a way to sort the movie titles. I have exchanged emails with sales/support to try to work through this and hopefully improve the unit via a firmware update. It will give a sort option on a drive connected via USB.

I am not using the wireless, I have the unit hardwired to a network switch.

Overall, I really like the unit.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I looked at but did not play with the KD680. I didn't pick one up because I don't like the way they do the external hard drive connection.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #5 of 5 Old 12-24-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the posts...but kdLinks HD680 remote slow response is a dealbreaker for me.
also i can not hard wire my network so looking for something with wifi that can play contents from a good and cheap nas.

POPBOX v8 with wifi adapter looks more intresting to me. Can anyone share some experience here with this box. i know its not realtek.or should it be better to wait for realtek 1186 chipset players ?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page