AVS Forum banner

Micca EP950!

169K views 2K replies 174 participants last post by  ikev 
#1 ·

Please post any reviews, comments, experiences, comparisons with other media player about this player.

IT APPEARS SUPPORT FOR THIS MEDIA PLAYER HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED.

It appears support for this product is only via email.

Micca only has a 30 day return / exchange policy with 1 year limited warranty.  If you get a defective unit, the buyer will have to open an RMA and pay for shipping.  It will be up to Micca to either repair or replace the unit.

#27 ·
Can anyone help with setting up the EP950 with Windows 7? I've started the Samba process on the EP950 settings and enabled media sharing on W7. Should I be able to see the EP950 from "view network computers and devices" or do I need install a Samba client on W7? Or, enter "\\\\EP950\\" from Start -> Run?

Any insight would be appreciated.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams /forum/post/21445381

How does one ensure that the original boot code remains intact while cross flashing?

There are extra files/steps needed to flash the boot code, so as long as you are just flashing the firmware itself, the boot code will be intact. So there is nothing to worry about for most people.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkfried /forum/post/21448846

Can anyone help with setting up the EP950 with Windows 7? I've started the Samba process on the EP950 settings and enabled media sharing on W7. Should I be able to see the EP950 from "view network computers and devices" or do I need install a Samba client on W7? Or, enter "\\\\EP950\\" from Start -> Run?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Once you turn on SAMBA file sharing and have a drive installed/attached to the EP950, it should show up on your network. In Windows 7, it should show up when you click on Network in file manager.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler /forum/post/21453390

is there any difference between the guts of the 350,600 and 950 other than gigabit lan speeds? Not interested in the hard drive option as all my blu ray rips are on a nas.

The himedia 900A is due out this month, and is $99 without a hard drive bay. At least that's what I read.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@Micca /forum/post/21451442

There are extra files/steps needed to flash the boot code, so as long as you are just flashing the firmware itself, the boot code will be intact. So there is nothing to worry about for most people.

Before cross flashing with another Realtek 1186 vendor's firmware, it would be a good idea to make sure you already have the .img file for the exact replacement firmware that matches your player. This would allow a "safe mode recovery" if that is ever needed. The safe mode replaces the boot code that Jack@Micca mentioned.

Here's a link to helpful info I collected for the Realtek 1186 box firmware.

Especially see the section titled, "important Consideration."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21461204

#39 ·
The EP950 is current out of stock on Amazon but should be available again within the next week or so. They are on American soil.

Both the EP350 and EP600 uses the 1185 chip while the EP950 uses 1186. All of which will support external hard drives attached via USB. The EP600 and EP950 has an external SATA connector, and the EP950 further has an internal SATA bay. It's not necessary to install a hard drive in the EP950 to use it.

#40 ·
1. When I merge two 1080p AVCHD .MTS files together into a MKV file by using mkvtoolnix tool, the merged video plays but not smooth anymore - for every few second, it jumps 1 second. The original 1080p MTS file plays smoothly.

2. The player popped up error message saying audio is too slow and not recoverable when I play 720p MKV files with AC3 audio stream.

3. The home screen splashes during reboot or return from previous screen.

4. The last is I was hoping the box can play Panasonic MOD files as I have lots of videos from my old Panasonic camcorder. The .MOD file format is similar to .MPG file format as if you change the file extension from .MOD to .MPG, it plays fine. But why not directly adding support? Just a suggestion.

Haven't tried networking functions...

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@Micca /forum/post/21451447

Once you turn on SAMBA file sharing and have a drive installed/attached to the EP950, it should show up on your network. In Windows 7, it should show up when you click on Network in file manager.

Thanks for your response, Jack. I can actually access the EP950 by way of "\\\\ip-address", but I cannot see it from my Windows 7 Explorer's Network view, as you described. Any thoughts?

Anyhow, I am getting Samba transfer rate (write) of around 11 MB/sec from my PC. I've got a Cisco E3000 (Gigabit) running between my PC and EP950. Is it possible to achieve a faster speed?

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@Micca /forum/post/21470699

and the EP950 further has an internal SATA bay. It's not necessary to install a hard drive in the EP950 to use it.

Jack, has anyone ever reported stuttering while playing MKVs off the hard drive? That is what I have experienced with my player when I installed an 1Tb Hitachi drive in it. The playback stuttered to the point the movie was totally unwatchable... When played from the network that same file has been played more or less fine...

#44 ·
Jack@Micca:

I've had two of my .iso backups play director's commentary with no access to the feature. The offending files are Sherlock Holmes and Watchmen.

I've seen workarounds using tsmuxer and others, but I got this player to play .iso files...

Thanks for your and the development team's efforts.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkfried /forum/post/21474438

Thanks for your response, Jack. I can actually access the EP950 by way of "\\\\ip-address", but I cannot see it from my Windows 7 Explorer's Network view, as you described. Any thoughts?

Anyhow, I am getting Samba transfer rate (write) of around 11 MB/sec from my PC. I've got a Cisco E3000 (Gigabit) running between my PC and EP950. Is it possible to achieve a faster speed?

That's strange, it sounds as if the player's host name isn't being broadcasted by the DHCP server. Does the EP950 list out the other devices on your network when you go to browse the network connections?

The transfer speed sounds about right. This is a few MB/s faster than players with a 100mbps link. The gigabit connection does make transfers faster, but it will not be as fast as a computer. I would compare this to the USB port on certain WiFi routers that let you attach and share a disk out. Those devices also are limited to transfers in the 10-15MB/s range.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu.klear /forum/post/21476816

Jack, has anyone ever reported stuttering while playing MKVs off the hard drive? That is what I have experienced with my player when I installed an 1Tb Hitachi drive in it. The playback stuttered to the point the movie was totally unwatchable... When played from the network that same file has been played more or less fine...

Can you provide a MediaInfo output of the MKV that exhibits this issue? Is it all files or just specific ones? Also, try connecting the HDD to the external SATA port to see if the behavior changes.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Mover /forum/post/21485229

Jack@Micca:

I've had two of my .iso backups play director's commentary with no access to the feature. The offending files are Sherlock Holmes and Watchmen.

I've seen workarounds using tsmuxer and others, but I got this player to play .iso files...

Thanks for your and the development team's efforts.

Hi,

Are the director's commentary included as a separate audio track like it typically is?

#48 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@Micca
Can you provide a MediaInfo output of the MKV that exhibits this issue?
Please see attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@Micca
Is it all files or just specific ones?
I've tested only with few, but it was observed for all of them...

Red Riding Hood.txt 4.21484375k . file

Attachments

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@Micca /forum/post/21486845

Hi,

Are the director's commentary included as a separate audio track like it typically is?

I believe in both cases the director's commentary is a completely different video file with a matching audio track. There is no way to exit this file to a menu. The .iso files in question play with menus from a server to a different media player, but I am playing them in the ep950 through an internal sata hdd, if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Mover /forum/post/21488981

I believe in both cases the director's commentary is a completely different video file with a matching audio track. There is no way to exit this file to a menu. The .iso files in question play with menus from a server to a different media player, but I am playing them in the ep950 through an internal sata hdd, if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

Is the ISO main movie only or 1:1 rip? If it is a main the find the correct video file to rip and re-rip it.

If it is a 1:1 rip then you can change the soundtrack. If you don't have a secondary sound track then re-rip the ISO file with HD and AC3 track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.