Micca EP950! - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1655 Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't believe it...I have various videos of various formats & sizes.
How is it a video w/a a ratio of 352x240 still cuts off a bit on top and the bottom of the video?
I asked before, (nobody answered), about the 'info' button display is cutoff on the sides...
and it's happening w/video...anyone having the same prob?
It's a nice machine but this is a def drawback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1655 Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
I've seen load of 3D in micca and never experience what you describing .

Heres the step I've done so far trying to replicate what you did.....

micca > movie 2d> micca 3d simulation > works ok
micca >movei 2d> micca 3d side by side >KO
micca >movie 2d > micca 3d top bottom > KO

micca> movie 2d >tv 3d simulation > works ok
micca >movie 2d >tv 3d side by side >KO
micca >2d movie>tv 3d top bottom >KO

micca> movie 3d > samsung identify 3d >works ok (no more options to chose in samsung )
micca >movie 3d > change to 2d >works ok ( no more options to chose in micca)

micca >movie 3d > micca change to 2d > go to tv > tv chose 3d simulation >works ok
micca >movie 3d> micca change to 2d > go to tv >tv chose side by side >KO
micca > movie 3d >micca change to 2d > go to tv > tv chose top bottom >KO

cable tv > movie hd> 3d simulation >works ok
cable tv >movie hd > side by side >KO
cable tv >movie hd > top-bottom >KO

cable tv 3D ( experimental channel cabovisao that two images is watched side by side in 2D)

cable tv 3D> samsung 3d simulation >KO
cable tv 3D>samsung 3d >side by side > WORKS OK with glasses on
cable tv 3D> samsung 3d > top bottom > KO

how can i create a file that shows me side by side, like this experimental cable tv 3D, to try it in micca......can i record from cable tv 3D and try in another source ?
thanks
canton

Projector Mitsubishi HC5

Projector Optoma hd300x 

Av receiver Onkyo TX-NR 818

Oppo 103D

Media player Med1000x3D

KEN KREISEL DXD-808 

Q7000 5.1

post #993 of 1655 Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanmet View Post

I can't believe it...I have various videos of various formats & sizes.
How is it a video w/a a ratio of 352x240 still cuts off a bit on top and the bottom of the video?
I asked before, (nobody answered), about the 'info' button display is cutoff on the sides...
and it's happening w/video...anyone having the same prob?
It's a nice machine but this is a def drawback.

Just change the picture size or use zoom from your TV.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #994 of 1655 Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
How was that clip encoded?
post #995 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 AM

@gus -- I did change the tv settings @ micca settings. When i play it on the comp &
compare w/tv display its obvious. Multiple videos show same thing.

@Tiddle -- I downloaded the clips, one was avi another was mkv.
but that has happened w/multiple formats. I have an old crt 34" wega tv,
HD ready. I'm using the HDM output.
post #996 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@gus -- I did change the tv settings @ micca settings. When i play it on the comp &
compare w/tv display its obvious. Multiple videos show same thing.
@Tiddle -- I downloaded the clips, one was avi another was mkv.
but that has happened w/multiple formats. I have an old crt 34" wega tv,
HD ready. I'm using the HDM output.

I see. My Dune D1 will pretty much play 4:3 movies to 16x9 by itself. My PCH-A210 will play the original format of the movie, which some SD movies I've got is like a small rectangle in my 50" Plasma eek.gif Luckily, the PCH has a zoom option, and it will cover the whole TV without making it appear stretched out.

I've got about 4 movies, that I will have to use the Picture Size / Zoom in my TV to fill the screen.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #997 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM

no doubt this is a nice player. But if I compare alot of the videos on the Tv w/the computer, i notice the cut off.
Even the display (when info button is pressed) is partially cut off on the sides.
Maybe its my setup but this is annoying.
Then i play an mkv file w/embedded subs and i can resize & lower the
position of the displayed text and i'm like, this is awesome.
Love hate thing w/me.
post #998 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no doubt this is a nice player. But if I compare alot of the videos on the Tv w/the computer, i notice the cut off.
Even the display (when info button is pressed) is partially cut off on the sides.
Maybe its my setup but this is annoying.
Then i play an mkv file w/embedded subs and i can resize & lower the
position of the displayed text and i'm like, this is awesome.
Love hate thing w/me.

Yeah, I understand your dilemma. I love my Dune D1 and PCH-A210, but there are little things that bother the hell out of me with certain movies. The thing I hate the most of the Dune is that it won't recognize the Force Subs 100% of the time. The thing I hate the most of the PCH-A210 is upgrading the YAMJ, and zooming SD movies as well. However, I can't complaint since I don't really have that many movies that required Force Subs, and most of the SD movies are pretty old anyway, and my wife is that one who likes to watch them over and over and over and over and over and over.....did I mention my wife likes watching those old movies over and over again! rolleyes.gifmad.gif I love my wife, but some times she drives me bananas.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #999 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
@zanmet,

It really sounds like your tv is cropping the video. Are you sure you have your tv set to not crop? There should be a setting for either "just" or "screen fit" or "1:1 pixel mapping" or perhaps something else depending on the tv brand - they're all the same thing - it means the tv will do no cropping. If you set the tv to 16:9 then likely it will crop the image - you have to set the tv specifically to not crop by selecting a mode like the one I mentioned. If I set my Samsung to 16:9 it crops - if I set it to "screen fit" it doesn't crop. That's just how these tvs are. 16:9 always crops a bit. That's why there's always a specific setting for no cropping. It's called pixel mapping and it means in that mode the tv displays each and every pixel 1:1, with no cropping.

EDIT: I'm thinking now that since you're using a CRT then there's probably nothing you can do, and it's not the Micca's fault - all CRT televisions crop - it's called overscan, and it means it zooms and crops a bit of the image. You have no control over overscan - different CRTs have different amounts of overscan, meaning they all crop a bit differently. Newer HDTVs have settings like I mentioned to avoid this. But CRTs have always had the overscan issue, which is what you're likely having an issue with.

Something else I noticed in the manual that might help - since you are using a CRT TV, and that is likely the reason you're experiencing cropping, you should try setting the Micca's "Video Zoom" setting under Video Settings to "CRT TV Over Scan". According to the manual, "Videos are displayed slightly zoomed out. Use this setting only if the TV applies an over-scan that cannot be turned off, such as many CRT TVs). It basically zooms out a bit more than it normally should so when your CRT TV over-scans and zooms in a bit it will hopefully not crop out as much since the Micca is compensating for the zooming your TV is doing.
post #1000 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay here's some pics I took tonight of the strange bar I've been getting when playing sbs files in 2D mode:

http://postimage.org/image/3mf58pto5/
This image was of the Micca playing a sbs file, in 2D mode, with the tv manually in 3D. Click the link and click the image again for full size. Notice the bar on the left of the tv screen - it's mirroring what's happening on the right of the screen.

http://postimage.org/image/n92w9wfc7/
This is the same sbs video in the Micca, in 3D sbs mode (frame-packed). No bar.

http://postimage.org/image/7g0dba7it/
Here's another shot in the Micca, shortly after the first one - again, a sbs file, in 2D mode, with the tv manually in 3D. Again you can see the bar.

http://postimage.org/image/vh1acapp5/
Again, the same scene in the Micca, in 3D sbs frame-packed mode. No bar.

http://postimage.org/image/gbj7wcfu9/
This last one is the same sbs file playing in my WDTV Live, in 2D, with the tv manually in 3D (the WDTV has no 3D mode). No bar.

You can see that when playing sbs files in 2D mode, and switching the tv to 3D manually, the Micca creates a bar on the left side of the screen that reflects what is happening on the far right of the screen. When playing the same files in 3D frame-packed mode, which automatically triggers the tv to go into 3D, there is no bar. The last image shows the same file playing on the WDTV Live, which has no 3D mode and is therefore sending the image as sbs, and you can see that it is fine, no bar. Only the Micca creates the bar, and only when playing sbs files in 2D mode. 3D mode = no bar. I can't figure out what the problem is, and that bar is very distracting to say the least. I can't always use 3D mode because depending on the framerate if the file isn't 23.976 then I need to use 2D mode since frame-packed only works in 24Hz mode. I like the Micca interface better than the WDTV overall but right now I can't use the Micca for sbs files because of this issue. Does anybody have any idea what would cause this?

The Micca is connected via HDMI and I have tried the video settings on auto, 1080p@60, and 720p@60. The line is always there regardless of what I select for video output. The file I was using to take the photos was in 23.976 and I tried the Micca in both 60Hz mode and 24Hz mode, it made no difference.
post #1001 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Liked: 16
The "reflection" is due by the fact that the 2D image is not centered properly so that when the right eye image is scaled part of the left eye image is inside of the scaling window. In 2D, the line between the left and right views should be centered horizontally, but in your case the image is shifted a little to the right. This issue could be caused by the Micca or the display.
post #1002 of 1655 Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

That's interesting. Well, if it was the display, the same thing would happen when playing the files with my blu-ray player, the WDTV Live, and the tv's internal media player, right? Since the Micca is the only player that gives me that bar or reflection, it must be the Micca it would seem. But why is the Micca doing this is the question. Is it just my EP950 or is this happening with all the units? I'd imagine if it was happening on everybody's units we would have heard of it before now. Do I have a bad player? Is there a setting in the Micca to adjust centering? I looked all through the manual and didn't see anything about adjusting and centering the screen. I know I can do that with my tv but like I said it only happens with the Micca, if it was the tv it would be doing it with all my devices.
post #1003 of 1655 Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM

I was wondering what the difference between the micca ep600 g2 and the micca ep950? Which one would people suggest to buy, and why I should buy either one over the competitors (if not what should I by)
post #1004 of 1655 Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I have confirmed that my issue with the "mirrored" bar when playing sbs files is due to the Micca not correctly centering the video during video output. This is based on Hokeysmoke's information above, in comment #1001.

To test this theory, I used the "5-Sharpness & Overscan.mp4" file that is found on the AVS calibration disc. I have uploaded the file for those here who want to use the same test file I used in my tests:

http://depositfiles.com/files/aoc6egsa4

I played this file on all my media players - you will notice the text "Outside white line indicates no overscan". This means if the very thin white line on the very outside edge of the video is viewable evenly on all 4 sides of the tv screen, there is no overscan. If some or all of the white edges cannot be seen, either the player is not putting out the video centered properly, or the tv is doing some overscan. I tried this only in 2D mode because that is how the SBS files are being played, which is resulting in that left "mirrored" bar. To test this, of course make sure your tv is set to no overscan (just, 1:1 pixel mapping, screen fit (Samsung), etc.). Here are the results:

Test File: 5-Sharpness & Overscan

- Samsung LCD ES7500 built-in media player: no overscan, all 4 white edges visible, perfectly centered

- Panasonic DMP-BDT320 blu-ray player: no overscan, all 4 white edges visible, perfectly centered

- WD TV Live Streaming Media Player: no overscan, all 4 white edges visible, perfectly centered

- Micca EP950 (fixed version) / firmware 1.0.3.9: not centered, right and bottom lines not visible, image is being shifted to the right and down

This should prove that the Micca is not centering the image properly, which is resulting in sbs playback producing the "mirrored" bar on the left of the screen, as Hokeysmoke suggested above.

This is a hard one to believe, really. Come on, Micca. This is basic stuff - I can't believe that the Micca doesn't properly center the output video. Clearly this is what is responsible for the bar I'm experiencing on the left of the screen. It's obvious that the the player shifts the image to the right and down several pixels, enough to cut off the test pattern, and enough to throw off the tv when going into 3D mode. I'm not sure if the same thing happens in 3D mode with the video being output off-centered since I'm not sure how I would test the file in 3D.

This is a major issue. Jack, I hope you can push this through to the firmware team so we don't have to wait months for this to get fixed. I'd like to hear if other units are also doing this. Either my unit is bad or everybody's units are doing the same thing - using the test file I posted above is an easy way to tell if the Micca is outputting the video perfectly centered. Of course this means that all 2D video is output slightly off-center. Normally you would never notice but with the tv in 3D mode it must be perfectly centered as Hokeysmoke said or it will cause problems like this.

Currently due to this issue I can't use the Micca for sbs file playback. Big disappointment.
post #1005 of 1655 Old 07-17-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikepnoland View Post

I was wondering what the difference between the micca ep600 g2 and the micca ep950? Which one would people suggest to buy, and why I should buy either one over the competitors (if not what should I by)

EP950 can hold an internal drive. Other than that they are pretty much the same.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1006 of 1655 Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

EP950 can hold an internal drive. Other than that they are pretty much the same.

Also the EP950 has the front display. Otherwise they're the same - they even share the same firmware.
post #1007 of 1655 Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Also the EP950 has the front display. Otherwise they're the same - they even share the same firmware.

Yeah, the EP950 has a useless front display just like the Dune D1.biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1008 of 1655 Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Yeah, the EP950 has a useless front display just like the Dune D1.biggrin.gif

Agreed, the display is useless, which is too bad. It looks nice, and it would be great if it actually displayed useful information.
post #1009 of 1655 Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot too the EP950 has a gigabit ethernet, which doesn't do gigibit as well wink.gif.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1010 of 1655 Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 AM

I can't find the screen that shows me how much disk space is left on the internal hard drive. On my 350 you go to the system information screen. The 950 system information only shows you the software version #. I didn't see anything in the manual. Am I missing something?
post #1011 of 1655 Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope we will hear something from Jack on this issue with the screen not being centered - right now I can't use this box for sbs files.
post #1012 of 1655 Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope we will hear something from Jack on this issue with the screen not being centered - right now I can't use this box for sbs files.

Lately, he's been pretty absent from this threat.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1013 of 1655 Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1014 of 1655 Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 PM

Micca not outputting to HDMI anymore. This is getting very annoying. I run off HDMI. I can see the boot screen and when it goes to where you normally see File menu, it goes blank. Probably using a different input. I've pressed TV mode repeatedly and it does not switch to HDMI. I believe the last time this happened I had to do a factory reset or return it, I can't remember, anyone else ever see this and know if there is an easier way that reprogramming the damned thing again. Jesus.
post #1015 of 1655 Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjSVB View Post

Micca not outputting to HDMI anymore. This is getting very annoying. I run off HDMI. I can see the boot screen and when it goes to where you normally see File menu, it goes blank. Probably using a different input. I've pressed TV mode repeatedly and it does not switch to HDMI. I believe the last time this happened I had to do a factory reset or return it, I can't remember, anyone else ever see this and know if there is an easier way that reprogramming the damned thing again. Jesus.

I would of send that back already. Why mess around with something that isn't working after trying different methods / troubleshooting it. May be a different HDMI cable?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1016 of 1655 Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 PM

My Micca EP950 just arrived a couple of days ago and I immediately noticed the "soap opera effect" when playing blu-ray files on my Vizio 46' LCD TV. The soap opera effect is so obvious that even me, who's not sensitive at all, caught it right away. I'm pretty sure the TV's smooth motion effect is turned off. There are not too many settings I can try in Micca Setup.

Does anyone knows how to solve this issue?

Thanks.
post #1017 of 1655 Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM

What's worse is when you notice things like that or Progressive Judder, you will notice from now on. Ignorance is bliss for those that don't notice, it's a constant irritation for the rest. Sorry no solution within Micca I'm betting, TV can't set it down to 120hz or so?
post #1018 of 1655 Old 07-19-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachouchou View Post

My Micca EP950 just arrived a couple of days ago and I immediately noticed the "soap opera effect" when playing blu-ray files on my Vizio 46' LCD TV. The soap opera effect is so obvious that even me, who's not sensitive at all, caught it right away. I'm pretty sure the TV's smooth motion effect is turned off. There are not too many settings I can try in Micca Setup.
Does anyone knows how to solve this issue?
Thanks.

Soap opera effect is caused by the tv using frame interpolation. The Micca does not use frame interpolation, and does not cause soap opera effect. If you are experiencing that it is the tv that is responsible. I am very familiar with that effect and dislike it, and my EP950 does not create even a hint of that on my tv. You said you're pretty sure the tv's smooth motion is off. Double-check, because it is not the Micca.
post #1019 of 1655 Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:

@zanmet,
It really sounds like your tv is cropping the video. Are you sure you have your tv set to not crop? There should be a setting for either "just" or "screen fit" or "1:1 pixel mapping" or perhaps something else depending on the tv brand - they're all the same thing - it means the tv will do no cropping. If you set the tv to 16:9 then likely it will crop the image - you have to set the tv specifically to not crop by selecting a mode like the one I mentioned. If I set my Samsung to 16:9 it crops - if I set it to "screen fit" it doesn't crop. That's just how these tvs are. 16:9 always crops a bit. That's why there's always a specific setting for no cropping. It's called pixel mapping and it means in that mode the tv displays each and every pixel 1:1, with no cropping.
EDIT: I'm thinking now that since you're using a CRT then there's probably nothing you can do, and it's not the Micca's fault - all CRT televisions crop - it's called overscan, and it means it zooms and crops a bit of the image. You have no control over overscan - different CRTs have different amounts of overscan, meaning they all crop a bit differently. Newer HDTVs have settings like I mentioned to avoid this. But CRTs have always had the overscan issue, which is what you're likely having an issue with.
Something else I noticed in the manual that might help - since you are using a CRT TV, and that is likely the reason you're experiencing cropping, you should try setting the Micca's "Video Zoom" setting under Video Settings to "CRT TV Over Scan". According to the manual, "Videos are displayed slightly zoomed out. Use this setting only if the TV applies an over-scan that cannot be turned off, such as many CRT TVs). It basically zooms out a bit more than it normally should so when your CRT TV over-scans and zooms in a bit it will hopefully not crop out as much since the Micca is compensating for the zooming your TV is doing.

Thanks for the help eagle. The overscan helped a bit. Also to correct what i said in an earlier rant,
I was able to rename & delete files when its done to an internal HD, not one connected through usb.
post #1020 of 1655 Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

@zanmet,

Good, I'm glad it helped a bit. Overscan is always a problem on CRT tvs. And each CRT overscans a bit different also. Thankfully newer HDTVs don't have this issue. I can set my LCD to 16:9 and it overscans if for some reason that is desired, but these tvs always have a setting to output every pixel to avoid overscan.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page