Zappiti, Yadis, and MyMovies for Dune - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 264
My Dune player has been in storage for a little over a year, and we've finally started construction on our house. Previously, I was using MyMovies combined with my WHS to store and stream my movie collection to my Dune. With the demise of drive extender, I'm looking for new storage solutions, and I'm considering unRaid.

I thought this would be my best chance to change from MyMovies if I'm going to, but after all of my reading, I can't seem to find the pros vs. cons of what I perceive to be the three most popular solutions. Can someone give me the rundown on what separates the three programs once WHS is taken out of the equation?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been following those 3 front ends as well waiting to decide on which to try / use. From what I've seen Zap looks to be somewhat unstable / buggy recently. Yadis looks great and people seem to be happy with stability. So for me it's between yadis and mymovies now. I have heard that dune is not as well supported with mymovies as people hope, but maybe that has changed? Is everyone happy with the recent releases of mm and its dune support?
post #3 of 63 Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am using Yadis and store my movies on a Synology DS 1511. Its updated more often. I like Mymovies but Yadis was made specifically for indexing movies for the Dune. Yadis even has a road map.
post #4 of 63 Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently switched from Zapitti to My Movies. I also found Zappitti buggy. I have never tried Yadis. I love being able to launch movies on the Dune from the MM iPad app! This yields very high WAF. Just hit the movie button on the Harmony remote, launch the MM app (iPad or iPhone), scroll to the desired movie, and play. I also like how disc copy from MM automatically adds the movie with the correct info at the time you copy to the collection. Some don't like how MM handles TV shows (the app treats them like the original disc instead of individual episodes). I only have a few TV shows and hundreds of movies, so I can live with this.
post #5 of 63 Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Honestly I would recommend trying all 3 to see which one fits you best. Just run them on a small sample of your library to test out before you invest more time.

I personally use Zappiti. Each jukebox has its pros/cons.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #6 of 63 Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't know MyMovies had an iPhone app. I'll have to look into that a little more. My only complaint with MyMovies is it was a little labor intensive. I was planning to by the WHS add-in to automate the process, but once we decided to move I put it off. Once I found out WHS would no longer have drive extender, I decided it was best to change storage solutions, and there doesn't seem to be an automated solution to take its place.

post #7 of 63 Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I didn't know MyMovies had an iPhone app.

And Android as well!
post #8 of 63 Old 12-28-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, Android as well.

I hate to admit this, but we're gradually moving more and more towards apple products. Never thought I'd see the day, but I now have a Mac that I really like. It's certainly not the perfect operating system that some make it out to be. I've had it lock up a few times, and networking is not as intuitive as it is with my windows computers, and, and, and. But all in all, it's a nice OS.

The same goes with my iPhone and iPad and iPods. I like them because they work as advertised. I haven't tried Android yet, but I'm sure I will. It's nice to see that MyMovies has that functionality now. My wife loves our Dune player with the MyMovies front end, so adding the mobile device functionality will surely be a big plus for her as well!

post #9 of 63 Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Honestly I would recommend trying all 3 to see which one fits you best. Just run them on a small sample of your library to test out before you invest more time.

I personally use Zappiti. Each jukebox has its pros/cons.

Yeah, what Damian said, EXCEPT I would try all FOUR - Movienizer being the fourth. Version 5 just came out and it has significantly improved speed of downloading. For some reason, this one just doesn't have the traction that Zappiti, MM, and Yadis have, and everyone forgets about it or doesn't know about it.
post #10 of 63 Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, I've never heard of that one either. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

post #11 of 63 Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Yeah, what Damian said, EXCEPT I would try all FOUR - Movienizer being the fourth. Version 5 just came out and it has significantly improved speed of downloading. For some reason, this one just doesn't have the traction that Zappiti, MM, and Yadis have, and everyone forgets about it or doesn't know about it.

I haven't checked in a while, is Movienizer free? I know I tested before (I think the free version had a limit), and I just remember it being way too much to set up that at the time I wanted to commit. The more options the better though!!! NM, find this on the site:

Quote:

Movienizer is distributed as try-before-you-buy. You can use the trial version with its limitations as long as you wish. If you like the program, you have to purchase a license in order to unlock all features. Otherwise, it should be removed. Detailed information is available at the licensing page.

To purchase a license for Movienizer, place an online order using the links below. We accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Switch/Solo, Bank/Wire Transfer, Checks and Cash.

Please select a license type* and click for online ordering:
License Cost
1 computer $39.95
Buy now!
2 computers $79.90 $59.95
Buy now!
Family (5 computers) $199.75 $99.95
Buy now!

After a successful registration you can use all program features that otherwise are blocked. The trial version has the following limitations:

You can add up to 50 movies to your database.
You can automatically download information about maximum 3 persons a time.
You can add up to 2 editions to each movie.
A registration reminder window.

Cheers,
Damian

post #12 of 63 Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't checked in a while, is Movienizer free? I know I tested before (I think the free version had a limit), and I just remember it being way too much to set up that at the time I wanted to commit. The more options the better though!!! NM, find this on the site:

To answer your other question, it still works in much the same way, but it is so flexible that you can really do as little or as much with it as you wish. There are a couple of dozen sources (blu-ray.com, dvdempire.com, imdb.com, etc), to choose from (including support for, um, ahem, adult titles from adultdvdempire.com). You can use it like the others and let it scan your files and create your collection, or you can search by title, barcode, and I think one other method to add titles to your collection (barcode helps me when I'm trying to specify the exact version I have in my collection). It can be overwhelming to new users because it has so many features and so many data points you CAN capture (whereas Zappiti and Yadis are basic media-interface creators). There's nothing wrong with the KISS-principled versions (Zappiti and Yadis), just as there's nothing wrong with more full-featured collector programs (My Movies and Movienizer). Depends on what you need and like.

I had said I wanted to do a writeup on Movienizer a while back, but last year was, well, I'm just happy 2011 is behind me now. I may have some time over the next month to do a writeup on Movienizer 5 - we'll see.
post #13 of 63 Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To answer your other question, it still works in much the same way, but it is so flexible that you can really do as little or as much with it as you wish. There are a couple of dozen sources (blu-ray.com, dvdempire.com, imdb.com, etc), to choose from (including support for, um, ahem, adult titles from adultdvdempire.com). You can use it like the others and let it scan your files and create your collection, or you can search by title, barcode, and I think one other method to add titles to your collection (barcode helps me when I'm trying to specify the exact version I have in my collection). It can be overwhelming to new users because it has so many features and so many data points you CAN capture (whereas Zappiti and Yadis are basic media-interface creators). There's nothing wrong with the KISS-principled versions (Zappiti and Yadis), just as there's nothing wrong with more full-featured collector programs (My Movies and Movienizer). Depends on what you need and like.

I had said I wanted to do a writeup on Movienizer a while back, but last year was, well, I'm just happy 2011 is behind me now. I may have some time over the next month to do a writeup on Movienizer 5 - we'll see.

LOL, no worries. It is on my long list to do a writeup on as well. I may bug the developer to see if they have a reviewers license because I generally don't like doing reviews on limited software (if anything it would be hurtful for the software since I wouldn't be able to show the full potential)

Cheers,
Damian

post #14 of 63 Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL, no worries. It is on my long list to do a writeup on as well. I may bug the developer to see if they have a reviewers license because I generally don't like doing reviews on limited software (if anything it would be hurtful for the software since I wouldn't be able to show the full potential)

Damian, I might work on an outline of a review over the weekend and run it by to you get some feedback - just to make sure I cover what people would like to know in a review. If you have any thoughts, shoot me a pm.
post #15 of 63 Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Damian, I might work on an outline of a review over the weekend and run it by to you get some feedback - just to make sure I cover what people would like to know in a review. If you have any thoughts, shoot me a pm.

Not a problem Mike. Hit me up over PM if you have some ideas/thoughts you want to run by me, and I can give you my email address if easier (I am not sure I am ready to go the video chat route with you yet )

Cheers,
Damian

post #16 of 63 Old 08-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
So, I've got a question. I'm currently a zappiti user, and have had great success with it. I keep hearing the voice in my head saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it," however the tinkerer in me is curious. I'm contemplating doing a parallel with Yadis to see which one works better (there sure are some slick skins for yadis). I have a couple concerns. Does either program create something in the movie folder location that will negatively impact the other software? Are there any other concerns about having them both running on the same machine?
post #17 of 63 Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
No files added or conflict between yadis ans zappiti.

Yes there's something to know and that could complicate yadis dune path set up if you use an attached drive to the dune (internal or USB). If you only use network drives on a nas, you can start your test right away.
post #18 of 63 Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I am currently using Zappiti, Yadis and 10Muse. I was using Zappiti 100% of the time, but I've noticed little bugs that have been bugging the hell out of me. Like not scrapping the correct audio icon, DTS vs DTS-MA. Zappiti doesn't remember, which movies and / or TV Shows I've watched, which it used to. Furthermore, if I click on the unseen icon nothing comes up.

So, pretty much the only thing that works with Zappiti is All Movies, Alphabetically and All TV Shows. I like YADIS since it is easy to change the skins, and in my opinion looks nicer than Zappiti. However, I've recently started using 10Muse, and at first it was PIA to set up, but since I learn how to set it up and run it, I am liking it way more over Zappiti and Yadis. The 10Muse iPad app its pretty nice as well.

I am going to buy the 10Muse iPad app ($19.99, I am currently using the free one), and start using 10Muse as my current jukebox. 10Muse support is pretty awesome as well!

Note: If you want to use a simple and easy jukebox, Zappiti is hard to beat. 10Muse requires a little bit more work, but once you learn the process, it is easy.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #19 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input. Is there a how to guide for 10muse? What is the current version of yadis?
post #20 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never made the switch from MM to a new system. I have so much time invested in MM that it's tough to jump ship. I'm also a little hesitant make a change because of the hassle of reorganizing my data to suit one of these other programs.

With these other programs, do you manually input the disc title/bar code/etc., or do they automatically recognize the disc loaded in the drive? Do they scrape data based on the folder names instead? Does anyone have any advice on how to move to another program painlessly?

post #21 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I never made the switch from MM to a new system. I have so much time invested in MM that it's tough to jump ship. I'm also a little hesitant make a change because of the hassle of reorganizing my data to suit one of these other programs.

With these other programs, do you manually input the disc title/bar code/etc., or do they automatically recognize the disc loaded in the drive? Do they scrape data based on the folder names instead? Does anyone have any advice on how to move to another program painlessly?

This is not like MM where you input the disc. The movie already needs to be stored on a drive. If you are using My Movies I would assume you already have your naming correct anyhow, so any of these programs should be able to pick up your library and scan in without much issue
J_P_A likes this.

Cheers,
Damian

post #22 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

With zappiti, during the ripping process I would name the file being ripped. Post rip you scan for file changes and then scrape the info. I found it had a high success rate in correctly scraping the info. I thought it was pretty painless. To my knowledge it rips Accd to file name instead of folder name. All my files are in separate folders though.
J_P_A likes this.
post #23 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

This is not like MM where you input the disc. The movie already needs to be stored on a drive. If you are using My Movies I would assume you already have your naming correct anyhow, so any of these programs should be able to pick up your library and scan in without much issue

I think the structure is correct, but I don't know about the naming convention. I used "_" rather than spaces in my movie title names. Sounds like a few days of changing file names smile.gif I suppose I'd need to try them out to make sure they had features I feel like are worthwhile before I go through the effort.

post #24 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think the structure is correct, but I don't know about the naming convention. I used "_" rather than spaces in my movie title names. Sounds like a few days of changing file names smile.gif I suppose I'd need to try them out to make sure they had features I feel like are worthwhile before I go through the effort.

I would just test out on a small sample of your library, no need to have them run through your entire library to start. This is typically what I do when I test out a new jukebox

Cheers,
Damian

post #25 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsquared View Post

Thanks for the input. Is there a how to guide for 10muse? What is the current version of yadis?

Might be a little outdated but here is what I had put together for 10Muse

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2012/09/03/guide-setting-up-10muse-for-remote-video-playback-on-the-dunepch/

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2012/10/10/quick-update-to-10muse/

Cheers,
Damian

post #26 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i use both yadis and MM. They can perfectly coexist without any problem. For MM you should already have all your movies in separated folders using correct movie name, which is Ok for yadis. You won't need to touch your file name (the one inside your folder) and can keep the "_" as the scan will be based on the folder name only wink.gif
post #27 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

well, I'm trying to configure both yadis and 10muse. so far yadis seems to be a bit better...at least from my perspective. It just appears a little easier to manage. out of the first 29 files tried, 17 came back as subfolder not the same as file name. some of these are just because the folder is lower case and the file name is upper case. Yadis seems to have hit most everything, but there are a few "video file not found" errors, which I don't know how to correct. If seems to find the file, but can't scrape it.
post #28 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

well, I'm trying to configure both yadis and 10muse. so far yadis seems to be a bit better...at least from my perspective. It just appears a little easier to manage. out of the first 29 files tried, 17 came back as subfolder not the same as file name. some of these are just because the folder is lower case and the file name is upper case. Yadis seems to have hit most everything, but there are a few "video file not found" errors, which I don't know how to correct. If seems to find the file, but can't scrape it.

Yeah, with 10Muse the foldername and filename need to be exact matches

Cheers,
Damian

post #29 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what kind of files is it ? folder structures ? did you check if those files are not duplicates ?
post #30 of 63 Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

what kind of files is it ? folder structures ? did you check if those files are not duplicates ?
ISO files. Now back to a yadis question. If you have an SD and an HD copy of a movie, how do you get them both to show up? In zappiti it recognizes them as DVD and BD and then I just put them in a group. Yadis doesn't seem to so that... May just be sticking with Zappiti. Was just hoping for something to spruce up the look and feel of the display. Very limited skins for it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Diskstation 5 Bay Diskless Scalable Network Attached Storage Ds1511 Black
Gear in this thread - Ds1511 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page