Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/04/r...to-mhl-dongle/

Quite the little device...and gets around the potential issues of updating TV firmware or the cost of a new TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Liked: 10
Wow. I thought the "hockey puck" roku2 was small already. Great innovation. I'd like to hear experiences from users in the near future
post #3 of 13 Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That is a nice little solution for the "hang on the wall" types of applications. I question if the wifi coverage would be too badly hurt by plugging it in bhind a big, metal TV case.

Wasn't there a little, android-on-a-stick with a similar form factor to this a few months back?

-Suntan
post #4 of 13 Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Cool device. So, if MHL is required I imagine this does not come with its own remote, & means that it probably wouldn't work too well plugged into an AVR HDMI port even if the TV is compatible.

If MHL was needed for power only, it seems they could make one that could be powered from a TV's USB port as an alternative to work on existing TVs.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Cool device. So, if MHL is required I imagine this does not come with its own remote, & means that it probably wouldn't work too well plugged into an AVR HDMI port even if the TV is compatible.

If MHL was needed for power only, it seems they could make one that could be powered from a TV's USB port as an alternative to work on existing TVs.

"It can also be controlled by your existing TV remote."

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2012/01/0...reaming-stick/

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #6 of 13 Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

"It can also be controlled by your existing TV remote."

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2012/01/0...reaming-stick/

I'll believe that when I see it. See it happening on more than one specific TV and player combination that the two companies specifically show off at something like CES, that is.

We've had upteen different "standards" for inter-communication between different devices, but each manufacturer would rather provide you with a craptastic version of what they call a "universal remote" instead.

-Suntan
post #7 of 13 Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here's a little hands-on mini review.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/hands-roku-st...-50118008.html

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #8 of 13 Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 AM

Liked: 18
post #9 of 13 Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 10
roku rocks but kinda unaffordable:mad:, need to save money for my new car. i found a smaller and cheaper pc-on-a-stick on amazon, can anybody give me a light

http://www.amazon.com/MK802-Android-Google-Player-Allwinner/dp/B008BFXOZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348506349&sr=1-1&keywords=MK802

the 2nd seems the upgraded version
http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-PC-On-A-Stick-Computer-Processor-Internal/dp/B009A80ADA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1348506791&sr=8-9&keywords=roku+wireless+PC+on+a+stick

config seems very impressive, price is a little bit higher.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVStreamer View Post

roku rocks but kinda unaffordablemad.gif, need to save money for my new car. i found a smaller and cheaper pc-on-a-stick on amazon, can anybody give me a light
http://www.amazon.com/MK802-Android-Google-Player-Allwinner/dp/B008BFXOZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348506349&sr=1-1&keywords=MK802
the 2nd seems the upgraded version
http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-PC-On-A-Stick-Computer-Processor-Internal/dp/B009A80ADA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1348506791&sr=8-9&keywords=roku+wireless+PC+on+a+stick
config seems very impressive, price is a little bit higher.
What am I missing here?

Looking at Roku 2 prices on Amazon I'm seeing units in the same price range. Both units linked above appear to contain the guts of what is essentially an Android phone minus the cell baseband and screen (not unlike the AppleTV). However, even the "upgraded" version looks to be within a few dollars of a Roku 2 XS that is 100% designed and supported as a streaming device.

That said, they look like something that might be fun to tinker with....
post #11 of 13 Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVStreamer View Post

roku rocks but kinda unaffordable mad.gif need to save money for my new car. i found a smaller and cheaper pc-on-a-stick on amazon, can anybody give me a light.

My unsolicited advise would be to stay away from those devices.You don't know what if any "channels" they can get(Netflix?,Amazon Instant?,Vudu/UltraViolet?Playon?,Crackle?).You could easily end up with ****-on-a-stick which would be a total waste of money.And as another poster pointed out,the price on the "upgraded" version is just about the same price as a Roku 2XS,and we all know that the Roku supports just about all of the favorite services("channels"),so where's the sense in buying an unknown devise?? I too don't have much money,so i bought a refurbished Roku 2 XS for $75.00,saving $25.00,and my refurbed Roku box works just fine w/o issue. So my advise is to stick with a PROVEN device,stick with the Roku,buy a refurb for $75.00. Then at a later date, if you wish too,you can buy a 2 yr.extended warranty for your Roku for $20.00.That's just $10.00 per yr.

One more point: After reading about this "pc-on-a-stick",i noticed that besides there being no costumer reviews,there is also no claim that this device supports any of the popular services("channels") at all!! BUYER BEWARE!!!!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Question about these. To access the content streamed through it, I assume you have to switch your MHL-compatible TV or receiver to the mhl-hdmi jack? So in that regard it works pretty much like any other source? If so, why can't it just plug into any old hdmi port? Is it because it needs power?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #13 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Question about these. To access the content streamed through it, I assume you have to switch your MHL-compatible TV or receiver to the mhl-hdmi jack? So in that regard it works pretty much like any other source? If so, why can't it just plug into any old hdmi port? Is it because it needs power?

It receives power from the HDMI, as well as feedback for control. The MHL device controls the Stick with it's own remote.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page