Xtreamer Ultra 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 01-08-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This player looks pretty nice. I wonder if it will really come to life?

http://www.xtreamer.net/2012/xtreamer-ultra2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ha! Their credibility is null.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefi View Post

ha! Their credibility is null.

+1!
post #4 of 33 Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
They are the best, flashiest advertisers; I'll give 'em that. Delivery on promises however, they've come up short on just about everything.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #5 of 33 Old 01-23-2012, 06:38 AM

Liked: 10
I was thinking about getting one of these, but if they have a bad reputation I'd probably stay away...

Can you go into a bit more detail on what sort of problems people have had with Xtreamer in the past?
post #6 of 33 Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

they've come up short on just about everything.

I've had my own problems with them, but I'm afraid your sort of comment are rather unfounded given they've basically released some of the best media players around, and also have probably supported/updated them the most too (both officially and via public).
post #7 of 33 Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

This player looks pretty nice. I wonder if it will really come to life?

http://www.xtreamer.net/2012/xtreamer-ultra2.html

I'm intrigued too.

From my understanding XMBC is a very good video jukebox system, so that's one of my boxes ticked.

I need good photo viewing facilities, so I'm sure the Ultra 2 has got enough horse power (processor wise) for this, so I just need to find out if XMBC offers a good photoviewing facility. eg: Just being able to quickly browse around folders/pictures etc.

I'm happy to pay a premium price if this unit behaves just like a media player, and is nice and quick/friendly at browsing films, tv episodes and photos!
post #8 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Although some of their products have been released later than planned. As far as I'm aware, every product Xtreamer has announced has been released.

The higher specification Ultra 2 is a natural progression from the very popular Ultra 1

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #9 of 33 Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post

I've had my own problems with them, but I'm afraid your sort of comment are rather unfounded given they've basically released some of the best media players around, and also have probably supported/updated them the most too (both officially and via public).

im waiting for this to come out as, spec wise it seems really good for the price (£340). however...i always worry about cheap things that are too good to be true.

you say you've had your own problems with them - care to elaborate?
in terms of build quality and quality of components...surely its just like any other pre-build htpc?
post #10 of 33 Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Which support is that the HD audio that was supposed to come out then realtek came out and said its not possible while xtreamer was still pushing there soon to be released firmware to give everyone HD audio for months after? Or how the deleted and blocked people from facebook for speaking there mind, banned and edited peoples posts on the forums. Or how they stole yamj and tried to pass it off as their own work. When you ran the jukebox it even still said YAMJ in the code.

Also came out they did not pay royalties for things they have used in past products.

There is a reason they are number 1 avoid brand listed at mpcclub but if you get an htpc from them not much from there side needed as its just a hardware push and you supply the software so not much to lose.
post #11 of 33 Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Actually his comment is just about right. This comes from the owner of an eTrayz that had barely half the advertised features and whose only (real) support came from community members. After a few failed attempts at a solid FW they just gave up and buried it. Same goes for the original Xtreamer where they promised (among other things) a jukebox for over a year and a half and never delivered. Sure, they released plenty of FW in between but who cares how many FW releases you do when what you advertised never materializes?

The frustration of dealing with products shipped with half developed software, coupled with deceiving timelines and a terrible forum experience should make anyone think twice. Why pay more? Ha, now there's an oxymoron
post #12 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Which support is that the HD audio that was supposed to come out then realtek came out and said its not possible while xtreamer was still pushing there soon to be released firmware to give everyone HD audio for months after? Or how the deleted and blocked people from facebook for speaking there mind, banned and edited peoples posts on the forums. Or how they stole yamj and tried to pass it off as their own work. When you ran the jukebox it even still said YAMJ in the code.

The HD issue has been done to death... I think we all know they mis-advertised it, and were caught in the cross-fire.

But the question is their general support for their products, and I'll still stand by the fact if you look at the updates they've done, and the updates they've facilitated through the community, it's probably the most of any media player(s) in this area of the market.

Of course people will find fault with things, but that doesn't mean the above isn't true. And to come out with a statement along the lines of "they've come up short on just about everything," just means people think you're ranting.
post #13 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisha View Post

Actually his comment is just about right. This comes from the owner of an eTrayz that had barely half the advertised features and whose only (real) support came from community members. After a few failed attempts at a solid FW they just gave up and buried it. Same goes for the original Xtreamer where they promised (among other things) a jukebox for over a year and a half and never delivered. Sure, they released plenty of FW in between but who cares how many FW releases you do when what you advertised never materializes?

The frustration of dealing with products shipped with half developed software, coupled with deceiving timelines and a terrible forum experience should make anyone think twice. Why pay more? Ha, now there's an oxymoron

"they've come up short on just about everything." - Hmmm... Really? That doesn't just sound like it belongs in rant territory? And maybe this sort of behaviour is why some people have found themselves having trouble on forums?

eTRAYz - Yep, I own one too. It does what I need of it, and has never failed to do so, so I'm happy with it personally. But I am aware it was/is short of some features.

As for the Jukebox on the original unit(s), it was an amazing piece of work, which unfortunately was just beyond the capabilities of the hardware. It was just too slow and had one or two other quirks which unfortunately meant it was dead in the water. I feel for the developers!

It will be interesting to see what the new Jukebox is like with their FW3.5, coming out this/next month? If it's fast enough it could well be an amazing coup for them!
post #14 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
You are obviously happy with your purchase and that is good for you, find something that works and stick to it. For my they always gave off bad vibes and seemed to just screw people.

As you mention the jukebox being painfully slow. makes you wonder if their youtube videos of it running smooth were sped up as the youtube videos shows a fast UI that you could fly around. But i cant blame it all on them some of the bad blood still spills from past mvix dealings and being joined at the hip they are grouped together.
post #15 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

You are obviously happy with your purchase and that is good for you, find something that works and stick to it. For my they always gave off bad vibes and seemed to just screw people.

As you mention the jukebox being painfully slow. makes you wonder if their youtube videos of it running smooth were sped up as the youtube videos shows a fast UI that you could fly around. But i cant blame it all on them some of the bad blood still spills from past mvix dealings and being joined at the hip they are grouped together.

If it's the video I think it is, it was sped up, and the producer said it was. It was suppose to get faster in the final version, but alas never did.

It will be interesting to see what the new encarnation is like in FW3.5.

As for me being happy, I am, but it's a shame a couple of simple problems have never been fixed. eg: When I turn my XTreamer on, I can ONLY access the eTRAYz by the dedicated option. Shortcuts will not work. Furthermore, when I select the eTRAYz option, there's a hang, and then a reboot, as the eTRAYz is asleep and the XTreamer doesn't wait long enough.

Those are stupid issues that could be easily fixed, but never have been. This would make be worried about buy another XTreamer media player.

HOWEVER, the Ultra 2 is not a media player, it's basically a PC with XMBC on
post #16 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:

"they've come up short on just about everything." - Hmmm... Really? That doesn't just sound like it belongs in rant territory? And maybe this sort of behaviour is why some people have found themselves having trouble on forums?

Maybe for some but the censoring and rude mods/admins were more Xtreamer being defensive than the majority of owners acting the way you generalize.

Quote:

eTRAYz - Yep, I own one too. It does what I need of it, and has never failed to do so, so I'm happy with it personally. But I am aware it was/is short of some features.

Again, you're generalizing and saying that since it's OK with you, that Xtreamer delivered what they advertised. They did not. Instead of continuing to promise fixes they dropped support altogether. Pick which is worse if you're a user.

Quote:

As for the Jukebox on the original unit(s), it was an amazing piece of work, which unfortunately was just beyond the capabilities of the hardware. It was just too slow and had one or two other quirks which unfortunately meant it was dead in the water. I feel for the developers!

Great excuse for Xtreamer, not my problem. They advertised something and didn't deliver even after years of promises. You feel for the developers? I feel for the users

All this to say that Xtreamer has its fans and everyone is entitled to their opinions but the fact is that Xtreamer has overwhelmingly over-promised and under-delivered. So regardless of what Xtreamer is offering, media player or HTPC, buyer beware
post #17 of 33 Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisha View Post

Xtreamer has overwhelmingly over-promised and under-delivered

"overwhelmingly?" - Why is it people feel the need to hype their point or argument up on the internet? Do they feel it come across stronger? Because unfortunately it does not. It simply appears emotive and irrational.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-15-2012, 02:29 PM

I just got one of these Xtreamer Ultra2 boxes 2 weeks ago, and let me tell you it is absolutely amazing. It is literally plug and play, and the OpenElec software updates itself when you choose that setting. Granted the OpenElec software is still in Beta currently, so there are some minor bugs in XBMC, but from a useability standpoint and the "promised" features, it is everything they said it would be. No other manufacturer even has something close that is running the Intel Atom D2700. This is the best HTPC purchase i have ever made (i have tried the WD TV Live Plus, the New WD TV Live, the Sony, and many others). All others fall short.

I even paid for it to be shipped to the US and the higher price to buy is with US currency and it is still a better deal than anything else i have found.

I can't wait for it to be sold on Amazon so i can buy at least 2 more for my other TVs in the house.

I know i just joined the forum, but I have been an audiophile for over 15 years and my friends call me anal when i buy any home theater equipment or computer equipment and I joined mainly to set the record straight on this forum regarding this Xtreamer Ultra 2. I even read this forum before i purchased it, but it did not deter me from buying it and I am extremely glad I did.

I highly recommend this box.
post #19 of 33 Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
how much?
post #20 of 33 Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
post #21 of 33 Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23

ًSo people are actually paying money for someone to buy them a net-top and preload "free software" on it for them ?!?
post #22 of 33 Old 06-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

ًSo people are actually paying money for someone to buy them a net-top and preload "free software" on it for them ?!?
So some people actually have nothing better to do that post smart alec comments?

The beauty/appeal of the Ultra 2 is of course, you buy it, and it basically works. No hunting around for drivers. No editing config files with strange editors... Some of us value our free time and I'd quite happily pay a premium for a hassle free life and a device that actually does what it says on the tin and undoubtly will have a large, active and helpful community like XTreamer's other units.

Undoubtably you could set up a similar device but I suspect you need good knowledge and/or numerous hours to tinker. For those of us that don't happen to fall into these two categories the Ultra 2 looks appealling.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post

The beauty/appeal of the Ultra 2 is of course, you buy it, and it basically works.

Hehehe, have you read up on Xtreamer products.tongue.gif
Quote:

So some people actually have nothing better to do that post smart alec comments?

Yup, had nothing better to do myself tonight so why not...it didn't cost me anything. biggrin.gif
post #24 of 33 Old 06-17-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

Hehehe, have you read up on Xtreamer products.tongue.gif
Yes. And I've owned a couple of their products and been an active member of the mod community off and on. Not had any real problems, and TBH if we take their media players they're probably the best ones around given their price, functionality and support.

Sure some people have had problems and thrown bucket loads of their irrational toys out of their cots. But unfortunately this is the side effect of the internet where people are ultimately anonymous and feel compelled to make the most of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

Yup, had nothing better to do myself tonight so why not...it didn't cost me anything. biggrin.gif
Says it all doesn't it. Nothing to add, so subtract instead.
post #25 of 33 Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

The beauty/appeal of the Ultra 2 is of course, you buy it, and it basically works. No hunting around for drivers. No editing config files with strange editors... Some of us value our free time and I'd quite happily pay a premium for a hassle free life and a device that actually does what it says on the tin and undoubtly will have a large, active and helpful community like XTreamer's other units.
Undoubtably you could set up a similar device but I suspect you need good knowledge and/or numerous hours to tinker. For those of us that don't happen to fall into these two categories the Ultra 2 looks appealling.

lol, apparently you haven't setup a HTPC since 1995 ... perhaps the Xtreamer 2 ultra is indeed targeted to a handful of people out there. lol.
So are you going to wait for Xtreamer to update the FREE OPEN images they released at launch because you can't do it yourself too ?!
** and the facepalm smiley goes here **
post #26 of 33 Old 06-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:

lol, apparently you haven't setup a HTPC since 1995 ... perhaps the Xtreamer 2 ultra is indeed targeted to a handful of people out there. lol.
Have you considered, (a) most people have never set up a PC, yet alone an HTPC? (b) Have you considered most people don't want to.

Quote:

So are you going to wait for Xtreamer to update the FREE OPEN images they released at launch because you can't do it yourself too ?!

I've never set up an HTPC (like most people) and ideally I never want to (like most people). I'd rather buy something off the shelf - and as I said I'm happy to pay a premium for this - to ensure it works and is a turn-key solution. It comes down to budget and how much effort/time you have available. Now if you unfortunately find yourself on a tight budget, or just find yourself not going out much so you have plenty of free time, then that's fine of course.

Quote:

facepalm smiley goes here **
What's interesting is you actually haven't made a real point, yet you're arguing with people and seemingly criticizing them. All very odd!

How about simply dropping the needless cynicism and just making a sensible and polite point?
post #27 of 33 Old 06-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post

I just got one of these Xtreamer Ultra2 boxes 2 weeks ago, and let me tell you it is absolutely amazing. It is literally plug and play, and the OpenElec software updates itself when you choose that setting. Granted the OpenElec software is still in Beta currently, so there are some minor bugs in XBMC, but from a useability standpoint and the "promised" features, it is everything they said it would be. No other manufacturer even has something close that is running the Intel Atom D2700. This is the best HTPC purchase i have ever made (i have tried the WD TV Live Plus, the New WD TV Live, the Sony, and many others). All others fall short.
I even paid for it to be shipped to the US and the higher price to buy is with US currency and it is still a better deal than anything else i have found.
I can't wait for it to be sold on Amazon so i can buy at least 2 more for my other TVs in the house.
I know i just joined the forum, but I have been an audiophile for over 15 years and my friends call me anal when i buy any home theater equipment or computer equipment and I joined mainly to set the record straight on this forum regarding this Xtreamer Ultra 2. I even read this forum before i purchased it, but it did not deter me from buying it and I am extremely glad I did.
I highly recommend this box.

Any further comments on the unit?

On a side note, have you tried browing photos using it? How fast is it? Any media player I got would have to match/beat XTPhotos on my XTreamer in navigation speed etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0dB9jNkEu8

So if you have photos say in the 300-400K file size range, does the unit browse them in a user friendly and fast way?
post #28 of 33 Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 PM

@sean_w_smith: Actually the new one (the Ultra2) is only available on their store at this time, which after shipping to the US cost $450. I think it is well worth the price if you want an Intel D2700 with an Nvidia GPU system now instead of waiting for it to be available on Amazon like the previous version is.

@all the haters: I have been tearing down my parents computers and building my own since '92. I also have a job right now working with computers, so the last thing i really want to do when i get home to my wife and new born son is to spend all my time tinkering and playing with the hardware on my computers. I am not afraid to work with any OS presented to me either, i have been the lead Mac technician at one job, while also installing, updating, configuring Linux servers, and programming web applications. I am also more than happy to tinker when needed in order to get things to work correctly, however, it is difficult to find the correct hardware.

I have been looking for the last 2 years for a replacement to my original modded Xbox's with XBMC (yes, soldering and all) since they were so universal and good at what they did, but they didn't play HD content well. So, i have tried many solutions and kept my eyes open for the correct combination of hardware. I did buy a D525 system with an ION2 graphics in it, but it wasn't perfect (system heated up a lot, and caused the fan to spin to full every 2-3 minutes, which in a quiet room is annoying, and the remote didn't work OOB with XBMC, which is the most annoying thing to get working if it doesn't work right away). So, i have been anxiously waiting since the announcement of the D2700 procs for a system capable of HTPC to come out. Xtreamer Ultra2 is the first, and the remote turns the system on from full shutdown, and turns it off just as fast.

The Deluxe edition which i got comes with the MCE remote, 4GB memory, and a 32GB SSD with mini sata so the full 2.5" hdd slot is still open. The machine cold boots in less than 10 seconds which is perfect and the remote works OOB with OpenElec XBMC.

@NeilF: Photo browsing is extremely fast. Probably faster than the XTPhotos which is probably why Xtreamer decided to go fully OpenElec XBMC. To get a feel for the speed of browsing photos, i would install XBMC onto your computer then try browsing photos, it will be just as fast or faster because of the SSD. Also, remember to try the different views when browsing photos to get the one you want. I just can't say enough about the system, it is everything i hoped one would be and i am one that has high expectations for anything i buy.

Hope this information helps.
post #29 of 33 Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Although some of their products have been released later than planned. As far as I'm aware, every product Xtreamer has announced has been released.

The higher specification Ultra 2 is a natural progression from the very popular Ultra 1

Does it have a fan? Also, will XBMC AddOns be compatible with OpenElec?

philip
post #30 of 33 Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:

@all the haters: the remote turns the system on from full shutdown, and turns it off just as fast.
I believe this is unique to this device isn't it?

Do you find the remote fairly usable/effective?
Quote:

@NeilF: Photo browsing is extremely fast. Probably faster than the XTPhotos which is probably why Xtreamer decided to go fully OpenElec XBMC. To get a feel for the speed of browsing photos, i would install XBMC onto your computer then try browsing photos, it will be just as fast or faster because of the SSD. Also, remember to try the different views when browsing photos to get the one you want. I just can't say enough about the system, it is everything i hoped one would be and i am one that has high expectations for anything i buy.
Hope this information helps.
Thanks! I'd be viewing photos/films over a network from a NAS. So a couple more questions (which may be more XMBC related).
1) So if I buy the deluxe version, is it a turn-key solution. ie: Turn it on when it arrives and basically it's running XMBC?
2) I'm right in saying it does NOT support 3D out of the box? (Not a biggy for me). Need Windows7?
3) I assume you just point it to the locations where your films are, and where your photos are, then done? Cover art? Is that a manual process via an application on another PC maybe?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page