help with network audio streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
long time reader first time poster here. after hitting many a dead-end on my own i thought coming here to ask for help would be best. especially since nobody is trying to sell me something.

rather than switching CDs for each song i (or my company) wanted to hear i decided to go with a NAS solution to stream music to all PCs and DLNA compatible devices by purchasing a Synology DS110J with a 2TB hard drive. i quickly made the decision to go lossless and, in the end, decided to go with apple lossless over flac for itunes integration.

in the living room i have a Samsung BD-C6900 bluray player which is plugged into a Denon AVR-2311CI. the bluray player is connected to my network by means of a powerline networking adapter (which works flawlessly).

the bluray interface for the NAS drive (which is DLNA compliant) is pretty cumbersome and tedious to navigate and it does not show the imbedded album art i have in my apple lossless files, though the audio comes through just fine.

my question now is, what solutions are available for me to able to play my music from my NAS so that I may be able to view the album art on my 65" led/lcd Samsung TV instead of seeing default icons for the music files?

im open to itunes (apple) solutions as any for a flac library (since i am considering re-ripping my collection).

my denon receiver's zone2 is for the backyard patio which has two klipsch outdoor speakers for multi-zone audio (whether it is the same output or different output of the main zone) which is what i utilized for this past holiday season. which meant i had to keep going inside to navigate the bluray player's menu in order to play a new song from ripped library of over 500 albums (which is about half of my collection).

one last thing to add is that i would love to utilize my iPad2 as a remote to play the tracks on whatever network device, especially for times the times i might be in the backyard and not in front of the television.

i realize this is a wall of text but i figured putting as much information forward in the beginning would be best.

thanks for your help (even if you are only just reading this to pass the time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I'm not up on Apple Lossless. I'm also not a fan of DLNA and prefer to use network shares but that's personal taste. The reason that I decided to respond was you said you may re-rip to FLAC. That's my format of choice so I have a suggestion for you that may save you a ton of time. Instead of re-ripping your CDs just buy a copy of dbPowerAmp Reference and run the included batch converter. You'll have to add a few of the free plug-ins (FLAC and Apple Lossless) but you can point it at your directory tree of your Apple files and tell it to convert them to FLAC and how you want them saved (directory structure and naming convention) and it will convert and file them for you with no loss in quality. One big batch job. You can even run multiple batch jobs and have FLAC and M4a and AAC versions of everything complete with tags.

Now with that out of the way the player that I use for audio and video playback is a Netgear NeoTV 550. I chose it because it can use DLNA or network shares and is one of the few that will do gapless playback of 24bit/192khz multichannel FLACs and DTS-HD MA from Blu-Ray rips. Looking at the specs it looks like it might do .M4a as well. It also works perfectly with my Harmony One remote but can be controlled from a web browser. What it does not do is Netflix.

I don't know enough about your system to know if your Denon will send digital sources to zone 2, many receivers' zone 2s are limited to analog sources.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-08-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

I don't know enough about your system to know if your Denon will send digital sources to zone 2, many receivers' zone 2s are limited to analog sources.

upon further inspection it seems that my receiver's zone2 is limited to analog sources. i had previously assumed that it would output any signal, but i was wrong.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page