No Surround Streaming with Samsung Blu Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set up my Samsung Blu Ray player to stream Blockuster movies. I had originally set up my TV but that did not work too well.
The Blu Ray streams the movie fine but I only get sound from the L,R and Center speakers. No surround. When I play a movie on disc the surround works fine. I have a Denon AVR 2112 receiver and a new Samsung Blu Ray. I've tried all the different settings in the Samsung Blu Ray menu to no avail. The current settings are PCM, and also set to surround mode.
I've never streamed before, so am wondering do streamed movies not play in 5.1 surround? I did get a movie from Comcast's pay per view and it played in Surround so I'm a little confused.
Movies aren't as much fun with just 3 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to the place I bought my TV and Blu Ray from and they said Blockbuster does not stream in 5.1.
Could this be the answer?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Lyianni,

I was hoping someone who subscribed to Blockbuster streaming would respond, but in lieu of a definitive answer, here is what I think. I can't seem to verify it with Blockbuster.

I believe that Blockbuster only streams in stereo. Their web site never mentions surround. It might be worth a call to their tech-support.

Are you sure you heard all three front speakers, and not just the left and right? Three-channel is not a standard format, but there is no reason that your AVR could not create the center channel from the left and right streams.

And Comcast does offer surround. It is easier for them, as they have end-to-end control of their network.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Lyianni,

I was hoping someone who subscribed to Blockbuster streaming would respond, but in lieu of a definitive answer, here is what I think. I can't seem to verify it with Blockbuster.

I believe that Blockbuster only streams in stereo. Their web site never mentions surround. It might be worth a call to their tech-support.

Are you sure you heard all three front speakers, and not just the left and right? Three-channel is not a standard format, but there is no reason that your AVR could not create the center channel from the left and right streams.

And Comcast does offer surround. It is easier for them, as they have end-to-end control of their network.

Mark,
You may be right about the center speaker. I just did a quick listen and probably assumed it was on. I'll double check it today.
The person I talked to at Magnolia Hi Fi (My retailer) told mr to use VUDU. I remembered there was an app already loaded for it on my Samsung. They have boldly displayed 5.1 and digital quality movies. Just watching the trailers I could see a big difference in picture quality compared to Blockbuster and Comcast. I still did not get surround watching a few trailers at VUDU but I have to assume the trailers are not broadcast in 5.1.
I noticed the VUDU movies were $2.00 more to rent as opposed to the others but I'd pay it to watch a movie with a good quality picture and 5.1. That's why I spent all this money on my setup.
I will call Blockbuster and report back.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page