Sony NSZ-GS7 Network Media Player - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 118 Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I unplugged the HDMI from GS7 and just had my DIrectv going to my television. No issues! When it's in pass through/GS7 there are issues...popping noises when changing channels and stutters of sound/video when fast forwarding/re-winding. Big deal-breaker for me. I'll give it one more week for Sony to resolve my issue or I'm boxing it back up for return. I've tried every possible combination of settings on both Directv and GS7 and no luck. Does Anynet+ on my Samsung TV being on or off make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I unplugged the HDMI from GS7 and just had my DIrectv going to my television. No issues! When it's in pass through/GS7 there are issues...popping noises when changing channels and stutters of sound/video when fast forwarding/re-winding. Big deal-breaker for me. I'll give it one more week for Sony to resolve my issue or I'm boxing it back up for return. I've tried every possible combination of settings on both Directv and GS7 and no luck. Does Anynet+ on my Samsung TV being on or off make a difference?

One thing I did notice using the gs7 HDMI input with my tivo was, when the gs7 was busy with lots of apps running, or their services running, live tv sound would cut in and out. If I switched the box off (quick start enabled, so HDMI pass through active) then the sound would be ok.

This troubled me that under load the gs7 could introduce sound issues for live tv.
post #93 of 118 Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

One thing I did notice using the gs7 HDMI input with my tivo was, when the gs7 was busy with lots of apps running, or their services running, live tv sound would cut in and out. If I switched the box off (quick start enabled, so HDMI pass through active) then the sound would be ok.
This troubled me that under load the gs7 could introduce sound issues for live tv.

i have quick start enabled as well as watching live tv with gs7 off. i've never noticed any sound issues with apps running\downloading, just during changing channels\ rr\ff. i've found a few people on google forums that have similar issues but no fix. do you know what the difference between mode 1 and 2 are?
post #94 of 118 Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i have quick start enabled as well as watching live tv with gs7 off. i've never noticed any sound issues with apps running\downloading, just during changing channels\ rr\ff. i've found a few people on google forums that have similar issues but no fix. do you know what the difference between mode 1 and 2 are?

For some reason I'm not noticing the sound\video stutter anymore. I haven't changed anything. Maybe I got used to it. lol. I was experiencing an issue of ghosting\DSE (directv) but I'm not sure as it's hard to describe. Turned the noise reduction off from GS7 and it seemed to help, if not almost fixed it all together. My tv already has noise reduction set to high so I think that was the issue.
post #95 of 118 Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For some reason I'm not noticing the sound\video stutter anymore. I haven't changed anything. Maybe I got used to it. lol. I was experiencing an issue of ghosting\DSE (directv) but I'm not sure as it's hard to describe. Turned the noise reduction off from GS7 and it seemed to help, if not almost fixed it all together. My tv already has noise reduction set to high so I think that was the issue.

To clarify. My audio issues were only when gtv was on and other apps running when live tv was also active. E.g prime time app.

When gtv was off and pass through enabled (quick start active) then no issues.

Also bummed this box won't play any DTS audio. Argh.
post #96 of 118 Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can this do bd ISO from USB hard drive and high def audio
post #97 of 118 Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got my tivo premier connected to the gs7 through HDMI. It all works good but I've got a issue with dolby digital plus. I like watching amazon vod and netflix using the tivo clients as its the only player I have that does 1080p/24 and DD+. The problem is when it goes through the GS7, I only get Dolby Digital. Not dolby digital plus. The 1080p/24 passes through fine.

I've switched the pass through feature on with the gs7 but it just won't pass the DD+ through the HDMI input that I can see.

Has anyone else ran into this?

Since google added "prime time" my overal opinion of the gtv platform is going up.
post #98 of 118 Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

I've never had this issue before but the other day my son was watching Disney Jr. and I pressed the PIP Button and worked normally but no picture, just sound. The little side video window was there but it was all black. I've always been able to get it to work until last week. Anyone know what's going on there?
post #99 of 118 Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM

Liked: 10
can anyone tell me if this will do 5.1 aac to 5.1 pcm over hdmi..
post #100 of 118 Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Isn't sony announced a replacement onces?
post #101 of 118 Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jntaylor63 View Post

can anyone tell me if this will do 5.1 aac to 5.1 pcm over hdmi..
Yes. (over hdmi & optical)
post #102 of 118 Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 11
I picked up my SONY NSZ-GS7 from my local La Source store a couple of weeks ago.

I am very pleased with the SONY Google TV. It certainly does Netflix and PLEX very well.

SONY updated the firmware the other day (Google TV 3.2, REL07), and among other things it corrected the USB HD crash problem I was having.

I am in the Montréal area, subscribed to Vidéotron cable TV. The SONY allows me to switch from Internet to TV with a single button, and the Vidéotron program guide is just another button click. I can click another button to place the cable TV in a small window while the rest of the screen is Internet functionality. I haven't touched the Vidéotron remote control since I got the SONY set up.

Another advantage to the SONY is the Canadian support. They have phone and online chat support techs in Toronto who are available during normal business hours.

The only downside I see to Google TV in Canada is there is no real integration of internet resources with cable service. If I use the search button on the SONY remote to search for "Rick Mercer Report", for example, it takes me to cbc.ca where I see that it's on Tuesdays at 8pm, but it doesn't take me to the Vidéotron cable guide.

Other IPTV apps that work well on Google TV are:

REDUX TV (http://redux.com/tv) - curated "channels" of great stuff to watch

Mitty Torrents (mitty.co) - a complete solution for finding, downloading and watching movies

The SONY is available at BestBuy these days for $170.

What has been your recent experience with Google TV in general, and this SONY in particular?
post #103 of 118 Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just picked one up last night to replace my aging Logitech Revue. Overall I like the Google TV platform and I like some of the stuff they've done with it. The primary reason for replacing the Revue was honestly that I just didn't use it. I think that was mostly due to the massive keyboard remote. I also didn't like how the Revue processed everything. Stereo sources output to my AVR didn't sound right as they were all converted to 5.1 DD. The lag was nearly unbearable too. The Sony seems to address almost all the issues I had with the Revue. Sound output my my AVR is definitely improved. And it might just be placebo effect, but video seems to be better overall as well. The remote is great and integrates nearly as well as my Harmony remote for general TV/DVR watching. I can now pass audio directly from my cable box/dvr directly to the receiver in its native format.

The only thing I really wish this thing could do, and none of the google tv boxes of this type can do, is pass through video in its native resolution. I'd rather have my tv do the scaling than the google TV box.

Haven't really played with streaming from local sources so I can't comment on that. Playon is the big thing. As long as that works I'll be happy. Wish the cords for the IR blaster and power were about a foot longer too. I need to relocate the box from where the Revue was. This may mean putting it inside the cabinet with my DVR. The Revue box seemed to get pretty hot, any comments on the Sony?
post #104 of 118 Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 11
@jmystikcfl:
There is no native PlayOn app for Google TV. Maybe it can be sideloaded, I don't know.

I tried both Avia and Vimu, they could "see" the PlayOn channels and thumbnails, but couldn't play anything.

It does get a bit hot, especially the front right corner. Mine is sitting in the open, on the shelf in front of the TV.

I don't need the IR blaster, all the IR sensors are in full view from the chairs. Good luck with that.
post #105 of 118 Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm, that is a little troubling. The Revue did the same thing, it would see the PlayOn server and I could browse but not watch. You can always use the web interface, but that's not ideal.

I guess I need to ventilate that cabinet before moving the Sony in there. That's a bummer. Getting to the back of it isn't easy. Have to take down the bridge and the shelf with my center channel to do so as well as the back piece behind the TV. Thanks for the info! I'll fiddle with it and let you know if I have any luck.
post #106 of 118 Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

After more research I found a solution to the PlayOn dilemma. The ViMu app handles PlayOn content perfectly. Running the lite version now, but the paid version has several updates so I'll be getting it soon.

On another note, I was having difficulty with my old PlayOn basic license not allowing me to watch hulu. I wound up upgrading to premium plus PlayLater. They're currently on sale and I like the mobile access. It was $60 for a lifetime license for both.
post #107 of 118 Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

GS7 gets a new (REL08) update - here

• Adds the Vudu app
• Adds DLNA (to the Media player app)
• Adds 3D video playback function

smile.gif
post #108 of 118 Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

GS7 gets a new (REL08) update - here

• Adds the Vudu app
• Adds DLNA (to the Media player app)
• Adds 3D video playback function

smile.gif

There is now Rel10 update
I think just system improvements.
post #109 of 118 Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 PM

Actually I initially said this Sony NSZ-GS7 was a POS but it has grown on me and the last few updates have improved it some what.

I am finding that some of the apps work ok now and it does not crash nearly as much.

In fact, since the REL10 update I have not had it crash, touch wood, and the TV & Movies app seems to work pretty good now as does Netflix and Amazon Video.

Quite a few other things like local streaming ability still suck though. It will stream up to 720p MKV using ES File Explorer but stutters on 1080p.

Other things like the WDTV Live have no problem with 1080p on my network.
post #110 of 118 Old 06-29-2013, 06:26 PM

The PlayPoint app skilfully extracted from a Vizio Co-Star will transform your NSZ-GS7 from a so so device into a nice content media streamer. Side load the apk and install. It works a treat. Now have the NSZ-GS7 streaming hd 1080p mkv from my NAS without any problems.

Check the GoogleTV thread here for more info and a dl link.

Suddenly, this unit is a whole lot better. smile.gif

Edit: Spoke too soon as it often stops playing after a bit for me with "Sorry there was a problem playing this media". Hopefully this can be sorted.

Edit2: I haven't played with this for a while, the free aVia Media Player in the market is better and turns it into a pretty good streamer. aVia Media Player streams 1080p MKV fine. ViMu Player looks good as well.
post #111 of 118 Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post

The PlayPoint app skilfully extracted from a Vizio Co-Star will transform your NSZ-GS7 from a so so device into a nice content media streamer. Side load the apk and install. It works a treat. Now have the NSZ-GS7 streaming hd 1080p mkv from my NAS without any problems.
Is there any way to mount a nas disk permantly? Additionally, i have a dreambox streaming all day in my network. Is there any way to see the streaming through the devise without extra software/application?
post #112 of 118 Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
So, I went ahead and bought one NSZ-GS7 opened box from Best Buy for $84.99 - $20 certificate = $64.99 + tax. I've only tested a few things, but so far I am pretty surprised how well it works, with the exception that if I go to Google Pay Store, and I try to search for some apps, when I try to type in the name it doesn't work. However, the Plex app is a lot better than the awful Roku UI. For paying approximately $72 dollars for a bedroom media player it isn't bad at all.

I've heard that there is a possibility of getting XBMC and Hulu in the future. This would be nice. Or at least getting Hulu.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #113 of 118 Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I see that you can use PlayOn to use Hulu. How's the picture quality? If anyone is using this?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #114 of 118 Old 10-16-2013, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

LG GTV is duo for JB update any day now ... then we’ll know more… not sure when or will the GS7 gets it, but I suspect so… PlayOn PQ here. XBMC here.
The JB update includes Native Development Kit (NDK) + Chromecast features (as a Google cast device) + updatable android Chrome. (Hulu+ is now available on Google cast devices), btw.
post #115 of 118 Old 10-16-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post

Check the GoogleTV thread here for more info and a dl link.

Suddenly, this unit is a whole lot better. smile.gif

Edit: Spoke too soon as it often stops playing after a bit for me with "Sorry there was a problem playing this media". Hopefully this can be sorted.

Edit2: I haven't played with this for a while, the free aVia Media Player in the market is better and turns it into a pretty good streamer. aVia Media Player streams 1080p MKV fine. ViMu Player looks good as well.

Yes but the problem with using this platform to play local content is that it doesn't support DTS or DTS-MA so it's next to useless
post #116 of 118 Old 10-17-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got a quick question, is it true that Plex will recognize forced subtitles automatically, but you have to be a Plex Pass member for this option? If it is, can any Plex Pass member confirm this?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #117 of 118 Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've got a quick question, is it true that Plex will recognize forced subtitles automatically, but you have to be a Plex Pass member for this option? If it is, can any Plex Pass member confirm this?

I have only been using the Plex Pass version. It does seem to recognize forced subtitles as far as I can tell ( like subtitles for foreign languages in small parts of a movie? Avatar would be an example?). The Plex Pass version is quite a bit better than the usual one though it will be free to all once the OS is upgraded. Sorry for the iffy reply but forced subtitles are slightly confusing to me.

Philip
post #118 of 118 Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I've changed the setting language on the Plex Media Server, refresh the jukebox, and also refresh the jukebox on the GS7. Thereafter, I tested Avatar again, and it did play the forced subtitles. I am going to test a few more movies, and see if it works. I'm probably going to be testing The Avengers.

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Nsz Gs7 Internet Player With Google Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page