Vizio brings AmazonVOD, Netflix and Vudu in one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 165 Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I posted this in the internet streaming forum, but thought people here would like to see it too.

Vizio has announced a googleTV box at CES that reportedly supports a full Chrome browser. Also, the three main streaming companies take a rather prominent place across the top of the remote....

-Suntan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 165 Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More info

Vizio Causes More HDTV Mayhem with the $100 1080p Stream Player

Vizio To Launch $99 Streaming Box, Trumps Roku and Apple TV In Features
post #3 of 165 Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Until we see the full feature set, including what local media playback features it has, I'm not so sure it'll be a Roku or even an ATV2 killer. Price is certainly right, as is the sleek design of both the unit and remote.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 165 Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is going on with the colored buttons? Red, green, yellow and white...

We have a 32" Vizio tv upstairs with apps (Netflix, Vudu and I believe Amazon) and I have to say it works really nice and the bluetooth remote with slide out keyboard is one of the coolest remotes for a tv I've ever seen. The only thing they left out was it to be illuminated.
post #5 of 165 Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 669

Wow! $100 is a good price. As long as the audio works fine, unlike something like the Revue which has borked audio, I might think about picking one of the Vizio boxes up with my Reward Zone dollars at Best Buy.

EDIT: I see that it says it will only be available from the Vizio site. Getting it for free from BestBuy would be fine, but I'm not spending $100 out of pocket for it. Although I would go as high as $50. Assuming the audio works correctly unlike on the Revue.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6 of 165 Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post

What is going on with the colored buttons? Red, green, yellow and white...

The last one is blue actually. They're just context-sensitive buttons; my non-smart Samsung TV has them too.
post #7 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Anyone else geeked about this? I'm in. For $99, heck yes I'm giving it a whirl. This article doesn't mention VUDU, but I hope it's included.

--

VIZIO Launches The VIZIO Co-Star With Google TV Giving Users The Power To Turn Any HDTV Into The Ultimate Smart TV

IRVINE, Calif., June 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- VIZIO, America's #1 LCD HDTV Company*, announced today the launch of the highly anticipated VIZIO Co-Star™ Stream Player. Using the latest version of Google TV™, the VIZIO Co-Star makes it easy to transform any HDTV into the ultimate smart TV, merging live and streaming entertainment into one intuitive and easy experience. With VIZIO's new stream player, users get instant access to thousands of apps, full-screen web browsing capabilities—via Google Chrome™ with Adobe® Flash® Player and HTML 5 support—and the best in streaming entertainment.

Unique to the stream player market, the VIZIO Co-Star offers the distinct advantage of connecting to a cable or satellite box. This allows viewers to enjoy live TV along with the web, apps, OnLive cloud gaming, and other streaming entertainment without interrupting what they're already watching. This integrated experience along with the universal touchpad remote with keyboard eliminates the need to switch TV inputs or remotes to access alternative content and provides viewers with a truly smart TV experience.

"Our focus to deliver the best consumer experience continues with today's announcement of the Co-Star, which delivers a superior smart TV interface that anyone can add to their existing HDTV," said Matt McRae, VIZIO's Chief Technology Officer. "We combined the powerful features of Google TV™ with an intuitive and easy to use interface, giving users the power to enjoy an entire world of entertainment."

The added benefit of Google TV's powerful search feature lets viewers easily browse websites, hunt for streaming movies or locate their favorite TV shows; and with picture-in-picture technology, it can all be done while simultaneously watching live TV action.

In addition to favorite apps such as Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, M-GO, YouTube® and iHeartRadio, the VIZIO Co-Star is the first stream player to offer video games on demand through the OnLive® Game Service. OnLive allows users to demo, watch and play hundreds of top-tier video games directly from 'the cloud' via their VIZIO Co-Star, eliminating the need for users to own an independent game console. With easy access to thousands of apps through Google Play, Co-Star offers the most comprehensive stream player available today.

Complementing the overall experience, the VIZIO Co-Star includes a universal Bluetooth® remote with an innovative touchpad that lets you touch, tap, scroll and drag. A full QWERTY keyboard helps users search for their favorite entertainment. Plus, its universal feature makes it easy to control home entertainment devices with one remote.

The VIZIO Co-Star incorporates a number of power user features intended to satisfy the variety of user demands, starting with support for 1080p Full HD and 3D entertainment. Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi provides easy wireless Internet access without unsightly wires. Integrated USB port connects to hard drives, keyboards and other peripherals. The VIZIO Co-Star even enables viewers to enjoy photos, music, and movies from any DLNA-enabled phone, tablet, or computer on the TV screen.

The VIZIO Co-Star exceeds expectations by combining a definitive user experience with a powerful smart TV platform, resulting in an all-in-one solution that brings the ultimate smart TV experience to any HDTV.

The VIZIO CO-Star will be available for pre-orders in July 2012 only on VIZIO.com for $99.99, with an introductory free shipping offer, while supplies last.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vizio-launches-the-vizio-co-startm-with-google-tv-giving-users-the-power-to-turn-any-hdtv-into-the-ultimate-smart-tv-2012-06-26

Add official blog post: http://blog.vizio.com/post/25917911031/get-a-closer-look-at-the-new-vizio-co-star-using
post #8 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking more interesting now that there is more info. on features, especially at $100. As expected, it's more Internet content centric as opposed to local playback. I see "H.264, MP4, MKV" noted for video playback and "Up to 5.1 channels of surround sound pass-through" for audio. I'm guessing just standard DTS and DD, not hd audio.

post #9 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I like the part where you can have your cable hooked up to it, and you can switch back and forth and control the cable box with the same remote. Other than that I don't see anything awesome about it. It would of been awesome to have more audio / video support such as M2TS, ISO, and HD sound. If it had that, I would of order one already.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #10 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I posted this in the internet streaming forum, but thought people here would like to see it too.

Vizio has announced a googleTV box at CES that reportedly supports a full Chrome browser. Also, the three main streaming companies take a rather prominent place across the top of the remote....

-Suntan

On the thread's first picture the remote shows "VUDU" as the third option for online streaming, but if you go to Vizio's website, it doesn't show "VUDU," but "M-GO" now. I prefer Vudu than Netflix.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM

I hope Vudu has just been de-emphasized. It doesn't have to have a special button on the remote, but I'd sure like it now that I have done 35 Disc-to-Digital movies. It's on their VIA apps, but those tend to be Yahoo based rather than Google based.

Vudu > Netflix for me as well.

But, check out the 1:10 mark of http://mgo.com/ promo video. Does M-Go group Amazon, Vudu, and Netflix into one app? Of course, that would be fine.
post #12 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post

I hope Vudu has just been de-emphasized. It doesn't have to have a special button on the remote, but I'd sure like it now that I have done 35 Disc-to-Digital movies. It's on their VIA apps, but those tend to be Yahoo based rather than Google based.
Vudu > Netflix for me as well.
But, check out the 1:10 mark of http://mgo.com/ promo video. Does M-Go group Amazon, Vudu, and Netflix into one app? Of course, that would be fine.

Yeah, I saw that as well. Hopefully, they still have vudu included. It looks like a pretty nice box for the bedroom, but not for a living room set up with surround sound since it doesn't support HD sound. Or it will be able to support Plex and you can transcode your media rolleyes.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #13 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 AM

Liked: 11
man, you guys sure want the moon and the sun for $100..
just sayin..
post #14 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

But, of course we do wink.gif.

Gus, PLEX is available via GoogleTV already, so should be supported on this box as well.

post #15 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

just sayin..

Why not support HD sound if other media players like AIOS can, which only cost $70 dollars. Vizio is on the right track, but I think Vizio knows they are not going to be selling these units like hot cakes. That's probably why they are only selling via Vizio's website. I was very excited when I saw this product until....No HD Sound, and only MKV support. I would of paid $150 if they added HD sound and M2TS and DVD ISO support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

But, of course we do wink.gif.
Gus, PLEX is available via GoogleTV already, so should be supported on this box as well.

That's great.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #16 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Why not support HD sound if other media players like AIOS can, which only cost $70 dollars. Vizio is on the right track, but I think Vizio knows they are not going to be selling these units like hot cakes. That's probably why they are only selling via Vizio's website. I was very excited when I saw this product until....No HD Sound, and only MKV support. I would of paid $150 if they added HD sound and M2TS and DVD ISO support.
That's great.
do we know for a FACT that it does not have HD sound, even if it is available in pass through mode for mkv's? (which I hate)
post #17 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

This is clearly aimed at those wanting online streaming services, with the local media support more of a value-add feature. The opposite of AIOS, PCH, etc. Vizio is using Marvell's ARM chip, so no hd audio I believe, but it should be able to do as much as Pivos' XIOS DS, assuming Vizio concentrated on pushing the local playback aspects.

post #18 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

just sayin..

Oh I agree. M-Go, Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, OnLive gaming, 3D, a Chrome browser, Flash, thousands of GooglePlay apps, universal remote with keyboard+gaming controls and pass through HDMI hook-up all for $99? Already an insane value for sure.
post #19 of 165 Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 AM

If true, then more incredible bang-for-the-buck:

http://blog.vizio.com/post/25917911031/get-a-closer-look-at-the-new-vizio-co-star-using

Q: Will it support the OnLive game controller?
A: OnLive Universal Controller requires an Android Device running 3.1 or later, so yes this will support the controller, and if it doesnt, give it 5 days tops and someone will hack it to support

Edit- It's official! OnLive's controller is supported

I just received a response in comments from Vizio in their Google+ feed:

VIZIO - 2:13 PM June 26, 2011
"Pre-orders will be available in July! And yes, the OnLive controller is supported. Thanks and have a great day!"

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103150452118666372391/posts
post #20 of 165 Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If no local content support like boxee box or other players, then this would be a flop even at $99.
post #21 of 165 Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 PM

If it has full access to the Apps store (which it sounds like it does), then you should be able to use whichever media player app you like for local playback... The real question I want to know is what sort of CPU this thing has - having tried the Xios DS, the 800MHz single-core cpu in that one just isn't fast enough for a lot of modern 1080p videos.
post #22 of 165 Old 06-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Can you give one example of an app which can play almost all media formats on google store now?
post #23 of 165 Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

Can you give one example of an app which can play almost all media formats on google store now?

Plex is available for google tv and will work well (if you have a server with plex ms running). Hopefully it won't need to transcode much for this box (my readynas can't handle transcoding on the fly for my iPad.)
post #24 of 165 Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know if this can do 1080p and 5.1 channel Dolby Digital Plus audio from the Netflix app? Not all devices with support for 1080p or 5.1 can do so from all apps, and Netflix tends to be a major offender.

I've asked Vizio but have yet to receive a response.
post #25 of 165 Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

MX Player is based off of ffMpeg and has pretty robust playback capability. Based on the quality of the SOC on the device, it even has hardware playback support for most common formats.

If you download the older 1.6f version from their webpage, it still has support for DTS decoding (was taken out recently because of licensing issues.)

No idea what it does on a GoogleTV box, but on my phone and tablet it means I don't really have to worry about format conversion anymore.

-Suntan
post #26 of 165 Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

meaning we have to have computer running all the time. Not good solution. the purpose of these devices should be to keep it simple
post #27 of 165 Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

meaning we have to have computer running all the time. Not good solution. the purpose of these devices should be to keep it simple

True, but if you have a NAS then it doesn't really matter if the plex media server software is running on the NAS, since the NAS has to be on to get at the data anyways. Different story if you are using USB drives to store the media.
post #28 of 165 Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM

In my fiddling with the Xios DS, MX player seemed to be one of the best players, certainly. Too bad even it couldn't keep up on the Xios cpu with many 1080p clips. It came close though, so I am hopeful that the Vizio will have a higher-end cpu and work.
post #29 of 165 Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

yeah, In my case, I am using 2tb wd drives.
post #30 of 165 Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM

The Verge has some more details:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3127055/vizio-co-star-hands-on-take-a-chance-on-google-tv-at-99?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

We showed you Vizio's tiny $99 Google TV and feature-heavy remote control back at CES, but it wasn't quite ready for primetime: here, at Google I/O in San Francisco, we sat down with Vizio CTO Matt McRae to discuss the impending July launch, and got our first real look at the Vizio Co-Star's UI.

In case you're not familiar, the Co-Star (formerly known as the VAP430) is an exceptionally small Google TV set top box about the size and shape of a large steamed meat bun, but far more sleek. It has just two HDMI ports, an ethernet jack, a USB socket, and a power plug to its name. Like other Google TV set tops, it sits between your television and cable box so that it can pass your video content along while adding an overlay on top, and like other Google TVs it comes with a heck of a controller. There are dedicated Netflix, Amazon VOD and M-Go buttons and a multi-touch trackpad on top of your typical TV controls, and a full QWERTY keyboard and game controls on the bottom of the remote. Only the controls that are face up are active, thanks to an orientation sensor inside.

One thing that's missing from the Co-Star since CES: a jack for an IR blaster to control your other components. That's because Vizio moved the IR blasters to the remote control, too: the Co-Star and remote send RF commands both ways, so you don't need them in the set-top-box itself: two large arrays of infrared LEDs on the front and side of the remote do that job as required. Optimally, the Co-Star will control your cable box directly via HDMI using IP commands, but McRae told us only Dish will allow IP control right now.

Anyhow, once you press the big V button in the center of the remote, that's when the magic begins: a large pane of Google TV apps appears on the left-side of the screen, where it only partially obscures your content. McRae told us the Vizio box uses Marvell's latest dual-core Armada 1500 processor, and was particularly proud of the per-pixel alpha blending technique the silicon enables: the menu not only blocks only a portion of video playing on the screen, but it's also partially transparent so you can see some of your content through it. As you'd expect from a television, the UI isn't very complex, pretty much just a place for your apps to go, but we got a quick video of the interface in action, as well as OnLive streaming games to the Google TV, immediately below.

CTO Matt McRae was also particularly bullish on the OnLive integration, which brings the streaming game service to its first Google TV device, and claims that the company "spent months and months and months fine-tuning the code to get it to the point where OnLive was proud" of the response time. Unfortunately, in the crowded wireless environment of Google I/O, at least, it was laggy to the point it wasn't really playable. Hopefully that changes in the comfort of one's home, because Google TV is pretty light on games of any sort right now.

For that matter, content providers haven't been kind to the platform, too. When we asked McRae about the divide between the TV services available in a typical computer web browser and those on Google TV, he admitted that the networks still have a stranglehold on TV shows — no 18 month prediction this time — but said that the movie ecosystem has changed. "Give us a few months: you're going to see one or two more services [on Google TV] this summer, with all the movies you'd ever want to watch."

Considering the state of Google TV, we asked McRae if even a $99 box was worth the investment right now. "Nobody's going to launch the future of TV on their first try, including us," he said, bidding us think of Android's launch. "[Google] may not succeed on their first release of anything, but they iterate well," he told us. It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, though, as real development for Google TV won't commence unless Google TV sells, and McRae hopes the $99 Co-Star creates a low enough barrier to entry for the idea to catch on.

Co-Star pre-orders will begin as early as Monday morning, and McRae says the first devices should ship three to four weeks after that. We're looking forward to bringing you a full review sometime before then.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page