Best MKV Streamer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently, I own a Boxee Box which can stream MKV but is an absolutely HORRIBLE device. Between firmware/software issues since launch and now hardware issues, this is by far the worse electronic device I have owned.

That out of the way, I am looking for an extremely reliable MKV streamer, period. If the device can perform other functions that would be great but at this point I just want to make sure MKV streaming works flawlessly.

I know WD Live can stream MKV files, looking for opinions and other options.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Dune Smart Series... in this case you do get what you pay for!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #3 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The only thing the Dune does not do for mkvs currently is it does not respect the forced subtitle flag in mkvs

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 PM

I started using Roku 2 XS USB Media Channel to play MKV's through USB cause I was having such trouble finding a stable streaming MKV player.
post #5 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
+1 for Dune
post #6 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
dune or the pch. the pch does forced subs. It has more complete mkv support than dune it seems.
post #7 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post

Currently, I own a Boxee Box which can stream MKV but is an absolutely HORRIBLE device. Between firmware/software issues since launch and now hardware issues, this is by far the worse electronic device I have owned.

That out of the way, I am looking for an extremely reliable MKV streamer, period. If the device can perform other functions that would be great but at this point I just want to make sure MKV streaming works flawlessly.

I know WD Live can stream MKV files, looking for opinions and other options.

Thanks!

Would you like to elaborate as to why you feel the boxee is such a horrible device! I find the device to be flawless in playing higher definition mkv files (5gb +) through my my AVR (Yamaha RX A-1000) with DTS sound! I also find its handling of flac music files (and other lesser quality formats) to be without problem too.

We are disadvantaged in Australia in that we are regionally blocked by many of the apps but as a purely playback device IMO it exceeds expectations!
post #8 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM

I use dune HD smart d1 and it streams everything I've thrown at it.
post #9 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth_oz View Post

Would you like to elaborate as to why you feel the boxee is such a horrible device! I find the device to be flawless in playing higher definition mkv files (5gb +) through my my AVR (Yamaha RX A-1000) with DTS sound! I also find its handling of flac music files (and other lesser quality formats) to be without problem too.

We are disadvantaged in Australia in that we are regionally blocked by many of the apps but as a purely playback device IMO it exceeds expectations!

bad IR support
Audio Drop outs
SMB issues
scraping issues
generally bugginess
etc

but audio drop outs are the one that makes it such a poor choice for anyone who cares about trueHD and DTS-MA.

Sean
post #10 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
If you had the options of only the Dune or PCH, I would recommend the Dune. I had the A300 PCH and it was awesome when it worked, but at the moment it has too many bugs.

That said, it depends on how much $$ you want to spent. You can buy a $99.00 dollars media player that can play mkv, but you won't get the nice interface unless you hack it like the Patrio Box can be hacked and you can use other media player interfaces such as the Mede8ers. It looks awesome, and it has a large forum with suggestion and how to's.

I mainly do m2ts files and mkv files. After returning the A300, I ordered the Mede8er ($220) and the AIOS ($89.99) to test them out.

A forum member (streamlover) bought the AIOS and flashed it with the xtremer UI, and he said it looked awesome, but it had a bug that the on / off button on the media player wouldn't turn the unit off. He also had issues with playing ISO files.

I'm supposed to be getting both media players today. So, I'm going to try to test them out, and see what happens.

Good luck with your decision. There are a lot of media players out there.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

GusGus has issues with audio drops (that myself and other A300 owners are experiencing as well). I definitely hope this is something that gets fixed ASAP as I expect more and more A300 owners will lose their patience. To date the only player I have owned/tested that continues to play everything I throw at it without issue are the Dunes.

Cheers,
Damian

post #12 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Currently, I own a Boxee Box which can stream MKV but is an absolutely HORRIBLE device.

I have zero issues with MKV's on my Boxee Box, not factoring in the hd audio dropouts which we're all waiting for Feb/March fix of course.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #13 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

GusGus has issues with audio drops (that myself and other A300 owners are experiencing as well). I definitely hope this is something that gets fixed ASAP as I expect more and more A300 owners will lose their patience. To date the only player I have owned/tested that continues to play everything I throw at it without issue are the Dunes.

Don't get me started with being unable to change cover/fan art. Showing the wrong art, and towards the end it wouldn't play a movie. I would push play or select play and it would go back to the movie menu. I had to re-scan the folder / drive in order to play the movies again....it got annoying....sorry just had to rant.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #14 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Don't get me started with being unable to change cover/fan art. Showing the wrong art, and towards the end it wouldn't play a movie. I would push play or select play and it would go back to the movie menu. I had to re-scan the folder / drive in order to play the movies again....it got annoying....sorry just had to rant.

Yeah. NMJ is definitely not an optimal solution. I can't knock Syabas too much on it because they are at least making the effort to have a legitimate internal jukebox/UI, but still not something I would use currently

Cheers,
Damian

post #15 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah. NMJ is definitely not an optimal solution. I can't knock Syabas too much on it because they are at least making the effort to have a legitimate internal jukebox/UI, but still not something I would use currently

After what I went through with the A300 NMJ, I wouldn't either

Home Theater Set Up:

post #16 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

My AIOS just got delivered. Time to go play!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #17 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Besides not being able to output HD audio, are there any reasons not to get a WD Live player?
It plays all my mkv just fine and plus hacking it makes the interface a lot better.
post #18 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post

Besides not being able to output HD audio, are there any reasons not to get a WD Live player?
It plays all my mkv just fine and plus hacking it makes the interface a lot better.

Stutters with lots of BD rips. not an issue if you watch the lower quality stuff from ********** but ripping BD's results in a lot of files that dont play well.

Higher end sigma designs chips dont have that issue.
post #19 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought my parents a WDTV2 for xmas. They love it. I tested m2ts, mkv, iso, and m4v files, and they all play without a problem. However, I test all these files via a 2tb hdd connected to the WDTV2 via USB. I didn't test network streaming capabilities for these files.

However, I did test the wireless network with netflix and vudu, and it played every movie with out any issues.

My parents have a 5.1 surround sound with an older AVR, which has no HDMI, and I connected the WDTV2 via optical cable. All the movies sounded excellent. They didn't have True HD sound, but had the next AC3 track sound, which sounded excellent.

My parents love the Pandora App. the most though

Home Theater Set Up:

post #20 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a quick test of my m2ts, mkv and folder ts / vob files with the AIOS HD Media player.

Let me just say that for $89.00 dollars this player is more than worth it. I was able to set up it and access my shares via samba wired network in less than 4 min.

It played every m2ts files with HD sound. It played every SD MKV file I tried, but it wasn't able to recognize folder structure with multiple files, which I don't care about since I'm making them into MKV files.

I only have m2ts and mkv files since this is my preferred method for movies. However, I will do a couple of ISO and test them out. I wont be able to do this until the weekend though. I just got of work, and I need to go to bed.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #21 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

curious

your own review tests show the A-300 playing more stuff than your dune review. has this changed due to firmware. we know the A-300 is new and probably buggy but what exactly is the PCH C-200 failing on that the dune plays well?
post #22 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

curious

your own review tests show the A-300 playing more stuff than your dune review. has this changed due to firmware. we know the A-300 is new and probably buggy but what exactly is the PCH C-200 failing on that the dune plays well?

The 300 or the 200?

The 200 for me the biggest drawback is that it does not downmix TrueHD, so I would get no sound. The 300 series implemented this so that was a big positive.

As far as versus the Dune, the only things off the top of my head that the PCH can do that the Dune cannot is:

- forced subtitle support for mkvs
- send signal to auto switch tv into 3D mode for 3D sbs mkvs
- playback of some higher level WMC w/ WMAPro audio (applies to 300 only, not 200).

However, with the Dune I have no issues with audio dropouts which the 300 suffers from, no issues with TrueHD downmix (which the 200 suffers from), and no issues with seamless branch Blu-rays (which the 300 suffers from)

Cheers,
Damian

post #23 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

My AIOS just got delivered. Time to go play!

Let us know what you think. Are you planning to try out the modified Xtreamer firmware?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #24 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Is the OP still around?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #25 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Let us know what you think. Are you planning to try out the modified Xtreamer firmware?

I had a quick test of my m2ts, mkv and folder ts / vob files with the AIOS HD Media player.

Let me just say that for $89.00 dollars this player is more than worth it. I was able to set up it and access my shares via samba wired network in less than 4 min.

It played every m2ts files with HD sound. It played every SD MKV file I tried, but it wasn't able to recognize folder structure with multiple files, which I don't care about since I'm making them into MKV files.

I only have m2ts and mkv files since this is my preferred method for movies. However, I will do a couple of ISO and test them out. I wont be able to do this until the weekend though. I just got of work, and I need to go to bed.

Yes I will be flashing it with the xtremer ui.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #26 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes I will be flashing it with the xtremer ui.

And if you guys play your cards right GusGus will flash you as well

Cheers,
Damian

post #27 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And if you guys play your cards right GusGus will flash you as well

That cost extra!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #28 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 300 or the 200?

The 200 for me the biggest drawback is that it does not downmix TrueHD, so I would get no sound. The 300 series implemented this so that was a big positive.

As far as versus the Dune, the only things off the top of my head that the PCH can do that the Dune cannot is:

- forced subtitle support for mkvs
- send signal to auto switch tv into 3D mode for 3D sbs mkvs
- playback of some higher level WMC w/ WMAPro audio (applies to 300 only, not 200).

However, with the Dune I have no issues with audio dropouts which the 300 suffers from, no issues with TrueHD downmix (which the 200 suffers from), and no issues with seamless branch Blu-rays (which the 300 suffers from)

Got it. thanks for the info.
post #29 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 PM

Also don't forget that the Dune doesn't support 1920x1080 sup/idx subtitles (onyl 480p). Means you are out of luck with ripping to MKV with DVDFab as this is the only MKV subtitle format DVDFab supports.
post #30 of 67 Old 01-12-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranthir View Post

Also don't forget that the Dune doesn't support 1920x1080 sup/idx subtitles (onyl 480p). Means you are out of luck with ripping to MKV with DVDFab as this is the only MKV subtitle format DVDFab supports.

How are you creating 1080p IDX/SUB subtitles? Typical DVDs are only 480p IDX/SUB subtitles, and Blu-rays use 1080p PGS/SUP, so the only way DVDFab would be creating 1080p IDX/SUB subtitles would be if you are asking it to create this specifically (I have not used DVDFab in a while, but I don't know why it would insist on creating 1080p IDX/SUB subtitles)

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page