New Dune HD Sigma 8910 anticipation thread Q2 2012 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 409 Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Newbie
 
moxxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

I don't know if the issue with cinavia in every BR player manufactured after Feb 2012 has any play on this? I have been told that Sigma will release a chip in the 86XX series that will support 3D bluray and HDMI 1.4

including VXP?
moxxey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 409 Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxxey View Post

including VXP?

probably not in the 86xx series
Manni01 is offline  
post #183 of 409 Old 05-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Newbie
 
KinkyGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any news regarding to the player?
Or is ist already known when a new player will be announced?
KinkyGG is offline  
post #184 of 409 Old 05-19-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyGG View Post

Are there any news regarding to the player?
Or is ist already known when a new player will be announced?

No news so far, kinda surprised actually

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #185 of 409 Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Maybe DiabloZoe will have an update for us?
Manni01 is offline  
post #186 of 409 Old 05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I doubt we will hear anything i think the 8910 is dead.
halfelite is online now  
post #187 of 409 Old 05-19-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

I doubt we will hear anything i think the 8910 is dead.

We're (well, at least I'm) not talking about the 8910 (which is most likely dead indeed) but about the 86xx with hdmi 1.4 and 3dbd support. See a few post above.
Manni01 is offline  
post #188 of 409 Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

We're (well, at least I'm) not talking about the 8910 (which is most likely dead indeed) but about the 86xx with hdmi 1.4 and 3dbd support. See a few post above.

The 86xx chips are already out they are not going to come out with any new model for the 86xx chips. so we wait and see.
halfelite is online now  
post #189 of 409 Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
DiabloZoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sigma is going to have to come up with something! There chip roadmap is still showing the 8910, at some point in time realtek will get it together and be on top!
DiabloZoe is offline  
post #190 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
denass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Its a shame nothing happening from them--its now may 2012 and no news about anything on the horizon

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
denass is offline  
post #191 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post


The 86xx chips are already out they are not going to come out with any new model for the 86xx chips. so we wait and see.

Please read up the thread. We are not talking about the existing 86xx chips, but a new variant which would allow hdmi 1.4 without having to wait for the most probably defunct 8910.
Manni01 is offline  
post #192 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

Sigma is going to have to come up with something! There chip roadmap is still showing the 8910, at some point in time realtek will get it together and be on top!

So I gather you haven't heard anything from your contact with Dune. Any chance you could try to get an update from him/her?

Personally I really don't care which chip is in the next dune, I just want full BD support (not just lite) for both 2D and 3D with proper 23.976hz for both as well. If realtek provides that at some point, go Realtek, but it means for Dune a complete new development, breaking compatibility with older models, and for us a lot more bugs to go through, so I really prefer the interim 86xx solution.
Manni01 is offline  
post #193 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
DiabloZoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post


So I gather you haven't heard anything from your contact with Dune. Any chance you could try to get an update from him/her?

No I have not talked with him for a while as I've been out of the state. I will try and get in contact when I get back and see if I can get any info!
DiabloZoe is offline  
post #194 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post


No I have not talked with him for a while as I've been out of the state. I will try and get in contact when I get back and see if I can get any info!

Thanks, much appreciated.
Manni01 is offline  
post #195 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

So I gather you haven't heard anything from your contact with Dune. Any chance you could try to get an update from him/her?

Personally I really don't care which chip is in the next dune, I just want full BD support (not just lite) for both 2D and 3D with proper 23.976hz for both as well. If realtek provides that at some point, go Realtek, but it means for Dune a complete new development, breaking compatibility with older models, and for us a lot more bugs to go through, so I really prefer the interim 86xx solution.

That is the potential issue. We may no longer see full BD support on newer chips because that will mean Cinavia

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #196 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

That is the potential issue. We may no longer see full BD support on newer chips because that will mean Cinavia

Full menu / Lite menu is something that I really don't care about. All I care about is that Dune builds something that can play 2D and 3D without any issues. For the looks of things, I don't think this will happened any time soon.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is online now  
post #197 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


That is the potential issue. We may no longer see full BD support on newer chips because that will mean Cinavia

I thought Cinavia is/would only be implemented in devices with internal disc players?

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

jconjason is offline  
post #198 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post


I thought Cinavia is/would only be implemented in devices with internal disc players?

Well, yes and no. A bd license is required for a player to be able to decrypt a bd disc for playback (regardless of an internal drive). This bd license is what brings cinavia (along with the hardware supporting)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #199 of 409 Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Please read up the thread. We are not talking about the existing 86xx chips, but a new variant which would allow hdmi 1.4 without having to wait for the most probably defunct 8910.

I read above and what im saying is there will not be another 86xx model with hdmi1.4 it would be a new model it would not fit in the same number scheme sigma runs for the 86xx so it would be named something different, But I doubt we will see anything, nothing has been announced from them in awhile.
halfelite is online now  
post #200 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post


I read above and what im saying is there will not be another 86xx model with hdmi1.4 it would be a new model it would not fit in the same number scheme sigma runs for the 86xx so it would be named something different, But I doubt we will see anything, nothing has been announced from them in awhile.

Who cares about the number they give it? What it is is a 86xx with hdmi 1.4. and 3dbd support. They can call it 87xx if they want. What it means is they can do this more easily than develop a new chip which is so late it has no market anymore (8910), and manufacturers like Dune will have minimal work to use the new sdk and implement the new features. If they don't release this soon they are definitely dead.
Manni01 is offline  
post #201 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


Well, yes and no. A bd license is required for a player to be able to decrypt a bd disc for playback (regardless of an internal drive). This bd license is what brings cinavia (along with the hardware supporting)

I also thought cinavia was only mandatory with internal bd players, and that was the reason why there was no bd player in the hd pro main unit, but you might be right.
Manni01 is offline  
post #202 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I also thought cinavia was only mandatory with internal bd players, and that was the reason why there was no bd player in the hd pro main unit, but you might be right.

In theory, all the Dune Smart players (with the exception of the Lite) are subject to Cinavia since they all have BD licenses. I doubt you will ever see this happen for the current players, and worse case you simply don't upgrade your fw. For future players I don't see how these companies will be able to get around unless they drop BD licenses altogether (which is my guess what will happen).

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #203 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Opentoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I doubt these thousand dollar players will ever hit the market. My god, they have a tough time selling a few hundred dollar player. Ummm, it is the end of May and not a peep.

I'm a complainer. I'm not a Dune fan anymore, just due to the fact they increased their prices quite a bit for no reason at all. Considering their chipsets and technology is a few years old I do not want to support their business practices hiking up prices for the same exact stuff people bought for much less a couple years ago. "SOME" regulation should be applied. Sorry, but I don't like greedy companies. Everyone can be rich and happy at a medium.
Opentoe is offline  
post #204 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
 
streamerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I doubt these thousand dollar players will ever hit the market. My god, they have a tough time selling a few hundred dollar player. Ummm, it is the end of May and not a peep.

I'm a complainer. I'm not a Dune fan anymore, just due to the fact they increased their prices quite a bit for no reason at all. Considering their chipsets and technology is a few years old I do not want to support their business practices hiking up prices for the same exact stuff people bought for much less a couple years ago. "SOME" regulation should be applied. Sorry, but I don't like greedy companies. Everyone can be rich and happy at a medium.

So you know for a "FACT" that they increased the prices for "no reason"?
If you don't want to support them, that is clearly your choice, and one I respect, but what player out there does what the Dune does at the even newer higher price point?
You state that you don't like "greedy companies". Ok, well what if by raising their prices is the only way that Dune could still stay in business? Would that be ok with you then?
Bottom line, is that if you don't like a company, and don't want to support it, DON'T. But to throw stuff like "they increased their prices quite a bit for no reason", when you don't know that for a fact is just wrong.
I won't even get started on your "some regulation" should be applied comment...
streamerlover is offline  
post #205 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
DiabloZoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As of Feb 2012 all BR players will be infected with cinavia. Now I'm not sure if this pertains to all units with a license and I'm wondering if money talks comes into play. Cinavia would kill dunes business and if it's supposed to be in all players dune should have pushed out a FW update or lost the license! Maybe they said we will pay more to keep the license hense the price jump?
DiabloZoe is offline  
post #206 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
 
streamerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

dune should have pushed out a FW update or lost the license!

Where in the WORLD did you get this information from? This is flat out wrong...
streamerlover is offline  
post #207 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
DiabloZoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Where in the WORLD did you get this information from? This is flat out wrong...

It's a statement not a FACT! Dune still has the BR license but no cinavia it's not chip specific! So does cinavia = BR license? If so dune should push out cinavia or push out a FW update removing the full support because you own a pre 2012 BR player don't think it won't be infected!
DiabloZoe is offline  
post #208 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I doubt these thousand dollar players will ever hit the market. My god, they have a tough time selling a few hundred dollar player. Ummm, it is the end of May and not a peep.

I'm a complainer. I'm not a Dune fan anymore, just due to the fact they increased their prices quite a bit for no reason at all. Considering their chipsets and technology is a few years old I do not want to support their business practices hiking up prices for the same exact stuff people bought for much less a couple years ago. "SOME" regulation should be applied. Sorry, but I don't like greedy companies. Everyone can be rich and happy at a medium.

I don't agree with Dune raising the prices, but curious about your comment on regulation as not sure what that would have to do with them raising prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

As of Feb 2012 all BR players will be infected with cinavia. Now I'm not sure if this pertains to all units with a license and I'm wondering if money talks comes into play. Cinavia would kill dunes business and if it's supposed to be in all players dune should have pushed out a FW update or lost the license! Maybe they said we will pay more to keep the license hense the price jump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

It's a statement not a FACT! Dune still has the BR license but no cinavia it's not chip specific! So does cinavia = BR license? If so dune should push out cinavia or push out a FW update removing the full support because you own a pre 2012 BR player don't think it won't be infected!

Actually it is chipset specific. The Chipset/fw first has to support Cinavia before it can implemented. There has been a question about whether the 8642/8643 has Cinavia implemented in the chipset/fw.

My guess, you will not see this pushed through on the current line of Dunes,simply because it would cause a massive mess to owners who could then go after Dune for selling a device that does not do what is advertised. All new players that have a BR license it is fair game, currently players I honestly would not worry

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #209 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
DiabloZoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


I don't agree with Dune raising the prices, but curious about your comment on regulation as not sure what that would have to do with them raising prices.

Actually it is chipset specific. The Chipset/fw first has to support Cinavia before it can implemented. There has been a question about whether the 8642/8643 has Cinavia implemented in the chipset/fw.

My guess, you will not see this pushed through on the current line of Dunes,simply because it would cause a massive mess to owners who could then go after Dune for selling a device that does not do what is advertised. All new players that have a BR license it is fair game, currently players I honestly would not worry

So all new players after 2012 have a new chipsett? and no player before 2012 can get cinavia unless it was implemented in the chip before hand? Why waste the extra money? It would be a fine line for owners to go after dune because cinavia only stops making illegal back ups of movies, I don't think dunes specs say a dune player will play anything and everything. Purchasers of Fab software could demand a refund because it can't back up cinavia protected discs. All sony ps3 players old and new are infected with cinavia with a FW update. It was in the chip from the beginning?
DiabloZoe is offline  
post #210 of 409 Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
 
streamerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

So all new players after 2012 have a new chipsett? and no player before 2012 can get cinavia unless it was implemented in the chip before hand? Why waste the extra money? It would be a fine line for owners to go after dune because cinavia only stops making illegal back ups of movies, I don't think dunes specs say a dune player will play anything and everything. Purchasers of Fab software could demand a refund because it can't back up cinavia protected discs. All sony ps3 players old and new are infected with cinavia with a FW update. It was in the chip from the beginning?

You obviously have not read up on cinavia on what it "is" and what it "does". I suggest you go do some research. Posting that cinavia "only stops making illegal back ups of movies" is wrong.
dbone1026 is a lot nicer than I am and will try to explain it to you. Personally, I think someone should do their research before just posting up misleading statements that others may view as fact.
streamerlover is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off