Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys. Quick question. I'm new to Media Centers and my needs are pretty basic so I don't want to pay for a ton of features that I don't need. I'm tired of watching MKV and other video files on my laptop. I'm ready to watch them on my TV WITH the full HD audio playback via my HT receiver. I don't care about 3D as nothing in my home theater is 3D anyway. Is the Pivos AIOS HD Media Center for me?

Sorry for the noob question.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Hey guys. Quick question. I'm new to Media Centers and my needs are pretty basic. I'm tired of watching MKV and other video files on my laptop. I'm ready to watch them on my TV WITH the full HD audio playback via my HT receiver. I don't care about 3D as nothing in my home theater is 3D anyway. Is the Pivos AIOS HD Media Center for me?

Sorry for the noob question.

That was almost my exact situation as well, except I was watching through a desktop. I'm very pleased with my Pivos.

Maybe buy from a seller with a good return policy in case you don't like it?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.lebowski View Post

That was almost my exact situation as well, except I was watching through a desktop. I'm very pleased with my Pivos.

Maybe buy from a seller with a good return policy in case you don't like it?

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, if I buy it I'll almost definitely buy from Amazon so returns are not a problem. I'm just glad to have some quick feedback. I have some more reading to do but I'll probably pull the trigger.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

There is currently an issue bitstreaming DTS-MA from MKV containers (works fine from ISO rips though).

Does anyone know if this issue has been corrected yet?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

I don't know of any issues. I don't have any, but I rip all my movies with ClownBD. The only movies I rip as mkv are SD movies.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I don't know of any issues. I don't have any, but I rip all my movies with ClownBD. The only movies I rip as mkv are SD movies.

Yeah, if you rip that way then you wouldn't know about any HD format issues with MKV. I guess I'll wait for confirmation of a fix before I buy.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

In regards to your previous question re HD audio from mkv files, I am able to confirm that, with the 3.0.11 firmware, my avr indicates that it is receiving DTS-HD MA and TrueHD from mkv files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

With the official 2.8.3.2, I get the same results as with XtrAIOS 3.0.11.

Under hdmi audio wIth the official firmware, I can choose raw, lpcm, or multi lpcm. Raw sends 2.0 pcm to my avr from a 5.1 uncompressed soundtrack. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are fine with raw.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Aasoror,

What the file name/format in order for the AIOS to play folder, background metadata? I forgot.

I ordered a Dune Smart B1, and it should be here today. I will be using Zappitti for the jukebox, and I was wondering if the AIOS will be able to play the same files, so I don't have to run another jukebox for it.

Home Theater Set Up:

Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

file browser: 0folder.jpg (or the very first image in ascii order).
cover mode: folder.jpg
poster mode: poster.jpg
jukebox files: customizable to whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Aasoror,

What the file name/format in order for the AIOS to play folder, background metadata? I forgot.

I ordered a Dune Smart B1, and it should be here today. I will be using Zappitti for the jukebox, and I was wondering if the AIOS will be able to play the same files, so I don't have to run another jukebox for it.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post

First day playing with this box, and I noticed black levels are badly crushed. Further testing shows the HDMI output is incorrectly sending PC level, not Video level, and there is no obvious setting to change this.

Have you tried XtrAIOS (from the wiki linked in the second post) ? IIRC there was a setting for RGB HDMI
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

fixed.

thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Have you tried XtrAIOS (from the wiki linked in the second post) ? IIRC there was a setting for RGB HDMI

I tried XtrAIOS-3.0.11 and didn't see any options for HDMI RGB output range. There are video controls for Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Hue. For now I can workaround it by setting the input level on the Lumagen, but that's a bit of a pain.

Are there any hidden menus?

--Dan
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 10
Would this be able to stream an mp4 w/aac audio from my media server and send the aac as lpcm over hdmi to my receiver (onkyo tx-nr709)?

I'm starting to run into personal rips that have cinavia so I'm trying to find something to replace the ps3 for media streaming. And the part of my collection I've done so far has been ripped specifically for the ps3, so they are all in the mp4 container with multi channel aac since the ps3 plays it natively.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 AM

How do i get rid of duplicate folders in the network folder? It sees my computer twice so i want to get rid of a folder. Also how do i add movies to the side bar folder thats says video nad the music one as well. I dont really like the 3.017 firmware so can i just use AIOS-SO-FW- 2.8.3.2 over top of it a semi official firmaware?

Yamaha HTR-8063
B&W DM-604
B&W CC6
B&W L1
Fluance AVBP2 Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers
Polk Audio PSW125 Sub
Klipsch AW-400 out door
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM

aasoror,
Thanks for your guidance here, I updated to the semi-official firmware from your post here:

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic...=6&t=250#p1824

Thanks for adding all the extra apps too, which adds more variety to pivos and and I'll use it ali more often now, I've been playing around with what this update gives and I like it alot more than the installed firmware.

I have one question about the firmware download. Along with the download came 3319
song titles that are in the music file that I cant seem to delete. It seems like its in the firmware itself, it doesnt show up in my HDD installed.

2 more questions please, I have all my CD's on my pc ripped with Windows Media Player Lossless, the Pivos says invalid file so I guess doing new rips to Flac would work?

And is there anyway to add "crackle" to the apps to get the free streaming movies added to your unofficial firmware?

Angelo
Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 PM

how do i add the semi? normal update or force?

Yamaha HTR-8063
B&W DM-604
B&W CC6
B&W L1
Polk Audio PSW125 Sub
Klipsch AW-400 out door
Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM

I tried the normal first, had alot of wavy lines and the pivos kept rebooting and rebooting. It worked no problem intalling in panic mode for me

Angelo
Old 03-03-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

I tried the normal first, had alot of wavy lines and the pivos kept rebooting and rebooting. It worked no problem intalling in panic mode for me

This has been covered ad museum. If you have the latest bootcode, always install firmware "forced"! It solves all those woes...
Old 03-04-2012, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/04/2012: AIOS_AASOROR-R18_3.0.1.7
Extras:
- Extend writable space to 100MB
- Move /tmp_orig/www to writable space
- Add SO version under misc->firmware info
- Allow hostname change using System -> Device name but requires reboot
- Extends IMS library.

Download the file from here (use PANIC RECOVERY to apply the firmware).

Give it try, you will be pleasantly surprised
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 AM

wrong link this is the right one

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434

Yamaha HTR-8063
B&W DM-604
B&W CC6
B&W L1
Polk Audio PSW125 Sub
Klipsch AW-400 out door
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 AM

i just use a external hd for movies. How do i make this movie jukebox with that?

Yamaha HTR-8063
B&W DM-604
B&W CC6
B&W L1
Polk Audio PSW125 Sub
Klipsch AW-400 out door
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I will install it in a few minute. Yesterday, I had to add a new 8 port gigabit switch, and everything works fine with the exception of the AIOS. When I runs a check on the DHCP Manual, and says "Failed," I ran it on auto and it "Failed" too, which is strange because my xbox is connected to the same switch, and the xbox connected just fine.

Here's my set up: router---> 8 port giga ---> 5 port giga located in our bedroom.

I will installed the new FW, and see if this changes anything. None of my other devices have issue with connection.

Home Theater Set Up:

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had to install a 8 port switch recently too and ran into the same issues myself. I think I was trying to use the wrong output or wan port from my router into the switch and it kept doing the same thing. I finally gave up and just grabbed the last normal port from my router into the first port of the switch, then everything started working immediately. I'd have to look up now exactly how I was TRYING to hook it up but it had to be a normal output port from the router into any port on the switch then it was happy.
One of the ports on your router should be a wan port or the manin input for your cable modem or whatever your trying to feed over the network and the other 4 are the outputs for the things that need to share and get a IP and all that, the switch wants to be fed from one of those to I think any of it's 8 ports.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I had to install a 8 port switch recently too and ran into the same issues myself. I think I was trying to use the wrong output or wan port from my router into the switch and it kept doing the same thing. I finally gave up and just grabbed the last normal port from my router into the first port of the switch, then everything started working immediately. I'd have to look up now exactly how I was TRYING to hook it up but it had to be a normal output port from the router into any port on the switch then it was happy.
One of the ports on your router should be a wan port or the manin input for your cable modem or whatever your trying to feed over the network and the other 4 are the outputs for the things that need to share and get a IP and all that, the switch wants to be fed from one of those to I think any of it's 8 ports.

I got it working, but now the light in the 8 port switch leading to the 5 port switch is blinking orange, but the 5 port switch is solid green. I connected the cat5e leading to the 5 port giga switch directly to the router and i get the same orange light. I can access the internet and streaming all my movies to the AIOS without issues, but it bothers me not have that solid green light lol.

Orange means the i'm gett 100 / 200 mbps, which more than enough the stream my movies though.

Home Theater Set Up:

Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm sure the way the light displays is to tell you what it's doing. My new 8 port simple smart switch shows green for a 100 connection, yellow for gig, and out for 10 It's probably it's form of showing activity on the line and I bet your manual or online will let you know exactly what that color and flashing means. My units flash when the lines are busy doing transfers and things. I have a Dlink 651 wifi/giga router, and the new Trendnet giga smart, green, switch TEG-S8g that has 2 sets of lights per port, one shows connection speed, other shows connected and activity.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I'm sure the way the light displays is to tell you what it's doing. My new 8 port simple smart switch shows green for a 100 connection, yellow for gig, and out for 10 It's probably it's form of showing activity on the line and I bet your manual or online will let you know exactly what that color and flashing means. My units flash when the lines are busy doing transfers and things. I have a Dlink 651 wifi/giga router, and the new Trendnet giga smart, green, switch TEG-S8g that has 2 sets of lights per port, one shows connection speed, other shows connected and activity.

Trendnet 8 gigabit switch
Green = gigabit
orange / yellow = 100 / 200 mbps
out = 10 mbps or no connection

I had to mess around with where I connected each cat5e cable, and I found a way where my unRaid server gets at least 35 mbps transfer speed, which is what I care the most.

So, now they are on different ports but it works. I still got the yellow / orange light for the AIOS and DUNE, but everything works and streams the movie just fine.

Home Theater Set Up:

Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post

Are there any hidden menus?

My mistake I guess I was confusing firmwares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post

Would this be able to stream an mp4 w/aac audio from my media server and send the aac as lpcm over hdmi to my receiver (onkyo tx-nr709)?

I don't see why it shouldn't but if you can post a sample and pass a link I can test it for your.
Quote:

aasoror,
Thanks for your guidance here, I updated to the semi-official firmware from your post here:

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic...=6&t=250#p1824

This is based on the now outdated 2.8.3.2, there is two semiofficial firmwares based on the newer 3.0.1.7 (R17 and R18).

Quote:

I have one question about the firmware download. Along with the download came 3319
song titles that are in the music file that I cant seem to delete. It seems like its in the firmware itself, it doesnt show up in my HDD installed.

Interesting, I assume you have done panic recovery. That said where are these titles visible (in the libraries) ?

Quote:

2 more questions please, I have all my CD's on my pc ripped with Windows Media Player Lossless, the Pivos says invalid file so I guess doing new rips to Flac would work?

I don't think WMA lossless is supported, but Flac should be.

Quote:

And is there anyway to add "crackle" to the apps to get the free streaming movies added to your unofficial firmware?

You can get crackle to the box using playon.tv (R17 or later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andjayik View Post

how do i add the semi? normal update or force?

Force.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is the media for the new firmware

Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 AM

This is based on the now outdated 2.8.3.2, there is two semiofficial firmwares based on the newer 3.0.1.7 (R17 and R18).

Yep I updated the newest firmware again.

Interesting, I assume you have done panic recovery. That said where are these titles visible (in the libraries) ?

They show up when you hit the music icon in the main menu. If you hit the enter button on the first song it says invalid file and then it scans all 3319 titles for about 15 minutes, the only way I can escape out is to flip the power switch to off. The titles are also on the newer 3.0.1.7 R18 update. It seems no one else has reported this snafu here.

It wouldnt be a problem if the music was included, at least not for me....

I simply cannot remove these titles anyway I try, I may have to revert back to the original firmware to delete them off?

I don't think WMA lossless is supported, but Flac should be.

Thanks......

You can get crackle to the box using playon.tv (R17 or later).

I'll give it a try, I know this is pretty easy stuff for most posting here but this is my first experience with any media player and alot of it is just fumbling around and getting the feel of it for me, I really dont have alot of free time to invest in it right now, so thanks for your great and helpful responses to all here!

Angelo