Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1116 Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys, just got my shipment confirmation from Amazon for my AIOS. Looking forward to playing with it in a couple days. Quick question, perhaps I should have asked before I placed my order...but will the AIOS see my Drobo on the network and stream files from it without too much trouble? I read all 10 pages of this thread, and it does appear that NAS devices are supported...but I didn't see anyone mention a Drobo specifically. Anything I need to worry about? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1116 Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The AIOS supports networked media access in three different ways:
- SMB (aka SAMBA) shares.
- NFS shares.
- UPnP.
So yes Drobo should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Hey guys, just got my shipment confirmation from Amazon for my AIOS. Looking forward to playing with it in a couple days. Quick question, perhaps I should have asked before I placed my order...but will the AIOS see my Drobo on the network and stream files from it without too much trouble? I read all 10 pages of this thread, and it does appear that NAS devices are supported...but I didn't see anyone mention a Drobo specifically. Anything I need to worry about? Thanks.

post #303 of 1116 Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

I don't see why it shouldn't but if you can post a sample and pass a link I can test it for your.

Here is a trailer that I've confirmed uses 6 channel AAC
http://www.dvdloc8.com/clip.php?movieid=13599&clipid=4
post #304 of 1116 Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The AIOS supports networked media access in three different ways:
- SMB (aka SAMBA) shares.
- NFS shares.
- UPnP.
So yes Drobo should work.

That's good to know. I guess more specifically, will the AIOS auto detect the Drobo among my various network devices and pretty much work out of the box, or will I have to work some magic to make them play nice? Thanks again.
post #305 of 1116 Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post

Here is a trailer that I've confirmed uses 6 channel AAC
http://www.dvdloc8.com/clip.php?movieid=13599&clipid=4

mp4 was streamed without a problem, audio was detected correctly, it was sent to my display (which would downmix any way), don't have it connected to an HDMI receiver so I can't comment on that part. (perhaps Audit13 would do us a favour and test it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

That's good to know. I guess more specifically, will the AIOS auto detect the Drobo among my various network devices and pretty much work out of the box, or will I have to work some magic to make them play nice? Thanks again.

Network discovery (for all three options) works out of the box with no tweaking at all (you basically just browse to the file you want and click to play it).
LL
post #306 of 1116 Old 03-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:

mp4 was streamed without a problem, audio was detected correctly, it was sent to my display (which would downmix any way), don't have it connected to an HDMI receiver so I can't comment on that part. (perhaps Audit13 would do us a favour and test it).

Network discovery (for all three options) works out of the box with no tweaking at all (you basically just browse to the file you want and click to play it).

Yeah, my concern is whether AAC gets sent to the receiver as AAC or LPCM or downmixed. The WDTV I have now streams my mp4s fine but doesn't do anything with AAC, just downmixes audio formats it senses whatever it's connected to can't do. So it ends up getting downmixed and sent to my receiver. If I have to start over with my collection so be it, lol.
post #307 of 1116 Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Does anyone know if the Pivos AIOS HD has or will have an app to view MLB.tv? Where can I find a list of all the apps available for the AIOS HD?
post #308 of 1116 Old 03-06-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLuciano View Post

Does anyone know if the Pivos AIOS HD has or will have an app to view MLB.tv? Where can I find a list of all the apps available for the AIOS HD?

It doesn't and probably will never do.

The reason is it has a built in HTML5 browser that has the same streaming capabilities as my chrome browser for HTML5 video (video element, Poster image, H.264, Ogg Theora and WebM) and HTML5 audio (audio element, PCM audio, MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis and WebM).

Any costs incurred now for licensing and certification of any extra modules (NF, Amazon VOD, Hulu, MLB.tv) must be "needlessly" passed to end customers. IMHO its money down the drain given that eventually all major service providers will need to move to a fully compatible HTML5 content delivery (instead of the incompatible flash) or given that you can currently stream these services to your AIOS via UPnP services like Playon.tv
post #309 of 1116 Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked: 11
anybody looking for a good deal on the aios, pm me. I have at least one extra I may sell once my matrix switcher gets set up as it will become superfluous..
post #310 of 1116 Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 13
I've been enjoying playing with the jukebox (great job aasoror!), and noticed differences when a file is played from the jukebox vs the file browser (FW=AIOS_AASOROR-R18_3.0.1.7).
  1. The Info display is much more primitive (shows time only).
  2. On the one .m2ts blu-ray rip I tried, chapter skipping (PREV/NEXT) and selection (GOTO) fully works when played from the file browser but does nothing when played from the jukebox. Chapters did work for an .mkv dvd rip played from the jukebox.

Also I may have run into a Thumbgen bug incorrectly parsing a filename, or I need to pick better names for folders? Here's the Input/Output naming token test output:

Test file: C:\\Downloads\\ThumbGen 1.2.9.1\\Test\\Across the Universe (2007)\\BDMV\\STREAM\\00000.m2ts

$M = C:\\Downloads\\ThumbGen 1.2.9.1\\Test\\Across the Universe (2007)\\
$P = Test $F = Across the Universe (2007)
$N = Across the Universe (2007) $E = .m2ts

$F should be "00000"
This creates a file named "Across the Universe (2007).mt2s.tgmd", when it should have been named "00000.m2ts.tgmd". This causes TViXiE2Playon!HD to skip that movie (it worked after I renamed that file).

--Dan
post #311 of 1116 Old 03-07-2012, 08:35 AM

i just bought a Buffalo Linkstation NAS and have it set up on my network housing all of my media. any reason why the AIOS won't see it?
post #312 of 1116 Old 03-07-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post

I've been enjoying playing with the jukebox (great job aasoror!), and noticed differences when a file is played from the jukebox vs the file browser (FW=AIOS_AASOROR-R18_3.0.1.7).

Yup, the differences drives from the fact that one is using the local playback vs. the IMS playback library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pargoff View Post

i just bought a Buffalo Linkstation NAS and have it set up on my network housing all of my media. any reason why the AIOS won't see it?

Nope, it should be detected without a problem. If you have a problem try creating a shortcut (from the GUI) using your NAS IP address.
post #313 of 1116 Old 03-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Yup, the differences drives from the fact that one is using the local playback vs. the IMS playback library..

Yes, I saw that on the pivosforum jukebox thread after posting here. Is IMS also used for "File Art" and "Poster View" modes in the file browser? Chapters don't work when playback is started from those modes for a BDMV structure rip. Pressing NEXT says press it again to go to the next file.

The only way I can get chapters to work on a BDMV structure rip is to navigate into the movie folder, highlight the "BDMV" folder and press PLAY.

--Dan
post #314 of 1116 Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post

Yes, I saw that on the pivosforum jukebox thread after posting here. Is IMS also used for "File Art" and "Poster View" modes in the file browser? Chapters don't work when playback is started from those modes for a BDMV structure rip. Pressing NEXT says press it again to go to the next file.

The only way I can get chapters to work on a BDMV structure rip is to navigate into the movie folder, highlight the "BDMV" folder and press PLAY.

--Dan

I don't think its related to the IMS libraries (because you can skip chapters just fine on MKVs and other single file formates in the post/cover mode), I think its related to a messed up implementation on the poster/cover mode, they are trying to figure out a single file to attach to the poster/cover (instead of just trying to play the whole folder and get it over with) while this works fine with MKVs it messes up playback with BDMV (where each chapter is a separate file).
post #315 of 1116 Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post

Would this be able to stream an mp4 w/aac audio from my media server and send the aac as lpcm over hdmi to my receiver (onkyo tx-nr709)?

Ok Flak, just got the confirmation from a helpful AIOS owner on RFD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppl4golf View Post

I tried. What am I suppose to do ?

In bitstream mode, it only did 2-channel 44kHz and receiver picked it up with Prologic II.

If I set to multichannel, it is 24/48 3/2.1

multichannel is LPCM
post #316 of 1116 Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I have a short movie, got it from the web in MOV, plays fine on the Windows PC in WMP, converted it to MP4 for the Android tablet, that file plays fine there...

But neither have sound when played from the Aios?

Al
post #317 of 1116 Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of the more offbeat audio tracks don't get sent through the digital outs unless you set it to PCM or something. I have a few videos from the web that will play fine directly from the HDMI to my TV but my stereo doesn't get any digital audio from those particular tracks but the TV gets em converted to PCM fine. Whatever is going on anyways the TV gets it and plays and the receiver doesn't.
You can try playing with how your sound gets sent out to see if a different mode like PCM vs raw works for the bad ones anyways but you'll probably have to set it back to raw when you want 5.1 sound from the normal tracks that work properly for you.
post #318 of 1116 Old 03-14-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will check that out, thanks for reminding me Dartman.

I forgot about the setting for sound in the Aios, too used to the automatic switching provided by most AVR's...

Al
post #319 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Does anyone know if this player will output 4:2:2 colorspace?
post #320 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Does anyone know if this player will output 4:2:2 colorspace?

Dear GOD man! give it up! No, it does not..
The oppo 93 is the only device that I know of that does...
post #321 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Dear GOD man! give it up! No, it does not..
The oppo 93 is the only device that I know of that does...

Ha! Never!

The Oppo was a possibility had they not killed the ISO playback.
post #322 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

$80 after $20 MIR (free wifi N adapter).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815645001
post #323 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
aasoror, I've been really tempted by this player ever since you started this thread, and of course it's price point for what you get. What's held me back is the crappy stock UI and setting up the jukebox for it. I know your semiofficial firmware improves the fugly orange stock UI to a more palatable blue UI, but are there any other user-created skins? Or, can you at least use your own JPG backdrops?

Re: the jukebox, I did ask earlier about this, but wanted to get a little more detailed. I currently use YAMJ for my PopBox v8 and PCH A-300, and I use a jailbroken AppleTV 2 with XBMC, and finally Boxee Box-es. So, what I did is use Ember to manage my movies and TV shows so I end up with the following for each movie for example: moviename.nfo, folder.jpg, moviename.jpg, fanart.jpg, and moviename.fanart.jpg. Basically, I have two identical posters and two fanarts, but with I've got, I'm covered for YAMJ, XBMC and Boxee. All 3 respect that single NFO (basically XBMC-compliant).

So, what I'm wondering is what's the easiest path to jukebox support for AIOS w/o having to do a lot of extra work. Any ideas?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #324 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Guys, will be posting my two players up for sale in the classified shortly. Looking to get $125 shipped FOR THE PAIR! Will load em up with whatever firmware you like!
post #325 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

aasoror, I've been really tempted by this player ever since you started this thread, and of course it's price point for what you get. What's held me back is the crappy stock UI and setting up the jukebox for it. I know your semiofficial firmware improves the fugly orange stock UI to a more palatable blue UI, but are there any other user-created skins? Or, can you at least use your own JPG backdrops?

Re: the jukebox, I did ask earlier about this, but wanted to get a little more detailed. I currently use YAMJ for my PopBox v8 and PCH A-300, and I use a jailbroken AppleTV 2 with XBMC, and finally Boxee Box-es. So, what I did is use Ember to manage my movies and TV shows so I end up with the following for each movie for example: moviename.nfo, folder.jpg, moviename.jpg, fanart.jpg, and moviename.fanart.jpg. Basically, I have two identical posters and two fanarts, but with I've got, I'm covered for YAMJ, XBMC and Boxee. All 3 respect that single NFO (basically XBMC-compliant).

So, what I'm wondering is what's the easiest path to jukebox support for AIOS w/o having to do a lot of extra work. Any ideas?

I use Zappiti for my Dune, but this isn't recognized by AIOS. So, I use ThumbGen, and whenever I go to my share files, I press the blue button on the remote and this is what I get:

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #326 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know your semiofficial firmware improves the fugly orange stock UI to a more palatable blue UI, but are there any other user-created skins? Or, can you at least use your own JPG backdrops?

Actually every single element in the UI is replaceable. I have moved all GUI related images from read only space to writable space, so you can easily replace whatever GUI element you like (using FTP or telent).

The thing is (apparently) no one was bothered enough with the blue steel interface to create a full skin (you can replace the home screen directly using the settings menus). (thanks AIOS owner SirReal for the bluesteel skin).

Quote:

ok, let me try to clarify that, if you are satisfied with how your movies are organized (physically) and you don't need a jukebox to organize them (group in year, genre or imdb rating), then you can just use the cover/poster view directly from the file manager (thats what GusGus748s was referring too in his post above). For this mode to work you only need a folder.jpg and poster.jpg inside each movie file (file names are hard coded so there is no way around that).

If you need to use the jukebox app to access your movies then you will need to go through the jukebox building guide (linked in the OP) the sheet names are configurable at jukebox building time so you can reuse the ones you already have where applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Guys, will be posting my two players up for sale in the classified shortly. Looking to get $125 shipped FOR THE PAIR! Will load em up with whatever firmware you like!

What are you getting instead ?
post #327 of 1116 Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
streamerlover, please PM me, I'll take one of yours if you're willing to sell them separately. Hopefully, you're in the U.S. for easy shipping.

Quote:

ok, let me try to clarify that, if you are satisfied with how your movies are organized (physically) and you don't need a jukebox to organize them (group in year, genre or imdb rating), then you can just use the cover/poster view directly from the file manager (thats what GusGus748s was referring too in his post above). For this mode to work you only need a folder.jpg and poster.jpg inside each movie file (file names are hard coded so there is no way around that).

If you need to use the jukebox app to access your movies then you will need to go through the jukebox building guide (linked in the OP) the sheet names are configurable at jukebox building time so you can reuse the ones you already have where applicable.

Think I got it, thanks. Or, may need to bug you further later .

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #328 of 1116 Old 03-16-2012, 01:05 AM

have a very nice appearance!does she can play 3d?
post #329 of 1116 Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer5 View Post

have a very nice appearance!does she can play 3d?

Have you ACTUALLY READ this thread? RIF!
post #330 of 1116 Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:

What are you getting instead ?

I am actually just going down to two systems to run off of four tvs/projectors.
I found a good HDMI matrix switch and it is working with the Dune, so I am having my son use that one for his system. The oppo stays for 3D playback in my main system and a neotv550 and dune feed the upstairs system as well as the bedroom. I just like trying out new stuff but am pretty content with the dunes. I actually just had a friend sell a couple of my Dunes on ebay for me from the extra systems. I wish I had waited until the price increase as I could have squeezed a few more $$ out of them!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page