Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1117 Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, the vast majority of the media i play is mkv with some avi. i dont have an iso rips of anything. would the AIOS be the best choice for me? any drawbacks? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1117 Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

How are posters and playlists offered using Mezzmo ?
The UPnP client on the AIOS will just traverse the UPnP folders and play its contents.
Like this:

I have tried looking online to see how posters are presented using Mezzmo and couldn't find any demo videos.

As you browse the folders, the movie poster will display when you get to the actual file. Instead of the "Movie Reel" logo, it will populate with whatever image you have assigned in Mezzmo. Same for the audio tracks.
post #393 of 1117 Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post

As you browse the folders, the movie poster will display when you get to the actual file. Instead of the "Movie Reel" logo, it will populate with whatever image you have assigned in Mezzmo. Same for the audio tracks.

If it was the file browser then movie_file_name.jpg will be picked up and replace the movie reel, not sure about UPnP though.

I think I will give the trial version a test drive and report back.
post #394 of 1117 Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If it was the file browser then movie_file_name.jpg will be picked up and replace the movie reel, not sure about UPnP though.

I think I will give the trial version a test drive and report back.

OK, playlists works fine.
Artwork wasn't sent to the AIOS (or the AIOS wasn't able to decipher it), as a workaround I tried including the poster image with the video file in the same playlist and it didn't work because apparently Mezzmo doesn't like hybrid playlists so it was sending the image as a video file (which ended up in an "unsupported video" on the AIOS) though Mezzmo sends the same file just fine from the Pictures folder.
post #395 of 1117 Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 AM

I tried out Playon on the AIOS and it works ok.
My internet speed is only 1.5 mbps so I get some video lag.
Is it possible to setup a buffer so that does not happen?
I find it really hard to navigate and Find content on HULU using playon and AIOS.
I may give Netflix a try and see how that performs. I belive Netflix buffers the streaming content?
The added cost off a Playon subscription inaddition to the Netflix subscription or other paid and or free services does not make using the AIOS an ideal option.
I would not recommend AIOS to thoes that want to stream Netflix for that reason alone.
The AIOS is great for playing Media files from my home network and Flash drives.
I installed a 3.5 inch SATA into the AIOS but was not thrilled with that option due to the Heat produced by the Drive and the poor cooling Fan in the AIOS.
The support here and on the AIOS site is a huge benefit.
A big Thank-you to Aasoror and all the others who answer questions and offer advise on how to setup and use AIOS.
post #396 of 1117 Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksar View Post

I tried out Playon on the AIOS and it works ok.

- You can play with the video quality setting on playon itself.
- I agree with you there is no options using UPnP beside drilling down, playon should work on supporting favourite lists in all of its modules.
- True again, I would only take these extras as a bonus beside the main usage as you pointed. If netflix is a primary concern I would check WDTV live streamer or even a Roku player.
- Personally the AIOS didn't bring any extra costs for me, I have been a playon subscriber for the last three years (when I had many devices that didn't support direct netflix streaming and didn't have a web broswer) its still a very convenient way to share VPN'ed contents (especially for devices that doesn't support VPN to start with) .
post #397 of 1117 Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Liked: 13
Got my rebate today (only 3 weeks!) making the total cost $48.99. I took a chance on an open box AIOS from Newegg and got lucky it came with all the accessories and original retail box with UPC intact.

For $49, I'm very happy with the AIOS. It does everything well I care about (FLAC music, DVD & BD main movie rips with chapters, all from USB drive) and I can live with a few quirks in the UI (extra buttons to push).

--Dan
post #398 of 1117 Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 AM

I may have spoken too soon about working ok with Playon.
Last night I was streaming a Movie from Amazon Vod on the Aios thru Playon. At about the 1 hour mark the AIOS went to a Black screen and then returned to the AIOS Menu screen.
Upto this point I had never attempted to watch a whole movie using Playon and the Aios.
I don't know if the problem was caused by AIOS,Amazon or Playon but its very dispointing to lose the movie feed that far into the stream.
It was getting late so I turned it off and went to bed.
in the morning I tried to play the same movie and found it was playing the ending credits.
Couldn't find anyway to rewind to the point I had lost the feed. Attempted to start the movie over but it kept going to the same spot with the ending credits.
I let the credits play out and AIOS returned to the Folder selection screen. tried to play the movie again and it went right back to the ending credits.
That sounds like a issue with Amazon Vod to me.
The initial loss last night however I belive is a AIOS or Playon issue.
Looks like Amazom Continued to stream even after my Aios went back to the main menu screen.
I belive I read that if you pause the AIOS during live streaming playon can buffer 5 min or so during the pause so you can continue when you return from your short break.
Looks like when the AIOS dumped out to the main screen on me last night the video continued to stream for thoes 5 mins.
I was able to goto Amazon Vod thru my PC and restart the movie and then advance to the 1 hour 7 min mark where I lost it last night.
I then used my AIOS to pick it back up from that point and view thru to the end.
post #399 of 1117 Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The initial loss last night however I belive is a AIOS or Playon issue.

If you want to further isolate the problem (AIOS-PlayON vs PlayON) you can just install Boxee on your PC and access Amazon VoD via PlayON there.

Quote:

I belive I read that if you pause the AIOS during live streaming playon can buffer 5 min or so during the pause so you can continue when you return from your short break.

True, its not an AIOS thing though, its a feature of PlayON.
post #400 of 1117 Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 AM

I tend to think it was an AIOS issue because the Video continued to be streamed thru to Playon based on the last viewed position of the video on Amazon.
The AIOS dumped back to the Main Menu during the stream. If Playon had quit I would have expected the AIOS to go back to the UPNP screen.
When streaming Netflix yesterday The video would freeze and then I would get a netflix Loading screen that would not progress and after a min would automatically start playing the next video in my queue. It did this three times. On the fourth attempt to play the video I used the Pause button for about 3 mins to allow playon to buffer the stream and then had no further issue.
On some Netflix titles when streaming I was getting video player control functions on screen but could not use the AIOS remote to select the on screen full screen mode to get out of that mode. Have you ever seen this befor?

Quote:

If you want to further isolate the problem (AIOS-PlayON vs PlayON) you can just install Boxee on your PC and access Amazon VoD via PlayON there.

post #401 of 1117 Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The AIOS dumped back to the Main Menu during the stream. If Playon had quit I would have expected the AIOS to go back to the UPNP screen.

Nice catch.

Quote:

When streaming Netflix yesterday The video would freeze and then I would get a netflix Loading screen that would not progress and after a min would automatically start playing the next video in my queue. It did this three times. On the fourth attempt to play the video I used the Pause button for about 3 mins to allow playon to buffer the stream and then had no further issue.

Though I haven't experienced this on the AIOS (yet), but my PBO has the same issue with playon, apparently if playon runs out of buffer the player will think the file has ended and move to the next one in the list.

Quote:

On some Netflix titles when streaming I was getting video player control functions on screen but could not use the AIOS remote to select the on screen full screen mode to get out of that mode. Have you ever seen this befor?

You mean the NF web player controls ? thats sometimes happens on playon but the playon typically would revert that and stream in full screen.
post #402 of 1117 Old 04-01-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:

You mean the NF web player controls ? thats sometimes happens on playon but the playon typically would revert that and stream in full screen.

I can't find any option in netflix or Playon to force it to go full screen instead of showing the netflix Web Player controls.
looked thru Playon support fourms and It looks like others are having this issue intermittently with other Platforms and netflix also.
post #403 of 1117 Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't find any option in netflix or Playon to force it to go full screen instead of showing the netflix Web Player controls.
looked thru Playon support fourms and It looks like others are having this issue intermittently with other Platforms and netflix also.

I don't think there is such option, playon does it automatically.
post #404 of 1117 Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:

I don't think there is such option, playon does it automatically.

You right,
Playon software is suppose to automatically send the full screen video from netflix but they are sending video with the web player controls instead on some titles.
I was notified that Playon support has confirmed this issue and are working on a solution.
post #405 of 1117 Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM

i have a ps3, and i was used to using ps3mediaserver, a little java based app allow me to stream movies from my laptop to my ps3, output to my lcd.

anyone know if i can fire out files on my laptop to this aios pivos, and it will output to my tv, using what app, microsoft mediaplayer?

i'd rather not have to use the tv and remote of the aios pivos to navigate through files.
post #406 of 1117 Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM

Somewhat off topic.....but, I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about new products from Pivos? The reason I ask is that I am considering buying a second and may hold off if a new product is coming down the pike. Thanks in advance
post #407 of 1117 Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wekurtz74 View Post

Somewhat off topic.....but, I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about new products from Pivos? The reason I ask is that I am considering buying a second and may hold off if a new product is coming down the pike. Thanks in advance

I haven't heard anything. May be Aasoror has any information on this?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #408 of 1117 Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM

Just downloaded something from ITrax. First download from them. WAV DTS files and before each and every track, I get a "pop" followed by a short "hiss" and then the track starts already one to two seconds in. Very annoying. None of my other audio files have done this. I also have some other WAV DTS files and no issue like this.

McHoop
post #409 of 1117 Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
aasoror, will you be porting Xtreamer's latest 3.5 firmware to AIOS? Their 3.5 firmware looks pretty slick.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #410 of 1117 Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

aasoror, will you be porting Xtreamer's latest 3.5 firmware to AIOS? Their 3.5 firmware looks pretty slick.

That would be awesome, but I think he said that he wasn't supporting the XtrAIOS FW anymore

Home Theater Set Up:

post #411 of 1117 Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You would also be going from the 1186 chipset to the 1185 which my guess would be it wouldn't work well without considerable changes.

It does look slick, I'm kind of interested to see the feedback on it after a few people have used it if it's buggy.
post #412 of 1117 Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

You would also be going from the 1186 chipset to the 1185 which my guess would be it wouldn't work well without considerable changes.

It does look slick, I'm kind of interested to see the feedback on it after a few people have used it if it's buggy.

I've used the other XtrAIOS 3.0.7, which I really liked, but I wanted to get a better jukebox, and I ended up using the AIOS Unofficial FW, which worked ok until the last FW.

I'm thinking of going back to XtrAIOS 3.0.12. It was updated on 4.4.12. I'm not using a jukebox for the AIOS anymore, and it is a lot easier to find your share with the XtrAIOS than the Pivos Unofficial FW.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #413 of 1117 Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM

I thought aasoror said it was the last at 3.0.7? Didn't know he did it for the 3.0.12 as well, lol. Looks like they helped him out with his decision by dropping the 1185 player as I'm sure they won't be updating that firmware anymore.

I'm seriously considering giving an Xtreamer player a try after I hear more about this update. I just have to go in with the mindset that if it doesn't do what I want when I get it don't count on it ever doing it, if I need help with it don't look anywhere else but in this forum, and if it breaks throw it in the trash.
post #414 of 1117 Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Does the AIOS player have some sort of built-in media scraper, displaying moviesheets, synopsis, etc, for your local movie files?
post #415 of 1117 Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post

Does the AIOS player have some sort of built-in media scraper, displaying moviesheets, synopsis, etc, for your local movie files?

No, it doesn't. The only player that has a built in movie jukebox / scrapper is PCH-A300, which isn't very good.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #416 of 1117 Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

The A-300's internal scraper isn't bad, especially if you already have posters and fanart in your movie folders. Also, you can use NMJToolBox2 on your PC to edit the NMJ database directly and correct any metadata or poster/fanart issues. I've been using NMJ v2 on my A-300 for a couple weeks now and getting warmed up to it. Eversion/YAMJ remains quite a bit better and polished though.

The Xtreamer Prodigy now also has an internal scraper with their latest v3.5 firmware, but I'm reading on their forums that there are quite a few bugs (like jukebox being completely wiped out after a reboot).

post #417 of 1117 Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The A-300's internal scraper isn't bad, especially if you already have posters and fanart in your movie folders. Also, you can use NMJToolBox2 on your PC to edit the NMJ database directly and correct any metadata or poster/fanart issues. I've been using NMJ v2 on my A-300 for a couple weeks now and getting warmed up to it. Eversion/YAMJ remains quite a bit better and polished though.

The Xtreamer Prodigy now also has an internal scraper with their latest v3.5 firmware, but I'm reading on their forums that there are quite a few bugs (like jukebox being completely wiped out after a reboot).

I'm sure the internal jukebox for the A300 will get better with time, but that's only if PCH puts some work into it.

I am waiting for the A300 to get better, and I'll probably buy it again. I had to return it since my wife and family had a hard time using it. It is very simple for them to use the Dune D1 + Zappiti. I really like how simple and easy it is to use Zappiti.

I wish YAMJ / Eversion was as easy as Zappiti

Home Theater Set Up:

post #418 of 1117 Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I almost bought the Dune to try out before the price increase, but now can't justify it. For me, PCH works fine and Eversion/YAMJ, while taking some work to set-up, is beautiful. If you use Ember or similar to make sure you have the necessary nfo/poster/fanart files in your movie folders, and those with season posters/banners/fanart in your TV shows folders, Eversion/YAMJ will pick them up just fine. I also force local scraping only, which helps with identification as I intend it. If you end up getting an A-300, PM me, and I'll give you some pointers so Eversion/YAMJ works as you need it to.

post #419 of 1117 Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:

They came out with RC2 yesterday that apparently addressed the wipe out of the jukebox. With that said I think it's a good idea to give it some time to be ironed out, or not ironed out however the case may be.
post #420 of 1117 Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I almost bought the Dune to try out before the price increase, but now can't justify it. For me, PCH works fine and Eversion/YAMJ, while taking some work to set-up, is beautiful. If you use Ember or similar to make sure you have the necessary nfo/poster/fanart files in your movie folders, and those with season posters/banners/fanart in your TV shows folders, Eversion/YAMJ will pick them up just fine. I also force local scraping only, which helps with identification as I intend it. If you end up getting an A-300, PM me, and I'll give you some pointers so Eversion/YAMJ works as you need it to.

I wish I could order one right now, but they are always out of stock, and I need a couple more hdd for my server.

I almost bought a A-210 on ebay, but I got outbid when I was at work It sold for $152.50 + $15 shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

They came out with RC2 yesterday that apparently addressed the wipe out of the jukebox. With that said I think it's a good idea to give it some time to be ironed out, or not ironed out however the case may be.

The Xtremer needs lots and lots...and pretty much infinite time to iron itself out. The only way I'd own a Xtremer is if I get it for free. Their history is terrible.

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page