post #991 of 1117 Old 05-17-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaido View Post

Hi all, I was reading the posts about this device and although it has some flaws I think it has what I need and want, but I have a question and I hope someone can answer:

The subtitles have some kind of outline so they will not blend with the same background color ... oh and is it posible to change the subtitle color?

You can change subs color, size, location on screen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1117 Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

easiest way to create a user/pass on your windows account and set sharing to t hat user/pass then use the same login credentials to access your shares from the AIOS (File Browser -> Network -> Workgroup -> PC)

for wifi, try dropping all security and see if it connects, then add security one layer at a time.

Thanks. I finally got it to recognize my wifi network. Not really sure why it didn't before.

I still can't get it to see any shared folders. I created a new windows account with a username and password of "pivos". I assigned a folder within the "My Videos" folder in windows to share with the "pivos" account. Then in the Pivos GUI, I go to File Manager -> Network -> My Shortcuts. There, I hit the red button to create a "shortcut folder" and I use the Net User ID of "pivos" and the Net Password of "pivos". I do not enter a Specific File Server IP. Should I? if so, what should it be?
Then I go into the shortcut folder called ":pivos" and it prompts me for a Net User ID and Net Password. I've tried using "pivos" for the ID and password, leaving them both blank, just using an ID with no password, and nothing works. Each time it says Logon Fail. I've gotta be missing something, right?
post #993 of 1117 Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezagenius View Post

Thanks. I finally got it to recognize my wifi network. Not really sure why it didn't before.

I still can't get it to see any shared folders. I created a new windows account with a username and password of "pivos". I assigned a folder within the "My Videos" folder in windows to share with the "pivos" account. Then in the Pivos GUI, I go to File Manager -> Network -> My Shortcuts. There, I hit the red button to create a "shortcut folder" and I use the Net User ID of "pivos" and the Net Password of "pivos". I do not enter a Specific File Server IP. Should I? if so, what should it be?
Then I go into the shortcut folder called ":pivos" and it prompts me for a Net User ID and Net Password. I've tried using "pivos" for the ID and password, leaving them both blank, just using an ID with no password, and nothing works. Each time it says Logon Fail. I've gotta be missing something, right?

You will need to create a password on your windows machine (windows doesn't allow accounts with blank passwords to do remote logins by default, unless you modify the registry to change that).
When you do the shortcut you will need the IP address of you windows PC.
so your windows account username/password and machine IP address and you should be good to go.
post #994 of 1117 Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

You will need to create a password on your windows machine (windows doesn't allow accounts with blank passwords to do remote logins by default, unless you modify the registry to change that).
so your windows account username/password and machine IP address and you should be good to go.

My windows account has both username and password of "pivos" and I used that when I created the Shortcut folder.

I looked up my IP address by doing this: pull up DOS window, type cmd, then ipconfig, then looking up the IPv4 address. I entered that into the Shortcut folder setup as well.

Now the shortcut folder is "192.168.0.21:pivos". When I open this folder, I get the prompt to enter the Net User ID and Net Password. I enter "pivos" for both the user ID and the password (since that is how I set it up on my computer) and I still get a Logon Fail. Grrr.

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it. This seems like it should be so easy...

Is that the right way to get the IP address? That's the only thing I can think of that is messing things up, unless there is some settings on my computer that need to be changed.

Maybe it is that the windows account username and password are the same? Could that be messing it up?

I'm using Windows 7 if that matters.
post #995 of 1117 Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

What if your IP address of your PC is dynamically allocated? Every time you boot up the PC, the IP address may be different.
post #996 of 1117 Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm using Windows 7 if that matters.
If you haven't already try rebooting your PC and router.
Also make sure that the files inside the shares folders are shared to your pivos/pivos account as well (sometimes one might miss checking the "share all files and subfolders").
And it would be better to check your router for the IP address assigned to your PC (just in case your routers reassigns that after DHCP lease expires).

Also might want to try this utility http://www.jankamp.com/2010/11/windows-share-manager/ lots of success reports using it.
post #997 of 1117 Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I stand corrected, have you tried the playlist with your favourite channel stream addresses ?
No worries. I just save my favourite stations as a pls on a flash key. Works perfectly on my Patriot PBO Core and Aios.
post #998 of 1117 Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:

If you haven't already try rebooting your PC and router.
Also make sure that the files inside the shares folders are shared to your pivos/pivos account as well (sometimes one might miss checking the "share all files and subfolders").
And it would be better to check your router for the IP address assigned to your PC (just in case your routers reassigns that after DHCP lease expires).

Also might want to try this utility http://www.jankamp.com/2010/11/windows-share-manager/ lots of success reports using it.

Got it. Thanks. I'll give this a try tonight.

I did already assign all the files to be shared to the "pivos" username so that shouldn't be a problem. I think my issue is upstream of that since I can't get the AIOS to correctly log in.
post #999 of 1117 Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 PM

Uggh! I tried all of that and it still doesn't work.

I just want to make sure I'm setting everything up on the Pivos correctly.

I go to File Manager -> Network -> My Shortcuts
Create a new folder by entering the Net User ID ("pivos") and Net Password ("pivos") corresponding to the Windows account on my computer that I created. I also enter the IP address of the router (here I am using the Default Gateway address 192.168.0.1). I've also tried using the Beginning DHCP address from my modem/router setup (192.168.0.2). Not sure of any other IP address to try or where to get it. There is also an Ending DHCP address (192.168.0.254).
This creates a folder called "192.168.0.1:pivos"
I click on this folder and I get a prompt to enter my Net User ID and Net Password
I enter "pivos" for the ID and "pivos" for the password (same as when I created the shortcut folder)
I get a Logon Fail message

Why do I need to enter the ID and password again when I open the shortcut folder? I already entered it when I created the folder.

Does it matter if the modem/router is not hardwired to the computer that has the files I am trying to access? The computer is wirelessly connected to the network. Will that affect which IP address I use?
post #1000 of 1117 Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 PM

Good news, mostly. I finally got it to recognize my files. I changed the setting to look for the 40 and 56 bit encryption. I also rejiggered my firewall settings again. Whatever I did worked. The AIOS picked up the Workgroup folder and I could go in there and find my files.

Bad news is that the playback is horrendous! I coonected a range extender to the AIOS and that didn't make a difference. I think it displayed a network speed of about 5000 (I'm assuming kBps). Not sure if that is fast or not. Probably not. The file I was trying to play was a 2 hour 8GB mkv file. What sort of network speed do I need to safely play a file like that? That file plays fine through the USB 2.0 jack. I can't get the USB 3.0 connection to work. I think it is the adapter I am using. I am getting a replacement to try.

I'm converting a copy of the file to avi format to see if the playback is any better.
post #1001 of 1117 Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good news, mostly. I finally got it to recognize my files. I changed the setting to look for the 40 and 56 bit encryption. I also rejiggered my firewall settings again. Whatever I did worked. The AIOS picked up the Workgroup folder and I could go in there and find my files.

Bad news is that the playback is horrendous! I coonected a range extender to the AIOS and that didn't make a difference. I think it displayed a network speed of about 5000 (I'm assuming kBps). Not sure if that is fast or not. Probably not. The file I was trying to play was a 2 hour 8GB mkv file. What sort of network speed do I need to safely play a file like that? That file plays fine through the USB 2.0 jack. I can't get the USB 3.0 connection to work. I think it is the adapter I am using. I am getting a replacement to try.

I'm converting a copy of the file to avi format to see if the playback is any better.

wifi is always YMMV for video streaming.
It highly depends on how the network is setup (how busy is your wireless channel, the presence of interference devices .. etc).
On a sunny day I guess you can do 4.3GB 720p rips (though few people reported success at higher data rates).
The general guidelines are the following:
- make sure your wifi channel is below 11.
- use an extension cable to bring the wifi adapter more inline with your router (away from the back of the TV and out of your entertainment cabinet).
- drop wifi on the AIOS altogether and use a wire to a wifi AP (or cheap router that can run in AP mode: DDWRT flashable)
post #1002 of 1117 Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Are there any USB 3.0 compatibility issues with the AIOS? I have a WD 3TB USB 3.0 external drive and I can't get it to be recognized when connected to the 3.0 jack. It works fine when connected to the 2.0 jack. I am using a Monoprice adapter to connect my 3.0 cable to the AIOS. I've tried 2 adapters so I don't think it is a faulty adapter. The cable works since I can connect it directly to my desktop and I can transfer at 3.0 speeds. The only thing left is something with the AIOS. Is there anything special that needs to be done setup-wise on the AIOS or should it be able to recognize any hard drive?
post #1003 of 1117 Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are there any USB 3.0 compatibility issues with the AIOS? I have a WD 3TB USB 3.0 external drive and I can't get it to be recognized when connected to the 3.0 jack. It works fine when connected to the 2.0 jack. I am using a Monoprice adapter to connect my 3.0 cable to the AIOS. I've tried 2 adapters so I don't think it is a faulty adapter. The cable works since I can connect it directly to my desktop and I can transfer at 3.0 speeds. The only thing left is something with the AIOS. Is there anything special that needs to be done setup-wise on the AIOS or should it be able to recognize any hard drive?

The USB 3.0 is a data port, upstream only, meant to connect the AIOS as an external enclosure to PCs not to connect other USB peripherals.
post #1004 of 1117 Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM

When I try to play a 2 hr 40GB movie through the 2.0 jack, there is significant stuttering. What would be the best way to play this movie?

I was hoping to connect the AIOS to an enclosure with a bay of hard drives but that doesn't seem possible. Or is it? My hope was to have the AIOS and the hard drives by the TV and not involve a computer other than for network access.
post #1005 of 1117 Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I try to play a 2 hr 40GB movie through the 2.0 jack, there is significant stuttering. What would be the best way to play this movie?

I was hoping to connect the AIOS to an enclosure with a bay of hard drives but that doesn't seem possible. Or is it? My hope was to have the AIOS and the hard drives by the TV and not involve a computer other than for network access.
Why not install one of the HDDs internally and hot-swap the remaining HDDs as needed?
post #1006 of 1117 Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Sounds like that is the route I need to go.

Any recommendations on a good hard drive to use or ones to stay away from? I would prefer a 3TB or 4TB drive.
post #1007 of 1117 Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like that is the route I need to go.

Any recommendations on a good hard drive to use or ones to stay away from? I would prefer a 3TB or 4TB drive.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23076151
post #1008 of 1117 Old 05-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had problems playing wav or flac files AFTER having played flash video files? My experience has been the absence of audio while the time for the music ticks down on the gui.
post #1009 of 1117 Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you are on Semiofficial builds, time to update and get YT working.

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434&p=32863#p32863
post #1010 of 1117 Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

I've been using a 2 TB internal HDD in my AIOS for over a year; yesterday, the AIOS stopped reading the HDD. I removed the HDD and installed it into a spare docking station that I had, and connected it to the AIOS via USB 2.0. The AIOS was able to read the HDD, so the fault apparently is in the AIOS. Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #1011 of 1117 Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

I've been using a 2 TB internal HDD in my AIOS for over a year; yesterday, the AIOS stopped reading the HDD. I removed the HDD and installed it into a spare docking station that I had, and connected it to the AIOS via USB 2.0. The AIOS was able to read the HDD, so the fault apparently is in the AIOS. Any ideas would be appreciated.

mmm ... have you tried reseating the HDD ? did you check the L SATA connector to make sure it didn't dislodge from the main board or anything similar ?
post #1012 of 1117 Old 06-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I tried reseating many times. I even tried another HDD. No, I didn't fool around internally with the AIOS SATA wire connection due to fear and cowardice.

What is the warranty period on this puppy?

Thanks,

Jim
post #1013 of 1117 Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I tried reseating many times. I even tried another HDD. No, I didn't fool around internally with the AIOS SATA wire connection due to fear and cowardice.

What is the warranty period on this puppy?

Thanks,

Jim

12 months ..
post #1014 of 1117 Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aasoror,

If I have to deal with this formerly internal HDD now as an external HDD in a docking station, I'll have to write directly to it with my PC. I know that on another AIOS forum (with another OP) that you strongly argued against doing this (please elaborate). What other options would I have?

Regards,

Jim
post #1015 of 1117 Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aasoror,

If I have to deal with this formerly internal HDD now as an external HDD in a docking station, I'll have to write directly to it with my PC. I know that on another AIOS forum (with another OP) that you strongly argued against doing this (please elaborate). What other options would I have?

Regards,

Jim

Let me elaborate, as long as you are using the docking station between both your windows PC and the AIOS you should be fine.
What I was arguing against was to internally install the HDD in your windows PC, write data to it there, then remove it from the PC and internally install it in the AIOS.
Windows treats internal (fixed) storage differently than it treats removable storage (connected via a docking station).
JimLely likes this.
post #1016 of 1117 Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the prompt response.

I wrote to Pivos describing my problem but as yet have not heard from them.
post #1017 of 1117 Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the prompt response.

I wrote to Pivos describing my problem but as yet have not heard from them.

Are you still within the warranty period ? you should have no problem RMA'ing it.
post #1018 of 1117 Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you still within the warranty period ? you should have no problem RMA'ing it.

I got the RMA yesterday and UPS'd the Aios to Pivos today. Thanks for all your help.
post #1019 of 1117 Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got the RMA yesterday and UPS'd the Aios to Pivos today. Thanks for all your help.

For those who didn't know, you could also get "advance replacement" by submitting a credit card so they can put a nominal charge on hold till the defective unit is received (so replacement unit is sent as soon as the RMA is issued).
JimLely likes this.
post #1020 of 1117 Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For those who didn't know, you could also get "advance replacement" by submitting a credit card so they can put a nominal charge on hold till the defective unit is received (so replacement unit is sent as soon as the RMA is issued).

I sent them an email on Friday with the tracking number, and I expressed a willingness to "put up" my credit card, but no response as yet. Do you have a phone number where they could be reached?

Jim.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page