AVS Forum banner

Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread

178K views 1K replies 131 participants last post by  Akane47 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am going to maintain this thread for the current,new and potential AIOS owners, I am aasoror from Canadian RFD, Patriot PBO forums, PBO wiki, Pivos forums and AIOS wiki.

I know there is already an existing thread for the AIOS, but it was more of a question thread than a product discussion (not to mention that I needed access to the OP to be able to maintain the thread properly).

So here we go,

If people feel happy paying $80 for WDTV Live+, just check what you are missing here: BR ISO support with MENUs (non Java menus only), web browser support HTML5, HD-Audio downmix and pass-through, internal 3.5" HDD support, Gigabit, LCD screen, USB 3.0

Product Features

The AIOS HD Media Center is a robust networked media center supports Full-1080p HD media playback featuring a superior multi-format video and audio codec including AVI, MKV, TS, TP, MOV, AVI, MPEG, WMV, RMVB, FLV, XVID, DIVX, and most popular formats.

With a full range of video & audio outputs, the AIOS HD Media Center can connect to your TV or your receivers to enjoy crisp 1080p videos and surreal surround sound supporting DTS Digital Surround 5.1, Dolby?Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby?Digital plus 7.1, Dolby? TrueHD 7.1, AAC 7.1.

Support upto 4TB internal HDD with hot-plug drive system, built in SDHC/ MMC/MS Pro flash card reader and the latest USB 3.0 controller, the AIOS HD Media Center supports content playback from network storage, attached USB storage, flash storage, digital cameras, digital camcorder and etc.

Intuitive user interface allows user check hardware status such as network connectivity, wifi signal, hard drive capacity and other functions. Newly introduced file browser supports functions such as movie wall, video thumbnails, photo slides, music players, and various customized playlist and photo album functions.

Based on latest Gigabit network technology and optional 802.11n, AIOS HD Media Center can let you easily access the premium functions such as PC-Less P2P downloads, your favorite apps such as Google Talk messenger, Youtube, Picasa, Flickr, Shoutcast, Video Pod Cast, and hundreds of internet video & audio contents. The best yet, we¡¯ve throw in the latest HTML5 web browser into the mix which can allow you surf the web at your heart¡¯s content.

Technical Details

Gigabit Network Ready

DTS, Dolby True HD, 5.1/ 7.1 surround

SATA HDD ready, Optional 802.11n wifi

Built in HTML 5 Web Broswer

The following N-adapters are compatible with the AIOS:

- PTGNANUSB Pivos

- AWLL6075 Airlink101

- AWLL5077 Airlink101

- Patriot PCBOWAU2-N

- DLINK DWA-130 HW version E1

- DLINK DWA-131

- Rokland's

- Zonet ZEW2546

- dealextreme branded (2R1T)

- dealextreme branded (1R1T)

- monoprice branded

- meritline branded

- TEW-648UB (Rev 1.0)

- TEW-649UB (Rev 1.0)

- Asus USB-N10

- Belkin F5D8053 (v. 5000/6000)

The following wireless Realtek chipsets are compatible with the AIOS (11N8709, RTL8187 and RTL8191SU)

See less See more
#828 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajinder  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22844599

Hello,

I just got this unit today and it is similar to Egreat R200S. Both units have the same problems : 1) Regular Youtube does not work "Cannot play this file". 2) No menu for BD-ISO.

Can someone help me on this? How to get "simple menu" for BD-ISO in the settings? There is no option like that. Also, how to fix regular youtube? Only Youtube XL works.

Regards,

Sajinder

There is no fix for YT-SD, Google has changed the whole YT API.

For BR-ISO if the the disc is JAVA based then you can only play the longest track.

#829 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know whether Pivos will continue to support and enhance the AIOS now that the XIOS is released? Do they plan for both products to co-exist?

I really like the design of the AIOS and am considering buying one. I'm primarily looking for a media player that would be able to stream all my videos/movies and photos on my NAS, plus be able to access a large variety of Internet media sources. I don't need it to play actual disks as I have a very good BlueRay, DVD, CD player.

I am also not trying to do this on the cheap. The approx. $90 AIOS price is nice, but if there are units out there that are better and do what this does and is even a couple hundred, that would be ok too.

I also like the AIOS optical digital output for my home theater A/V receiver. The XIOS lacks that connection.

I'm just wondering what is Pivos' long term plans for the AIOS.

thanks,

Steve

#830 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22929733

Hi,

Does anyone know whether Pivos will continue to support and enhance the AIOS now that the XIOS is released?
Note that the AIOS is about a year older than the XIOS. Yhe AIOS got 6 official firmware updates and 21 semiofficial firmware updates between September 2011 and September 2012.
Quote:
Do they plan for both products to co-exist?
yup, they are two different products answering to different questions.
Quote:
I really like the design of the AIOS and am considering buying one. I'm primarily looking for a media player that would be able to stream all my videos/movies and photos on my NAS,
The AIOS should fit the bill nicely
Quote:
plus be able to access a large variety of Internet media sources. I don't need it to play actual disks as I have a very good BlueRay, DVD, CD player.
well, beside the Asian streams and the non-guaranteed EU streams from the semiofficial firmware, AIOS is limited in that department (YT will work fine, as well as most podcasting portals).
Quote:
I am also not trying to do this on the cheap. The approx. $90 AIOS price is nice, but if there are units out there that are better and do what this does and is even a couple hundred, that would be ok too.
If you are willing to go $200 I would just build a net-top, it will be better than any thing in the market.
Quote:
I'm just wondering what is Pivos' long term plans for the AIOS.
There is not much to add to the current state of the AIOS (except for some visual elements and convenience non-core related features), there was a full disclosure of what to expect and current state of AIOS firmware development on the AIOS forums, please check here: http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1783#p14595

#831 ·
Aasoror, I am using PiVOS for a month now. I previously had PBO, was very happy with it. Some details on my setup..

I have latest semi-official FW on it.

A 1.5tb Seagate GoFlex portable is connected into PiVOS, PiVOS HDMI out to Receiver IN.

Ethernet IN is connected, but I don't use any webfeeds or YT.

Some issues I have are listed below.... Would appreciate any suggestions to fix..

1- Mostly on mp3/FLAC.. audio drops for 2 secs every 10 mins or so. This only happens on PiVOS, not from any other items (BD player, Revue, PS3 etc) connected to AVR. How do I fix that?

2- Takes long time to boot, and then to have USB symbol light up on screen. Performance is laggy when browsing through folders (compared to PBO for me) Is 1.5 tb size too big for it? Please don't suggest to insert 3.5" drive into PiVOS, as I don't want to spend on extra HD.

3- Using INFO button while playing mp3 files, it does not show bitrate, sampling freq etc.. that was available on PBO..

4- Remote is very unresponsive. takes time for PiVOS to react, remote does not work or works sometimes from more than 8 ft.

#832 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22931439

Aasoror, I am using PiVOS for a month now. I previously had PBO, was very happy with it. Some details on my setup..

A 1.5tb Seagate GoFlex portable is connected into PiVOS, PiVOS HDMI out to Receiver IN.

Some issues I have are listed below.... Would appreciate any suggestions to fix..

1- Mostly on mp3/FLAC.. audio drops for 2 secs every 10 mins or so. This only happens on PiVOS, not from any other items (BD player, Revue, PS3 etc) connected to AVR. How do I fix that?

2- Takes long time to boot, and then to have USB symbol light up on screen. Performance is laggy when browsing through folders (compared to PBO for me) Is 1.5 tb size too big for it? Please don't suggest to insert 3.5" drive into PiVOS, as I don't want to spend on extra HD.

3- Using INFO button while playing mp3 files, it does not show bitrate, sampling freq etc.. that was available on PBO..

4- Remote is very unresponsive. takes time for PiVOS to react, remote does not work or works sometimes from more than 8 ft.
Hey don't mean to jack ur thread but I am having similar issues too. With the first few iso's I had on my 1tb external I never had the audio problems. Now when I play a movie the audio drops out from time to time. The video has always had a glitch like a smudge on a disk may do jumping from one part of the movie to the next. I am also going through an av receiver.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#833 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22931439

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongatta  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22939350

Hey don't mean to jack ur thread but I am having similar issues too. With the first few iso's I had on my 1tb external I never had the audio problems. Now when I play a movie the audio drops out from time to time. The video has always had a glitch like a smudge on a disk may do jumping from one part of the movie to the next. I am also going through an av receiver.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

What firmware are you using? I'm using the latest semi and have no drop out problems with music or m2ts files.

#834 ·
I'm using my AIOS with my Synology DS411+ NAS. Works fine. If you want to play your ISOs, access photos and music it works great. There are issues with handling music playlists, however. I've contacted Pivos support about them. They tell me it's an issue with Realtek that can't be fixed I guess. That's too bad as it makes the device less useful to me. But for the other functions (particularly video, I've been impressed. I love the fact I can play my MTS files from my Sony Camcorder directly via the AIOS. The BR ISO playback is perfect. Highly recommend you have GB ethernet to the device and your NAS.

#835 ·
Aasoror,

I have two questions.

First, one of my two Synology servers does not work seamlessly with the Pivos Aios. Every time I access it, I have to put in a user name and password.

The Synology is set to "admin" with no password. Is there a way to bypass this?

Second, is there some method to clear out the recycle bin in the unit and have the unit recognize that more storage is available? The disc is fairly full, and even though it says I have about 35gb still available per Windows and the information display on the unit, I am unable to transfer any new files. The disc reports no storage space available.

Thanks!

#836 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22984380

First, one of my two Synology servers does not work seamlessly with the Pivos Aios. Every time I access it, I have to put in a user name and password.

The Synology is set to "admin" with no password. Is there a way to bypass this?
You can try setting up a guest account with read/write privileges. I don't own the Pivos but this is how I solved the same issue with another device a while back with my Synology. No password on the account.

#837 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22984380

Aasoror,

I have two questions.

Have you tried creating a shortcut for the server (this gives you the option to save login credentials). Go FileManager -> Network -> My Shortcuts -> press one of the colored buttons (red?) and follow the prompts.
Quote:
Second, is there some method to clear out the recycle bin in the unit and have the unit recognize that more storage is available? The disc is fairly full, and even though it says I have about 35gb still available per Windows and the information display on the unit, I am unable to transfer any new files. The disc reports no storage space available.
The AIOS is linux based, so there is no recycle bin there, if you occasionally connect it to your windows PC this will gets a recycle bin folder created.

That said you should be able to access it from the AIOS file manager and just delete that folder.

#838 ·
It's great to see there is support for this device.

I've owned the HiMedia HD600A (Realtek 1185) for quite some time and have been pretty happy with it. I'm also not impressed with the RTD1186 issues I've read about.

edit: Trivial questions answered from scanning AIOS manual.

If no HDD is installed, is the fan necessary?

Years ago had the Playon!HD and the fan was loud, as long as no HDD was in the device, the fan could be unplugged with no heat issues.

#839 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22998110

It's great to see there is support for this device.

I've owned the HiMedia HD600A (Realtek 1185) for quite some time and have been pretty happy with it. I'm also not impressed with the RTD1186 issues I've read about.

edit: Trivial questions answered from scanning AIOS manual.

If no HDD is installed, is the fan necessary?

Years ago had the Playon!HD and the fan was loud, as long as no HDD was in the device, the fan could be unplugged with no heat issues.

Not enough information to give a statistically sound deduction whether the fan is important if there is no HDD in there.

Any way, once your unit is fried be sure to plug the fan back before sending it back to Pivos

#840 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/810#post_22999061

Not enough information to give a statistically sound deduction whether the fan is important if there is no HDD in there.

Any way, once your unit is fried be sure to plug the fan back before sending it back to Pivos

lol, no worries.

I've been reading up on the Aios forums, and your work and contribution is outstanding, to the point it seems you're the loan ranger in the project.

Another observation, the negative reviews from amazon and newegg seem to be related to the official firmware. Your R21 with ext3 + Swap has been well receive.

One person got it right about the hardware:
Quote:
Very good scaler/de-interlacer outputs clean 1080p. No, EXCELLENT scaler. Beats the pants off the scaler in a $2000 TV]
Ok a little exaggerated but just sayin

Realtek is missing out with lack of support.

Will order soon.

#842 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/840#post_23041114

Interested in this media player. Quick questions? Does it support TrueHD and DTS HD MA? Does it play dvd iso, mkv, etc.. Does it play bluray iso, mkv, m2ts, etc..?

I basically just need a media player to play my dvd and bluray rips off a external usb3 hdd or over serviio.

thanks.

It cannot play BD ISOs that have java menus.

#845 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/840#post_23041114

Interested in this media player. Quick questions? Does it support TrueHD and DTS HD MA? Does it play dvd iso, mkv, etc.. Does it play bluray iso, mkv, m2ts, etc..?

I basically just need a media player to play my dvd and bluray rips off a external usb3 hdd or over serviio.

thanks.

Answer is yes for all your questions with the following notes:

- BR ISO with Java menus only the longest track gets played (chapter marks within that track runs fine).

- ISO (DVD/BR) needs to decrypted and region unlocked while ripping (I use AnyDVDHD for that).

#846 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/840#post_23041817

Answer is yes for all your questions with the following notes:

- BR ISO with Java menus only the longest track gets played (chapter marks within that track runs fine).

- ISO (DVD/BR) needs to decrypted and region unlocked while ripping (I use AnyDVDHD for that).

If you have a BD with Java menus that has a TV series, this could be problematic. A way around this is to create a separate iso for each episode within the series.

#847 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/840#post_23043425

If you have a BD with Java menus that has a TV series, this could be problematic. A way around this is to create a separate iso for each episode within the series.
True, but you don't have to "create" new ISOs, if you are going to unpack the ISO just use the AIOS to navigate the unpacked contents and manually select the tracks you want.

#850 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/840#post_23044423

I use DVD fab for my blus and DVDs. I use main movie because I don't need any extras or menus. I currently run my wd usb3 external to my Sony bdps580. I can play m2ts with my hdd but not mkv. Funny can play mkv DVD but not mkv bluray. Can't play anything over cat5e. Maybe too much bandwidth.
Bandwidth shouldn't be an issue, BR video+audio nominal rate is 48 mbps (and thats as much as it can get), this is just 6 MB/s. You should be able to sustain this rate on a 10/100 LAN (not to mention Gbit). If you have issues I would say that network wouldn't be the bottleneck.

Specs on your Sony BR-Player says "MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA" so in theory your HD MKV rips should run fine.

Nonetheless, feel free to post a sample of your problematic rips and I can double check to see how they run on the AIOS.

#851 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/840#post_23043638

True, but you don't have to "create" new ISOs, if you are going to unpack the ISO just use the AIOS to navigate the unpacked contents and manually select the tracks you want.

Yes, I have been able to do what you suggest in some series such as "Homeland" but not in some others such as "Sons of Anarchy" where only the longest episode was retained.

#852 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/840#post_23044828

Yes, I have been able to do what you suggest in some series such as "Homeland" but not in some others such as "Sons of Anarchy" where only the longest episode was retained.
When you unpack the ISO you will end up with a BDMV folder, from that structure you can just select and play the m2ts track you want.