AVS Forum banner

Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread

178K views 1K replies 131 participants last post by  Akane47 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am going to maintain this thread for the current,new and potential AIOS owners, I am aasoror from Canadian RFD, Patriot PBO forums, PBO wiki, Pivos forums and AIOS wiki.

I know there is already an existing thread for the AIOS, but it was more of a question thread than a product discussion (not to mention that I needed access to the OP to be able to maintain the thread properly).

So here we go,

If people feel happy paying $80 for WDTV Live+, just check what you are missing here: BR ISO support with MENUs (non Java menus only), web browser support HTML5, HD-Audio downmix and pass-through, internal 3.5" HDD support, Gigabit, LCD screen, USB 3.0

Product Features

The AIOS HD Media Center is a robust networked media center supports Full-1080p HD media playback featuring a superior multi-format video and audio codec including AVI, MKV, TS, TP, MOV, AVI, MPEG, WMV, RMVB, FLV, XVID, DIVX, and most popular formats.

With a full range of video & audio outputs, the AIOS HD Media Center can connect to your TV or your receivers to enjoy crisp 1080p videos and surreal surround sound supporting DTS Digital Surround 5.1, Dolby?Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby?Digital plus 7.1, Dolby? TrueHD 7.1, AAC 7.1.

Support upto 4TB internal HDD with hot-plug drive system, built in SDHC/ MMC/MS Pro flash card reader and the latest USB 3.0 controller, the AIOS HD Media Center supports content playback from network storage, attached USB storage, flash storage, digital cameras, digital camcorder and etc.

Intuitive user interface allows user check hardware status such as network connectivity, wifi signal, hard drive capacity and other functions. Newly introduced file browser supports functions such as movie wall, video thumbnails, photo slides, music players, and various customized playlist and photo album functions.

Based on latest Gigabit network technology and optional 802.11n, AIOS HD Media Center can let you easily access the premium functions such as PC-Less P2P downloads, your favorite apps such as Google Talk messenger, Youtube, Picasa, Flickr, Shoutcast, Video Pod Cast, and hundreds of internet video & audio contents. The best yet, we¡¯ve throw in the latest HTML5 web browser into the mix which can allow you surf the web at your heart¡¯s content.

Technical Details

Gigabit Network Ready

DTS, Dolby True HD, 5.1/ 7.1 surround

SATA HDD ready, Optional 802.11n wifi

Built in HTML 5 Web Broswer

The following N-adapters are compatible with the AIOS:

- PTGNANUSB Pivos

- AWLL6075 Airlink101

- AWLL5077 Airlink101

- Patriot PCBOWAU2-N

- DLINK DWA-130 HW version E1

- DLINK DWA-131

- Rokland's

- Zonet ZEW2546

- dealextreme branded (2R1T)

- dealextreme branded (1R1T)

- monoprice branded

- meritline branded

- TEW-648UB (Rev 1.0)

- TEW-649UB (Rev 1.0)

- Asus USB-N10

- Belkin F5D8053 (v. 5000/6000)

The following wireless Realtek chipsets are compatible with the AIOS (11N8709, RTL8187 and RTL8191SU)

See less See more
#878 ·
Thank you, I've enabled NFS on Mac and it is playing full MKV rips with HD audio over Wireless N very well, no stutter and loving this, any news about a new model? all the streamer that I see on Amazon or other stores are from 2011, do you know of some new chips coming this year?

To enable NFS on Mountain Lion install this software http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

Then watch this quick YouTube tutorial and you will be set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z38skeXb7U

#879 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23096177

Thank you, I've enabled NFS on Mac and it is playing full MKV rips with HD audio over Wireless N very well, no stutter and loving this, any news about a new model? all the streamer that I see on Amazon or other stores are from 2011, do you know of some new chips coming this year?

To enable NFS on Mountain Lion install this software http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

Then watch this quick YouTube tutorial and you will be set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z38skeXb7U

Thanks for the update.

By the way, R22 is already out.
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434&start=470#p27750

Good to know you can do MKVs over wifi N, you must have a crystal clear band with no interference.

AP: access point, connect over wifi to your network and can be wired to your devices (so basically allow wifi access to non-wifi devices using ethernet).

#880 ·
Great, I'll check R22 right now
)

I believe that is how I'm connected now as I was trying via power-line but the streaming experience was not good.

Right now I have an Airport Extreme on one room connected to a cable modem creating a wireless N network, then I have a Mac mini with all the movies on an NFS shared drive on Wireless N, I have the AIOS in my living room connected via Ethernet to an Aiport Express that is extending the 5hz N network from my other room, it looks like is doing the trick as it is playing everything very smooth, full MKV rips (30GB-40GB) HD audio, subtitles, no problem.

An easier and absolutely free way for MAc users to enable NFS is the NFS pref panel from fire core, download here http://support.firecore.com/entries/20631337-Streaming-From-Mac-OS-X-10-7-Lion-Mountain-Lion-

#882 ·
That's great then, very happy with full BD streaming now, I'm in panic mode installing R22, I've got the AIOS 4 days ago and installed R21 and now R22 but I never find the "SRJG Jukebox" to setup and configure the path, etc , is this a separate install or a hidden setting? thanks for your help.

#883 ·
I updated my firmware to the latest semi. When I select a different background, such as winter, spring, summer, or fall and re-boot, I always wind up with the default firmware. Also, the little icons for music, video, etc. down the side look distorted but they didn't under the previous semi.

For a custom background, I found a 1280x720 jpg I liked, so I converted it from jpg to png using MS Paint. Is this the way to do it or should I just rename the file from mybg.jpg to mybg.png?

BTW, will there be any more updates to Xtraios? I like the Xtraios interface but I don't like the fact that I can't have subtitles turn on by default in Xtraios.

#884 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23096687

I updated my firmware to the latest semi. When I select a different background, such as winter, spring, summer, or fall and re-boot, I always wind up with the default firmware. Also, the little icons for music, video, etc. down the side look distorted but they didn't under the previous semi.
Just double checked, I can't replicate neither.

- selected "spring" for background (GUI 3.0 set to OFF).

- send unit to standby then back on using the remote, spring is still there.

- send unit to standby again, flick the back switch, spring is still there.

- no distortion with the icons.
Quote:
For a custom background, I found a 1280x720 jpg I liked, so I converted it from jpg to png using MS Paint. Is this the way to do it or should I just rename the file from mybg.jpg to mybg.png?
Yup, saving as png is way to go, you might want to pass it through a compressor as well: http://tinypng.org/
Quote:
BTW, will there be any more updates to Xtraios? I like the Xtraios interface but I don't like the fact that I can't have subtitles turn on by default in Xtraios.
The Xtraios is based on Xtreamer SW2 firmware (untouched except for the things I list in the change log), this got discontinued by Xtreamer at 3.0.12 (which I did port to AIOS at the time).

#885 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23096526

That's great then, very happy with full BD streaming now, I'm in panic mode installing R22, I've got the AIOS 4 days ago and installed R21 and now R22 but I never find the "SRJG Jukebox" to setup and configure the path, etc , is this a separate install or a hidden setting? thanks for your help.
Go to Setup -> Customization -> Video Menu -> SRJG Jukebox.

Then go back to the home screen and select the Video icon.

#887 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23097185

Wow sorry that easy, thanks a lot.

Is there a forum thread or guide on how to setup the jukebox with NFS shares?

First follow this guide to fix your NFS shares mounting point (just use -t nfs instead of -t cifs in the mount command)
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=254

Next use these fixed mount points and point the SRJG jukebox to them.
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=746

Best of luck,

#889 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23097938

Perfect, I'll work on that and share my experience shortly.

ANy chance we can add SRJG jukebox on power-on? It would be great if the AIOS will boot and start the Jukebox, it will be family friendly from the start.

In theory yes, but there is some work to be done first.

That said, you can now set video menu to go SRJG and disable all other menu options, so you will end up with a home screen with a single item that can only go to SRJG.

#891 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23096810

Just double checked, I can't replicate neither.

- selected "spring" for background (GUI 3.0 set to OFF).

- send unit to standby then back on using the remote, spring is still there.

- send unit to standby again, flick the back switch, spring is still there.

- no distortion with the icons.

Yup, saving as png is way to go, you might want to pass it through a compressor as well: http://tinypng.org/

The Xtraios is based on Xtreamer SW2 firmware (untouched except for the things I list in the change log), this got discontinued by Xtreamer at 3.0.12 (which I did port to AIOS at the time).

I had GUI 3.0 enabled which didn't allow me to change the background. Once I disabled Gui 3.0, I was able to load a custom background and all the icons down the side (music, photo, video, etc.) are fine.

I like the look of Xtreamer but I'll stick with the latest semi official.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

#892 ·
I like how the Xtraios version will remember NFS shares without the need to scan each time, when you go to Media Sources your latest NFS share is already there, in R22 semi official there are several clicks involved and more if you have your shared movie folder inside several folders.

Is there any workaround for this?

#893 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23098957

Thanks a lot for your answer, I was also reading that the jukebox does not support subtitles?
True, there is some limitation using the SRJG (vs. going through the file manager), subs is one of these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23100352

I had GUI 3.0 enabled which didn't allow me to change the background. Once I disabled Gui 3.0, I was able to load a custom background and all the icons down the side (music, photo, video, etc.) are fine.

I like the look of Xtreamer but I'll stick with the latest semi official.

Thanks for all of your hard work.
Thanks for the feedback audit13, enjoy your AIOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23100369

I like how the Xtraios version will remember NFS shares without the need to scan each time, when you go to Media Sources your latest NFS share is already there, in R22 semi official there are several clicks involved and more if you have your shared movie folder inside several folders.

Is there any workaround for this?
I have been thinking about there for a while, I have an idea to test for R23 (basically allow the option to disable NFS scanning at all and just use the NFS folder as a holder place for the manually created bookmarks).

#900 ·
Hello,

I am looking to replace my Seagate Home theater Plus media player and have been reading up on this AIOS HD player.

Amazon currently has it for $90(Rebate no longer available),

I am concerned about all the issues and available support for this product.

I've visited their support site and the last firmware release is from 06/08/12 (3.4.3.0) which is still in beta,

with all the problems I'm reading I would hope there would be continueing firmware updates to correct these issues.

Could I get some advise from current owners of this product (would you recommend it at this point).

I have also looked at KDLINKS HD 700(built in Wifi and BD menu support)

but I favor this product because it can support an internal HDD.

Thx

#901 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillot  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23131732

Hello,

I am looking to replace my Seagate Home theater Plus media player and have been reading up on this AIOS HD player.

I've visited their support site and the last firmware release is from 06/08/12 (3.4.3.0) which is still in beta,

with all the problems I'm reading I would hope there would be continueing firmware updates to correct these issues.

Could I get some advise from current owners of this product (would you recommend it at this point).

Thx
Amazon purchases were never eligible for the MIR any way.

Depends on your usage, I don't use 3.4.3.0 any way, just stick for with SO R22, which has more bells and whistles than 3.4.3.0

Presentation will be lacking in comparison with something like XBMC (you can make it look good, but not as good).

UPnP is problematic with some servers (where order is messed up, and you click on a title but the title next to it gets played).

Not optimized for audio access (supports m3u lists but missing features like playlist creation from the interface, or a proper audio jukebox).

Available movie jukeboxes are not optimized for TV shows.

Still a good option to consider as an HD-Audio bitstreaming capable device compatible with most of the manistream encoding profiles.

Might want to go through amazon for no question asked returns if you don't like it.

#902 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillot  /t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread/870#post_23131732

Hello,

Thx

I'm not sure what problems you're referring to but it really depends on what media you want to play.

I see your current media player supports BD 1.0 menus, not BD 2.0 which I think is the new standard.

The latest semi-official firmware was released a few days ago. I don't think too many owners use the official firmware.