Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1117 Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Did that and now I can see the drive I need to on the pc but... this is what pops up when I try and access it from aios.

That is too bad, I have quite a few that would have been nice to view with the aios...

i converted quite a few hd-dvd's to mkv, worked great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Streamerlover, I will give that a try...

So any takers on my last network/password access question, why is it trying to log under that ID?

Al
post #183 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

Did that and now I can see the drive I need to on the pc but... this is what pops up when I try and access it from aios.

That is too bad, I have quite a few that would have been nice to view with the aios...

Go to Registry Editor (by typing regedit on the search programs and files)

In HKEY_Local_Machine
System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Lsa\\everyoneIncludesano nymous
change the value from 0 to 1
In HKEY_Local_Machine
System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\LanManServer\\Parameter s\
estrictnullsessaccess change value from 1 to 0

If you have WORKGROUP enable, exit as well, and open a Guest account with access to your hard drive, and see if this fixes the issue.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #184 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Gus, I will check those settings, and see about the guest account....

I am amazed that all of this needs to be done, but I suppose that this truly one computer accessing another so all the caveats apply!

Al
post #185 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Just got my AIOS and have a couple of questions. First the remote has very poor response. I have to hit the button 2 times most of the time and sometimes mover and then sometimes it will jump past my selection. I am only a few feet from the box and have a direct line of sight.

I didn't see any selection for firmware upgrades, is it automatic? Forget the version I have but the date was Oct. 2011.

Thanks

Are you looking for a mentor
www.winningonlinebusiness.com
post #186 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The remote range and responsiveness leaves a little (lot...) to be desired, some have report better results using a learning remote, that is what I plan to do.

As for the firmware, upgrading is a manual process, the latest version is 2.8.2.8, a number of us have applied a non-official version that can be found on the Pivos site referred to as R16, I have this applied and find a much improved alternative to the stock firmware.

Al
post #187 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As for the firmware, upgrading is a manual process, the latest version is 2.8.2.8, a number of us have applied a non-official version that can be found on the Pivos site referred to as R16, I have this applied and find a much improved alternative to the stock firmware.

I found the Panic Recovery that talks about FW upgrade. Is it the same process, I couldn't find anything on just doing the firmware upgrade. Also is there a manual other than the skimpy thing it comes with to download somewhere or just the forums to figure this thing out.

post #188 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

I found the Panic Recovery that talks about FW upgrade. Is it the same process, I couldn't find anything on just doing the firmware upgrade. Also is there a manual other than the skimpy thing it comes with to download somewhere or just the forums to figure this thing out.

There are 2 ways AFAIK, Panic recovery is one, and I believe that there is a process that is accessed from the settings menu. The predominant process seems to be using Panic Recovery from a USB memory stick, a simple process that is documented on the Pivos forum and in this thread as well.

The manual appears to be a translation from the original Chinese version, the origin country of this unit. There is a downloadable version, but I think it is pretty much the same as the printed copy you received with the player.

Al
post #189 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

If you have the latest boot code of 18 then I would always do "panic recovery" for any firmware install. I have one box running xtraios and one with the "semi-official" version. Both I did with the "panic recovery " mode as my boxes had boot code 18 on them from amazon. The more I use this thing, the more I like it. If ONLY there were a way to use it in my system for my tv show blu ray iso's....
For my sons 2TB harddrive of DVD iso's and movie only blu ray iso's.this thing ROCKS!
post #190 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a link to R16 here. I found R15 on the official site but every place I see R16 here it's red and not a link. Has the link been removed?

post #191 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a link to R16 here. I found R15 on the official site but every place I see R16 here it's red and not a link. Has the link been removed?

So the link found on the Pivos forum in this thread: http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=250

Is where I downloaded the R16 firmware, it is right above the first screen shot picture in the thread. Sorry but as I am on board ship with my tablet it is tough for me to check the link from here...

Al
post #192 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Gus, I will check those settings, and see about the guest account....

I am amazed that all of this needs to be done, but I suppose that this truly one computer accessing another so all the caveats apply!

Since I only paid $89.99 for it, I wasn't too unhappy about it. I was even more satisfied when Aasoror helped me set up my jukebox it.

This is nothing compared to what I had to go through with the A-300 after 3 weeks of ownership, I returned it. I paid a little over $260 dollars for it, and the AIOS beat it at playing my rips, with the exception of blu-ray ISO's, which I only had 1

Home Theater Set Up:

post #193 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Since I only paid $89.99 for it, I wasn't too unhappy about it. I was even more satisfied when Aasoror helped me set up my jukebox it.

This is nothing compared to what I had to go through with the A-300 after 3 weeks of ownership, I returned it. I paid a little over $260 dollars for it, and the AIOS beat it at playing my rips, with the exception of blu-ray ISO's, which I only had 1

I did the FW upgrade, went OK. but so far all I can do is move around in a bunch of folder, most of them empty (on the device anyway) I was hoping for a device that if there was a BR.iso there, it would see it, I hit play and I'm watching a movie. I'm dreaming aren't I. This thing is going to take a lot of tweaking and set up isn't it ...just not my cup of tea? Since there is little to no manual I guess one is expected to figure this out on their own or from great forums like this one?? I mean I'm totally in the dark here, the HDD I purchased with it, do I need to format it (NTSF, FAT32 ????)? What do you have to do to get it to see a blur-ray iso and play it? I did the green button scan and it didn't change much.

Guess I should got to the official web site and try to find a manual.

post #194 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did the FW upgrade, went OK. but so far all I can do is move around in a bunch of folder, most of them empty (on the device anyway) I was hoping for a device that if there was a BR.iso there, it would see it, I hit play and I'm watching a movie. I'm dreaming aren't I. This thing is going to take a lot of tweaking and set up isn't it ...just not my cup of tea? Since there is little to no manual I guess one is expected to figure this out on their own or from great forums like this one?? I mean I'm totally in the dark here, the HDD I purchased with it, do I need to format it (NTSF, FAT32 ????)? What do you have to do to get it to see a blur-ray iso and play it? I did the green button scan and it didn't change much.

Guess I should got to the official web site and try to find a manual.

So, all your rips will be in an internal hard drive or do you have share via network? Also send aasoror a PM, he can probably help you a lot faster than we can . I am not familiar with internal HDD since I share all my media via wired network.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #195 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, all your rips will be in an internal hard drive or do you have share via network? Also send aasoror a PM, he can probably help you a lot faster than we can . I am not familiar with internal HDD since I share all my media via wired network.

I have an internal 2TB drive as well as stuff i would like to share over a wired network. I'll PM aasoror tomorrow.

Thanks

post #196 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Go to Registry Editor (by typing regedit on the search programs and files)

In HKEY_Local_Machine
System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Lsa\\everyoneIncludesano nymous
change the value from 0 to 1
In HKEY_Local_Machine
System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\LanManServer\\Parameter s\
estrictnullsessaccess change value from 1 to 0

If you have WORKGROUP enable, exit as well, and open a Guest account with access to your hard drive, and see if this fixes the issue.

That should work, but I would really not do that (open my network in such a way), I would never use guest account or anonymous sharing or even allow blank passwords for remote login.

It actually not that hard to get it to work properly, you just need to create a user with a password or use the login credentials of an existing one. Just make sure that no firewall or antivirus is blocking file sharing and you should be good to go. Make sure you always set the shares to specific users and set it as read only unless you to be able to move/delete the files on your PC from your AIOS.

Quote:

I was hoping for a device that if there was a BR.iso there, it would see it, I hit play and I'm watching a movie. I'm dreaming aren't I. This thing is going to take a lot of tweaking and set up isn't it ...just not my cup of tea?

Not at all, it functions out of the box, but there is no magic involved, if you don't point it to the location of your files it wont be able to play it for you
Tweaking is only needed for those who want to unleash the full potentials of the box.

Quote:

Since there is little to no manual I guess one is expected to figure this out on their own or from great forums like this one??

There is about 60 pages of documentations (AFAIR), which I think is an over kill, no need to spend that much time detailing interface items when it gets changed with firmware updates, the problem is there is more of the setup the setup that goes beyond the scope of the manual (more related to unix and windows networking).

Quote:

I mean I'm totally in the dark here, the HDD I purchased with it, do I need to format it (NTSF, FAT32 ????)?

Don't formate it at all, and if you already did better to deallocate any formated partitions, just put it in the AIOS in its raw state and let it formate it (using the setup menus).
post #197 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks aasoror, I'll check this out on the AIOS tomorrow afternoon. Where is this "There is about 60 pages of documentations (AFAIR)" Even if I don't need it all I'm sure there will be useful stuff there?

post #198 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

How does the AIOS compare to the Mede8er?

post #199 of 1117 Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks aasoror, I'll check this out on the AIOS tomorrow afternoon. Where is this "There is about 60 pages of documentations (AFAIR)" Even if I don't need it all I'm sure there will be useful stuff there?

It appears I remembered incorrectly, its 36 pages manual (which is still an overkill) ..
Here you are http://www.pivosforums.com/AIOS/AIOS...l_rev_7-26.pdf

Quote:

How does the AIOS compare to the Mede8er?

Here is what GusGus just said,

Quote:

My wife ended up liking the AIOS better than the Mede8er, and today she pretty much told me to sell it, and get another AIOS for the living room.

So, I've put the mede8er in the for sale section for $180, which includes shipping if anyone is interested send a PM or email at GFOviedo at yahoo dot com.

post #200 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The AIOS is set up in our master bedroom. So, my wife uses it a lot more since the kids only watch cartoon in the livingroom So, she pretty much got used to the AIOS UI so much that she likes it better.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #201 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This bring the amazon price to $69

$20 MIR (VISA virtual ecard) for purchases between Feb 15 and March 31.
Register here; http://pivos.myonlinerebate.com/
post #202 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

This bring the amazon price to $69

$20 MIR (VISA virtual ecard) for purchases between Feb 15 and March 31.
Register here; http://pivos.myonlinerebate.com/

That sucks, I bought mine in 1/11/12

Home Theater Set Up:

post #203 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Not that I need another streamer, but for that price, maybe I'll jump over the fence just to try it out. I know the AIOS supports a jukebox, but can you change the stock UI (and are there user-built ones)? The stock UI looks fugly!

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #204 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That sucks, I bought mine in 1/11/12

This really sucks, I bought mine last Sunday the 12th.

This sucks to. Found out something that could have been a disaster (may have been and I don't know it yet) did loose my rip damn it. I stuck in a new 1TB HDD in the AIOS I knew I had a Bly-ray rip on (3D) to see if it would find it. Also has some other stuff on it but don't remember if it was important or not ...guess it doesn't matter now. It appears the damn thing formatted the drive (with no warning I ever saw) and I lost the rip and what ever else was on the drive.
Another issue:
I connected the AIOS to my HTPC via USB (hope the hell it doesn't format that) and when I go to the AIOS all I have is a blank screen with "Enter USB OTG Mode..." message on it. I don't see the AIOS on the HTPC or the drive install in the AIOS. When I connected the AIOS everything seemed normal on the HTPC, "new device found", "new device installed and working ...and at that stuff a PC normally does.

post #205 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

The stock UI looks fugly!

I second that!

post #206 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Aasorer posted some UI pics at the start of this thread of the blue theme, it looks much better than the fugly orange theme it starts with. (What were they thinking? Lol)

It's definitely a good deal even though it shortens your Amazon return window to 21 days. I've personally had too many bad experiences with rebates but it is very tempting.
post #207 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:

This sucks to. Found out something that could have been a disaster (may have been and I don't know it yet) did loose my rip damn it. I stuck in a new 1TB HDD in the AIOS I knew I had a Bly-ray rip on (3D) to see if it would find it. Also has some other stuff on it but don't remember if it was important or not ...guess it doesn't matter now. It appears the damn thing formatted the drive (with no warning I ever saw) and I lost the rip and what ever else was on the drive.
Another issue:
I connected the AIOS to my HTPC via USB (hope the hell it doesn't format that) and when I go to the AIOS all I have is a blank screen with "Enter USB OTG Mode..." message on it. I don't see the AIOS on the HTPC or the drive install in the AIOS. When I connected the AIOS everything seemed normal on the HTPC, "new device found", "new device installed and working ...and at that stuff a PC normally does.

I shoved a 2TB drive full of stuff in mine and it did NOT do that! I was playing my rips in seconds...
post #208 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I shoved a 2tb in mine and it didn't format it till I went to the format function but mine was new and I still haven't put anything on it yet other then a couple of test folders and the things it adds when it does the format.
post #209 of 1117 Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is strange, the box shouldn't formate the internal HDD unprompted, have you verified that the drive got formatted (by removing it from the AIOS and testing it on your PC) ?
The drive being not accessbile (through the AIOS) when the AIOS is connected to your PC (though OTG mode is activated) further suggests the drive wasn't formatted (the chances are it was just not recognized).
Its generally not recommended to pre-formate and/or pre-load the internal HDD, it might (not) work properly, the recommendation is to remove any partition preallocated on the drive, insert it in raw state in the AIOS and let the AIOS formate it (because it will create extra system partitions on it) and not swap the drive internally once formatted by the AIOS but use the whole box as an external USB 3.0 enclosure.

Quote:

Another issue:

post #210 of 1117 Old 02-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

have you verified that the drive got formatted (by removing it from the AIOS and testing it on your PC) ?

Yep, that is how I discovered it had been formatted. It had a rip on it I was going to move to my PC and then copy the the 2tb AIOS HDD. I stuck the HDD in and there were two directories on it "Theater" and "BT" and that was it, no rip.

I'm sure since no one else has had this issue I must have done something to format it as I was fumbling around trying to figure this thing out. I remeber going to the format area on the device but hit return and did nothing there. Don't know when or how I formatted it.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page