Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the AIOS will play Blu-Ray rips of 3D disks in 3D?

Are you looking for a mentor
www.winningonlinebusiness.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Nope. AIOS has the Realtek 1185 chip, and only 1186 can do 3D ISO.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #213 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Does anyone know if the AIOS will play Blu-Ray rips of 3D disks in 3D?

Depends on how did you do the rip, a direct copy wont work (it can't handle stereo video streams). But H-SBS and TnB MKVs rips will work (as long as the resulting file is not exceeding the 1080p specs).
post #214 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote=aasoror;21647147]That should work, but I would really not do that (open my network in such a way), I would never use guest account or anonymous sharing or even allow blank passwords for remote login.

It actually not that hard to get it to work properly, you just need to create a user with a password or use the login credentials of an existing one. Just make sure that no firewall or antivirus is blocking file sharing and you should be good to go. Make sure you always set the shares to specific users and set it as read only unless you to be able to move/delete the files on your PC from your AIOS.

Thanks for speaking up on this, given what you say I should be able to enter the login and password for the PC that contains the target files?

I tried this but still could not get in...

Al
post #215 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Nope. AIOS has the Realtek 1185 chip, and only 1186 can do 3D ISO.

Any media devices that have that chip or will do 3D from iso rips?

post #216 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the HiMedia HD900B (see my thread), Micca EP950 (HD900B clone), Xtreamer Prodigy, etc., all based on the 1186 chip. If you need full menus, then Oppo BDP-93 w/o the latest firmware that disabled 3D ISO support.

post #217 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 PM

I've had my AIOS extender for about a month now, and it's been great. The damn thing actually convinced me to setup a 5.1 system for the first time since the late 90s.

My issue is popping from the speakers when a 5.1 source is paused or the stop button is pressed. The HDMI output on the AIOS is set to RAW. In the same menu (Audio), LPCM and LPCM Multi-Ch settings both result in 2.0 output (as shown by the receiver's display).

probably the salient point: When I press pause on the AIOS, I can see on the Onkyo TX-NR509 display that 2.0 is now the audio output mode. I press pause again to resume play, the speakers pop again and the display shows 5.1 mode.

The Onkyo menu under Setup > Source Setup (option 8) > Audio Selector, it's set to HDMI and fixed mode off. Every other option there results in no audio, and a flashing HDMI on the display. The other options are:

Analog
HDMI (PCM)
HDMI (DTS)

If there's no hope, that's fine. But I'd like to know if it's me doing something wonky with one of the settings that's causing the popping. I found a thread for a TX-SR606 elsewhere online, and it mentioned Listener Mode under Setup, but I can't find that in my menus.

Thanks for any help!
post #218 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Where should DVD or BR iso's reside on the internal drive of the AIOS? In the root, "BT" directory or "Theater" Directory or does it matter?

OK, the root is fine I now know.

Where do I get the cover art and get it to display instead of the icon that displays by default.

post #219 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Thanks for speaking up on this, given what you say I should be able to enter the login and password for the PC that contains the target files?

I tried this but still could not get in...

Have you verified the files you are trying to access are shared to the specific user for which you are using the login credentials ?

Also did you check that no firewalls will block "file and printer sharing".

You might also want to make sure that there no special characters in the user/pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.lebowski View Post

My issue is popping from the speakers when a 5.1 source is paused or the stop button is pressed.

It was reported with external speakers before.
It sucks, I do have that issue with the sound bar connected my HTPC whenever my bar is turned on before the HTPC, not sure if there is a way around it though.

on a second note .. the latest firmware (to be released) solved the playon.tv issue, so playon.tv services will be accessible on the AIOS.
post #220 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
HMMM, might be a great option for folks who want to cut the cord except for some form of internet as far as PlayOn goes. Haven't researched it but seems pretty reasonable as far as cost goes for a legal alternative that would get you a lot of content. Guess I'll have to read up on it but I always love free new features added to my toys, even if I don't use them.
post #221 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, the HiMedia HD900B (see my thread), Micca EP950 (HD900B clone), Xtreamer Prodigy, etc., all based on the 1186 chip. If you need full menus, then Oppo BDP-93 w/o the latest firmware that disabled 3D ISO support.

So only the BDP-93 (before the FW update) supports menus in 3D or standard Blu-ray iso's?

post #222 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

HMMM, might be a great option for folks who want to cut the cord except for some form of internet as far as PlayOn goes. Haven't researched it but seems pretty reasonable as far as cost goes for a legal alternative that would get you a lot of content. Guess I'll have to read up on it but I always love free new features added to my toys, even if I don't use them.

I have been on the $20 annual promo for the last 3 years (should have jumped on the $60 lifetime license when I had the chance).

They currently have a promo on the $80 lifetime subscription (free $60 Roku LT streamer), annual for $30 (regular $40) and monthly for $5.

Beside providing the services for any UPnP capable client It is good for those outside US as you need to run VPN only on the PC running the playon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

So only the BDP-93 (before the FW update) supports menus in 3D or standard Blu-ray iso's?

woow.. at $500 I can build at a fully capable booksized HTPC and have significant amount of cash to spare.
post #223 of 1116 Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

I have been on the $20 annual promo for the last 3 years (should have jumped on the $60 lifetime license when I had the chance).

They currently have a promo on the $80 lifetime subscription (free $60 Roku LT streamer), annual for $30 (regular $40) and monthly for $5.

Beside providing the services for any UPnP capable client It is good for those outside US as you need to run VPN only on the PC running the playon.

woow.. at $500 I can build at a fully capable booksized HTPC and have significant amount of cash to spare.

Yes, but the oppo will actually WORK and not crash while updating, adding drivers, etc. My oppo will never leave my system! It is a shame about the removal of iso playback though...
post #224 of 1116 Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, Oppo is pricey, but plays BD-ISO's with full menus perfectly. But, with the removal of this feature going forward, it means when there's a new title with a new BD+ scheme, it may not play unless you update the firmware, but lose ISO playback.

There's also the Asus O!Play BDS-700, which I think does full menus w/3D ISO's, but no reviews yet. An AVS forum member has ordered it, and we're waiting for his impressions.

post #225 of 1116 Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep, Oppo is pricey, but plays BD-ISO's with full menus perfectly. But, with the removal of this feature going forward, it means when there's a new title with a new BD+ scheme, it may not play unless you update the firmware, but lose ISO playback.

There's also the Asus O!Play BDS-700, which I think does full menus w/3D ISO's, but no reviews yet. An AVS forum member has ordered it, and we're waiting for his impressions.

Thanks for the info. The Oppo is way more than I want to pay and with the loss of .iso I wouldn't buy one if it was $10. I hate it when the Mfg. kiss movie industry Arrs.

I'm figuring out the AIOS and some iso's seem to have menu function and some just go directly into play .....but, I can't live with the way the remote works ...or doesn't work. I'll try a learning remote this weekend and if it doesn't work like a remote should I'm sending it back and may get the Micca EP950. How does it compare to the HD900B it is a copy of?

P.S. will check out the BDS-700 too!

post #226 of 1116 Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Basically the same player. You can get the Micca EP950 and load the latest HD900B beta firmware, or better yet OllyP's unofficial version here. Back to AIOS...

post #227 of 1116 Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 AM

Liked: 10
Having issues getting started with the NFS share for network jukebox under the latest semiofficial. Tried readigng up on it on various threads, but just getting more confused. I can see and access my videos under both network and UPnP. Is the nfs mapping still needed in order to have a working jukebox?

My videos are within a single main folder on my diskstation NAS, but many are further segregated in sub folders
post #228 of 1116 Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wekurtz74 View Post

Having issues getting started with the NFS share for network jukebox under the latest semiofficial. Tried readigng up on it on various threads, but just getting more confused. I can see and access my videos under both network and UPnP. Is the nfs mapping still needed in order to have a working jukebox?

My videos are within a single main folder on my diskstation NAS, but many are further segregated in sub folders

I had a lot of issues trying to do this on my own, but once I contacted aasoror, and told him about my set up and shares, he was able to help me with the linux script so I could complete my NFS shares. After that I used ThumbGen to scan all of my movies and get the correct art for each.

I just rebuilt my whole set up, and build an unRaid server. So, I will be recontacting aasoror to help me out with the NSF script again Sent him a PM, and he'll help you out.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #229 of 1116 Old 02-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks Gusgus. Ill send him a pm.
post #230 of 1116 Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wekurtz74 View Post

Thanks Gusgus. Ill send him a pm.

Post your setup here: http://pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=254
The server IP, the folder name and the sequence you go through to access your folders from under network tab.

I will pickup there.
post #231 of 1116 Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I've had my AIOS extender for about a month now, and it's been great. The damn thing actually convinced me to setup a 5.1 system for the first time since the late 90s.

My issue is popping from the speakers when a 5.1 source is paused or the stop button is pressed. The HDMI output on the AIOS is set to RAW. In the same menu (Audio), LPCM and LPCM Multi-Ch settings both result in 2.0 output (as shown by the receiver's display).

probably the salient point: When I press pause on the AIOS, I can see on the Onkyo TX-NR509 display that 2.0 is now the audio output mode. I press pause again to resume play, the speakers pop again and the display shows 5.1 mode.

The Onkyo menu under Setup > Source Setup (option 8) > Audio Selector, it's set to HDMI and fixed mode off. Every other option there results in no audio, and a flashing HDMI on the display. The other options are:

Analog
HDMI (PCM)
HDMI (DTS)

If there's no hope, that's fine. But I'd like to know if it's me doing something wonky with one of the settings that's causing the popping. I found a thread for a TX-SR606 elsewhere online, and it mentioned Listener Mode under Setup, but I can't find that in my menus.

Thanks for any help!

Have you tried updating or trying different firmware?

Does it happen with all 5.1 material?
post #232 of 1116 Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Have you tried updating or trying different firmware?

Does it happen with all 5.1 material?

I've not tried different, nor tried updating the firmware.

Yes, this occurs with all 5.1 material.
post #233 of 1116 Old 02-19-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Depending on how new and up to date your unit is they released quite a few official and semi official firmwares since it first came out so might be worth checking on the latest updates and running whichever one sounds right to you. I run semi official R16 myself and I haven't noticed any popping and things but I might have a completely different setup then yours for connections. I run mine HDMI to TV and optical to my older Onkyo 898 receiver.
post #234 of 1116 Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I've not tried different, nor tried updating the firmware.

Yes, this occurs with all 5.1 material.

Does the popping occur with other 5.1 devices connected through your receiver such as a dvd or BR player? Are you able to try the Pivos on another 5.1 system?
post #235 of 1116 Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

2/22/2012: AIOS_AASOROR-R17_3.0.1.7
Bug fixes:
- UPnP client compatibility with playon.tv
- Fix bookmark section messing up with navigation.

Extras:
- Port all R16 features and bug fixes.
- Introduces the AIOS IMS portal (currently under construction).

Download the file from here.

post #236 of 1116 Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Link not working. 404 error when I tried to download the file.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #237 of 1116 Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Link not working. 404 error when I tried to download the file.

Fixed, sorry about the typo.
post #238 of 1116 Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Hope Playon gets some HD content as it sounds like for now they don't support it but are working on it. A big extra to play with anyways so thanks, have to look and maybe get a pay account.
post #239 of 1116 Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Hope Playon gets some HD content as it sounds like for now they don't support it but are working on it. A big extra to play with anyways so thanks, have to look and maybe get a pay account.

They have 14 days free trial period for the premium account, be sure to make use of that first.
post #240 of 1116 Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been trying to install the R17 FW, and for some reason or another my AIOS just freezes / stops after a few minutes of downloading the file. I waited for about 5 min. and the update bars didn't move at all.

So, I'm on my 3 attempt and the status / update bars are moving...crossing toes

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page