Low Profile, HDMI 1.4a 3D Card to output to Denon AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

This is my first post (well actually 4th as I had to post 3 elsewere to include links!) here at AVS...so hi!

Now, I've been doing some (a LOT!) of searching on my new setup, including these forums but still have a few questions specific to my setup and new choice of hardware..

Currently I have a Media PC running:

•Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H (http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=2877#ov)

•CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9400, (6M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

•Memory: 4GB DDR2

•Graphics: Asus EN9400GT (http://www.asus.com/...00GTDI512MD2LP/)

•Sound: Onboard Mobo (Realtek) connected via internal SPDIF to HDMI on Graphics Card

•ROM: DVD RW

•HDD1: 2x 640GB WD Black in Raid 1

•HDD2: 1x 2TB WD Green

•TV: Panasonic Plasma 42", inbuilt sound

I'm currently building a new house, of course all networked, in built surround, wall mounted TV etc . As part of this, I'm going to be buying a new TV, either a Samsung 60" D8000 or a 55" D7000 depending if I can justify the extra dosh for the extra 5". I also want to now setup my Media PC fully with Windows 7 Media Center, TV tuners, Blu-ray drive so it can be my one stop shop for all media.

For my sound setup, I have bought a Denon AVR-1912 (http://www.usa.denon...ngMedia(Denon...VR1912(DenonNA)) which supports HDMI 1.4a (6 inputs, 1 output). So my intention is to run all (at this stage, just the Media PC) inputs in to the Denon with it processing all sound and outputting the picture to the Samsung d7000/8000 over HDMI. I want to be able to watch 3d blu rays etc in this configuration, thus moving to HDMI 1.4a. I will be running the Denon on a 5.1 surround setup with Niles CM750 Speakers front and centre, Niles CM750FX speakers rear and a Jamo E8 Subwoofer.

So currently, my graphics card does not support HDMI 1.4a so this will have to be upgraded, I will need a Blu-Ray drive and a TV Tuner, this is what I'm going to purchase at present:

•Graphics: Asus GT430 LP ($60) (http://www.asus.com/...NGT430DI1GD3LP/)

•Tv Tuner: DigitalNow Quad TV Tuner ($200)

•Blu-Ray: LG Blu-Ray Combo Drive ($58)

My main questioning is around the Graphics card, handling of HDMI audio etc and I would much appreciate if someone could provide me some assistance:

1. I was looking at the GT520, but I have read on this forum and elsewhere the de-interlacing is not as good as the 430. Should I be looking at any other cards? Keep in mind i need low profile and would prefer silent, I also only have a PCIe x4 bus, but on a full PCIe x16 lane. So I can run a PCIe X16 card...but it's speed will be reduced.

2. This card looks to support Dolby DTS, TrueHD etc through Bit Streaming. I don't want any audio processing done on my PC, I want my Denon to handle all of this. Is this what I'm after?

3. What happens to audio that is not encoded in Dolby DTS, True HD etc. I assume this would be un-encoded, maybe AC3 and just passed straight through to the Denon to process? Would there be any benefit in using a Soundcard for this non-dolby audio, eg Xonar 1.3 SLIM? (connected with internal SPDIF to graphics to get HDMI 1.4a).

4. When using the TV tuner card with WMC7 will I be able to receive any Dolby surround sound from free to air stations that will then pass through HDMI for the Denon to process? Or do I need a soundcard to do this?

5. I know that NVIDIAs do the overscan and I should set the TV to 1:1 pixel mapping or something to ensure it doesnt break HDCP etc...will I lose any processing capabilities of the TV by doing this?

From my current research, I think the above is what I need to get and will solve my problems...just want to be sure!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Cheers,

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone....? Bueller.....?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixsoul View Post

Hi All,

This is my first post (well actually 4th as I had to post 3 elsewere to include links!) here at AVS...so hi!

Now, I've been doing some (a LOT!) of searching on my new setup, including these forums but still have a few questions specific to my setup and new choice of hardware..

Currently I have a Media PC running:

•Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H (http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=2877#ov)

•CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9400, (6M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

•Memory: 4GB DDR2

•Graphics: Asus EN9400GT (http://www.asus.com/...00GTDI512MD2LP/)

•Sound: Onboard Mobo (Realtek) connected via internal SPDIF to HDMI on Graphics Card

•ROM: DVD RW

•HDD1: 2x 640GB WD Black in Raid 1

•HDD2: 1x 2TB WD Green

•TV: Panasonic Plasma 42", inbuilt sound

I'm currently building a new house, of course all networked, in built surround, wall mounted TV etc . As part of this, I'm going to be buying a new TV, either a Samsung 60" D8000 or a 55" D7000 depending if I can justify the extra dosh for the extra 5". I also want to now setup my Media PC fully with Windows 7 Media Center, TV tuners, Blu-ray drive so it can be my one stop shop for all media.

For my sound setup, I have bought a Denon AVR-1912 (http://www.usa.denon...ngMedia(Denon...VR1912(DenonNA)) which supports HDMI 1.4a (6 inputs, 1 output). So my intention is to run all (at this stage, just the Media PC) inputs in to the Denon with it processing all sound and outputting the picture to the Samsung d7000/8000 over HDMI. I want to be able to watch 3d blu rays etc in this configuration, thus moving to HDMI 1.4a. I will be running the Denon on a 5.1 surround setup with Niles CM750 Speakers front and centre, Niles CM750FX speakers rear and a Jamo E8 Subwoofer.

So currently, my graphics card does not support HDMI 1.4a so this will have to be upgraded, I will need a Blu-Ray drive and a TV Tuner, this is what I'm going to purchase at present:

•Graphics: Asus GT430 LP ($60) (http://www.asus.com/...NGT430DI1GD3LP/)

•Tv Tuner: DigitalNow Quad TV Tuner ($200)

•Blu-Ray: LG Blu-Ray Combo Drive ($58)

My main questioning is around the Graphics card, handling of HDMI audio etc and I would much appreciate if someone could provide me some assistance:

1. I was looking at the GT520, but I have read on this forum and elsewhere the de-interlacing is not as good as the 430. Should I be looking at any other cards? Keep in mind i need low profile and would prefer silent, I also only have a PCIe x4 bus, but on a full PCIe x16 lane. So I can run a PCIe X16 card...but it's speed will be reduced.

2. This card looks to support Dolby DTS, TrueHD etc through Bit Streaming. I don't want any audio processing done on my PC, I want my Denon to handle all of this. Is this what I'm after?

3. What happens to audio that is not encoded in Dolby DTS, True HD etc. I assume this would be un-encoded, maybe AC3 and just passed straight through to the Denon to process? Would there be any benefit in using a Soundcard for this non-dolby audio, eg Xonar 1.3 SLIM? (connected with internal SPDIF to graphics to get HDMI 1.4a).

4. When using the TV tuner card with WMC7 will I be able to receive any Dolby surround sound from free to air stations that will then pass through HDMI for the Denon to process? Or do I need a soundcard to do this?

5. I know that NVIDIAs do the overscan and I should set the TV to 1:1 pixel mapping or something to ensure it doesnt break HDCP etc...will I lose any processing capabilities of the TV by doing this?

From my current research, I think the above is what I need to get and will solve my problems...just want to be sure!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Cheers,

Ken

I have the Nvidia GTX 570 - which is the Nvidia 500 series and it can bitstream HD Audio and all other audio formats. It will also passthrough all other audio codecs for your A/V receiver to decode. I use my PC for gaming too so that is why I have the higher end Nvidia 500 series card...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #4 of 4 Old 01-19-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post

I have the Nvidia GTX 570 - which is the Nvidia 500 series and it can bitstream HD Audio and all other audio formats. It will also passthrough all other audio codecs for your A/V receiver to decode. I use my PC for gaming too so that is why I have the higher end Nvidia 500 series card...

Thanks for confirmation on bitstreaming...I need a LP card though so would get the 520 if anything...but apparently the 430 has better edge resolution etc.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page