post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off let me say that...

1) I have googled...
2) I have searched this forum...
3) This forum does not appear to have a official PS3 thread, seeing as how popular the PS3 is, it probably should...

Now that I have most of the disclaimers out of the way for the trolls out there, my question to the rest of the community is hopefully, but probably not, a simple one.

A little background info.

I currently use SABNZBD to handle my downloads, which also repairs and unpacks my TV shows.

I am using a synology DS212J to serve up my media to the house over wired connections.

I personally use WDTV live plus to view my media, which works just fine. However, both my roommates have PS3's as do I, and 80% of my media does not work on the PS3's.

I am looking for a way to automate the conversion of video files (mainly HD scene released TV shows in the MKV container). Unfortunately, the "scene" doesn't want to recognize or care about universal compatibility (if there is such a thing), and most of the TV shows released do not play on PS3 media server right out of the box.

The files that dont work generally have the following errors: The data type is not supported, the data is corrupted, or audio plays but no video, or video plays but no audio. I realize the last 3 are problems with the encode, but the first one, the data type is not supported, is the most common error.

Ideally I would like software that watches a certain directory for changes, and/or runs at a specified time, and automatically converts these video files into PS3 compatible video files.

It sounds like mkv2vob (mkvtoolnix) is capable of this, but most of the information I find on settings or scenarios is several years old. Is there new software? Better methods?

If anyone is using mkv2vob or some variant in this capacity can you give a simple tutorial with settings/pipe commands on how to accomplish this with a Windows OS?

If this doesn't exist, what creative methods has this community invented or found to deal with this extremely annoying problem?

Also, I realize that re-encoding these files can amount in a loss of quality if you actually have to re-encode the video, is there a best practice to minimize loss of quality in this scenario, and has anyone, or can anyone equate the loss into a percent value?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by guht View Post

First off let me say that...

1) I have googled...
2) I have searched this forum...
3) This forum does not appear to have a official PS3 thread, seeing as how popular the PS3 is, it probably should...

Now that I have most of the disclaimers out of the way for the trolls out there, my question to the rest of the community is hopefully, but probably not, a simple one.

A little background info.

I currently use SABNZBD to handle my downloads, which also repairs and unpacks my TV shows.

I am using a synology DS212J to serve up my media to the house over wired connections.

I personally use WDTV live plus to view my media, which works just fine. However, both my roommates have PS3's as do I, and 80% of my media does not work on the PS3's.

I am looking for a way to automate the conversion of video files (mainly HD scene released TV shows in the MKV container). Unfortunately, the "scene" doesn't want to recognize or care about universal compatibility (if there is such a thing), and most of the TV shows released do not play on PS3 media server right out of the box.

The files that dont work generally have the following errors: The data type is not supported, the data is corrupted, or audio plays but no video, or video plays but no audio. I realize the last 3 are problems with the encode, but the first one, the data type is not supported, is the most common error.

Ideally I would like software that watches a certain directory for changes, and/or runs at a specified time, and automatically converts these video files into PS3 compatible video files.

It sounds like mkv2vob (mkvtoolnix) is capable of this, but most of the information I find on settings or scenarios is several years old. Is there new software? Better methods?

If anyone is using mkv2vob or some variant in this capacity can you give a simple tutorial with settings/pipe commands on how to accomplish this with a Windows OS?

If this doesn't exist, what creative methods has this community invented or found to deal with this extremely annoying problem?

Also, I realize that re-encoding these files can amount in a loss of quality if you actually have to re-encode the video, is there a best practice to minimize loss of quality in this scenario, and has anyone, or can anyone equate the loss into a percent value?

Thanks for reading!

You are asking your question in the wrong forum. This is for legally obtained media only. The PS3 is a great gaming machine, a decent blu-ray player and a lousy streamer.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM

I stream a variety of things to PS3 with great success. My files live on WHS and stream from an ancient HTPC running XP and PS3 Media Server. All gigabit.

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

I built the HTPC to handle only 720p, and any 1080p chokes it, so I fall back to PS3, which works great.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Rip all your legally own media to M4V with Handbrake, and you will be able to watch those files on PS3. XBOX, Ipod, Ipad, Android phones.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Rip all your legally own media to M4V with Handbrake, and you will be able to watch those files on PS3. XBOX, Ipod, Ipad, Android phones.

The PS3 has been a good streamer for 2D content in the past.

One problem is hardware failure with YLOD due to running the fan too slow. Since I want my PS3 to last and last, the fan mod was a good idea for my PS3.

They PS3 cannot stream 3D (except SBS which is really 2D), and cannot play AVCHD2.0 either 2D or 3D.

For the above reason, PS3 has fallen off the list of streamers supporting new content, and would not even be considered for a new purchase when there are less expensive players that do 3D streaming.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Why not simply let PS3-MS transcode video formats not natively supported by the console?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Why not simply let PS3-MS transcode video formats not natively supported by the console?

You can do that if you can make it work. I had a bad time with it so I left it alone and got two media players instead.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8 of 8 Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You can do that if you can make it work. I had a bad time with it so I left it alone and got two media players instead.
I've had absolutely no problem using PS3MS, just make sure that your HDTV is set to GAME and not Cinema or the like, because that will cause nothing but problems, most notably sync-ing and FF-ing and RW-ing.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page