Apple tv xbmc, vs boxee or something else for my needs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I apologize for posting such a generic question when there is alot of information out there on these devices already.

I am dune user when it comes to streaming blu-ray, or other high bitrare hd content.

I do want a media player however which the dune is not.

Im just wondering which one of the two would be better suited for me.

Essentials

1. Streaming web content, which is better.

2. Music, this is very important, i have high quality artwork saved as folder.jpg, and i would like it displayed, i hear boxee might have issues with it where it keeps trying to download low quality art. That could be a deal breaker.

3. Reliability, i dont want this thing having a bunch issues with slowness, stuttering, ect...

4. A webbrowser do either of these have any easy to use browser? I have a desktop pc connected to my tv/projector so im not sure if i should even be looking at this, and just stick to the desktop. Not sure how well these browsers work.

5. Anything else I should be aware of.

If anyone could compare them or touch on these topics, or provide me somewhere with direct comparisons and issues it would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should also mention im looking at these two becuase of the large app collection.

Im also canadian, not sure if any of these can somehow give me hulu or similar access as well. But i would like to know.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I should also mention im looking at these two becuase of the large app collection.

Im also canadian, not sure if any of these can somehow give me hulu or similar access as well. But i would like to know.

no box exists that meets your requirements.

HTPC is your solution.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Could you be specific what exactly does not meet my specs?

It looks like apple tv would with xbmc. If its number 4 i really dont need a web bowser, would just be nice to have.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If it was the hulu thing and using a vpn, thats not a big deal, i did it once before but had problems using the vpn, i simply did not use hulu enough to justify vpn problems.

We can forget hulu content, i was more just curious if i could access it somehow without a vpn for rare shows.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it was the hulu thing and using a vpn, thats not a big deal, i did it once before but had problems using the vpn, i simply did not use hulu enough to justify vpn problems.

We can forget hulu content, i was more just curious if i could access it somehow without a vpn for rare shows.

all requirements except 2 are not supported by ATV2 with XBMC.

again, no box in existance meets your criteria. change your criteria and I will adjust the answer accordingly.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Could you please specify which ones, I dont want to sound rude, but if you could explain which ones it would allow me adjust my criteria.

After that, i will start looking at a cheap pc, but your being a bit ominous with your answer.

If it makes it easier, stream web content, and play music with folder.jpg art, thats the 2 main things.

the rest was basically reliability, which device has less issues ect...
post #8 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could you please specify which ones, I dont want to sound rude, but if you could explain which ones it would allow me adjust my criteria.

After that, i will start looking at a cheap pc, but your being a bit ominous with your answer.

If it makes it easier, stream web content, and play music with folder.jpg art, thats the 2 main things.

the rest was basically reliability, which device has less issues ect...

HTPC is still your answer unless you want to refine web content.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will move to the htpc section, see if i can find out some answers regarding it and xbmc.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I will move to the htpc section, see if i can find out some answers regarding it and xbmc.

Please don't as your requirement of reliability isn't met by HTPC's.

I've spent a lot of time researching the XBMC option for ATV2 as I have three of these units in active duty. After much debate, I have not installed the jailbreak and XBMC on ANY of them.

The AppleTV is a great option for managing an extensive music collection. I use it and two Airport Expresses for a complete 5 zone music system. While a bit pricey, the iPad is a great tool to work together in an Apple media system. It allows for display free control, management and content transfer via the AirPlay function. I use it to fill the Web Browser gap of the ATV. With iPad mirroring, whatever's on the iPad appears on ATV connected Displays.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

I've spent a lot of time researching the XBMC option for ATV2 as I have three of these units in active duty. After much debate, I have not installed the jailbreak and XBMC on ANY of them.

The AppleTV is a great option for managing an extensive music collection. I use it and two Airport Expresses for a complete 5 zone music system. While a bit pricey, the iPad is a great tool to work together in an Apple media system. It allows for display free control, management and content transfer via the AirPlay function. I use it to fill the Web Browser gap of the ATV. With iPad mirroring, whatever's on the iPad appears on ATV connected Displays.

I would pull the trigger on atv2 if there was not one issue some people complain of and thats 720p stuttering.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I would pull the trigger on atv2 if there was not one issue some people complain of and thats 720p stuttering.

I can say for certain that none of my ATV's studded on 720 content. Two units are wired and one is wireless on a 5ghz channel of a dual channel Netgear. As a matter of fact, I'm working on my iPad right now while watching an HD stream of Moneyball from iTunes.....and I'm on the same channel. No shuddering whatsoever.

On a side note, all of my standard def movies (400 or so) are stored on my PC for playback on the ATVs. Works perfectly with nice cataloguing features and info screen. I won't be storing any BD disc though, as the file size is just too damn big to be practical........IMO anyways.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I don't agree. I have had no problems with XBMC on a Shuttle silent atom based HTPC. Great system. It is totally silent, runs Eden beta2 on a windows 7 system and requires no maintenance at all. I only use it for XBMC and the occasional testing of DLNA stuff. Works great with my Harmony and uses very little power. I never turn it off though and the remote won't power it on which is no big deal.

An ATV2 makes sense for music as has been noted or if you have an iDevice ( it really shines there!). If you don't mind the jail breaking game ATVFlash is actually pretty good, Plex on the ATV2 is excellent and the MediaPlayer software that comes with ATVFlash is really nice. The real unknown for me is whether or not the latest Eden beta runs well. XBMC has come a long ways. Amongst lower priced players the ATV2 is pretty appealing. You really appreciate it after playing with some of the other low cost things.

LG of all companies came out with a followup to their Smart TV Upgrader (the st600) which was not great. This latest version won best media player at CES and it does look very interesting for those of us interested in Plex.

philip
post #14 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

This wasn't one of the original requirements, but I know for me this is a big consideration. If the OP is handy at working on the HTPC, then it is not an issue.

I have a couple ATVs (both version 1 & 2), all jailbroken and I have no issue with streaming DVD rip movies. I have experienced the stutter with a couple Blu-ray rips, so that was a pain. I have installed XBMC on the ATV2, but have not been successful in getting it configured to access the movies on my NAS.

Overall, I am very happy with the ATV2. There is almost NO issue with playing files, movies or music. PLUS, the ease of use is a BIG factor for me since the wife and kids also have to use it.

I did make the mistake of watching XBMC on a Mac mini and was VERY impressed. This combination is a FAR better solution then the ATV2, but it also costs $500 more than the ATV2. The only "mistake" is now I want this setup. The difference between the two is like the difference between eating a steak at a local diner or at a steak house. They will both fill you up, but if you can afford it, the steak house will provide a MUCH better meal.

You can use iTunes on the Mac mini for music or go all out and use JRiver Media Center. On the video side XBMC is an excellent option and only getting better. The form factor of the Mac mini is very nice since it is so small and quiet, and the power draw is very low.

Edit:
Sorry, forgot to mention the web browsing. This should be considered a given since the Mac mini has full browser capabilities.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhays View Post

This wasn't one of the original requirements, but I know for me this is a big consideration. If the OP is handy at working on the HTPC, then it is not an issue.

I have a couple ATVs (both version 1 & 2), all jailbroken and I have no issue with streaming DVD rip movies. I have experienced the stutter with a couple Blu-ray rips, so that was a pain. I have installed XBMC on the ATV2, but have not been successful in getting it configured to access the movies on my NAS.

Overall, I am very happy with the ATV2. There is almost NO issue with playing files, movies or music. PLUS, the ease of use is a BIG factor for me since the wife and kids also have to use it.

I did make the mistake of watching XBMC on a Mac mini and was VERY impressed. This combination is a FAR better solution then the ATV2, but it also costs $500 more than the ATV2. The only "mistake" is now I want this setup. The difference between the two is like the difference between eating a steak at a local diner or at a steak house. They will both fill you up, but if you can afford it, the steak house will provide a MUCH better meal.

You can use iTunes on the Mac mini for music or go all out and use JRiver Media Center. On the video side XBMC is an excellent option and only getting better. The form factor of the Mac mini is very nice since it is so small and quiet, and the power draw is very low.

Edit:
Sorry, forgot to mention the web browsing. This should be considered a given since the Mac mini has full browser capabilities.

The mac mini is nice but way expensive for an xbmc box.
A home built PC like this for less than half the price:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=114896
will run xbmc perfectly.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #16 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

The mac mini is nice but way expensive for an xbmc box.
A home built PC like this for less than half the price:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=114896
will run xbmc perfectly.

I use a Mac Mini for a variety of things, including XBMC. I also have a Shuttle silent system Ion based system. You can always build things but the savings, if any, are not worth it to everyone. There are warranty issues, time, hassles, I/o ( getting the right ir solution) and so on. We are talking about a fairly expensive hobby with video. The Mini is one of the best HTPC's you can get. It is silent (unlike many other i5 systems), not expensive and can be used for a lot more. My Shuttle system is really nice. But I had to buy windows 7, add memory, add 2.5" hard drive, add ir solution, add Bluetooth. In the end it was a couple of hundred less than a Mini. The warranty is basically useless, it's nowhere near as useful as a Mini, etc ...

It really depends if you like assembling systems. I used to. Now it's just not my cup of tea. Complete HTPC's are not cheaper than the Mini by much.

The one issue when it comes to the Mini is Apple's attitude towards Blu-ray. They seem to view it in a less than favorable light and so if you are into that then ...

A Mac Mini with Remote Buddy is one heck of a nice attachment to a TV. The ATV2 is nice but not in the same league.

philip

Edit: Just had a look at the asrock based collection of pieces. This shouldn't even be considered in the same paragraph as a Mini. Look at it. Moreover I find it amusing how operating systems and other essentials seem to never be included. Frankly seems like fun as a weekend hobby, but I personally can't take it seriously. I did notice the fan though. Whisper quiet no doubt.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page