New HT Build - Seeking Media Streamer Solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks. I am a newbie to this group...I am sure ya'll can help me out....TIA!

I am nearly finished with my new HT build, 115 inch Epson 6010, Integra 80.3 Pre/Pro, Outlaw 7700 amp, B&W's all around, dual Rythmik subs. I am quite happy with what I have assembled so far and am looking forward to many hours of listening and viewing pleasure.

I currently have a library of about 400 ripped CD's (WMA) and about 200 DVD's (AnyDVD to Video_TS folders). I would like to continue ripping content to a library with the obvious induction of BD disks and 3D BD....but I want to be sure I am heading down the right path before I start up again...especially if I need to re-rip!

At this point I am torn between investing in a dedicated BD player (Oppo 93) and a Media Server that can meet my needs...and my demands are high. I may end up doing both but before I go that route I want to ping the group for their thoughts....

I guess my wish list is not all that uncommon these days:

HDMI 1.4
3D Support
BD - I haven't ripped any yet
DVD
SACD - These are not currently ripped...I also have a few DVD-A discs
Easy menu system for wife
Remote Control - iPad would be cool
Cover art
Chapter control
Jog support - FF, Rev, Pause....
External Content - VUDU, Netflix, Youtube

In terms of replay - I want perfection - nothing short of what I would see/hear from a dedicated player (if that is possible). I love listening to music and can be quite critical at times and video playing on a 115 inch screen doesn't leave much room for error.

I am keeping my eye on the new Dune HD Pro player...anything else out there that I should be looking at? I am not against building my own HTPC ('been there-done that') but unless a lot has changed recently this approach is probably just too complex for my HT needs (spouse'le control being the main reason!).

Thx and I look forward to following this forum....

Regards,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

Hi Folks. I am a newbie to this group...I am sure ya'll can help me out....TIA!

I am nearly finished with my new HT build, 115 inch Epson 6010, Integra 80.3 Pre/Pro, Outlaw 7700 amp, B&W's all around, dual Rythmik subs. I am quite happy with what I have assembled so far and am looking forward to many hours of listening and viewing pleasure.

I currently have a library of about 400 ripped CD's (WMA) and about 200 DVD's (AnyDVD to Video_TS folders). I would like to continue ripping content to a library with the obvious induction of BD disks and 3D BD....but I want to be sure I am heading down the right path before I start up again...especially if I need to re-rip!

At this point I am torn between investing in a dedicated BD player (Oppo 93) and a Media Server that can meet my needs...and my demands are high. I may end up doing both but before I go that route I want to ping the group for their thoughts....

I guess my wish list is not all that uncommon these days:

HDMI 1.4
3D Support
BD - I haven't ripped any yet
DVD
SACD - These are not currently ripped...I also have a few DVD-A discs
Easy menu system for wife
Remote Control - iPad would be cool
Cover art
Chapter control
Jog support - FF, Rev, Pause....
External Content - VUDU, Netflix, Youtube

In terms of replay - I want perfection - nothing short of what I would see/hear from a dedicated player (if that is possible). I love listening to music and can be quite critical at times and video playing on a 115 inch screen doesn't leave much room for error.

I am keeping my eye on the new Dune HD Pro player...anything else out there that I should be looking at? I am not against building my own HTPC ('been there-done that') but unless a lot has changed recently this approach is probably just too complex for my HT needs (spouse'le control being the main reason!).

Thx and I look forward to following this forum....

Hey Chris......welcome. All of your needs are pretty much standard fare, except for the future need to rip/store BD movies. Other here will disagree but coming from a dedicated HT environment like you, a standalone BD player offered the better option supplemented by a media player for stored music and standard def DVDs. I chose the Apple TV as the supplement device and control it with an iPad and iTouch which I've also setup to control my other gear. Since you have T/S folders already, your movies can easily be converted to iTunes format using Handbrake freeware. The ATVs interface for stored iTunes media is excellent as is the Netflix interface.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mayhem, did you jailbreak your appletv?

My Specs:

Sony KDF55WF655 HDTV | Pioneer VSX1015TX Receiver | JBL SCS180SC 6.1 Surround Speakers | DirecTV HR20 | HTPC | PlayStation3
post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM

I'll probably get yelled at for this but a Boxee Box will do everything except chapters. It may do those as well, I have not looked into it.

There have been lots of complains about BB (as I suppose with any product) but mine has been rock solid. The interface is very wife-friendly, as is the remote that comes with it and the iphone and ipad apps.

I use mine mostly for accessing 4 terrabytes of video on my NAS and for watching Netflix, VUDU, etc. The video browsing experience for local content as wells Netflix is great.

Another virtue is that the BB does a very good job of finding, content on the network, getting metadata for it, and presenting it in an easy to browse/sort format.

FYI I'm pretty sure ATV does not support BD or 3D at the current time, and it is MUCH pickier about media formats than other players.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post

I'll probably get yelled at for this but a Boxee Box will do everything except chapters. It may do those as well, I have not looked into it.

There have been lots of complains about BB (as I suppose with any product) but mine has been rock solid. The interface is very wife-friendly, as is the remote that comes with it and the iphone and ipad apps.

I use mine mostly for accessing 4 terrabytes of video on my NAS and for watching Netflix, VUDU, etc. The video browsing experience for local content as wells Netflix is great.

Another virtue is that the BB does a very good job of finding, content on the network, getting metadata for it, and presenting it in an easy to browse/sort format.

FYI I'm pretty sure ATV does not support BD or 3D at the current time, and it is MUCH pickier about media formats than other players.

Hahahahaha.....no, no yelling as your post is quite honest. The Boxie does a lot of good things. I didn't choose it because of the Apple AirPlay and that damn cube is sooooo ugly.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post

Mayhem, did you jailbreak your appletv?

Nope....and I don't think I will until......?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Some interesting options out there....Over the weekend I did decide not to go the Oppo route just yet...I got a free Sony BDP-S580 player when I ordered my Panamax 5300 so I have a decent player to use as a reference device in my new HT. I will be looking more into a streamer now. After thinking about it I really care mostly about streaming my music library - I have tons of music. I would guess all my DVD's are on Vudu or Netflix anyway and I doubt DVD quality is going to cut it on my 115 in screen. Question...is it possible to have my Integra 80.3 do the video/audio D-A conversion using a device such as an ATV or Dune or WTV? It seems to be the Integra's DAC's are far superior to all these.

Regards,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page