*Official* Pioneer N-50 Network Audio Player Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 324 Old 03-21-2014, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Cebolla - Thanks so much for the advice, and the time and energy. Much appreciated. Understood about network streaming. And understood about library management & interface, that is a biggie.

As I'm an Apple guy I've followed up on folks using a mac mini w/back up (or not). For $400 the Airplay gives 3T & a decent (to me) wifi base station. To manage & play they use Itunes with a hifi plugin & an Ipad for a controller. Done & dusted. My Macbook & iPad3 have been rock solid, iphone not so much. I have the iPad & need the extra storage so no real cost there. 1T mini is $800.

That would have me using the N50 primarily as a DAC...for the cost I could nearly get a decent entry level hifi amp with internal DAC...maybe time to ditch the ancient NAD which is waiting for me in FLA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 324 Old 04-27-2014, 12:10 PM

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help.

I intend on using the front USB input on the N50 for accessing my music. I realise its a streamer but a NAS is out of the question for me as my residence won't permit it.

Anyway, USB sticks work fine.

However, I tried a USB powered hard drive and it would not work. I then tried 2 external hard drives (wall outlet powered) and that was a no go too. All drives formatted to FAT32.

In the manual it says external drives are not supported but according to some forums online they do actually work.

On the N50 it states it provides 5v/2.1a of usb power but ive tried external drives that are powered from the wall outlet so I don't understand why it still refuses to work.

Anyone else successfully using any kind of hard drive connected directly to their N50? Any other ideas?!

Any help appreciated, Thanks.

post #303 of 324 Old 04-29-2014, 03:01 AM

Did you try some other usb cable? I had problem with one 6" cable, all others are working fine.

post #304 of 324 Old 04-29-2014, 02:55 PM

nino69-Thanks for replying!

Ive tried everything, swapping the cables round did'nt make any difference!

I have also noticed that my N50 only accepts USB 2.0 memory sticks and nothing else, no USB 3.0 devices of any kind! Is my N50 busted??

Can anyone tell me the brand/model of an external hard drive that is working with their N50 because I am really at a loss :confused: 

post #305 of 324 Old 04-30-2014, 05:31 AM

I have WD Green 1TB WD10EZRX + Canyon CN-HDD35SA1 http://www.canyon-tech.com/archive/storage/enclosures/CN-HDD35SA1 and old Seagate 200gb ATA+IcyBox http://www.ciao.co.uk/RaidSonic_ICY_BOX_IB_351_U__6487306

post #306 of 324 Old 04-30-2014, 09:55 AM

Ive worked it out, none of my hard drives worked because the FAT32 program I used was using a high file allocation amount.

Reducing the amount to 8192 has fixed this issue and all my drives work now.

Many thanks nino69 for your help :)

post #307 of 324 Old 05-17-2014, 01:22 PM

Ok, l'm a newbie, Once you get the front USB working, how do the files show up, eg, are Album track numbers in order? Can you go back and forward within a folder, does it recognised any tags at all? I only ask, as l'm looking to rip my cd collection to wav or Alff, and would prefer to access via a Hd, as l use NAS for mp3 wireless, and secondly having read about issues with WD and Pioneer
units, it would make life easier.
Or it possible to just connect a NAS straight into the back of the LAN, and provided l have say tags on my audio files, it will work?
post #308 of 324 Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 PM

Hi folks,

Interesting thread from what I've read so far.

I'm quite new to music streaming and high resolution audio (though I am steadily trying to build my collection of dvd-a & hd downloads). So to improve my setup I recently got myself an N-50 which I'm very pleased with overall (superb sound quality). I do have a peculiar issue though and was wondering if anyone here may be able to shed any light on it.

Internet radio is fine, iPod input is fine, optical (toslink) is fine and the music server is mostly fine. The problem is when I use the digital USB input, sometimes it works perfectly and other times the N-50 will not 'see' the computer. I have the latest firmware and I've tried different USB cables, different ports on the computer and resetting the N-50 none of which seems to work (though resetting it did work today for the first time!). It is a strange problem as it is intermittent, quite often it just works but when it doesn't it is really frustrating.

Has anyone come across this issue or have any ideas?

post #309 of 324 Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 AM

Spotify support? Hey guys I a newbie just about to purchase a n50. Can somebody help me understand what the spotify compatibility is like. Does the upgraded firmware support spotify connect or is the only spotify interface via Apple airplay on an iPad etc. Please help as I potentially could be be making a big mistake. Thanks
post #310 of 324 Old 05-27-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellabagpuss View Post

Ok, l'm a newbie, Once you get the front USB working, how do the files show up, eg, are Album track numbers in order? Can you go back and forward within a folder, does it recognised any tags at all? I only ask, as l'm looking to rip my cd collection to wav or Alff, and would prefer to access via a Hd, as l use NAS for mp3 wireless, and secondly having read about issues with WD and Pioneer
units, it would make life easier.
Or it possible to just connect a NAS straight into the back of the LAN, and provided l have say tags on my audio files, it will work?
Unfortunately, the N-50 hasn't got a built-in music library, so it doesn't scan the files on the connected USB drive for tags. So you use the physical folder/file system for navigating. Back & forward navigation of the music files in the same folder is supported, but the order of the files is alphabetical by file name, I think (haven't tried this for a while). So you have to make sure you place the file tracks of the same album in the same folder on the drive and prefix the file name with the track number (most CD ripper software can do this for you automatically).

Doesn't your NAS have a USB input to connect the USB drive to? You could then possibly use its built-in UPnP/DLNA media server to provide the N-50 with 'proper' catalogued tracks, over the network, just like the mp3 ones.

You should be able to connect the N-50 to the NAS via ethernet cable. However you'll need to hard set both devices' IP addresses to the same the same subnet and possibly need to use an ethernet cross over cable, instead of a normal. Also, you I'll only be able to control the N-50 with its remote or buttons on the box and not the control app, this way.

BTW, if the issues with WD USB drives you are referring to are those mentioned in the last few posts, that's all to do with making sure the drive is formatted in a standard way in FAT32. It applies to all USB drives connected to the N-50, not just WD ones.
post #311 of 324 Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Zydeco View Post

Hi folks,

Interesting thread from what I've read so far.

I'm quite new to music streaming and high resolution audio (though I am steadily trying to build my collection of dvd-a & hd downloads). So to improve my setup I recently got myself an N-50 which I'm very pleased with overall (superb sound quality). I do have a peculiar issue though and was wondering if anyone here may be able to shed any light on it.

Internet radio is fine, iPod input is fine, optical (toslink) is fine and the music server is mostly fine. The problem is when I use the digital USB input, sometimes it works perfectly and other times the N-50 will not 'see' the computer. I have the latest firmware and I've tried different USB cables, different ports on the computer and resetting the N-50 none of which seems to work (though resetting it did work today for the first time!). It is a strange problem as it is intermittent, quite often it just works but when it doesn't it is really frustrating.

Has anyone come across this issue or have any ideas?
I don't really use the DAC digital USB input, so have only tried it a few times, without seeing those problems you've mentioned. If you are using a Windows computer, make sure you are using the latest Pioneer USB audio drivers for it. The plug and play mechanism should tell you just after the N-50 has been connected, that it's been recognised by Windows.

What type of computer are you using? I don't use Macs, but I do know the latest ones automatically support USB audio 2.0, so don't require a Pioneer driver to be installed. I would have thought you get a similar message to Windows when you connect the N-50 to them.
post #312 of 324 Old 05-27-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premack View Post

Spotify support? Hey guys I a newbie just about to purchase a n50. Can somebody help me understand what the spotify compatibility is like. Does the upgraded firmware support spotify connect or is the only spotify interface via Apple airplay on an iPad etc. Please help as I potentially could be be making a big mistake. Thanks
Unfortunately, unlike the latest Pioneer AV receivers and network streaming speakers, the N-50 doesn't support Spotify Connect. So, the only way to stream to it from these sorts of services is indirectly via sound capture, such as using as you suggest Airplay when using Spotify on an iPad, with the N-50 set as the Airplay speaker.

You can also use UPnP/DLNA network streaming too, depending on the device you are playing Spotify on. For example the free sound capturing Stream What You Hear (SWYH) UPnP/DLNA server can network stream the Spotify sound coming from a Windows computer to the N-50. Note that this can be the sound coming from any software running on the computer, not just Spotify.
post #313 of 324 Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 PM

Thanks for putting me straight...been humming harring over this for months now :) does anybody have any experience of the effect on the sound quality of spotify via airplay? - I currently use a Squeezebox Duet via Yamaha AX392 Amp and it sounds pretty good, will I notice the difference? God bless my old squeezebox, its been good to me but started to give up on me, hence the new streamer.

post #314 of 324 Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 AM

The sound quality of the N-50 compared to the Duet should be at least the same, if not better, given its superior build quality and internal components - especially DAC and power supply.

Streaming via Airplay from less than CD quality services , such as Spotify, should not affect sound quality, since it captures the sound as is and streams it at CD quality resolution. This means there should be no losses when streaming using Airplay, so long as the source music is of CD quality resolution or less.
post #315 of 324 Old 06-04-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I don't really use the DAC digital USB input, so have only tried it a few times, without seeing those problems you've mentioned. If you are using a Windows computer, make sure you are using the latest Pioneer USB audio drivers for it. The plug and play mechanism should tell you just after the N-50 has been connected, that it's been recognised by Windows.

What type of computer are you using? I don't use Macs, but I do know the latest ones automatically support USB audio 2.0, so don't require a Pioneer driver to be installed. I would have thought you get a similar message to Windows when you connect the N-50 to them.

Hi Cebolla, 

I use Macs so as you say a driver is not required. When it is working ok it shows up in the options for audio devices in System Preferences (equivalent of Control Panel) as Pioneer USB Audio Device but on the occasions I can't get it to work it doesn't show up at all & replugging in, resetting, changing cables etc. doesn't seem to change the situation & the N50 remains in hiding. It probably works at about 60% of the time at an estimate with the USB. I will probably be using the N50 primarily with it's ethernet connection in the future but it is always nice to have the option of USB and the fact that I only bought it recently makes it all the more disappointing that it's not quite functioning 100%.

I have now taken the N50 to an authorised service centre to get it checked out (it was just outside the warranty but Pioneer confirmed that they would honour it) so I'll get back with an update to let you know what happens.

post #316 of 324 Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Hi all

I dindnt find any way to gain volume contrôle on my  N-50, the output is driving a REGA box but my diferents DNLA software packages have no access to volume.

Any idea ?

I suppose that it is by design that the N-50 can't give access to gain control.   

regards

Loïc

post #317 of 324 Old 06-11-2014, 04:52 AM

Hi Loïc

Yes, unfortunately unlike some other network audio players, the N-50 doesn't have a built-in preamp, so cannot support volume control adjustments internally. You have to rely completely on the devices connected to its output for manual volume adjustment.

What output are you using on the N-50 and exactly what is the REGA 'box'?

John
post #318 of 324 Old 06-25-2014, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I'm a newbie to the media streaming game (but i'm learning fast!). I have just set up my NAS server and am embarking on the somewhat mammoth task of ripping my CD collection - with it in mind to purchase the N-50 in the near future.

I have a question regarding HDCD 24-bit content and how the N-50 handles the files.

I am ripping with dbPoweramp and have the option to rip my HDCDs with the HDCD DSP, therefore creating a 24-bit file, or leaving the HDCD files as 16-bit with the hi-rez info encoded into the file.

Can the N-50 read the 16-bit (HDCD) files and perform it's own decoding and output 24-bit audio (like a compatible DAC would) - Or do I need to decode my 24-bit music at the ripping stage and let the N-50 play the file as it finds it?

I hope this rambling makes some kind of sense and someone can clear this up for me!

Many thanks.

Last edited by hellboyberry; 06-25-2014 at 03:19 AM.
post #319 of 324 Old 06-25-2014, 12:50 PM

Hi hellboyberry,

I think you'll be hard pushed to find any network audio player with built-in support of HDCD. Even the hybrid network streamers/disk players which can play HDCD disks, such as some Oppo models, aren't able to play native HDCD files when network streaming.

Unfortunately, the N-50 doesn't decode HDCD files - its matching Pioneer disk player, the PD-50, can't even play HDCD disks. So, you'll need to use dbPoweramp's HDCD DSP and you should then be able to play back the resulting 24 bit file on the N-50.

John

Last edited by Cebolla; 06-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.
post #320 of 324 Old 06-25-2014, 03:08 PM

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Onwards and Upwards with the DSP! That's good to know.

Thanks again.
post #321 of 324 Old 07-19-2014, 04:31 AM

N50 vs squeezebox duet.

Hi
I am currently using a squeezebox box duet with an external beresford dac playing flac files from a server pc.Will I notice any audio or functionality improvement with the N50.
Any comments will be appreciated.
post #322 of 324 Old 07-19-2014, 05:56 AM

Network Audio Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubby1 View Post
I am currently using a squeezebox box duet with an external beresford dac playing flac files from a server pc. Will I notice any audio or functionality improvement with the N50?
Unlikely; I have owned a Pioneer N-50 and would not recommend it.

Network Audio Players: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/DAP.htm
post #323 of 324 Old 08-19-2014, 12:32 AM

Jukebox radio station streaming

Hi Cebolla
I have problem to stream radio station Jukebox radio [it is at vTuner list and I am registered there] from my N-50 Pioneer player. It was streaming before but no more. Strange is I can stream it from my laptop. Could you test if it is working from other N-50 player or to help me to solve the problem? thanks

Last edited by micmic; 08-19-2014 at 03:37 AM.
post #324 of 324 Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Hi again Micmic,

I did a search for the Jukebox Radio on the vTuner site, the best match I could find was the one from Greece - hope it's the right one. I tested that station on my N-50 and there certainly seems to be a problem. It briefly displays the station's logo, but doesn't play the stream and instead connects and plays the stream for next station on the vTuner Greek station list.

I've also tried both the 320k & 192k official mp3 streams on the N-50, listed on the jbradio.eu site, by adding them to my vTuner member login's Added Stations list. These streams also don't work - get an "Unspecified Error" on the N-50's display. However the 128k AAC+ stream does function on my N-50, so it should also work on your vTuner's Added Station's list:
http://jbradio.eu/links/m3u/128_aac.m3u

BTW, when you manually add a station in vTuner, one of the fields to enter is (stream) Type. For some reason, there's only two choices MP3 & Windows Media - so no AAC/AAC+. However if you select MP3, it doesn't seem to bother vTuner nor the Pioneer!

It may be worth you contacting Pioneer support, since the recent N-50/N-30 firmware update was supposed to have corrected some previous internet radio streaming problems and that 'fix' might now be causing some other problems. It's probably no coincidence that you've noticed the Jukebox Radio stop working if you've recently updated with the latest firmware.

John
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Network Audio Player N 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page