post #331 of 347 Old 09-02-2014, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrad Babaee View Post
Solved ...

I disconnected the N50 from the power for 10 minutes. After turning it on it worked fine ..

I did do turn it off several times before, but only disconnecting from the power did the job ...
Yes, if in doubt make sure you do a 'proper' cold restart. Probably too many variables to conclude what to pin the blame on, what with the new firmware and driver install. Presumably you checked the music player software you were using wasn't just bypassing the Windows sound mixer and doing its own thing to the output?

John

Last edited by Cebolla; 09-02-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 347 Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Artwork not show on N-30 with lastest FW 1.038 !

I created some files label folder.jpg, cover.jpg with size 160x160 or 300x300 on folder album from HDtracks.

1. First, I test by usb flash on usb front of N-30. It played file fine but no artwork on LCD N-30

2. 2nd, I test by Music server from Serviio. It also didn't show artwork.

Anybody can help me ?

Thx
post #333 of 347 Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 AM

Solved : Artwork not show on N-30 with lastest FW 1.038 !

I used Minimserver DLNA. Now cover art showed on N-30.
post #334 of 347 Old 09-21-2014, 11:36 PM

ControlApp for iOS 8

Is there any word on a new version of ControlApp for iOS? The iOS 8 update prevents ControlApp from running on iPad at all. (Instant crash on launch.) The app has even disappeared from the Apple App Store, which is not an encouraging sign.
post #335 of 347 Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 AM

The Pioneer ControlApp has been optimised for phone use, so the possible reason why you can't see it on the Apple App Store is because you need to search for it on your iPad as an iPhone only app. Can't remember if this feature was always the case, as I normally use the Android version on my Sony phone.

Haven't got iOS 8 installed, but the latest iOS version of the Pioneer ControlApp (3.2.0 - 18 August 2014 update), certainly works ok on the wife's iPad with iOS 7.

Last edited by Cebolla; 09-23-2014 at 01:51 AM.
post #336 of 347 Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 AM

Liked: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
The Pioneer ControlApp has been optimised for phone use, so the possible reason why you can't see it on the Apple App Store is because you need to search for it on your iPad as an iPhone only app. Can't remember if this feature was always the case, as I normally use the Android version on my Sony phone.

Haven't got iOS 8 installed, but the latest iOS version of the Pioneer ControlApp (3.2.0 - 18 August 2014 update), certainly works ok on the wife's iPad with iOS 7.
I have been using my IPOD touch lately and all is ok. I just tried the IPAD 4 with ios 8 installed and there was a network error on the N50.
It asked me to set it up again, I did. Closed it down, re opened and it all works ok now.
post #337 of 347 Old 10-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a Pioneer SC-LX78 receiver with many of these features included I think. Would I benefit from buying the N-50.
Thanks
post #338 of 347 Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 AM

I don't think you'd benefit from the N-50, unless you only need it for the one feature the SC-LX78 doesn't have - its USB DAC input (for using it as an external DAC to a computer). Even then you're probably better off getting a good quality audio USB to S/PDIF converter and connecting that to your AVR.

Otherwise, on paper, the SC-LX78 can do everything the N-50 can as a streamer, plus more: built-in wireless & bluetooth (which also includes aptX support), DSD file playback, Spotify connect, AM/FM tuner, etc.

Last edited by Cebolla; 10-16-2014 at 05:21 AM.
post #339 of 347 Old 11-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have spent the last couple hours reading this entire thread. Lots of great information but I didn't find what I was looking for. If I decide to use BubbleUPnp or similar app to control my N30, does it affect the sound quality? I'm assuming the answer is no as I believe it is simply sending commands to the player and not actually streaming the music.
post #340 of 347 Old 11-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Yes, BubbleUPnP and other UPnP/DLNA control point apps just send UPnP playback commands to control the streamer's music playback, so doesn't affect sound quality. IMO, BubbleUPnP is the best app for this purpose on Android. For iPad, the free Lightning DS app (made for the high-end Auralic Aries streamer, but can be used for other UPnP/DLNA streamers) would be a good one to use.

Only problem is that gapless is no longer supported by the N-30 (and the N-50) if it is not used with its own Pioneer ControlApp. Not a real problem really as you could use the ControlApp for gapless album playbacks and swap over to BubbleUPnP, say, for everything else.
post #341 of 347 Old 11-10-2014, 09:11 PM

Liked: 11
I will soon be acquiring an SC-89. I am newbie to music streaming, but was interested in playing around some. I have an opportunity to get an N-50 for about $300, so I was considering it. I figured that the N-50 would integrate well with the Pioneer AV receiver. HOwever, looking at some of the other posts, I see that it may not necessarily be the best option. I am not going to ask for the "best" setup, but I am interested in knowing what other options I have. My AV area is hardwired via cat 6 into my gigabit network. I have a Netgear Nighthawk router, so that should not be a problem. I have a synology diskstation that I could use as a music server and while I would like to be able to access the music on my PC (over the network), the PC is not a server per se, and I wasn't really planning on setting it up as one. I don't have a PC in my AV area so using the USB DAC input on the receiver is not really an option I was considering.

Are there any other options I should be looking at other than the N-50 if I only want to pay $300 or less? Thanks for any help.
post #342 of 347 Old 11-12-2014, 06:07 AM

There should be no need to get an N-50 (nor any other streamer for that matter) to integrate with the Pioneer SC-89 AVR. This is because the SC-89 has all of the N-50's streaming functions (and more) already built-in! So, for example, just like the N-50 it can stream music files, via UPnP/DLNA, from your Synology diskstation NAS and from your PC.

There should be no problem network streaming the music stored on your PC to the SC-89, in the same way as you can from the Synology NAS. The PC doesn't have to be a permanently switched on 'server' like the Synology NAS and there should be no reason why you couldn't use it even if occasionally for that purpose. Just remember to power the PC up and make sure its connected to the network, when you need it!

In fact, for consistency you could run the same excellent free music UPnP media server to provide the music files for the AVR, MinimServer, as it can be installed on Synology NASs and PCs, see:
http://minimserver.com/index.html

Last edited by Cebolla; 11-12-2014 at 06:13 AM.
post #343 of 347 Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
There should be no need to get an N-50 (nor any other streamer for that matter) to integrate with the Pioneer SC-89 AVR. This is because the SC-89 has all of the N-50's streaming functions (and more) already built-in! So, for example, just like the N-50 it can stream music files, via UPnP/DLNA, from your Synology diskstation NAS and from your PC.

There should be no problem network streaming the music stored on your PC to the SC-89, in the same way as you can from the Synology NAS. The PC doesn't have to be a permanently switched on 'server' like the Synology NAS and there should be no reason why you couldn't use it even if occasionally for that purpose. Just remember to power the PC up and make sure its connected to the network, when you need it!

In fact, for consistency you could run the same excellent free music UPnP media server to provide the music files for the AVR, MinimServer, as it can be installed on Synology NASs and PCs, see:
http://minimserver.com/index.html
Thanks Cebolla! Appreciate the advice!

I will definitely give that UPnP server a try as my PC is on most of the time anyway. I have little experience with server software, so this is a chance to get my feet wet.
post #344 of 347 Old 11-15-2014, 05:29 AM

Help...please!

I'm interested in purchasing the N-30 and can't find any information regarding this unit...majority of the reviews/forum threads are based on the N-50.

I'm looking to be able to stream my hi res flac & mp3 files to my Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K receiver which is my 2 channel set up for audio only.
This system consists of a Pioneer Elite DV-47A DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio Player for playback via analog output to the VSX-1018.
Also for vinyl playback I have the Technics M2 turntable with Shure 1200HRP cartridge.

My current home theater system has the Pioneer Elite VSX-52 and Oppo 93 streaming the files via PS3 Media Server without any issues...I would like the VSX-1018 to be able to do the same.
My audio files are all located on an external HD and connected to my iMac and will be streamed via PS3 Media Server program. Since the VSX-1018 doesn't have DLNA, I thinking that the Pioneer N-30 would be a good resolution.
Right now on eBay I can purchase the N-30 for $200 plus $25 for shipping NEW.

I'm unsure if I should proceed with the purchase.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
post #345 of 347 Old 11-16-2014, 10:16 AM

Hi Dragion,

The main difference between the two streamers is that the Pioneer N-30, unlike the N-50, doesn't have the digital inputs to allow its internal DAC to be used as an external DAC by another device. It also lacks the N-50's more solid build, the extra power transformer (for the DAC section) and audio processing modes.

However, their DAC chips are actually the same and they certainly share the same network streaming, internet radio and USB storage input playback capabities. Of course this means the N-30 also shares the N-50's problems (where applicable), see my earlier post (#97) in this thread:
*Official* Pioneer N-50 Network Audio Player Thread
For network streaming its main problem is its lack of fast forward/back / slider positioning within a music track. Also gapless playback is not supported if you don't use the Pioneer ControlApp or its remote control / buttons on the box.

If you can put up with its short comings, $225 all in sounds like a good deal for a new decent network audio player, IMO. It should have no problems network streaming and playing back your hi-res FLAC & MP3 files stored in the USB drive that's connected to the iMac. I would, however, suggest using a different UPnP/DLNA server to the PS3 Media Server for it on the iMac. The PMS is a decent enough allrounder, but is mainly geared towards video, especially for its excellent transcoding capabilities and renderer/player profile setups. A more suitable UPnP media server to use would be the music dedicated (& free) MinimServer, available here:
http://minimserver.com/features.html
You should be able to run PMS alongside MinimServer, if you are using PMS for something else, even if both applications have the same meda files linked into their media libraries.

Hope this all helps
John

Last edited by Cebolla; 11-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.
post #346 of 347 Old 11-16-2014, 11:32 PM

Thanks John for the very helpful information!

I had an issue with the eBay seller based on poor communication on their part, so I wasn't able to purchase the N-30.

I have came across another solution using my Sony Vaio Duo 13 laptop and have it directly connected to the Pioneer VSX-1080 via HDMI.
I downloaded Foobar2000 and using that to play my files via wifi from the external HD.

This question does not apply to the related subject on this thread, but I would like to know if there is a better solution in order to receive the best sound with minimal cost.
Is the built in DAC good enough or is there an external DAC that has HDMI output work better...mind you, budget is a major issue.

Any suggestions and/or directions on how & what to do will be great.
post #347 of 347 Old 11-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion View Post
Thanks John for the very helpful information!

I had an issue with the eBay seller based on poor communication on their part, so I wasn't able to purchase the N-30.

I have came across another solution using my Sony Vaio Duo 13 laptop and have it directly connected to the Pioneer VSX-1080 via HDMI.
I downloaded Foobar2000 and using that to play my files via wifi from the external HD.

This question does not apply to the related subject on this thread, but I would like to know if there is a better solution in order to receive the best sound with minimal cost.
Is the built in DAC good enough or is there an external DAC that has HDMI output work better...mind you, budget is a major issue.

Any suggestions and/or directions on how & what to do will be great.
http://schiit.com/products/modi
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Network Audio Player N 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page