*Official* Pioneer N-50 Network Audio Player Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #391 of 400 Old 09-10-2016, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiete View Post
Hello from Europe!
I own the whole series: N50, N50A and N70A. The all work like a charm. My favourite is the N50A, since it sounds as good as the 70A, but at a fraction of the latter's price.
The 50A and 70A are respectively wired to a Fritz!Box 7390router with a WD NAS and a Fritz!Box 7490 router each with two Synology NAS'. Spotless!
The older 50 is wired to a Netgear router with a smallish WD NAS, but great nonetheless.
For the three I use the iPad app on an iPad Air 2 and the corresponding Android app on various Android phones. Everything alright within the limits of the app, which could be a lot more complete.
Thanks for the very informative post! I guess you could use BubbleUPnP control app instead of official Pioneer app.

Do you hear any improvements in sound quality between all three Pioneers and how graduate are these improvements? I'm especially interested in sound differences btw 50 and 50A since 70A is balanced and in an another league. Too bad 'A' models still not available to this point in US for some reason...
What are the components down the chain, in another words what's your reference listening system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 400 Old 09-18-2016, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer N50

Why internet radio station play much louder then other sources on my Pioneer N50
post #393 of 400 Old 09-18-2016, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made mistake . Radio stations played from Pioneer sound softer then other sources. I use analog connection to receiver.
post #394 of 400 Old 10-28-2016, 03:32 AM

Hi,

I have a Pionner N50-K since 2013 and I'm so far very satisfied with the sound quality. I use it always offline with a 2 TB Freecom HDD connected via front USB slot. Everything works well except I'm a bit disapponted with the slow browsing speed with the stock remote control (sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get through my vast FLAC library). I have a question if it's worth to invest in a AS-WL300 wireless module. I would like to install the Pioener iPad app to control my N50-K. Would it work? If so, will it make library browsing faster?
post #395 of 400 Old 10-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi Klonatans,

If all you are going to do is connect the N-50 to your network (either by wire with an ethernet cable or by WiFi with the AS-WL300 wireless module), ie, just so you can use the Pioneer ControlApp with your USB HDD still connected to the N-50, then it's not going to make any difference. The Pioneer ControlApp is just a substitute for the stock remote control. Also, the Pioneer ControlApp doesn't even have all of the remote control's functions, as you can only use it to select and control the N-50's inputs (so no advanced setup functions, etc).

If you really do want to speed up browsing and selecting your music files for playback on the N-50, then the only way is to get the music files managed by UPnP/DLNA media server running on another networked device. The UPnP/DLNA media server uses an internal database to manage the music file library, allowing browsing via music categories (such as album, artist, genre, etc), so long as your music files have been correctly tagged with data matching those categories. My recommendation for a UPnP/DLNA media server is the excellent free music file dedicated MinimServer:
http://minimserver.com/features.html

You could use a networked computer to run the UPnP/DLNA media server and either attach your existing USB HDD to it or copy its music files to the computer's own hard drive. This does mean you need to make sure the computer is switched on every time you want the N-50 to play those music files. That's why some people prefer to use a low power network storage device instead of a desktop computer or laptop, that can be left on 24/7 to run the UPnP/DLNA media server, such as a NAS (Networked Attached Storage).

You could even, if you are ok with a bit of (minor) DIY, run a UPnP/DLNA media server on a tiny low cost, efficient & reliable networked computer such as a Raspberry Pi. It's quite straight forward to install MinimServer on a Raspberry Pi and attach a USB HDD to.

The N-50 supports accessing UPnP/DLNA media servers over the network for playback of their music file libraries in two distinct modes:-

1. As a Digital Media Player (DMP), aka 'pull' mode, where the N-50 itself is doing the browsing of the UPnP/DLNA media server's music library via the N-50's Music Server input. So either using the buttons on the box or the stock remote control or the Pioneer ControlApp. In DMP mode the N-50 supports gapless playback. However, the N-50 as a DMP provides a very basic user interface to access the chosen Music Server with:
you can only navigate via the music library's music category folder structure;
it doesn't provide the ability to search individual music file tracks;
the current playlist is always the set of music file tracks at the end of the folder stucture that you've navigated to;
it doesn't allow you to build a playlist using tracks across different folders;
it doesn't allow you to save playlists (nor therefore retrieve previously saved playlists);
no album art displayed on the Pioneer ControlApp, only on the N-50's onboard display.

2. As a Digital Media Renderer (DMR), aka 'push' mode, where the N-50 is told which music files to fetch from the UPnP media server's music library by a third party app that supports being used as a UPnP/DLNA controller, aka UPnP control point, aka Digital Media Controller (DMC). Unfortunately, the N-50 doesn't support gapless playback in DMR mode. However, depending on the chosen (third party) UPnP/DLNA controller app, you'll get a much more sophisticated user interface compared to the Pioneer ControlApp/stock remote control with the N-50's screen, which can include:
ability to search for individual file tracks;
ability to build a mixed playlist, using tracks from any folder;
ability to save playlists & retrieve the saved playlists;
album art displays.

John

Last edited by Cebolla; 10-29-2016 at 02:42 PM.
post #396 of 400 Old 10-30-2016, 09:44 AM

Hi John,

many thanks for the comprehensive advice! Maybe it's really time to go that way instead of the simplicity I've preferred so far. By the way have you heard any sound quality improvement when using a network attached device compared to a USB thumb drive? The N50 is a really lovely sounding device. I recently tested it against Naim CD5i and iBasso DX80 portable player and the Pioneer machine was a clear winner with very balanced and mature sound signature compared to the overly dry and analytical Naim CD player and the uncontrolled and boomy lower frequencies of the iBasso DAP via line-out. I've got another streamer, namely Musical Fidelity M1 Clic. While it is better than N50, the Pioneer is not far away for a fraction of cost.

Best regards,
Maris
post #397 of 400 Old 11-23-2016, 11:41 AM

click problem

hello everyone,
i recently bought the N50 2nd hand, and unfortunately noticed a problem. When i play wave files (44,1 and 16 bits) from my HDD (Toshiba 750 GO, USB3) i notice, from time to time a click sound or the impression that i am playing an old vinyl. I replaced the stock usb cable by a Audioquest Cinamon with no luck.

Has anyone heard of such a problem ?

Thanks

Nico
post #398 of 400 Old 11-27-2016, 10:46 AM

Hi Nico,

I've never had this problem, though it's been a while since I've tried my N-50 with a USB storage for the music file source and don't remember it being mentioned anywhere. I mostly use network streaming from a UPnP/DLNA media server's music library or occasionally use AirPlay (so again via the network).

Are you getting the same problem with UPnP/DLNA network playing the same music files that are on your USB drive?
Did you update the N-50 to its latest firmware, version 1.038 from the correct region?

US site
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...omponents/N-50

European site
http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/uk...are_update/200

They'll probably supply the same file (NAP12Main _1038.zip), but best download the one for the N-50 from your region, just in case!

John

Last edited by Cebolla; 11-27-2016 at 10:57 AM.
post #399 of 400 Old 11-27-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonatans View Post
Hi John,

many thanks for the comprehensive advice! Maybe it's really time to go that way instead of the simplicity I've preferred so far. By the way have you heard any sound quality improvement when using a network attached device compared to a USB thumb drive? The N50 is a really lovely sounding device. I recently tested it against Naim CD5i and iBasso DX80 portable player and the Pioneer machine was a clear winner with very balanced and mature sound signature compared to the overly dry and analytical Naim CD player and the uncontrolled and boomy lower frequencies of the iBasso DAP via line-out. I've got another streamer, namely Musical Fidelity M1 Clic. While it is better than N50, the Pioneer is not far away for a fraction of cost.

Best regards,
Maris
Hi Maris,

Just spotted your follow up post, apologies about the delay in replying. It's been a while since I've tried my N-50's USB storage input, but I don't remember finding any difference in sound quality compared to network streaming the same audio files.

Since you've already got another streamer, then you were probably well aware of the UPnP/DLNA streaming features, especially with it being the pioneering Musical Fidelity M1 Clic (I remember the excellent reviews)! Sorry if my description of them seemed overstated.

BTW, did the M1 Clic's lack of gapless playback support & general operational unreliablity get sorted out in the end?

Last edited by Cebolla; 11-27-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #400 of 400 Old Today, 08:35 AM

click problem

Thanks for your reply John.

After many attemps and some massing googling, i come to the conclusion that the problem comes from the file which conversion was probably faulty. I tried the original flac file which played perfectly on the devices .

I feel kind of relieved that the problem did not come from the player .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Network Audio Player N 50