*Official* Pioneer N-50 Network Audio Player Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 320 Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I beg to differ on WD live. I have both the N50 and the WD. I used them with the following gear:

ROTEL SURROUND SOUND PROCESSOR RSP- 1098

2 BRYSTON 7B sst monoblocks

B&W nautilus speakers

Ι connected both via optical link, since after listening to the analogue of the N50 a decided to use ROTEL's converter.

The diference in favor of the N50 was noticeable but by no means justifying the extra buck, it sure delivers a feel good factor being silver ( that's how I liked it since I also collect old Pioneer receivers like the SX- 1250 etc and I play arround with speakers and systems in different rooms of the house )and heavy, looking the part etc but to call the WD " junky " because of that comparison ... Hmmm no!

Now down to business ( again) ... I use Mezzmo media player installed on a multi - core rack mount server.

After the " upgrade " all I got was gapless ( yes I can hear pink floyd without interruption ) something that the WD could not do, so paying for the N50 does not bother me as much as it did in the beginning .

iPad app: pure and simple : U S E L E S S !!!

First of, to get connected to the N50 is like answering the famous question : " do you feel lucky .... Punk ? " Because it does not connect 9.5 times out of..... 8!!!

There is no issue as to whether it displays art or other useful stuff, which it does ONLY if you compromise to listen to it using iTunes .....

Good effort but no cigar.... Sorry ! If I had to save up in order to buy it I would be very angry... I have communicated the same stuff to Pioneer after I registered my product but to no avail or reply.... I look at their past glories as I am writing this and I cannot avoid thinking: Whatever happened to " made in Japan " ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 320 Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

Erm, I don't think you can compare an A/V HD media player to a hifi stereo network audio player as thay have different purposes. The N-50 has an audiophile quality stereo DAC, is made from high quality components, and is specifically designed to output hifi quality analogue stereo sound to a hifi stereo amplifier. Ironically, you'd need to connect the N50 (or other box with at least a similar quality stereo DAC) between the NeoTV550's digital output and the stereo amplifier to get anywhere near the SOUND quality from any stereo music streamed via NeoTV!

You don't use the DAC in the NeoTV550! You bitstream out over their VERY LOW jitter HDMI to a quality preamp with a quality DAC built in.
post #93 of 320 Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 AM

Exactly....
post #94 of 320 Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Plus what really bugs me, and I forgot to mention earlier is, why on earth do I need to install a bloody media player? I just paid a lot of money for something that has no support at all!! WD LIVE updates and upgrades all the time without having to do anything fancy! It just communicates with WD servers because it has built in the correct media player an firmware ! With N50 I have to download to my laptop, save on a USB stick, and .... pray that the N50 sees it!! This is totally crap! It goes by default that a piece of equipment 7 times more expensive than WD should be doing ALL of the above and then some ...
post #95 of 320 Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

You don't use the DAC in the NeoTV550! You bitstream out over their VERY LOW jitter HDMI to a quality preamp with a quality DAC built in.

Goodness, I'm not sure how by confirming what I said to you in my last post, ie that you require a HQ DAC for the NeoTV550, you are still maintaining that it can be compared to the N-50. Or are you now saying that the less than $100 cost of the NeoTV550 you talked about in your first post on the subject now includes the quality DAC and preamp (plus connecting HDMI cable) you now mention?

Let me put it another way: The N-50 CAN be used as a standalone HIFI quality stereo DAC. The NeoTV550 CANNOT.

The price of the N-50 is the same as, if not less than, similar quality DAC only units. So, another way of looking at it is that you are getting its music file streaming capabilities for free! It is most unfortunate that the CONTROL of its streaming ability is not as good as it should/could be and is the hottest topic of the discussions here. However, nobody has yet to dispute the N-50's internal DAC capabilities, given its price.

Since you are aware of jitter, you should hopefully be able to appreciate the value of these HIFI boxes given that they have the ability to stream music files directly into their own HQ DACs. The jitter caused by having the box that's doing the streaming sending the resulting bitstream to a separate DAC box with its own independent clock can be reduced to very low values, with good quality components. However, it can be eliminated altogether if the streaming section & the HQ DAC are BOTH under the same master clock's control, as they are in the N-50. How cute is that? You are also getting a solution to the jitter problem for free!
post #96 of 320 Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 PM

I can only agree regarding the N50's audiophile qualities. It does sound superb.
However, the control app is seriously hampering my enjoyment. Having briefly flirted with Linn and Naim I can safely say that the Pioneer software is totally inadequate.
I have a sonos connect hooked up to the dac of my Naim Supernait at the moment, and although it doesn't sound as good as the N50, I am seriously considering ditching the Pioneer in favour of the Sonos because of it's sheer usability.

COME ON PIONEER!!!!!!!
post #97 of 320 Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 AM

I thought it might be useful to spend some time compiling a list of the N-50's current problems and requests (no order of importance intended).

A Using the Pioneer Control App:
Note (*) indicates problem also exists using N-50's remote control / buttons on the box .
1 iPad/iPhone app version network connection problems (Android app version not reported to have had this problem - certainly mine on a Sony Xperia S doesn't).
2 Lack of cover art / radio station art.
3 No fast forward, fast back and random positioning within track (*).
4 Lack of total track time and time to end of track indicators (*).
5 No ability to see Windows/SAMBA shared network folders to navigate through the file structure & play music files without a DLNA server, as can be done with the files in a drive directly connected to the N-50 via the front USB port (*).
6 No ability to create playlists / favourite groups of tracks both from network audio files & audio files from a drive connected to
the front USB input (*).
7 The Digital in USB (async USB DAC) input does not display bit depth (*).
8 The Digital in 1 & 2 (coaxial & optical S/PDIF DAC) inputs do not display sample rate and bit depth (*).
9 Require setup option for folder screen to playback screen timeout, currently hard set to 10 seconds (*).

B Using a Third party DLNA Controller App:
Note assumes the DLNA controller is only being used to push tracks to the N-50 from a DLNA server and can't account for features missing due to the app itself .
1 No gapless support (ie, via the official UPnP API SetNextAVTransportURI call).
2 No fast forward, fast back and random positioning within track.

C Other problems:
1 Front USB input only supports FAT formatted USB HDDs and memory drives/sticks.
2 USB HDDs can be connected to the front USB input (so long as they have a FAT formatted partition and have they're own power supply, ie, other than the USB port), HOWEVER:
The HDD gets signalled to spin down when another input other than the front USB is next selected. This means the folders and audio files on the HDD are no longer available when the front USB input is selected again. The HDD can be 'forced' to spin up again and its data re-read by the N-50, sometimes, by either putting the box in and out of standby or by pulling out & reinserting the HDD's USB cable. However, once this has failed the first time, usually by the second go, it is never achievable again. Restarting the HDD by switching it off and on again and getting it to spin back up that way does not sort the problem out, as the N-50 does not acknowledge it having restarted and thus does not read its data. The only way to get out of this mess is to restart the N-50 itself by its mains switch.
3 Hot swapping USB memory sticks sometimes makes them unreadable from the front USB input. Only sorted out by restarting the N-50.
4 The Digital in USB (async USB DAC) input does not currently support the 176.4kHz sample rate.
This is due to its use of the new popular and (otherwise) HQ USB audio class 2 (UAC2) interface chip, the C-Media CM6631. C-Media have dropped the 176.4kHz rate from the current official list of the capabilities of the CM6631, because it has proved to be incompatible interfacing with some types of computer USB port hardware. They have also introduced the even newer CM6631A chip, which has the same spec as the CM6631, but also comes corrected with native UAC2 support for 176.4kHz. Several attempts have been made by DAC manufacturers using the CM6631 to correct the lack of 176.4kHz, by combination of both firmware and Windows drivers for the computer, supplied by C-Media. Drivers need to be supplied to these types of machines, anyway, since no version of Windows fully supports UAC2. However as yet they have not been successful, though Pioneer's latest Windows USB audio drivers have been stated to support 176.4kHz since August last year. It's quite possible that this Windows driver fix may now be broken due to the recent firmware update reintroducing the problem, or it may not have worked with all types of interfacing Windows machine USB ports in the first place. Even if a fix is eventually found for supporting 176.4kHz by combination of firmware and Windows USB drivers, no mention has yet been made for providing something similar for Mac-OS connected machines, which have native UAC2 support without the need for third party drivers.
5 No automatic update to the firmware over the internet.

Please feel free to add to, amend and comment as necessary. I'm particularly interested in which of these problems are real show stoppers for you, with the intention of getting some feedback about them directly from Pioneer (hopefully). It would be great if you could give them some sort of priority order. Also of interest - how much of a pain is it really to use (or in some cases have to use) more than one app to control the N-50, given that the apps are most likely to be located on the same device? Please try to take into account your own device's ability (or lack of!) running apps at the same time / in the background.
post #98 of 320 Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Impossible to implement the USB update....

It's so stupid that there is a need to download updates to a computer when cheaper machines discover and install updates automatically....
post #99 of 320 Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Ok, I'll add lack of auto firmware update over the net to the list.

By the way, if you have not done so already (and have still got the patience to play around with the N-50), it might be worth investigating more precisely how and it what circumstances you are having difficulty getting it to read data off of the front USB input, eg trying different makes/sizes of USB stick, whether there is any non-audio data already on the stick, different ways of putting in / pulling out the stick giving problems, etc.
post #100 of 320 Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 AM

Hi, Thank's for all the opinions here...

I agree with all said about the poor software to control the n-50. It's really a shame that Pioneer cannot see that software is at least as important as the hardware which in this case is as good as much more expensive DAC's that only do conversion... but anyways...

A strange thing I have noticed is that when streaming from an iphone via the built in music app connected to the n-50 via airplay the volume control does not work. Curiously, streaming from a Mac with iTunes to the same n-50 via airplay works... can anyone explain why it only works from the Mac ??

Oh, and while I'm at it, why on earth is it not possible to stop a radio stream with the play/pause button ??
post #101 of 320 Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 PM

Hi there!

You are so lucky! You get a radio stream..... I know it may sound stupid, but without built in radio platform, it's beyond me how to get a radio stream on this darn thing !!! I don't want to start chanting again about Western Digital Live , but that little $100 pillbox has a built in app called " tune in " which immediately discovered once and for all all local stations and thousands international as per genre...

All I get from my N-50 is " searching "...

Any help as to what should I do is welcome and much appreciated ...

Thanks

D
post #102 of 320 Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 AM

Are you sure you're n-50 is connected to the Internet (via Ethernet or optional WiFi) ? If so, is your firewall blocking the traffic from the n-50 to the Internet and back ?

You can find instructions on page 7 and 15 in the user manual which you can DL here

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Unassigned-Content/Manuals/N-50+OPERATING+INSTRUCTIONS

Good luck !!
post #103 of 320 Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstav View Post

Hi there!

You are so lucky! You get a radio stream..... I know it may sound stupid, but without built in radio platform, it's beyond me how to get a radio stream on this darn thing !!! I don't want to start chanting again about Western Digital Live , but that little $100 pillbox has a built in app called " tune in " which immediately discovered once and for all all local stations and thousands international as per genre...

All I get from my N-50 is " searching "...

Any help as to what should I do is welcome and much appreciated ...

Thanks

D

First time anyone's mentioned having a problem connecting to the internet radio, dstav. Definitely worth following rupert1020's advice.

I remember you also having connection problems with the Pioneer control app and the N-50. Have you set up a static IP address for the N-50 on your network? It would explain the delay in the app finding the box, if not, with your router's DHCP server resetting the N-50's address each time it powers up.
post #104 of 320 Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 PM

No, I have a static IP....

It is my suspicion that Pioneer does not cater for servers, which is bad. Anyway, as I have mentioned before the N50 is the only device on my network that has such poor performance, and on top, it needs an add on software server by the likes of MEZZMO, J river etc to work...

I believe I am more than computer literate but that's exactly what negates the purpose... If you need to hire an IT professional because N50 deslikes this or that server, Windows server, windows media player, maybe VUSE, it does not have its own software, all of the sudden the i pad app fails to connect ( 11 out of 10 times) then I am sorry... Someone else does that easily and on top the cost is 1/7 of that of N50's.....

I just didn't like the look of a little plastic box next to my expensive processor and amps ....

I am sorry but N50 just doesn't cut it as far as user friendliness is concerned
post #105 of 320 Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM

I'm using a Synology server which works perfectly. But maybe I'm just lucky.. I wouldn't use a static IP address.. let the n-50 get it's address dynamically from your DHCP server .. the delay for acquiring an address shouldn't be noticeable. .. and yes the control app is very basic. I have to restart it manually very often to get it to see the n-50 (on iphone double click the home button then hold finger on one of the app icons., )
post #106 of 320 Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert1020 View Post

I wouldn't use a static IP address.. let the n-50 get it's address dynamically from your DHCP server .. the delay for acquiring an address shouldn't be noticeable. .. and yes the control app is very basic. I have to restart it manually very often to get it to see the n-50 (on iphone double click the home button then hold finger on one of the app icons., )
By 'static' IP I really meant make sure the N-50 starts up with the same IP. I would agree with you in that if you have a running DHCP server, then it's normally best to continue allowing it to handle all the IP assignments on the network. Most DHCP servers can be configured to always assign the same IP to individual devices as necessary and I would advise you to use that feature for the N-50. It allows the Pioneer Control App to look for the same IP it remembered from the previous successful connection for the N-50 first up & will save on it having to 'hunt' for the box on the network because the previous address is no longer valid. You should also make sure your iphone has/is connected to the network BEFORE starting the Pioneer app.
post #107 of 320 Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:

No, I have a static IP....

It is my suspicion that Pioneer does not cater for servers, which is bad. Anyway, as I have mentioned before the N50 is the only device on my network that has such poor performance, and on top, it needs an add on software server by the likes of MEZZMO, J river etc to work...

I believe I am more than computer literate but that's exactly what negates the purpose... If you need to hire an IT professional because N50 deslikes this or that server, Windows server, windows media player, maybe VUSE, it does not have its own software, all of the sudden the i pad app fails to connect ( 11 out of 10 times) then I am sorry... Someone else does that easily and on top the cost is 1/7 of that of N50's.....

I just didn't like the look of a little plastic box next to my expensive processor and amps ....

I am sorry but N50 just doesn't cut it as far as user friendliness is concerned
By 'not cater for servers' I assume you mean it can't see shared folders (Windows/SAMBA) via a file server on the network, which is true, but the Pioneer spec does not mention this - it only supports DLNA/UPnP servers to access audio files on the network. I think similar priced rival stereo network audio players such as the Marantz NA7004, Denon 720, Cambridge NP30 & even the Stream Magic 6 only support DLNA servers on the network. Also, probably not surprisingly, they are all reported to have very poorly designed control apps. It's only the very top end network audio players, such as those made by Naim, Linn & Primare are there no complaints about the software, but these devices cost at least 4 times as much!

Unfortunately, the same rule applies for all poorly designed software - you need a degree in IT to sort the mess out yourself, usually by trial and error and with no guarantee of solving all the problems out!
post #108 of 320 Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 PM

Something like that, my main complaint is that it does not UPNP with windows server 2008 and Windows media player. As a mater of fact I believe that there is no N50 driver for Windows server 2008....

The driver does not do well with Windows 7 either
post #109 of 320 Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 AM

I agree with the list of wanted features mentionned above, especially the support of Samba servers.
The android app is just a torture to use!
With the android app very often (but not always) when I click on a folder, it just double clicks, which is really really anoying! Anyone else have the same issue ?
But the way I still love this product for its sound quality
post #110 of 320 Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Something like that, my main complaint is that it does not UPNP with windows server 2008 and Windows media player. As a mater of fact I believe that there is no N50 driver for Windows server 2008....

The driver does not do well with Windows 7 either
I don't think Windows Server 2008 media services supports DLNA, you have to install Windows Media Connect. Even then I don't think it works properly because of not fully supporting DLNA 1.5, which most of these media player boxes require. Also, WMP is not considered to be a reliable DLNA server, which is why so many have abandoned it, preferering to use other non-Microsoft / Windows supplied DLNA servers.

Pioneer do not supply or need to supply a Windows driver for DLNA support for any version of Windows for the N-50. The N-50 is specified to connect to and see audio files on a DLNA server on the network out of the box, independent of what operating system the DLNA server is running in. Could you be confusing this with the USB audio class 2 (UAC2) Windows driver supplied by Pioneer for the N-50? It allows the N-50 to be used as a DAC by software playing music files on a Windows machine (such as Foobar2000 & JRiver's media player), when the pc is directly connected to the N-50, via a USB cable, by sending the music data from its USB port to the N-50's async USB DAC input (Digital in USB).

This driver is required because Windows does not fully support UAC2. The Pioneer UAC2 driver is certainly available for the current desktop/laptop versions of Windows, including 7 and 8, as well as XP and Vista. Not sure what you can do if you need to play files to the N-50 as a DAC from media player software running on your Windows server 2008, though. It's possible one of the Windows desktop/laptop driver's might be ok to use, but you'd best ask Pioneer for more help. It's probably not supplied because it's unusual to want to PLAY music files from a dedicated server machine. The latest Macs and Linux machines don't need a similar driver as they should already fully support UAC2.
post #111 of 320 Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexislg View Post

IThe android app is just a torture to use!
With the android app very often (but not always) when I click on a folder, it just double clicks, which is really really anoying! Anyone else have the same issue ?
I have not had this problem on my Android phone - single tap on the folder does just that, gets you to next level of folders, after a brief highlight of the selected folder item. I've tested double tapping on a folder, but this is always seen as a single tap, so it looks like the app has not been set to do anything special with double taps on the folders. I've also tried a long press on the folder, but that just brings up the default single pop up menu containing the name of the selected folder item.

What is the effect you are seeing with the 'double clicks'?
Have you seen this effect in any other app on your Android device, especially when tapping in the same area of the screen?
post #112 of 320 Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Ok, thanks for your tests. So you don't have the same problem!
I'll try to find someone with an other android phone to see if the problem is on my phone or on my Pioneer.
Concerning the list of problem with this device you made, do you plan to send it to Pioneer engineers? How?
post #113 of 320 Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 PM

As far as I'm concerned the singular most important issue that the Pioneer needs to address is implementing gapless for third party control points. With that done 90 out of every 100 unhappy customers (the 90 that just want to play their music library without gaps) would be happy because they would never have to open that ControApp again! The ControlApp has many more problems such as this one:

During playback, if you navigate at your leisure through the library for something to play next, you get timed out very quickly and you're back at the current playing screen. It's garbage.

Correct your firmware please Pioneer! And interact at a few online forums please. It's just not good enough.
post #114 of 320 Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexislg View Post

Ok, thanks for your tests. So you don't have the same problem!
I'll try to find someone with an other android phone to see if the problem is on my phone or on my Pioneer.
Concerning the list of problem with this device you made, do you plan to send it to Pioneer engineers? How?
I'm based in the UK, so I am using Pioneer Europe's official support ticketing system. It's not really ideal as correspondence is via email and is very slow especially since technical queries have to go to Japan via intermediaries. I've currently got the Samba support request & HDD spin down problem being looked into. Both are still at first response stage I'm afraid (after 2 weeks): HDD problem - Pioneer techs have requested further info after not finding a problem doing their own initial tests; the Samba request has been fowarded to their 'product planners in Japan'.
Not sure if this piecewise method is the best one - I'll certainly invite Pioneer to at least comment on the list, via this forum, as sorepinky has suggested.
post #115 of 320 Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorepinky View Post

As far as I'm concerned the singular most important issue that the Pioneer needs to address is implementing gapless for third party control points. With that done 90 out of every 100 unhappy customers (the 90 that just want to play their music library without gaps) would be happy because they would never have to open that ControApp again! The ControlApp has many more problems such as this one:

During playback, if you navigate at your leisure through the library for something to play next, you get timed out very quickly and you're back at the current playing screen. It's garbage.
I've not found this to be a problem for me, could be because my folder lists contain normally no more than about 15 items. I can now see that the timeout occurs if there's no activity on the library folders for 10 seconds - 'activity' would include scrolling up and down the list. Probably another reason I've never noticed it as I'm forever fiddling with the scrollbar when browsing!

I'll add it to the list. What are the other problems you've found?
post #116 of 320 Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

I don't think Windows Server 2008 media services supports DLNA, you have to install Windows Media Connect. Even then I don't think it works properly because of not fully supporting DLNA 1.5, which most of these media player boxes require. Also, WMP is not considered to be a reliable DLNA server, which is why so many have abandoned it, preferering to use other non-Microsoft / Windows supplied DLNA servers.

Pioneer do not supply or need to supply a Windows driver for DLNA support for any version of Windows for the N-50. The N-50 is specified to connect to and see audio files on a DLNA server on the network out of the box, independent of what operating system the DLNA server is running in. Could you be confusing this with the USB audio class 2 (UAC2) Windows driver supplied by Pioneer for the N-50? It allows the N-50 to be used as a DAC by software playing music files on a Windows machine (such as Foobar2000 & JRiver's media player), when the pc is directly connected to the N-50, via a USB cable, by sending the music data from its USB port to the N-50's async USB DAC input (Digital in USB).

This driver is required because Windows does not fully support UAC2. The Pioneer UAC2 driver is certainly available for the current desktop/laptop versions of Windows, including 7 and 8, as well as XP and Vista. Not sure what you can do if you need to play files to the N-50 as a DAC from media player software running on your Windows server 2008, though. It's possible one of the Windows desktop/laptop driver's might be ok to use, but you'd best ask Pioneer for more help. It's probably not supplied because it's unusual to want to PLAY music files from a dedicated server machine. The latest Macs and Linux machines don't need a similar driver as they should already fully support UAC2.

First of, thanks for helping out here,

Second, what you mention is true, although pretty unacceptable for me, but anyway, straight away, after I discovered that N50 does not talk to Windows server 2008 and WMP, I bought MEZZMO.

N50 discovered mezzmo, but there is no artwork.

Before using Mezzmo, the iPad app was working fine and with artwork ! After mezzmo and the first upgrade which allowed gapless playback, no more ipad app!!!

True this is not a Naim, but the benchmark re software is WD and its likes..
The other ironic thing is N50 is a .... Network media player which does not support the very brain of a network: the Server ! And I am afraid that still Windows control more than 70% of the market, so being unable to see windows / samba files is somewhat ..... Bad....

In any event, there isn't much to be done now, because sooner or later either they will put their act together and present a complete software with auto upgrades and all the bugs shorted, or eventually will be finding its way to e-bay by the dozens.

I don't mean to be the " cranky-butt" here, and thanks a lot for setting this thread up, and helping us all. I hope Pioneer takes notice.
post #117 of 320 Old 05-04-2013, 12:45 PM

yep, the N-50 could be a killer DAC/Streamer if it the software was more mature. As it stands its kinda laughable how buggy and fiddly the control app is.. the whole idea of the N-50 vs Airplay for example is its capability to stream / play high res files and access files on a server but if apple brings out a high res solution then all I would need is an external DAC or use the N-50 as a DAC and forget about its streaming capacity..

Let's hope Pioneer allocates some more resources to the software engineers and makes this product a winner.
post #118 of 320 Old 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Second, what you mention is true, although pretty unacceptable for me, but anyway, straight away, after I discovered that N50 does not talk to Windows server 2008 and WMP, I bought MEZZMO.

The N-50 will talk to DLNA compatible servers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance) .. it won't see the Samba service.. it's not made for that. You need to install a DLNA service on your PC or Mac or Linux machine.

As stated earlier, I use a Synology file server which runs its own DLNA compatible service and has a great mobile app to control it.

There are other DLNA servers that can run on your pre Win 7 computer ... if you have Win 7 then apparently you already have a DLNA compatible server. Cannot confirm this, I run OSx

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

or

http://www.serviio.org

and many others
post #119 of 320 Old 05-04-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert1020 View Post

There are other DLNA servers that can run on your pre Win 7 computer ... if you have Win 7 then apparently you already have a DLNA compatible server. Cannot confirm this, I run OSx
Windows Server 2008 is not actually pre Win 7 as its timeline spans Windows Vista & 7. It's just designed to run on a different type of machine - a pro server box with extremely robust electronics, multiprocessor boards, multiple redundant HDD raid arrays and the like. These machines are normally found in commercial premises running file & database servers and kept in the 'computer room'. Unfortunately since they're not intended for the consumer market, things like DLNA have passed them by.
post #120 of 320 Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 AM

Well, not entirely true... Most radio stations operate through such servers.

After I installed MEZZMO, N.50 cooperated partially , but erratically as described through our exchanges.

Windows server 2008 is DLNA enabled.

WD live is having no problems whatsoever with the server..

I believe that N50 is and can be a very interesting proposition.... But they have to do a lot of work towards software-driver-hardware compatibility .

I must repeat that most of my issues are not server related, since after purchasing MEZZMO, JRIVER and Vuse, I got it to work, since it deslikes WMP which was built within Windows server 2008.

What upsets me is :

A) No radio
B) No artwork
C) No iPad app
D) Difficult upgrades- not always succesful..

I trust many users are having similar issues...

Lets hope Pioneer resolves them soon

Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Network Audio Player N 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page