*Official* Pioneer N-50 Network Audio Player Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 324 Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your quick response. Pioneer N50 is actually connected to my router as well as the computer that allowed me to access the site vTuner. This is why I do not understand why I can not have access to radios. If there are ports to open for pioneer N50, what are they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 324 Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 AM

About a firewall, look at the image below...

Directly connected to my box, there is no firewall and I have the same message: "server error". It's seems to provide from my pioneer N50 because i can't find in the help menu the " get access code" and so proceed to a registered account on pioneer.vtuner.com
post #183 of 324 Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifimacbook View Post

Thank you for your quick response. Pioneer N50 is actually connected to my router as well as the computer that allowed me to access the site vTuner. This is why I do not understand why I can not have access to radios. If there are ports to open for pioneer N50, what are they?
Yes, as I said I assumed that you'd already accessed the vTuner site via the computer and indicated that a firewall is probably preventing your N-50 from accessing the vTuner server. Unfortunately, I do not know what ports are required for vTuner and mentioned it could be the problem because some firewalls can be set to block certain ports by default.

That image just looks like you are pinging the vTuner site from the router (may be?) and doesn't really prove if a firewall is not blocking the N-50's access to vTuner or even the internet. Are you certain you have no firewall running over your whole network (it usually is on the router)?
If you do find it, switch it off - to test if the N-50 can now access the radio.

Also, how have you set up the N-50 to connect to network, ie DHCP on or off? If you are not using the DHCP server and your static settings are not correct for the gateway and/or the DNS server(s), intenet access and thus radio access will probably fail.
post #184 of 324 Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 AM

This morning, I downloaded the app on my Samsung TV vTuner. The TV is connected to the router in the same way that the Pioneer N50. No malfunction vTuner for application on the TV: I have all the radios. I really think the problem is my Pioneer player N50 itself.
Today I will try to connect my Pioneer N50 on another box in my workplace.
post #185 of 324 Old 09-18-2013, 01:32 AM

Good you had something similar to try, so agreed it is most likely a problem with the N-50 (though still a small possibility that the Samsung tv uses a different method to connect its vTuner service).

So, concentrating on possible problem with the N-50: you did not say if you were using a DHCP server or static settings for connecting the N-50 to the network. For example, are you certain at least one DNS address is set correctly (including if using a DHCP server - so check router DNS settings for this, assuming DHCP is running on the router)?
post #186 of 324 Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

Good you had something similar to try, so agreed it is most likely a problem with the N-50 (though still a small possibility that the Samsung tv uses a different method to connect its vTuner service).

So, concentrating on possible problem with the N-50: you did not say if you were using a DHCP server or static settings for connecting the N-50 to the network. For example, are you certain at least one DNS address is set correctly (including if using a DHCP server - so check router DNS settings for this, assuming DHCP is running on the router)?

I tried both options:

- DHCP server with my router also changing the DNS (8.8.4.4 and 84.103.237.142 by those of my free provider then 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) servers without success.

- I tried the second option, ie an IP set by myself on my router and setting on the Pioneer N50 (IP, subnet mask, DNS) without success.

PS: I noticed with the DNS of my provider (free), vtuner didn't work on my TV samsung.
post #187 of 324 Old 09-18-2013, 03:50 AM

Did you not set the gateway address for N-50's static settings, or did you forget to mention it? Assuming 'standard' home network, with the router as the device connecting the home network devices to the internet, the default gateway should be the router's home network ip. The DHCP server can sometimes return an incorrect default gateway IP. For example, if its not been configured correctly or if there's an unaccounted for DHCP server running on a different network device at the same time as the designated DHCP server, causing a conflict.

Interestingly, I too use the OpenDNS servers 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 as the DNS ips for my network and am able to access the Pioneer vTuner, for all devices including via the N-50!
post #188 of 324 Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM

I tried my Pioneer at my place of work where the service provider is orange and .... here works! It means we clearly that this is a problem in my private network or is my ISP (free). I am equipped with Apple router (airport 5th generation). Is it possible that there is an incompatibility with the airport terminal?
post #189 of 324 Old 09-18-2013, 10:56 AM

At least you now know that the N-50 does not seem to have an actual fault that prevents it connecting to the internet. I think its more likely to be the way your private network is configured, rather than the ISP, unless your ISP is blocking specific ports that the N-50 is using for its vtuner service and/or they are blocking an ip that the N-50 is using for vTuner that you haven't tried (so this would mean the N-50 doesn't use www.vtuner.com nor pioneer.vtuner.com - unlikely).

I doubt if there's an incompatibity as such with the Apple router. However, it doesn't have built in modem, so may be this is the 'non standard' complication which might be where the problem is. Are you using a modem with it or another router with built in modem for connection to the telephone/cable service?
post #190 of 324 Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 AM

Here is the schematic of my setup. The Freebox does not route but only modem.
So, anybody have an idea for my malfunction?
post #191 of 324 Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Well, your setup is definitely not your 'standard' one modem router domestic network - so may take a bit of time to work out where the problem is. First of all, you seem to have a lot of Apple kit. Have you tested your system's internet access from non-Apple gear, other than the N-50, may be a Windows/Linux computer or at least an Android device? It may help in the investigation. You also need to make sure you investigate the possibilty of a faulty DHCP mechanism by double checking the N-50 with the correct static settings, including correct IP for the default gateway (ie the router with NAT switched on, that has the N-50 on its LAN), etc.

I'd advise piecewise process of elimination testing, so first start by making sure that your ISP itself is not preventing the N-50 from accessing the vtuner service. So disconnect the main Airport Extreme & the rest of the home network. Just connect the N-50 to the Freebox with NAT & DHCP switched on to create a simple 'mini' local network with internet access and test the internet radio (for both with N-50 using DHCP & static settings).

If the N-50 can now access internet radio, test to see if can still work connected to the Airport Extreme, by now attaching the AE to the Freebox in bridge mode (again for both DHCP & static N-50 settings). Hopefully this works, so will be the fall back position if there is no other way to get the N-50 to connect to the internet radio.

If everything is still ok and assuming the Freebox has a DMZ facility, place the Airport Extreme in NAT & DHCP mode & put its IP in the DMZ (will require some thought as to how to best group the IPs controlled by more than one DHCP). Attach the N-50 to the Airport Extreme & again test the internet radio as before - this will also test if the N-50 works through the Extreme's NAT firewall in isolation from the Freebox. If all ok, test if the rest of the network devices are working as before, including internet accessing devices.

If it works, then problem resolved! It was probably due to some sort of NAT type interference (similar to 'double NAT') by the Freebox when configured as modem only, possibly due to some sort of fault.

If it doesn't work then the problem is most likely Airport Extreme's firewall blocking required ports by the vtuner service, so you'll need to investigate further in this area, eg find out what ports are required, why the AE is blocking them, set up port forwarding, etc.
post #192 of 324 Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I ordered myself a N-50 and it should be arriving tomorrow. My plans are to connect it wirelessly to my router and eventually store all of our CD's on the computer or maybe USB drives. My one question I have is should this be connected to my Pioneer Elite VSX-53 by it's analog output or digital output?

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, Sony BDP-S6200, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #193 of 324 Old 09-25-2013, 08:19 AM

The N-50 has a very good internal DAC, so it's possible that connecting via analogue out would provide better sound quality rather than using the VSX-53's own DAC through the digital outputs. In fact some people use the N-50 just for its DAC features, rather than for network streaming, preferring to use its async USB DAC input connected to their computers for playback, for example.

However, as you seem to have ordered one for its network streaming capabilities, how come you're not using the VSX-53's existing features for that and why did you decide on getting the N-50, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not familiar with the VSX-53, but certainly its network streaming spec looks very good, eg, DLNA 1.5 compliant, up to 24bit/192kHz WAV & FLAC resolution, AirPlay support, internet radio, etc.
post #194 of 324 Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM

I read many positive reviews on the N-50 and figured the N-50's DAC would do a much better job than the VSX-53. So if I understand correctly if you use the analog output you take advantage of the N-50's DAC and if you use the digital output you bypass it's DAC?

Pioneer SC-1523K, Sony BDP-S6200, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #195 of 324 Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Yes, that's correct.

Please feel free to let us know how you get on with the N-50, especially with its DAC!
post #196 of 324 Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 AM

I'm hoping it is a worthy purchase. The Elite VSX-53 is a very capable AVR but was thinking the N-50 may be a nice addition, I'll update on my findings.

post #197 of 324 Old 09-27-2013, 04:55 AM

Well it came yesterday afternoon and I got up early this morning and got it wired in and the update done with no issues. The audio is much better than what I could reproduce from the VSX-53; definitely glad I spent the money! Plus it looks good with the rest of the Elite pieces!

post #198 of 324 Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Really dumb question here...is the USB driver for to install on the N-50or your attached computer?

post #199 of 324 Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

Well it came yesterday afternoon and I got up early this morning and got it wired in and the update done with no issues. The audio is much better than what I could reproduce from the VSX-53; definitely glad I spent the money! Plus it looks good with the rest of the Elite pieces!
That's really good news. Next stage will be ripping that CD collection of yours - hope it doesn't take too long!

Quote:

Really dumb question here...is the USB driver for to install on the N-50or your attached computer?
The USB audio class 2.0 driver software is required for Windows computers to allow them to use the N-50 as a DAC, via the async USB DAC input. There are no equivalent drivers for Mac & Linux computers, because they are supposed to automatically support USB audio class 2.0.

The latest firmware (version 1.021) is the only thing you need to install on the N-50, which I think you've said you've already done.
post #200 of 324 Old 09-28-2013, 03:01 AM

Hi There,

Like many of you I've purchased the N-50 recently, and so far have been very impressed with its audio qualities.

However, I have been unable to connect to my Synology NAS (DS411SLIM). Even though the Synology is running DLNA, the Pioneer is not listed under the connected devices. As Internet radio is just working fine, and the N-50 is also a listed device in my Fritzbox 7170 router I'm inclined to think the problem is most likely Synology based. I've tried all kind of settings (DHCP and manual configuration), yet to no success. The Pioneers firmware is also up to date, and restarting the Synology doesn't help either.

Any of you out there with a similar set-up that has an idea what the problem could be, as I'm quickly running out of things to try here!

Thanks!
post #201 of 324 Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Since the Pioneer N-50 is listed as a network connected device on your Fritzbox router and you've been able to access internet radio, you can be certain that its network connection is Ok. My advice from this angle is if you are using the DHCP server (presumably on running on the router) to make sure it always assigns the N-50 the same unique ip address. Also do the same for all other the other devices on the network.

As far as N-50's UPnP/DLNA connectivity is concerned, the main thing it needs to do is announce itself as a UPnP/DLNA renderer. If you cannot 'see' it listed then there's either a problem with the N-50 (possible, but unlikely, given that the basic network connection is fine) and/or there's a problem with the UPnP/DLNA server and/or your router's handling of UPnP/DLNA data is not correct.
First thing to establish, do you have any other UPnP/DLNA renderers/players and are they being seen?
Have you tried testing using a UPnP/DLNA server on another device on the network, such as on a computer (eg the free Foobar2000 Windows application with the foo_UPnP plugin) or a phone (eg the free version of BubbleUPnP app for Android)?
post #202 of 324 Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Thanks Cebolla, for your comments.

I have two Dune HD Smart D1 mediaplayers (UPnP) that are both listed in Fritzbox and Synology Diskstation. As I mentioned the N-50 is listed on the Fritzbox, but not on the Synology, so I suspect it's the Synology that causes the problem. Still, I'm clueless as to why.

I could try to upgrade the Synologys software (DSM) to the latest version, but I don't expect any miracles as the version I'm running does support DLNA afterall.....

Anyway, thanks for your reply!
post #203 of 324 Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 AM

One thing I forgot to ask you, is the N-50 able to use the Synology NAS's DLNA server, regardless of you not being able to set up a profile for the N-50 from the server side? In other words, is the Synology DLNA server appearing on the N-50's Music Server list and are you properly able to play back all the music file types supported by both the DLNA server & the N-50, anyway?

The reason why I'm asking is that all the music only UPnP/DLNA servers that I know of don't have a profile setup mechanism which requires it to identify all the music players/renderers on the network. Profile setting by all media UPnP/DLNA servers for video players/renderers is particularly useful because there are many interpretations of DLNA support by the player manufacturers, so special settings are sometimes required depending on make/model. This is not the case for music players/renders, where virtually all use DLNA in the same way and are simply either able to playback a particular music file type or not. So, is it possible that the reason why the N-50 is not appearing on the DLNA server's connected device list is because it doesn't play video, so it doesn't matter?
post #204 of 324 Old 09-29-2013, 01:51 PM

Hi there Cebolla.

The N-50 is not showing anything on the Music Server's list. I've let it search for maybe 15 minutes but it finds no servers at all! This despite a working Ethernet connection. I've used both DHCP and manual configuration, but to no effect. I'm really not sure what to make of it all.

Anyway, thanks again for your input....
post #205 of 324 Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 AM

Ok that's interesting, Lord Humungus (or do you prefer just Humungus? wink.gif). It looks like neither of the N50's & Synology Server's UPnP/DLNA discovery announcements are getting through to each other! Once it's been established that a working ethernet connection is in place (& for UPnP/DLNA it's irrelevant whether the configuration is via DHCP or manual, BTW), this fault is usually due to UPnP multicast data not getting forwarded by the router and/or by any network bridge/repeater being used between the devices.

However, since the DLNA Server is obviously seeing other UPnP devices, such as the the two Dune players, then the router should be configured to forward UPnP multicast data (well at least between the working devices). This would indicate that the various devices are not 'wired' to the network in the same way and so the UPnP data being forwarded on some parts of the network, but not in others. Is there a difference between the way the Dune boxes & the Synology NAS and the N-50 & the Synology NAS are connected to each other via the router? For example, is one connection completely wired or completely wireless and the other part wired/wireless? Or, is one connection using one or more network bridge or repeater device(s) (eg, another router, powerline homeplugs, wireless extenders, etc) that the other connection is not?
post #206 of 324 Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM

The strange thing is that one of the Dune's is connected directly to the Fritzbox via a Homeplug. The other Dune is connected to a gigabit switch that also houses the connections to both the Synology NAS and the Pioneer N-50. Yet both Dunes are listed in the Synology and the Fritzbox and work without any problem. Furthermore I don't use any wireless connections, everything is ethernet based. Clearly there must be some mismatch that prevents detection, but I just can't put my finger on it. I even tried connecting the N-50 directly to the NAS but even that doesn't help...
post #207 of 324 Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Yes, certainly is a bit odd. The only thing I can think of is may be the Dune boxes are working in tandem & are either both sending each others UPnP discovery data as well as their own or they are in some type of 'master/slave' mode with the master device sending the discovery data for both (stretching the imagination a fair bit, I know!).

You could try this theory if you are willing, by disconnecting the Dune connected to the router via the homeplug, but you'll need to reboot all the network devices, just in case the UPnP discovery data is cached somewhere. The other thing to do would be to try and isolate the problem by connecting just the NAS & one Dune to the router (assuming it has at least 2 ports) with the switch disconnected and checking the connected lists and then doing the same for just the NAS and the N-50 connected to the router. If the N-50 & NAS DLNA server can now see each other, then the problem is most likely UPnP multicast data forwarding not being set up properly in the switch & its configuration will need checking (look for multicast options in particular).
post #208 of 324 Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM

I got the N50 streaming music tonight without any issues! My single question however is the CD I ripped and converted to FLAC has no album art, is this normal?

post #209 of 324 Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

I got the N50 streaming music tonight without any issues! My single question however is the CD I ripped and converted to FLAC has no album art, is this normal?

I don't know if it is normal, but on my just purchased N30 using a thumb drive, I do not get any art work on commercially purchased FLAC or with Apple Lossess files converted from commercially purchased hi-rez files.

I am new to FLAC, and when Googling the issue of artwork and FLAC it looks to be a big bag of hurt. I know the artwork on my Apple Lossless files is properly embedded, but the N30 shows no artwork.

Not a show stopper but I would like to know if it should work, and if so, why it does not.

Brian
post #210 of 324 Old 10-06-2013, 02:38 PM

I copied all of our CD's as a .WAV file so the album art would be included ( still new at this also ) plus it's also lossless. I am interested in finding good software to copy our CD's to our server.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Network Audio Player N 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page