*Official* Pioneer N-50 Network Audio Player Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 334 Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Take full advantage of digital audio.
In the era of today, you have likely stored a lot, if not all, of your music on your hard drive or portable device (like an iPod or iPhone). And you might listen to Internet radio services rather than just FM stations.

Connected to an AV receiver, our network audio players are made to enjoy the wide range of digital audio available today - wherever it's stored. They offer broad support for music files, several sound-enhancing features, and the option for a wireless connection to your home network.

Hi-bit processing and isolated D/A power supply ensure crystal clear audio.

Highlights include:

AirPlay compatible
USB DAC for a direct USB connection with your PC
high-resolution audio playback up to 192 kHz/24-bit
hi-bit 32 audio processing
Auto Sound Retriever to restore compressed audio files
Auto Level Control equalises volume differences between tracks
front USB terminal for your iPod/iPhone/iPad
ready for Pioneer ControlApp: remote app for iPod touch, iPhone and Android
Bluetooth ready
Wireless LAN ready
High-Accuracy Master Clock
Rigid under base
Isolated D/A Power supply

I love it and here are some of my pictures:
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 334 Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 AM

Liked: 10
No HDMI outs? Doesn't that limit your multi-channel audio options?
post #3 of 334 Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I wouldn't think you would need "multi-channel audio options" It is, after all only a "transport" accessing data...not intended for playing hi rez audio ripped from BR movies (which, I would think, in their eyes, would be illegal).
"USB DAC's for a direct USB connection with your PC"
6 channel is sufficient for SACD, which can be transmitted via optical.

ZivkoF,
How is the interface with your PC? I am assuming I see an ethernet card there...can you access seamlessly with your network? My Onkyo 807 is the worst at network "connectivity"...I have been searching for a way to supplement, and the only thing that works as of now, is another PC connected to my network, and directly connected to the 807 digital coax "in".
This, if cost effective, would greatly relieve my frustration with Onkyo.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #4 of 334 Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

I wouldn't think you would need "multi-channel audio options" It is, after all only a "transport" accessing data...not intended for playing hi rez audio ripped from BR movies (which, I would think, in their eyes, would be illegal).

But I thought optical limited you to 48k sampling. What about FLAC's with 96/192k multi-channel sampling (yes I know BD audio rips would not be an option)?
post #5 of 334 Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is a product without a market. Get a Dune and do 20x more for less
post #6 of 334 Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tibbs View Post

But I thought optical limited you to 48k sampling. What about FLAC's with 96/192k multi-channel sampling (yes I know BD audio rips would not be an option)?

Just hazzarding a guess here, as I do not own one...(but it looks interesting)...per the specs he listed 192 k is supported. One would guess FLAC would fall within that niche....

Edit: From the product page...
Quote:

A rear panel Ethernet port allows full integration into your home network. With DLNA 1.5® certification, a whole new level of entertainment options are at your fingertips. Stream your MP-3, AAC, WMA, WAV, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC music files from your PC, Laptop, Smartphone, or Pad to your home theater system. Or enjoy 1000's of internet radio stations from around the world with vTuner® convenience.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #7 of 334 Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just hazzarding a guess here, as I do not own one...(but it looks interesting)...per the specs he listed 192 k is supported. One would guess FLAC would fall within that niche....

Edit: From the product page...

Only 2 channel
post #8 of 334 Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

This is a product without a market. Get a Dune and do 20x more for less

You clearly have no understanding of the consumer electronics market. The Dune is the Niche' product with a small to non existent market.......and new encryption Tactics will drive home the death blow to it and many devices like it.
post #9 of 334 Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

You clearly have no understanding of the consumer electronics market. The Dune is the Niche' product with a small to non existent market.......and new encryption Tactics will drive home the death blow to it and many devices like it.

Please expand on this...
post #10 of 334 Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ZivkoF,
How is the interface with your PC? I am assuming I see an ethernet card there...can you access seamlessly with your network? My Onkyo 807 is the worst at network "connectivity"...I have been searching for a way to supplement, and the only thing that works as of now, is another PC connected to my network, and directly connected to the 807 digital coax "in".
This, if cost effective, would greatly relieve my frustration with Onkyo.

You can have it via LAN to Music Server (which can be also your PC) or via USB cable to your PC. Link for aditional information:

http://www.pioneer.eu/files/support/...A_En.01_16.pdf

To tell you the SQ of this Network Audio Player is outstanding , the Internet Radio is like to compare 576i (CD player) with 1080p (Pioneer N50) picture. Just listening Radio Paradise, CA, USA and it is great.
post #11 of 334 Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

For good SQ is important to have high technical performance

Response & Frequency:

Audio Output Level 2 Vrms .
Frequency Range 4 - 80,000 Hz .
S/N Ratio > 111 dB .
Dynamic Range > 111 dB .
Total Harmonic Distortion < 0.002% .
Channel Separation > 105 dB .
Weight 7,3 kg .
Dimensions 435 x 97,5 x 330 mm .

Audio Features:

Hi-bit Yes .
Auto Sound Retriever Yes .
Sound Retriever AIR Yes .
Auto Level Control Yes .
Twin D/A Converter (192 kHz/24-bit) 192 kHz/32-bit D/A Converter

Playback:

MP3 Yes (320kbps)
AAC Yes (320kbps)
WMA Yes (320kbps)
FLAC Network: 192kHz/24bit
Front USB: 96kHz/24bit
WAV Network: 192kHz/24bit
Front USB: 96kHz/24bit
WMV Yes
LPCM Yes (with streaming data only)
post #12 of 334 Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF View Post

You can have it via LAN to Music Server (which can be also your PC) or via USB cable to your PC. Link for aditional information:

http://www.pioneer.eu/files/support/...A_En.01_16.pdf

To tell you the SQ of this Network Audio Player is outstanding , the Internet Radio is like to compare 576i (CD player) with 1080p (Pioneer N50) picture. Just listening Radio Paradise, CA, USA and it is great.

No multichannel
Cannot decode MLP
Cannot decode DSD
Cannot decode ALAC
Cannot decode APE

What does this product do, that much cheaper products cannot?
post #13 of 334 Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No multichannel
Cannot decode MLP
Cannot decode DSD
Cannot decode ALAC
Cannot decode APE

What does this product do, that much cheaper products cannot?

192 kHz/32-bit D/A Converter and superior SQ to your staff
post #14 of 334 Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

192 kHz/32-bit D/A Converter and superior SQ to your staff

Even cheap AVRs have dacs with similar specs... What provides the superior sound quality if I have hi res multi channel
post #15 of 334 Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Even cheap AVRs have dacs with similar specs... What provides the superior sound quality if I have hi res multi channel

Sorry if you dont understand you really dont understand I cant help you.
post #16 of 334 Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry if you dont understand you really dont understand I cant help you.

My Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro has 192khz/32bit dacs...

I use a 3 year old dune streamer ($300). It can stream all of the formats (including 192khz/32bit) to my pre/pro, including multi-channel, and it has a user-interface as well. In fact it does full blu-ray video too, so again, what does this product offer that is new or superior for the price?
post #17 of 334 Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
@ZivkoF

Seems like an interesting audio product. When it says AirPlay compatible do they mean official AirPlay support out of the box?

@mayhem13

I agree, and it's going to happen faster than some think. Mind you, geographic location is an issue here. Media players are not going away around the world. The PCH and Dune higher end products will certainly be around for the dedicated Blu-ray collector. Audio CD's are still available at Walmart and other places. Video disks will be around for quite some time though I suspect their future is not bright.

philip
post #18 of 334 Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I use a 3 year old dune streamer ($300). It can stream all of the formats (including 192khz/32bit) to my pre/pro, including multi-channel, and it has a user-interface as well. In fact it does full blu-ray video too, so again, what does this product offer that is new or superior for the price?

Well - I just recently purchased a Dune Smart D1 and thought I was getting a media player that could actually make my music experience enjoyable. I was oh so wrong.

How can these guys get away with the total crap that is their music interface? It's non existent. No Album Art. No metadata...no DLNA...no nothing.

This device comes complete with a full blown HDMI interface and all I get during playback is some cheesy floating "screensaver" that displays just the track title? Unbelievable.

I am so disappointed in the "music" side of this player (The video side is great when coupled with a third party skin like Zappiti)...that I will consider the Pioneer immediately as a true audiophile solution. Anything to not have to start the Dune up for music.

Even my lowly WDTV Live for 90 bucks has a beautiful TV interface to enjoy while playing music...cannot believe just how lame the Dune is in this regard.

VP
post #19 of 334 Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This is quite a breakthough on price for Compliant 2 USB device except I don't think they are selling them in the US yet. Let me know if anyone sells the US version.
post #20 of 334 Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post

Well - I just recently purchased a Dune Smart D1 and thought I was getting a media player that could actually make my music experience enjoyable. I was oh so wrong.

How can these guys get away with the total crap that is their music interface? It's non existent. No Album Art. No metadata...no DLNA...no nothing.

This device comes complete with a full blown HDMI interface and all I get during playback is some cheesy floating "screensaver" that displays just the track title? Unbelievable.

I am so disappointed in the "music" side of this player (The video side is great when coupled with a third party skin like Zappiti)...that I will consider the Pioneer immediately as a true audiophile solution. Anything to not have to start the Dune up for music.

Even my lowly WDTV Live for 90 bucks has a beautiful TV interface to enjoy while playing music...cannot believe just how lame the Dune is in this regard.

VP

I agree. If any of these units are USB 2 compliant for FLAC and have a good music interphase, let me know. Boxee, Mica, I have tried for music and they all kind of suck. They are obviously geared to video.
post #21 of 334 Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post

VP

The Dune is the BEST music media player. It can play just about any format, any bitrate, any bitdepth and any number of channels you throw at it and output everything without decimation. Out of the box, it is a LOUSY music media navigator. Try Musicnizer or use the native abilities of the Dune to roll your own music interface...
post #22 of 334 Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

I agree. If any of these units are USB 2 compliant for FLAC and have a good music interphase, let me know. Boxee, Mica, I have tried for music and they all kind of suck. They are obviously geared to video.

I got my Netgear NeoTV 550 primarily for music playback. It plays FLAC bit-perfectly (all resolutions including 192kHz multi-channel) and gaplessly. The interface is pretty decent too. You can browse by cover art, genre, year, artist, album, and even by folder and codec (format). My only issue is you can currently only play m3u playlists randomly, but this should be fixed with a firmware update due out any day now. When you're playing music it shows the cover art, artist, song title, album, duration, and year for the currently playing song, as well as the previous and next songs.

It's also awesome for Blu-ray rips (including ISO with full menu support). It's not really much of an internet streamer (yet), however. I'm hoping for Amazon Prime support with the next firmware update but even if that never comes I'll be happy with what it can do currently, especially considering I only paid $95 for it.
post #23 of 334 Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post

I got my Netgear NeoTV 550 primarily for music playback. It plays FLAC bit-perfectly (all resolutions including 192kHz multi-channel) and gaplessly. The interface is pretty decent too. You can browse by cover art, genre, year, artist, album, and even by folder and codec (format). My only issue is you can currently only play m3u playlists randomly, but this should be fixed with a firmware update due out any day now. When you're playing music it shows the cover art, artist, song title, album, duration, and year for the currently playing song, as well as the previous and next songs.

It's also awesome for Blu-ray rips (including ISO with full menu support). It's not really much of an internet streamer (yet), however. I'm hoping for Amazon Prime support with the next firmware update but even if that never comes I'll be happy with what it can do currently, especially considering I only paid $95 for it.

Interesting. Thanks.
post #24 of 334 Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 AM
srx

Does anyone know where i can buy online
post #25 of 334 Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 12
I picked one of these up last night. My initial impression is very good - the unit is an improvement over my WDTV Live using some 96/24 test tracks I know very well.
post #26 of 334 Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx View Post

Does anyone know where i can buy online

Please, anyboady knows where to buy the pioneer n-50 online into USA?

Cheers!

RMerlano
NewBie on AV Systems....
post #27 of 334 Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerlano View Post

Please, anyboady knows where to buy the pioneer n-50 online into USA?
Cheers!

Try contacting Robert at Value Electronics
post #28 of 334 Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Thank you!

RMerlano
NewBie on AV Systems....
post #29 of 334 Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 AM

Hi,

I have a Pioneer N50. It is a good product and I use it every day.

However, I have two issues, maybe they are linked together :

1. I have a music server on the same network as the N50, and this server has an USB external disk connected to it. When I scan the network from the N50, I can see my music server and the directories inside it, including the externel USB disk.
But when I disconnect and reconnect this USB disk, the N50 displays each time a new entry on the display, so I have around twenty "iomega" (the USB disk) displays on the screen and I do not know how to erase them (all but one are empty lists).
2. I add directories with music files in the USB ext disk and the last I added are seen as empty directories on the N50 while they contain the musical files I put into them.

I contacted Pioneer support and I am awaiting their answer, I will push it here when I get it.
No software update available for the N50 at this time.

Has anybody experienced these issues ?
Thank you

Jean-Pierre
post #30 of 334 Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 AM

Hi,

I have not experienced these issues since I don't have a music server yet.

However, there are so many imperfections with the N-50. I don't understand why Pioneer is hesitating to release a new Firmware. I'd say there must have been three updates by now... So many core problems:

1) Gapless playback is absent
2) Does not support .cue, only full .flac .wav etc.
3) Does not support cueing.
4) Android and iPhone application is very weak, should build a proper one a) only four lines are visible, b) when browsing, no way to return to "now playing", c) takes a few seconds to communicate with the N-50 everytime you powerup your Android device.
5) "Now playing" is missing in the device control as well (not only in the iPhone/Android app.

In general, the control of N-50 is worse than Winamp in 1997. Pioneer should release a new firmware ASAP. Kind of makes me a bit skeptical about purchasing Pioneer in the future, although, SQ is excellent on this device.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Network Audio Player N 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page