good wireless hd setup - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 02-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys cannot knock wireless, it will work differently in every single home. A lot goes into it, I'm sure you guys know. If the guy is happy with his wireless setup, be happy for him, but I can't say you guys didn't warn him. I tried the wireless thing for a few months streaming VUDU. A few weeks ago it would barely get through a movie, then I decided to run a cable and haven't looked back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

warn me? hmmm....well i bought the router (netgear wndr3700) for my laptop and printer so i signed up for 1 month free netflix to give it a try...nothing to lose at that point and it works great. from the access point router to my dongle is a straight shot of 10 feet..i would have had to buy 50 feet of cable..buy a special stapler and staples to route the cat cable up over and through doorways and base board..for me personally..this was a no brainer!
post #33 of 35 Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1python1 View Post

warn me? hmmm....well i bought the router (netgear wndr3700) for my laptop and printer so i signed up for 1 month free netflix to give it a try...nothing to lose at that point and it works great. from the access point router to my dongle is a straight shot of 10 feet..i would have had to buy 50 feet of cable..buy a special stapler and staples to route the cat cable up over and through doorways and base board..for me personally..this was a no brainer!

I have the 3700 as well but bridged via 5ghz... getting dismal speeds due to the obstacles for wireless. Maybe 9Mbps on a good day.

I am thinking my only solution is to do the 50' of cable and try to tidy it with cable runners that go in the top wall corners.

Cheaper than replacing my bridge with another 3700 or 4500 to run it in bridge mode.

YMMV greatly. Some like you are luckier than me :-(

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #34 of 35 Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:

Honestly, I think you will be fine at that distance....no walls.
post #35 of 35 Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

If it works for you and you are happy, that is all that matters. The reality is that wireless is not good enough for streaming of high bit rate iso files such as those made from a blu ray disc. Too many variables to take into account for it to be CONSISTENT! If you are the 1% that says you have got it working good for you!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page