post #451 of 761 Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post

Looking at your pic, you seem to have lots of hair left so I say go for it.
Yeah, I seem to remember my cache drive being 2TB (didn't build mine myself).
I hope you get it figured out. Not having enough drives to move stuff to temporarily can be a pain.
I've had soo many problems with hardware, yall wouldn't believe me. I've lost files, directories
and drives and even had my unRaid delete folders by itself or at least I'm sure it did.
Asking in the unraid forum (on lime tech) confirmed that this IS possible.
They think it was caused by a bad network card/connection so if you suspect
your card being bad guys, change it!
unRaid is some awesome stuff and I love the fact that you can mix and match drives and drive sizes.
I had a ReadyNas NV+ but half of the drives out there weren't on their compatibility list, I had to redo
the raid because I hadn't set it up as flex raid or whatever it was called (DESPITE asking all kinds of
questions before buying it) and of course, the 4 drive limitation.
Got me a 15 drive unRaid now and I couldn't be happier. Guy/company that built it also provides awesome
tech support so I'm a happy camper.
By the way, if someone here wants one and you DON'T want to build one, let me know and I'll send you their
info (not sure if it's ok to post it here so I won't).
Prices and work are awesome.
By the way dropzone, I'm on the other side of Wingate (college) so we're nebbors smile.gif

LOL, yeah, that's my wife and all she cares about is being able to watch her dumb 80's sitcom shows from the server and doesn't care how it all works. I'm looking forward to getting this thing up and running but I don't actually have it just yet. A friend of mine picked it up for me but I have yet to meet up with him to get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 761 Old 06-20-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, did he build it for you or did you buy it ready made?

As for wives, that's what they do. Honey, make it work smile.gif

I hope at least she's a good cook...

smile.gif
post #453 of 761 Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

No, it wasn't built for me. I think he built it himself but must have either upgraded or gone another direction. I just figured it would look cool in a rack until I figure out how to use it.

Wife is a pretty good cook but we eat out a lot. biggrin.gif

post #454 of 761 Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 AM

Cool.

IF the unraid is ready to go, all you have to do is hook it up to the router and you should be ready to go. You may have to map it to see it properly but guys like gusgus can prolly help you do that.
Me, I'm just a user and too damn stupid to do anything like that. The damn thing is awesome though.

I eat out a lot too but that's 'cause I'm by myself and I ain't cookin' just for myself. Too much cleaning up to do for just five minutes of eating.
post #455 of 761 Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post

Cool.
IF the unraid is ready to go, all you have to do is hook it up to the router and you should be ready to go. You may have to map it to see it properly but guys like gusgus can prolly help you do that.
Me, I'm just a user and too damn stupid to do anything like that. The damn thing is awesome though.
I eat out a lot too but that's 'cause I'm by myself and I ain't cookin' just for myself. Too much cleaning up to do for just five minutes of eating.

Yeah, I have no idea how the login procedure will work since this was licensed to the previous user. I'm sure I will be coming here for some help...

post #456 of 761 Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 AM

Has nothing to do with the license. If it works you don't need to log in UNLESS you want to do anything locally such as pull up the ip address or something in which case the command is ifconfig instead of ipconfig but again
the guys here know a lot more.
post #457 of 761 Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
If I was you, I would do a clean install of unRaid OS, prior to installing anything. That way anything done by the prior owner doesn't create any issues with your set up. You will also have to decide if you want to use 4.7 or the 5RC4 beta OS. Let us know when you get it home, and we can help you out.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #458 of 761 Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

This is how my unRAID server looks like now with two 4x3 Cooler Master cages:

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

Home Theater Set Up:

post #459 of 761 Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Guys, I'm getting ready to port my unRAID build (ARK 4u-500) over to a Norco RPC-2212. Anyone been through it with this case already? Suggestions for a 2u PSU, that will support 12 drives?

More to come.

CD

(P.S. most of the parts will move to the new case...but I'll be trying to move the ARK 4u-500 case, Corsair TX-650 PSU, and iStar BPU-350 5-in-3 cage, as a whole. It would make a great starting place, for someone jumping into their first build).

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #460 of 761 Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Who knows about voltage measurements? According to the unRAID PSU thread, you should shoot for 2 amps pre green drive, 3 otherwise...and 5 for the motherboard. So...12 drives; presumably, most of them green...that puts me somewhere in the 30-35 range. I'd rather be safe than sorry...but I'd also prefer to spend as little as possible.

So what's something like this mean +5V@25A, +12V@40A, -12V@0.8A, +3.3V@25A, +5V-SB@3.5A on this Athena number http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338093? Athena or iStar?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #461 of 761 Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

40A on a single rail. Don't know much about 2u power supplies...
post #462 of 761 Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hey guys!! I been MIA on AVS for a while... I gotta catch up this week on the latest posts.

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #463 of 761 Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great just my luck!! I finally get some time to watch a movie tonight and the server isn't connecting to the network!! I can't access it through my media players or computers. I hooked up a monitor to the server and can't even get into the BIOS. It doesn't look like the server is booting up. The flash drive light isn't blinking so I thought maybe it died. I plugged it into my Mac and it still works and I can access all the folders in the flash drive. I tried rebooting the server several times but nothing happens. I thought maybe the motherboard died but the lights on the mother board are on and the fan to the cpu is spinning. I tried installing the flash drive into different USB Ports on the server but the light on the flash drive doesn't start flashing. The server isn't recognizing it for some reason. Anyone know what is going on here? The server was just working last week. frown.gif

post #464 of 761 Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Great just my luck!! I finally get some time to watch a movie tonight and the server isn't connecting to the network!! I can't access it through my media players or computers. I hooked up a monitor to the server and can't even get into the BIOS. It doesn't look like the server is booting up. The flash drive light isn't blinking so I thought maybe it died. I plugged it into my Mac and it still works and I can access all the folders in the flash drive. I tried rebooting the server several times but nothing happens. I thought maybe the motherboard died but the lights on the mother board are on and the fan to the cpu is spinning. I tried installing the flash drive into different USB Ports on the server but the light on the flash drive doesn't start flashing. The server isn't recognizing it for some reason. Anyone know what is going on here? The server was just working last week. frown.gif

I assume you don't have a back-up of your boot-drive Chris? Always a good idea...just in case. Maybe make a copy somewhere, and try another drive?

CD

post #465 of 761 Old 06-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Post a thread or (link to your thread) on unRAID forums. A syslog will show what the problem is.
post #466 of 761 Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

Great just my luck!! I finally get some time to watch a movie tonight and the server isn't connecting to the network!! I can't access it through my media players or computers. I hooked up a monitor to the server and can't even get into the BIOS. It doesn't look like the server is booting up.
Have you got the server to boot yet?
You can disconnect all the drives (hard disks and optical drives)- leave them disconnected, remove and re-seat the memory, pull the keyboard and mouse- leave them disconnected and disconnect and reconnect the PSU to MB 20/24 pin connector. If you still get no boot/video with everything disconnected- pull and leave out the memory modules, at that point all you have is a MB and CPU- try to boot from there. You should get at least some error beeps complaining about the lack of memory modules. If it still doesn't boot- try another PSU from another computer... if still no boot- bad MB or CPU.
Have you had any storms/lightning/power surges since you last booted the server?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #467 of 761 Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Porting to the Norco RPC-2212. Case arrived today. Not much to look at yet, but I do love the build. I tried a 4020 once upon a time, and it was a POS compared to this solid 2U biggrin.gif

Didn't really need the new case, but 12 hots in a 2U was too much to resist. Didn't count on needing to drop so much for a decent 2U PSU; probably gonna have to pony up for something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338093

Follow the move, and maybe I'll let you help me by answering some questions...lol

DSC02388-1.jpgDSC02387-1.jpg

post #468 of 761 Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Step 2: replace what I can only assume, are the stock 80mm screamers.

DSC02389-1.jpg

post #469 of 761 Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I assume you don't have a back-up of your boot-drive Chris? Always a good idea...just in case. Maybe make a copy somewhere, and try another drive?
CD

At the moment I don't have a backup flash drive but that is a good idea to do.. I also tried a spare flash drive that I have laying around and inserted it in one of the usb ports on the server and the lights on the flash drive doesn't come on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

Post a thread or (link to your thread) on unRAID forums. A syslog will show what the problem is.

Yes I need to do that... How to I get a syslog if I can't even get the server to boot up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Have you got the server to boot yet?
You can disconnect all the drives (hard disks and optical drives)- leave them disconnected, remove and re-seat the memory, pull the keyboard and mouse- leave them disconnected and disconnect and reconnect the PSU to MB 20/24 pin connector. If you still get no boot/video with everything disconnected- pull and leave out the memory modules, at that point all you have is a MB and CPU- try to boot from there. You should get at least some error beeps complaining about the lack of memory modules. If it still doesn't boot- try another PSU from another computer... if still no boot- bad MB or CPU.
Have you had any storms/lightning/power surges since you last booted the server?

No storms or anything.. The server is currently on but I haven't messed with it since yesterday. The flash drive light still isn't blinking so I know it's not booting up. I will try and mess with it later tonight and disconnect some stuff and reconnect it. The PSU is working because all the lights and HDD drive cages are lit up.

The yellow light on the Motherboard is lit up. Not sure if that is any indication that the motherboard is working? Also the CPU fan is still spinning and it gets its power from the Motherboard.

I'm not a computer tech so I'm not sure.. This was my first server/comp I ever built.

post #470 of 761 Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At the moment I don't have a backup flash drive but that is a good idea to do.. I also tried a spare flash drive that I have laying around and inserted it in one of the usb ports on the server and the lights on the flash drive doesn't come on.
Yes I need to do that... How to I get a syslog if I can't even get the server to boot up?
No storms or anything.. The server is currently on but I haven't messed with it since yesterday. The flash drive light still isn't blinking so I know it's not booting up. I will try and mess with it later tonight and disconnect some stuff and reconnect it. The PSU is working because all the lights and HDD drive cages are lit up.
The yellow light on the Motherboard is lit up. Not sure if that is any indication that the motherboard is working? Also the CPU fan is still spinning and it gets its power from the Motherboard.
I'm not a computer tech so I'm not sure.. This was my first server/comp I ever built.

Chris...the guys at the unRAID/LT forum will take care of you. Just explain your situation in plain language, and they'll walk you through it. One of the great things about unRAID; good forum support!

CD

post #471 of 761 Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chris...the guys at the unRAID/LT forum will take care of you. Just explain your situation in plain language, and they'll walk you through it. One of the great things about unRAID; good forum support!
CD

Chris...any luck??

CD

post #472 of 761 Old 07-01-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW...I did just order this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338093. Once it arrives, I'll be able to post the details of my move.

CD

post #473 of 761 Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chris...any luck??
CD

I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it. Thinking about dropping it off at a PC repair store around the corner so they can tell me if a hardware failed. This is the worst time this could happen as my free time is so limited. mad.gif

post #474 of 761 Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
CD,

an easy solution to the stock screamers is to swap the 12v for 5v on the connector and then the fans only run at 35% normal speed making the noise much more tolerable..... Works great on my 4220. workable solution for many and its free....

Sean
post #475 of 761 Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

CD,
an easy solution to the stock screamers is to swap the 12v for 5v on the connector and then the fans only run at 35% normal speed making the noise much more tolerable..... Works great on my 4220. workable solution for many and its free....
Sean

Thanks Sean. I was going to order all the new parts at once; keep from having to go back in the case; but I've decided to port the thing first...then worry about the fans. Who knows...maybe the fans won't be so bad? Lol...I doubt it. Plus, I'm being told my 2u PSU will probably be on the loud side, so replacing the board fans might not do much good. When the time comes...I'd like to find something with short leads, like these; keep things nice and tidy on the fan-board.

PSU is due Friday, so I'll post some pics over the weekend!

CD
mbryanr likes this.

post #476 of 761 Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
you dont need connectors or anything. you can pull the wires out of the connector and re-insert them in a new location (5v versus 12v) and thats it....

This assumes those fans run of 12V versus 5V which is what the other Norco Server cases do.....

I can't imagine the PSU making noise like that case does but who knows
post #477 of 761 Old 07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Sean. I was going to order all the new parts at once; keep from having to go back in the case; but I've decided to port the thing first...then worry about the fans. Who knows...
CD

CD..you've caught UCD (unRAID compulsive design). Looking forward to the pics!
post #478 of 761 Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

CD..you've caught UCD (unRAID compulsive design). Looking forward to the pics!

Absolutely! There was nothing at all wrong with my current build; I just wanted 12 hot-swaps in a slim, 2U design. wink.gif

I'm hoping someone, looking to get into unRAID...will buy my spare parts. It's a great 4U case, stout PSU, and 5-in-3 cage. Would make a great start build for someone.

CD

post #479 of 761 Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely! There was nothing at all wrong with my current build; I just wanted 12 hot-swaps in a slim, 2U design. wink.gif
I'm hoping someone, looking to get into unRAID...will buy my spare parts. It's a great 4U case, stout PSU, and 5-in-3 cage. Would make a great start build for someone.
CD

Any pics and price(s)?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #480 of 761 Old 07-04-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Any pics and price(s)?

GG, I'll post some pics when I do the swap later this week/end. It'll be the ARK 4u-500 case, Corsair TX-650 PSU (v1), and this iStar 5-in-3 hot-swap cage. They're all in good shape, and like I said; this would make a really fine starter set-up for someone's first (or not) build.

CD

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page