post #541 of 749 Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

quick question. whenever I am able to build an unraid box, i will install my 2tb drive containing all my media from my HTPC to the NAS box. would pre-clearing erase my media that is already on that drive?

Yes, it would erase everything.

Taken from another users build experience:

"4.Preclear the drives you will be adding to the array. This is not an "mandatory" step in setting up your unRAID server but it comes highly recommended. Preclearing is essentially "burning in" your disk(s). The script writes a bunch of 0's to the drive and then reads every bit from start to finish. This allows the SMART firmware to find and mark any bad areas of the drive before you start storing data on them. This took 30 hours to complete on my 2TB drives (I ran them all concurrently by initiating the script for each drive in a new TTY (ALT + F1, F2, F3, etc). DO NOT preclear any drives that you installed that contain data to be moved to the array. PRECLEARING ERASES ALL DATA!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 749 Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

quick question. whenever I am able to build an unraid box, i will install my 2tb drive containing all my media from my HTPC to the NAS box. would pre-clearing erase my media that is already on that drive?

Yes.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #543 of 749 Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am wondering if you guys think unRAID would be suitable for me.

I have a machine running Windows 7 as a host, with 16gb of ram and an i7 2600k. I do most of my rips from this machine and was considering building an unRaid box with ~6 TB to start. My end goal is to use a media player/streamer such as XBMC or mede8er to watch content on multiple tv's in the house. Is my best bet to hook up the unRaid box to my machine via esata or firewire so that streaming and transcoding is done from the stronger machine? Or will the unRaid by itself be enough to stream from? I have a general idea of what I want to do, just not sure which direction to go. Thanks
post #544 of 749 Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essg88 View Post

Hello, I am wondering if you guys think unRAID would be suitable for me.
I have a machine running Windows 7 as a host, with 16gb of ram and an i7 2600k. I do most of my rips from this machine and was considering building an unRaid box with ~6 TB to start. My end goal is to use a media player/streamer such as XBMC or mede8er to watch content on multiple tv's in the house. Is my best bet to hook up the unRaid box to my machine via esata or firewire so that streaming and transcoding is done from the stronger machine? Or will the unRaid by itself be enough to stream from? I have a general idea of what I want to do, just not sure which direction to go. Thanks

I've got my unRaid hooked up to my network, and all of my media players and computers can access it and play movies. I can play different movies (DVD and HD) to 3 different locations without any issues.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #545 of 749 Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've got my unRaid hooked up to my network, and all of my media players and computers can access it and play movies. I can play different movies (DVD and HD) to 3 different locations without any issues.

Thanks, thats great, all from just the unRaid? Was I going a little overkill or are your media players strong enough to do the transcoding and all that?

I was worried if my media players would not be strong enough spec wise
post #546 of 749 Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Thanks, thats great, all from just the unRaid? Was I going a little overkill or are your media players strong enough to do the transcoding and all that?
No transcoding involved at the server level- the UnRaid server is just a file server- your media player is simply reading a file off the server and it's doing all the math, that's why these simple single CPU servers can stream to 2,3,4 or more media players at the same time without breaking a sweat.... they're just serving up the data.
essg88 likes this.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #547 of 749 Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No transcoding necessary. You only need to transcode if your device doesn't support the format. This pretty much applies when you are using DLNA. Then you will need a Media Server software such as Plex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

No transcoding involved at the server level- the UnRaid server is just a file server- your media player is simply reading a file off the server and it's doing all the math, that's why these simple single CPU servers can stream to 2,3,4 or more media players at the same time without breaking a sweat.... they're just serving up the data.

+1.
essg88 likes this.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #548 of 749 Old 09-06-2012, 04:23 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I guess once all the data is there I will leave it running all the time.
Code:
(from /usr/bin/uptime)
 17:14:55 up 114 days, 18:27,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

The longest my server has been up without a reboot was something like 468 days. Then I rebooted to demonstrate the remote console feature to friends (no monitor, keyboard, or mice attached). My server has all 22 disks. The biggest power draw are the fans since all the disks spin down when not in used. The fans are PWM and so the motherboard throttle them down to the lowest rpm the fans will support.

Still Learning
post #549 of 749 Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

Code:
(from /usr/bin/uptime)
 17:14:55 up 114 days, 18:27,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
The longest my server has been up without a reboot was something like 468 days. Then I rebooted to demonstrate the remote console feature to friends (no monitor, keyboard, or mice attached). My server has all 22 disks. The biggest power draw are the fans since all the disks spin down when not in used. The fans are PWM and so the motherboard throttle them down to the lowest rpm the fans will support.

Cool. I guess I need to learn how to use the console and scripts like this. Speaking of the disks spinning down, I was freaking out last night when I saw one disk bliking green and white and no temperature readings. I learned that it was spun down and that no temp readings are avaliable unless the disk is spinning. Crisis averted. I am migrating data to my second disk right now and it's taking forever. The server has been on for about 24 hours now.
post #550 of 749 Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to say that I am loving the performance of my unRAID setup so far. I had two simultaneous BD-ISO streams going yesterday with no problem. Hard drive temps are looking normal after my fan change out and I like the fact that the drives are spinning down when not in use. The downside to that is that it takes a few seconds longer to bring up the contents of my library but it's not that big of a deal. I mounted the box in my rack and it looks pretty cool in there with the rest of my equipment.
post #551 of 749 Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to say that I am loving the performance of my unRAID setup so far. I had two simultaneous BD-ISO streams going yesterday with no problem. Hard drive temps are looking normal after my fan change out and I like the fact that the drives are spinning down when not in use. The downside to that is that it takes a few seconds longer to bring up the contents of my library but it's not that big of a deal. I mounted the box in my rack and it looks pretty cool in there with the rest of my equipment.

It takes about 30 seconds for mine to wake when all the drives aren't being used.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #552 of 749 Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone using unRAID with a Dune player and the Yadis jukebox? My experiece with Zappiti and WHS didn't end so well so I'm changing everything. Do I install Yadis on the unRAID or is that even possible? I figured it works similar to Zappiti which I installed on a client computer and had system storage installed in the Dune. Does Yadis work the same way?
post #553 of 749 Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone using unRAID with a Dune player and the Yadis jukebox? My experiece with Zappiti and WHS didn't end so well so I'm changing everything. Do I install Yadis on the unRAID or is that even possible? I figured it works similar to Zappiti which I installed on a client computer and had system storage installed in the Dune. Does Yadis work the same way?

I use Zappiti. I've never used Yadis. However, I've got Zappiti and YAMJ installed in my PC and the outcome / index files are in my Unraid server that way I can use multiple media players with the same jukebox.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #554 of 749 Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM

Does unraid support link aggregation/trunking if my unraid server has 2 NIC's?
post #555 of 749 Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Having some problems moving data over to the unRAID now. I'm currently moving movies from an external drive to empty drives on the server. I'm doing this over wired network, just copying from the external to the movies share. I'm using Teracopy and at some point during the process I'm getting an error saying that the network resource is no longer availble so of course the copying stops. I might get 3 files or 10 files copied over before it happens. Not sure what is going on. Any suggestions? My first drive went fine and I don't recall having this problem. I wasn't using Teracopy the first time.

Another question. This server has a ton of USB ports on it. Is it possible to connect my external drives to one of these just to copy files to the internal drives?
post #556 of 749 Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I purchased one of the 2u 12 bay servers being plugged in another thread at AVS and am about to embark upon the install of unraid on it.

I have downloaded the 4.7 release and set up my USB to boot and it does boot in to unraid. My question is about unmenu, I can't find anywhere that has a location to download it, is it built in to the 4.7 release already? The install guide that I have been following had a link to it but the link is dead, but the guide was for release 4.5.

Thanks for any pointers.

Seldom

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #557 of 749 Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/downloads/list

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #558 of 749 Old 09-15-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having some problems moving data over to the unRAID now. I'm currently moving movies from an external drive to empty drives on the server. I'm doing this over wired network, just copying from the external to the movies share. I'm using Teracopy and at some point during the process I'm getting an error saying that the network resource is no longer availble so of course the copying stops. I might get 3 files or 10 files copied over before it happens. Not sure what is going on. Any suggestions? My first drive went fine and I don't recall having this problem. I wasn't using Teracopy the first time.
Another question. This server has a ton of USB ports on it. Is it possible to connect my external drives to one of these just to copy files to the internal drives?

I never used teracopy. I always dragged and dropped. You can use usb for transferring but you will have to install the SNAP application.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #559 of 749 Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I never used teracopy. I always dragged and dropped. You can use usb for transferring but you will have to install the SNAP application.

Uninstalled Teracopy and just went back to regular drag and drop windows copy. Everything went smoothly after that. Slow but smoothly.
post #560 of 749 Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, more problems with copying data over to the server now. I am getting a message saying something like "this file cannot be copied to the new locatioin with it's properties, would you like to copy anyway?" I'm not getting it over every file but it just started happening yesterday. If I say yes and copy anyway the process continues. I had one file that showed copied to the server with same size as original and when I went to play it on the Dune it said it could not generate a playlist and the usual disc icon associated with ISO files was not there. Any suggestions?
post #561 of 749 Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, more problems with copying data over to the server now. I am getting a message saying something like "this file cannot be copied to the new locatioin with it's properties, would you like to copy anyway?" I'm not getting it over every file but it just started happening yesterday. If I say yes and copy anyway the process continues. I had one file that showed copied to the server with same size as original and when I went to play it on the Dune it said it could not generate a playlist and the usual disc icon associated with ISO files was not there. Any suggestions?

Could be an issue with read/write access on the files. I have had issues when I move music from my PC to my unraid box where my squeezebox doesn't see the new music as it doesn't have the right read/write access.
Do you know how to look for that?

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #562 of 749 Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Could be an issue with read/write access on the files. I have had issues when I move music from my PC to my unraid box where my squeezebox doesn't see the new music as it doesn't have the right read/write access.
Do you know how to look for that?

Do I just right click on the file and select "properties"? Then make sure it has full access to read/write?
post #563 of 749 Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do I just right click on the file and select "properties"? Then make sure it has full access to read/write?
You can try.
Also make sure there's no prohibited/foreign characters in the file names.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #564 of 749 Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I ended up copying a few files and ignoring the message about properties. Everything copied over fine and plays fine on the Dune. I deleted the one file that was a problem before and copied it over again. Works fine now. New problem though! I coped over about 30 files last night and this morning when I went to stop the array after about 3 days of having it on, my most recently added disc shows as "unformatted" again. Great, just great. I powered down the server and had to get out the door to work so I won't get to look at this again until later. I should know better than to peek in on things as I walk out the door because when I find something wrong it just drives me nuts thinking about it all day!
post #565 of 749 Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Try a reboot....

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #566 of 749 Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"New problem though! I coped over about 30 files last night and this morning when I went to stop the array after about 3 days of having it on, my most recently added disc shows as "unformatted" again.
Did you ever end up installing the parity disk?
If you did- no worries then with a single disk failure- your files are still there, just replace the failed disk with a good one and the array will rebuild w/all your data intact.

post #567 of 749 Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you did- no worries then with a single disk failure- your files are still there, just replace the failed disk with a good one and the array will rebuild w/all your data intact.

No, not yet. I still have one more 2TB drive to add to the array with data before I install a parity drive. I could see this morning that the data was showing up in the share but I did not navigate to that particular disc to see what was on it yet. (the one showing as unformatted on the main GUI page). I'm hoping that when I start it up this evening that the message is gone. I have read a few things in the unRAID forums and wiki about this occuring when a drive was busy or waiting on other drives to spin up. I'm on version 4.4.2 and apparently this has now changed where the drive will show "busy" or some other message besides "unformatted". Crossing my fingers that this is all it is.
post #568 of 749 Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

No, not yet. I still have one more 2TB drive to add to the array with data before I install a parity drive...
Is this SOP for unRAID buildouts? Populate the drives, add another drive(s) add more data then install the parity drive wen you're done adding data?

I use FreeNAS and the physical disk layout was complete (3 data disks and 1 parity disk) before any data was added.

post #569 of 749 Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this SOP for unRAID buildouts? Populate the drives, add another drive(s) add more data then install the parity drive wen you're done adding data?
I use FreeNAS and the physical disk layout was complete (3 data disks and 1 parity disk) before any data was added.

I was under the impression that parity could be added at anytime but I understand that my data is unprotected until I do add it. I admit to being somewhat hasty in this process as I have been without a working server for a while and wanted to quickly migrate this data. I didn't have any spare drives laying around so I'm using the drives from my former WHS machine in the unRAID. Once I get all the data moved over I do intend to install a parity drive and maybe a cache drive down the road.
post #570 of 749 Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm looking at building my own unraid box and I have a data migration queston. I have a existing 3TB drive that's almost full. And I have 2 more 3TB drives that are empty. Will I be able to create one large 9TB volume without loosing exisiting data using unRAID?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page