Official unRAID Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #781 of 799 Old 09-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Take a look in your syslog for both eth0 and eth1. If you only see eth0, it sounds like the other LAN port isn't getting initialized yet.

Quote:
2: Music plays fine. Except if I try to browse the collection...then it will cause it to pause for maybe 10 seconds, and then it resumes fine . I am assuming this is because it is accessing possibly other drives on the NAS?
That does sound like a drive spinning up. If you want to test this, spin all the drives down via the UI and try. Then spin all the drives up and try again. If the problem doesn't happen when all the drives are already spinning, that's the issue. You can set drives not to spin down if you don't like that behavior.

Quote:
When I play a movie in our Family Room it will play for a few minutes then it will either pause for a few minutes or freeze. It is also doing this with my HDHomerun tuners when viewing from the Family Room (same show plays flawlessly in the HT).
Interesting. I think your idea of directly connecting to the NAS is a good one, though there are a couple of easier things to try first. To make sure I understand the situation, I think you have a Cisco switch in the HT, a Netgear switch in the Living room, and no switch in the Family room.

The first thing that occurs to me is a bad port on your router on the connection into the Family Room or a bad cable somewhere in the chain to the OpenElec/Kodi device in the Family Room . Here's my thinking. Both the Cisco switch and the Netgear switch seem to be Ok because you can play movies in the HT and that requires network traffic to go through both switches. The unRAID NAS appears to be Ok as well - it does fine when serving up movies to the i3 NUC. An easy test to see if it is the router port might be to switch the Family room connection to a different port on the router. If you have a patch cable in the Family room, try switching that out. Also try power cycling the router, if you haven't done that lately. If none of that helps then I'd try the direct connect - that will isolate it to either the NAS, or the network.

A puzzler...
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 799 Old 09-04-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post
Take a look in your syslog for both eth0 and eth1. If you only see eth0, it sounds like the other LAN port isn't getting initialized yet.

That does sound like a drive spinning up. If you want to test this, spin all the drives down via the UI and try. Then spin all the drives up and try again. If the problem doesn't happen when all the drives are already spinning, that's the issue. You can set drives not to spin down if you don't like that behavior.

Interesting. I think your idea of directly connecting to the NAS is a good one, though there are a couple of easier things to try first. To make sure I understand the situation, I think you have a Cisco switch in the HT, a Netgear switch in the Living room, and no switch in the Family room.

The first thing that occurs to me is a bad port on your router on the connection into the Family Room or a bad cable somewhere in the chain to the OpenElec/Kodi device in the Family Room . Here's my thinking. Both the Cisco switch and the Netgear switch seem to be Ok because you can play movies in the HT and that requires network traffic to go through both switches. The unRAID NAS appears to be Ok as well - it does fine when serving up movies to the i3 NUC. An easy test to see if it is the router port might be to switch the Family room connection to a different port on the router. If you have a patch cable in the Family room, try switching that out. Also try power cycling the router, if you haven't done that lately. If none of that helps then I'd try the direct connect - that will isolate it to either the NAS, or the network.

A puzzler...
Will the syslog show Eth0, and eth1 if only one is plugged in?

I have the drives setup to spin down after 15 minutes, and to spin up as a group.

In the Family Room we have the Netgear switch. We don't have a Living Room (I must have made a typo somewhere). Good ideas. I will spin up all the HDDs, and see if the problem goes away. If it does I will set the HDD not to spin down. if that doesn't work I will swap out the LAN cable to the Kodi Server, and if that doesn't solve it I will switch to a different port on the Netgear switch. I don't think the Router has had the power cycled in quite a while...I will try that too. I will post up with results.

Thanks for the help.

Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, 4 JBL 8340As, 4 JBL 8320s, PS3, XBoxOne, 2 Intel NUCs, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 Furman filters, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope screen, Panamorph UH-480, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Crest Audio CM2208s, Yamaha XM-4080, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #783 of 799 Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Will the syslog show Eth0, and eth1 if only one is plugged in?

I have the drives setup to spin down after 15 minutes, and to spin up as a group.

In the Family Room we have the Netgear switch. We don't have a Living Room (I must have made a typo somewhere). Good ideas. I will spin up all the HDDs, and see if the problem goes away. If it does I will set the HDD not to spin down. if that doesn't work I will swap out the LAN cable to the Kodi Server, and if that doesn't solve it I will switch to a different port on the Netgear switch. I don't think the Router has had the power cycled in quite a while...I will try that too. I will post up with results.

Thanks for the help.
The router power cycle is very important. Make sure you also do the network switches too.

Some general questions

How do you have your media shares setup in Unraid. Preferably so they don't split a file across multiple harddrives ?

Most importantly a question about the power failure. Is the Unraid protected by a UPS and do you run the Powerdown plugin ?
Have you run a parity check since the power failure ?
post #784 of 799 Old 09-04-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
The router power cycle is very important. Make sure you also do the network switches too.

Some general questions

How do you have your media shares setup in Unraid. Preferably so they don't split a file across multiple harddrives ?

Most importantly a question about the power failure. Is the Unraid protected by a UPS and do you run the Powerdown plugin ?
Have you run a parity check since the power failure ?
I have the shares set to automatically split any directory. Most likely a little late to change this as i have almost 12TB used and only 8TB free out of 5 HDDs (+ 6TB Parity HDD)
UnRAid is protected with an UPS, but the power went off when we were not home. I have the Powerdown plugin running.

I have run a Parity check.

Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, 4 JBL 8340As, 4 JBL 8320s, PS3, XBoxOne, 2 Intel NUCs, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 Furman filters, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope screen, Panamorph UH-480, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Crest Audio CM2208s, Yamaha XM-4080, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88.
post #785 of 799 Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked: 2281
I use the High Water option with my three unRAID setups. It fills the largest drive to half full and then fills the other drives in order to that same amount. Then once all the drives have that amount, it goes back to the first drives and fills it to half of the available space again and does the same process for each drive.

None of my unRAID setups have a bunch of different media types on it so this works for me. For instance my unRAID3 only has two shares for TV shows and Animation. My unRAID 1a has three shares for MKVs, 3D BDs, and new 2D BD titles. And then my largest unRAID setup, unRAID2, has one share for all my older 2D BD rips.
ellisr63 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-04-2015 at 08:25 PM.
post #786 of 799 Old 09-05-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I have 19 shared folders... I also use high water for my HDDs.

How do you delete a share once it has been created?

post #787 of 799 Old 09-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Check the share page in the unRAID gui.
post #788 of 799 Old 09-05-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You need to make sure the share is empty first before you can delete it. I don't use v6 yet but I would think that is the same way.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #789 of 799 Old 09-05-2015, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

hmmm... I just went ahead and upgraded my unRAID3 setup to version 6.1. It only took a few minutes and most of that time was getting creating a backup and getting a picture of all the drive info. I guess I'll do my other two setups now since the first one went so easily.

EDIT: My unRAID 3 doesn't use a cache drive. I'm seeing a nice speed increase(over 25%) in the transfer rates to it.

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-05-2015 at 04:22 PM.
post #790 of 799 Old 09-05-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

my unRAID2 setup is now upgraded to 6.1

post #791 of 799 Old 09-05-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

And my unRAID1a is now upgraded.

I guess the new unRAID showed more SMART info.
It showed that an array drive on my unRAID2 had over 600 reallocated sectors. And that my cache drive on my unRAID1a had around 25 reallocated sectors. So I replaced both drives and my unRAID 2 is in the process of rebuilding data. The cache drive on unRAID1a only took a few seconds to take care of since it isn't part of the array.

I'm also seeing faster transfer rates to the the cache drive. That machine is only a single core CPU but it has the fastest data transfers of all my machines, close to 900Mb/s with v6.1 and the cache drive. It's also my only machine with 4GB of memory. My other two unRAID setups only have 2GB of memory.

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-05-2015 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling...doH!!!
post #792 of 799 Old 09-06-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post

A puzzler...
Yesterday I rebooted the router... It appears to be working fine so far. We watched a few TV shows last night that had been saved to the NAS, and a movie, and it worked flawlessly. Hopefully that was all it needed.

post #793 of 799 Old 09-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Yesterday I rebooted the router... It appears to be working fine so far. We watched a few TV shows last night that had been saved to the NAS, and a movie, and it worked flawlessly. Hopefully that was all it needed.
Good news!
ellisr63 likes this.
post #794 of 799 Old 09-06-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

I really like the update feature on unRAID 6. You check for updates, it says there one available, then you select update. And it automatically updates to the newest version. Then you just need to reboot.

I was on v6.1 but a new version came out. v6.1.1. This is so much better than how it was with v4 and v5. I am so glad I upgraded my systems to version 6.

The thing that really pushed me to upgrade was me getting a bunch of avahi errors in my unRAID logs from all my Win10 machines. v6.1 suppressed those log entries. I only wish now that I had upgraded sooner. Although I still haven't researched the new file systems that v6 is capable of using.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #795 of 799 Old 09-06-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I really like the update feature on unRAID 6. You check for updates, it says there one available, then you select update. And it automatically updates to the newest version. Then you just need to reboot.

I was on v6.1 but a new version came out. v6.1.1. This is so much better than how it was with v4 and v5. I am so glad I upgraded my systems to version 6.

The thing that really pushed me to upgrade was me getting a bunch of avahi errors in my unRAID logs from all my Win10 machines. v6.1 suppressed those log entries. I only wish now that I had upgraded sooner. Although I still haven't researched the new file systems that v6 is capable of using.
i agree. One thing to watch out for with v6.1 or 6.1.1 are the plugins you may be running. Not all are up to date with the necesary changes for version 6. Check when using plugins that they are verified which means Limetech checked them for v6.
post #796 of 799 Old 09-07-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Is this a feature that started in 6.1... I have 6.0.1, and I don't see it.

post #797 of 799 Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is this a feature that started in 6.1... I have 6.0.1, and I don't see it.
Go to the Unraid Main page
On the black tool bar select Plugins
Second column from the right will show you the status
On the right just above the gray header select Check for updates
Click on Version button of any plugins needing updating
ellisr63 likes this.
post #798 of 799 Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Go to the Unraid Main page
On the black tool bar select Plugins
Second column from the right will show you the status
On the right just above the gray header select Check for updates
Click on Version button of any plugins needing updating
Thanks, I never knew that was there.

post #799 of 799 Old 11-21-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone use Jumbo Frames for streaming movies? I was looking at my switch, and saw that I could use Jumbo Frames. I was wondering if that would improve streaming speed, and file transfer speed (moving movies across the LAN). Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player