post #61 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Feel free to post some pics in the thread!

Are you hooking your unraid server to a monitor?

Can't you just connect it to your home network and access it through a pc/Mac in the house to do all your configurations?

For the initial installation I need to make sure the computer boots up with USB, and I am not sure if this is going to happened or not or if I need to change things within BIOS. So, I need it to hook it up to a monitor...i believe. This is my first build so I'm not sure

The case looks awesome from the outside. You don't want to see the internals. I've got cables going everywhere lol

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone need a 4 bay Mediasonic external enclosure? I don't need mine anymore if anyone is interest I'm selling it for $80 plus shipping. I paid $140 for it. I can send pics if necessary. It's brand new only used it for 5 months.

It's this one:
http://www.amazon.com/ProBox-Drive-E...8804733&sr=8-1

Home Theater Set Up:

post #63 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Windows 8 beta including storage spaces will be available on feb 29th.

If it doesn't have many bugs and it actually works like unRaid does, I might give it a try. It will also depend on how much it cost as well. With unRaid you don't have to spend much $$ to build a super server .

Home Theater Set Up:

post #64 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

For the initial installation I need to make sure the computer boots up with USB, and I am not sure if this is going to happened or not or if I need to change things within BIOS. So, I need it to hook it up to a monitor...i believe. This is my first build so I'm not sure

The case looks awesome from the outside. You don't want to see the internals. I've got cables going everywhere lol

Yea I'm not exactly sure either since this is my first build.

Sean might be able to answer this question for us.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #65 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

sure you need a monitor to configure the BIOS but thats about it. I dont have mine hooked to a monitor once I have that part done.
post #66 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

sure you need a monitor to configure the BIOS but thats about it. I dont have mine hooked to a monitor once I have that part done.

That's what I meant. I only need the monitor for the BIOS setup after that, I'll access it via network.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #67 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I meant. I only need the monitor for the BIOS setup after that, I'll access it via network.

I'm excited to get this thing running! So tired of Windows Home Server. I had fun putting mine together. Makes me want to build another server already.

My First Home Theater

post #68 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 808
This thread got me thinking that maybe I should retire my WHS sooner rather than later. I have 31 drives attached/in my whs so I could easily take 22 of them and set up a 40 TB unRAID to go along with my current 32TB one. And still be able to move over more 2TB drives to replace the 1.5TB ones in my current box to increase its capacity.

Although it will take a while to transfer the 26TB of BD ISOs over. But I would rather deal with it now than later since my current WHS is getting old.

Has thee been any more progress with the newer unRAID software that has a webGUI? Verison 5? It was in beta when I setup my unRAID with v4.7 a year ago.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #69 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

This thread got me thinking that maybe I should retire my WHS sooner rather than later. I have 31 drives attached/in my whs so I could easily take 22 of them and set up a 40 TB unRAID to go along with my current 32TB one. And still be able to move over more 2TB drives to replace the 1.5TB ones in my current box to increase its capacity.

Although it will take a while to transfer the 26TB of BD ISOs over. But I would rather deal with it now than later since my current WHS is getting old.

Has thee been any more progress with the newer unRAID software that has a webGUI? Verison 5? It was in beta when I setup my unRAID with v4.7 a year ago.

still in beta
post #70 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do it!

My First Home Theater

post #71 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
...windows 8 runs without a monitor and will completely run from a usb memory key, and no 21 drive limit...
post #72 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

...windows 8 runs without a monitor and will completely run from a usb memory key, and no 21 drive limit...

yes... and is not as proven as an unraid server, is not available yet, and we don't know how much it costs! Other than that it sounds great!
post #73 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

yes... and is not as proven as an unraid server, is not available yet, and we don't know how much it costs! Other than that it sounds great!

why be picky about those minor little details...
besides... its just data, what could possibly go wrong?

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #74 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I understand your hesitation. I have been running a couple of storage pools in win 8 myself and have not had issues so far.
post #75 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Until I see some solid reviews from users I'll hold off on w8. I just wouldn't want to go through the headaches I have with whs v1.

Is it using duplication like whs?

Or a Parity like unRAID?

Will there be some sort of cache drive to help speed up large file transfers?

Will there be a hot spare drive feature?

Will it be compatible with all drive models? Whs server didn't work well with certain drives such as WD EARS.

I don't know much about w8 but these are questions I would need answered before going with it over unRAID.

My First Home Theater

post #76 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Until I see some solid reviews from users I'll hold off on w8. I just wouldn't want to go through the headaches I have with whs v1.

Is it using duplication like whs?

Or a Parity like unRAID?

Will there be some sort of cache drive to help speed up large file transfers?

Will there be a hot spare drive feature?

Will it be compatible with all drive models? Whs server didn't work well with certain drives such as WD EARS.

I don't know much about w8 but these are questions I would need answered before going with it over unRAID.

Both!
One cool thing about windows 8 is that it offers either parity or duplication, user choice.
You can have parity protection on your media files and duplication on your documents. Or the other way around...you choose.

Theres a long thread about windows 8 server features over in the home theater computers section of this site:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=windows+8

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #77 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Both!
One cool thing about windows 8 is that it offers either parity or duplication, user choice.
You can have parity protection on your media files and duplication on your documents. Or the other way around...you choose.

Theres a long thread about windows 8 server features over in the home theater computers section of this site:

sounds very cool...... thanks for the link
post #78 of 761 Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Both!

nice! thanks for the ink. will read up on it!
post #79 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:

I'm having issues with my PopBox V8 with Eversion. The skin comes up an works fine but I cant play back any movies. It says "could not play" then goes back to details page.

If I go into network media and open up my video file lists I can play movies just fine.

My a200 is playing movies just fine with eversion. Anyone know what going on?

I had that problem. You need to correct your link to the media folder on your Unraid. Popbox will create a NETWORK_SHARE when you create the Media share on the V8 but THAT does not exist in your Unraid, so you need to correct the link in your YAMJ i.e TOWER/MEDIA...

Dbone had postings about that when I had the problem of not be able to click on the movie cover art to play it.

By the way I like your cages. I will need some in the near future.

Do you know that the Unraid license is keyed to the flash drive? Apparently the experts are using a card reader instead so the license is keyed to the reader since apparently all memories will fail at some time. I just upgraded from 4.7 official release to 5B14. Very significant upgrade, needed for 3 TB drives.
post #80 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

Do you know that the Unraid license is keyed to the flash drive? Apparently the experts are using a card reader instead so the license is keyed to the reader sine apparently all memories will fail at some time. I just upgrade from 4.7 official release to 5B14. Very significant upgrade, needed for 3 TB drives.

But it's still beta software. I don't want to risk my BD ISOs with beta software. I had figured by now it would have been out of beta, but I guess not. Are they even close to releasing a final product?
Although I don't use any 3TB hard drives and have no plans to use them anytime soon. I still have plenty of 2TB and 1.5TB drives to last a while. Especially if I switch them from my WHS to an unRAID. But from what I read the WebGUI in v5 was supposed to be much better than the interface in v4.7. But I never got around to testing it out.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #81 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Sorry for the newbish questions here. So at initial setup of UNRAID you need to do some messing around with the bios, so need a keybord/monitor minimum to get it going? But AFTER that you can just hook it into your router and access it from the network? Just wondering as I only have a single monitor currently.
post #82 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:

But it's still beta software. I don't want to risk my BD ISOs with beta software. I had figured by now it would have been out of beta, but I guess not. Are they even close to releasing a final product?
Although I don't use any 3TB hard drives and have no plans to use them anytime soon. I still have plenty of 2TB and 1.5TB drives to last a while. Especially if I switch them from my WHS to an unRAID. But from what I read the WebGUI in v5 was supposed to be much better than the interface in v4.7. But I never got around to testing it out.

With Unraid, my data disks are safe from the BETA versions, just the OS linux kernel and utilities and various improvements. As a matter of fact i really hesitated to go BETA with all my movies BR, DVD etc... but if you have a stable system, with no MBR problem and a valid config, the new BETA will bring your array on line. I backed up my 4.7 Unraid flash so I can downgrade if needed be.
post #83 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:

The first boot has to do with how you prepare your flash drive and your hardware and your BIOS. I used a monitor, mouse and keyboard. Once the network was established with the command ifconfig eth0 and inet showed the IP I used the web interface to manage Unraid. All the disk preclear and setup will take a long time.
post #84 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

Sorry for the newbish questions here. So at initial setup of UNRAID you need to do some messing around with the bios, so need a keybord/monitor minimum to get it going? But AFTER that you can just hook it into your router and access it from the network? Just wondering as I only have a single monitor currently.

Be sure that your server can boot from the USB flash drive first instead of HD or CD. You need to hook up your Unraid to your network BEFORE boot up not AFTER.
post #85 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

While I am still running 4.7 myself, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the beta5 if I needed it. With unMenu and all the plugins though I have zero need. Running 20 2TB drives + parity and cache in a 4224. Quiet, cool, and pumps data like a champ.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #86 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Why do you need to hook up to your network before booting? I built my unraid box on the dining room table, set up the bios using an old monitor and keyboard and, once up and running, brought down to the basement and hooked up to the network. Never needed the keyboard and monitor again and can't see why I would have needed it hooked into the network to get it up and running.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #87 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Why do you need to hook up to your network before booting? I built my unraid box on the dining room table, set up the bios using an old monitor and keyboard and, once up and running, brought down to the basement and hooked up to the network. Never needed the keyboard and monitor again and can't see why I would have needed it hooked into the network to get it up and running.

Yep, thats how I did mine (except it was on my coffee table).
Once it was set up I unhooked it from monitor, keyboard and mouse, carried it to its final resting spot and plugged it into my network.

Havent had to plug a keyboard, mouse or monitor to it since.....

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #88 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Yep, thats how I did mine (except it was on my coffee table).
Once it was set up I unhooked it from monitor, keyboard and mouse, carried it to its final resting spot and plugged it into my network.

Havent had to plug a keyboard, mouse or monitor to it since.....

This is good to know. I've completed my upgrade of my main PC, and my old box is ready for the UNRAID treatment, I just need to get a drive to put in it. Blasted crazy HDD prices!
post #89 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

This is good to know. I've completed my upgrade of my main PC, and my old box is ready for the UNRAID treatment, I just need to get a drive to put in it. Blasted crazy HDD prices!

Newegg has 2tb seagates for $129.00 with a coupon code for $20 off at the moment!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #90 of 761 Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

Newegg has 2tb seagates for $129.00 with a coupon code for $20 off at the moment!

Limit 1 per customer.... for that promo price.

If you can wait it out- HD prices will come down. They're still at recent historic high prices. I feel bad for anyone who needs a new HD now...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page