post #181 of 761 Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Chanc,

I got the problem solved. The Workgroup setting default in unRAID was MShome. I changed it to "workgroup" and now my server shows up.

Good news!!! Did you have any problem boot up with the ECS A885GM-A2 ? There are reported problems at lime-tech forum about bios setup for that board? Just curious, what version of Unraid are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 761 Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I enable the samba and NFS shares for my server, and I just ordered a Dune B1 media player

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 761 Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Dude,

I was about to break something. For some reason or another my unRaid server would not come up under Network on any of my PC's, but I was able to access via browser with //tower or IP.

I Googled it, and read a bunch of directions, changed settings, turned off the server like 10 times, and changed setting on the USB with unraid OS, and nothing.

Then I remember that I reserved IP addresses for my server, W7 PC and AIOS. So, I was like...I've turned everything off and on, with the exception of the router. I wonder if that would fix the problem.

So, I turned off the rebooted the router, and turned it back on. 30 seconds later, I can see tower under network

Home Theater Set Up:

post #184 of 761 Old 02-22-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

Good news!!! Did you have any problem boot up with the ECS A885GM-A2 ? There are reported problems at lime-tech forum about bios setup for that board? Just curious, what version of Unraid are you using?

Nope not a problem booting up the MB. They must have something in the BIOS configured incorrectly. I know RAJAHAL from Lime has used this board and tested it and had no problems either. The thing that really made me go with this board beside the $45 price is that this MB can handle up to a 20 Bay server. That will come in handy when i decide to upgrade.

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #185 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have an unraid question, when you rip or download files to the server I thought unraid showed up as on device, but looking at the gui you rip or download files to separate drives?

Is unrad user shares the only thing that shows up as one single device?
post #186 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I have an unraid question, when you rip or download files to the server I thought unraid showed up as on device, but looking at the gui you rip or download files to separate drives?

Is unrad user shares the only thing that shows up as one single device?

Once you set your shares (movies,music,pictures) then you would just transfer/rip files directing them to the specific share you want that file in. Not sure if thats what you were asking..

post #187 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well I was more so curious if you can rip to specific drives in the server over the network, or if it just shows up as one big drive or server?

So if im on my pc and look at the network and want to rip to the unraid server, is it just all one device or can you rip to specific drives in the server?
post #188 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:

Well I was more so curious if you can rip to specific drives in the server over the network, or if it just shows up as one big drive or server?

So if im on my pc and look at the network and want to rip to the unraid server, is it just all one device or can you rip to specific drives in the server?

Both. Once your unraid is set up you can see all of the "User Shares" you set as well as each individual disk in the server.
post #189 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can set it up to use individual disk or use a JBOD (just a bunch of drives). If you want to access individual drive, it would be cheaper to buy an external hard drive enclosure than to build a unRaid server.

I was using a 4 bay Mediasonic external hard drive enclosure, which holds drive up to 3tb, which will give you a total of 12tb storage. You can hook it up via esata or usb 3.0.

As a matter of fact, I am selling it since I built my unRaid server I do not need it anymore.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #190 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You can set it up to use individual disk or use a JBOD (just a bunch of drives). If you want to access individual drive, it would be cheaper to buy an external hard drive enclosure than to build a unRaid server.

I was using a 4 bay Mediasonic external hard drive enclosure, which old drive up to 3tb, which will give you a total of 12tb storage. You can hook it up via esata or usb 3.0.

As a matter of fact, I am selling it since I built my unRaid server I do not need it anymore.

You can also use the Mediasonics with unRAID. I plan on eventually using five of the Mediasonic 4 bay enclosures with my second unRAID build. I currently use five of the multibay SansDigital enclosures with my first unRAID build and they have worked without any issues. So hopefully I don't have any issues with the 4 bay MediaSonics since I have used seven of them with my WHS for the last couple of years without any issues.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #191 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You can also use the Mediasonics with unRAID. I plan on eventually using five of the Mediasonic 4 bay enclosures with my second unRAID build. I currently use five of the multibay SansDigital enclosures with my first unRAID build and they have worked without any issues. So hopefully I don't have any issues with the 4 bay MediaSonics since I have used seven of them with my WHS for the last couple of years without any issues.

That's true, but at the moment I have no need for it since my case can hold up to 15 drives. I would keep the Mediasonic if my case was maxed out.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #192 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

how so? with unRAID, if you want, you can rip/write directly to Drive X (X being any individual data drive) and then have your media player/PC/whatever read from share "\\\\unRAID\\Movies" (or wherever...)
one nice thing about doing it that way is that share "\\\\unRAID\\Movies" can be set to read only....so no worries about someone accidentally deleting something they shouldn't...

how do you do that with just a external hard drive enclosure?

I guess there are always other ways to get there... setting up read/write permissions on a user based level or some such...
but unRAID just makes it so easy by default... why bother futzing with more complicated solutions?

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #193 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

how so? with unRAID, if you want, you can rip/write directly to Drive X (X being any individual data drive) and then have your media player/PC/whatever read from share "\\\\unRAID\\Movies" (or wherever...)
one nice thing about doing it that way is that share "\\\\unRAID\\Movies" can be set to read only....so no worries about someone accidentally deleting something they shouldn't...

how do you do that with just a external hard drive enclosure?

I guess there are always other ways to get there... setting up read/write permissions on a user based level or some such...
but unRAID just makes it so easy by default... why bother futzing with more complicated solutions?

With an external enclosure, you use your windows PC program to make the share read / write. It's pretty much the same concept with the exception of having no back up unless you use hardware / software raid.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #194 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I enable the samba and NFS shares for my server, and I just ordered a Dune B1 media player

My dune D1 is on the way. Syabas is lame. sent me two totally DOA boxes. support never returns phone calls and took 4 days to comment on a RMA ticket on their website. SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #195 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With an external enclosure, you use your windows PC program to make the share read / write. It's pretty much the same concept with the exception of having no back up unless you use hardware / software raid.

Its not the same. windows doesn't have the concept of user shares like unraid where it automatically determines which physical disk to put the data on. not even close even when discounting the raid.
post #196 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Its not the same. windows doesn't have the concept of user shares like unraid where it automatically determines which physical disk to put the data on. not even close even when discounting the raid.

Check out storage pools in windows 8...
post #197 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Check out storage pools in windows 8...

I read about it (from you) and it doesn't exist yet (I dont run beta OS's) but I have no issues with unraid. once it comes out I will consider using it to build a future server if its anything like unraid.
post #198 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My dune D1 is on the way. Syabas is lame. sent me two totally DOA boxes. support never returns phone calls and took 4 days to comment on a RMA ticket on their website. SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you call the Fremont, CA number? I never have any trouble getting a hold of Syabas. Their office is right around the corner from my house. Anyways you're probably better off with a Dune. More solid and plays forced subs with no issues.

post #199 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you call the Fremont, CA number? I never have any trouble getting a hold of Syabas. Their office is right around the corner from my house. Anyways you're probably better off with a Dune. More solid and plays forced subs with no issues.

I have called The Fremont Number and left over 20 messages with 0 returned calls. I have succesfully called them 10-20 times in a row and hitting 1 to actually get a person twice in the last month but thats it. that approach failed yesterday where I called then over 30 times. PCH support is a joke. Even responding to an RMA request took 4 business days.

we'll see if it works well. what are you using to create your MKV's with forced subs that work. I read the MakeMKV wont do this and you have to do an more complicated process with MkvMerge.

how are you doing this?
post #200 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have called The Fremont Number and left over 20 messages with 0 returned calls. I have succesfully called them 10-20 times in a row and hitting 1 to actually get a person twice in the last month but thats it. that approach failed yesterday where I called then over 30 times. PCH support is a joke. Even responding to an RMA request took 4 business days.

we'll see if it works well. what are you using to create your MKV's with forced subs that work. I read the MakeMKV wont do this and you have to do an more complicated process with MkvMerge.

how are you doing this?

I rip my blu-rays to .ts. I've been having issues with PCH not working with subs properly. dbone was telling me that Dune Players actually work with forced subs because the pay for Licensing.

post #201 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I use ClownBD for bluray movies, and makemkv for dvd movies. I do the occasional bluray with makemkv just in case I have issues with ClownBD, which so far I've done with one movie.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #202 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I rip my blu-rays to .ts. I've been having issues with PCH not working with subs properly. dbone was telling me that Dune Players actually work with forced subs because the pay for Licensing.

subs seem to work with the MKV's on the PCH when authored with mkvMerge. Thats part of your problem. creating MKV's with working forced subs is not as easy as it should be.

so Forced Subs work with .ts on any player?
post #203 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

subs seem to work with the MKV's on the PCH when authored with mkvMerge. Thats part of your problem. creating MKV's with working forced subs is not as easy as it should be.

so Forced Subs work with .ts on any player?

Forced subs with .ts only work if you turn them on from the pch remote or your universal remote.. Thats one of my peeves with PCH. Sometimes you don't know if a movie has subs and its irritating to come across a scene that you don't know what they're saying. so you have to rewind then turn on subtitles from the remote and and watch the scene again. According to dbone this isn't a problem with Dune.

post #204 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use ClownBD for bluray movies, and makemkv for dvd movies. I do the occasional bluray with makemkv just in case I have issues with ClownBD, which so far I've done with one movie.

I also use ClownBD and MakeMKV for DVD's. Clown works good most of the time It just takes much longer to rip a movie with ClownBD than it does to rip a movie to a folder structure using AnyDVD HD.

post #205 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also use ClownBD and MakeMKV for DVD's. Clown works good most of the time It just takes much longer to rip a movie with ClownBD than it does to rip a movie to a folder structure using AnyDVD HD.

Yeah, it usually takes me about 45 to 1 hour to rip a movie with ClownBD. I only do ISO DVD TV shows with AnyDVD HD.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #206 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forced subs with .ts only work if you turn them on from the pch remote or your universal remote.. Thats one of my peeves with PCH. Sometimes you don't know if a movie has subs and its irritating to come across a scene that you don't know what they're saying. so you have to rewind then turn on subtitles from the remote and and watch the scene again. According to dbone this isn't a problem with Dune.

gotcha but thats not forced subs. I will be exciting to see forced subs work but I'm very disapointed in learning the dune doesn't do chapter marks.

So back to unraid. Did you get unmenu installed and able to load some additional modules with its package manager.

Can't wait till all this gets totally integrated in 5.0
post #207 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

gotcha but thats not forced subs. I will be exciting to see forced subs work but I'm very disapointed in learning the dune doesn't do chapter marks.

So back to unraid. Did you get unmenu installed and able to load some additional modules with its package manager.

Can't wait till all this gets totally integrated in 5.0

What would that be considered then?

I ran preclear yesterday and cleared out my drives. Everything is up and running right now. I started transferring files with Teracopy. I got about 7TB of files to transfer so should take a couple days.

5.0 sounds like its going to be pretty awesome!

post #208 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are you still in Los Altos Sean? I love it out there.. That $100mil house just sold out there recently.

post #209 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What would that be considered then?

I ran preclear yesterday and cleared out my drives. Everything is up and running right now. I started transferring files with Teracopy. I got about 7TB of files to transfer so should take a couple days.

5.0 sounds like its going to be pretty awesome!

thats considered subtitles not forced subtitles. Its only forced subtitles when you don't have to manually turn it on.

Yes it will take a while. I have mixed results with teracopy.

5.0 should be cool but I want them to get this shipped and probably 5.01 before I think about adding any 3TB drives. Hope this means they support the new 4TB drives too.....

Yes I still live in Los Altos but am currently in utah snowboarding. back in April.
post #210 of 761 Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thats considered subtitles not forced subtitles. Its only forced subtitles when you don't have to manually turn it on.

Yes it will take a while. I have mixed results with teracopy.

5.0 should be cool but I want them to get this shipped and probably 5.01 before I think about adding any 3TB drives. Hope this means they support the new 4TB drives too.....

Yes I still live in Los Altos but am currently in utah snowboarding. back in April.

I'm bummed I haven't been snowboarding this year!

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page