post #31 of 40 Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill View Post

sorry to drag on..so with not using photo station, any real world examples where I might see the difference using the 1.6mhz cpu?

tks

Typically faster CPU speeds on the Synology boxes equate to faster file transfer speeds.

If you don't plan on needing to stream more than 1-2 HD streams at a time and it wouldn't matter to you if it took an extra minute or two to copy a BD size file, I can't see the sense in going up to a faster CPU based on what you've reported your needs are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, looks like no need to get the 212 over the 212j,

However, what about apps, do users tend to install apps for media sharing,torrents and backup, and would this have a bearing on my cpu decision

mbryanr mentioned this earlier; http://synoblog.superzebulon.org/

Is this fine to run on a 1.2Mhz cpu..any others? ..how would they work out with the 1.2Mhz

thanks

thanks

Capall
post #33 of 40 Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

btw lads, really appreciate the feedback, I'm just an Irish paddy learning the A/V media streaming ropes and the all help is much appreciated.

Capall
post #34 of 40 Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
btw, you can get the process listing by model here
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index...es_my_NAS_have
post #35 of 40 Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

good reminder, I actually came across it last week but they forgot about it, makes it a bit easier than continuously putting the product name in their website to view specs.

thanks

Capall
post #36 of 40 Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill View Post

Thanks, looks like no need to get the 212 over the 212j,

However, what about apps, do users tend to install apps for media sharing,torrents and backup, and would this have a bearing on my cpu decision

mbryanr mentioned this earlier; http://synoblog.superzebulon.org/

Is this fine to run on a 1.2Mhz cpu..any others? ..how would they work out with the 1.2Mhz

thanks

thanks

I don't really use mine to run apps and do media serving functions (I have a small WHS I use for that purpose) so can't comment on that. I would imagine that if you want to load it up with tons of apps, etc, that perhaps the better cpu would have some kind of benefit.
post #37 of 40 Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

well I just bought the hp proliant microserver for $200 instead of the nas route, plan to install a couple of 2Tb drives and whs 2011. I got scared off from the point that if the nas dies, due to cpu or such failure, then I would loose all my data unless it was backed up to another nas. At least if I use whs, and the system dies, I can transfer the drives to another system running windows.

Capall
post #38 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I went from NAS to WHS because of the ability to recover files using a PC in cases where the unit dies. On the other hand WHS seems to have a very questionable future. I have been thinking migrating everything to a 4 bay Synology with at least an Intel 1.6GHz processor though preferably the newer 2GHz+ models. Those NAS units seem to be solid and well supported. I personally would not go for the non-Intel models.

Philip
post #39 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill View Post

well I just bought the hp proliant microserver for $200 instead of the nas route, plan to install a couple of 2Tb drives and whs 2011. I got scared off from the point that if the nas dies, due to cpu or such failure, then I would loose all my data unless it was backed up to another nas. At least if I use whs, and the system dies, I can transfer the drives to another system running windows.

It is extremely foolish to believe that any single storage system is fool proof. Yes, your WHS does drive duplication, which you can also do with a NAS using RAID-1. However, drive duplication, or any kind of drive striping is no protection against data loss.

A failed motherboard can take your data with it, fire, flood, electrical damage or theft. All of those are going to destroy your data.

The only reliable way to protect your data is with an offsite backup, either via a cloud storage service or by backing up to drives, another volume, etc, and keeping that at an offsite location.
post #40 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

both good comments. I agree completely that a true backup system includes an offsite drive, be it physical or cloud or both , and an in-house backup, which is my plan. There's pros and cons to each type of device (NAS vs WHS ) and each user has to decide which suits his/her needs, which also include cost and expandability. I think the decision maker for me was the native automated backup and image functions of whs.

That aside, I read great reports across various forums on the synology boxes and would definitely keep them as an option in the future

Capall
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page