Non-PC Based DVD Dripper - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place and since I'm a newbie here, please go gentle. :-)

I've got a pretty small library of movies (both DVD and Blu-Ray) and while I could certianly use my PC's to rip the videos to my NAS, I was wondering if there were any components out there that were custom built to do just that? Kinda the "Ron Popeil - Set It And Forget It" methodology.

My my head, you would load 4 or 5 disks into a device and tell it to rip away and store them on a hard drive... Like I said, I know I can do it on a PC. I could put a few DVD/Blu-Ray drives in my PC and let it go to work but I was just hopeful that I could find an appliance that does it and I wouldn't have to tie up my PC.

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 AM

Liked: 11
there used to be a 100 disc Sony carousel that you could program to do what you want but i do not believe there is anything like it on the market now..
post #3 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Kaleidescape sells a unit (ultra expensive) and you can buy robotic rippers that are essentially a PC+loader mechanism. However, it sounds like you're looking for a simple 1-box solution. IMO, I'd do the following:

- Buy a microPC with 1 drive slot
- Install your preferred O/S and ripping software
- Have the software rip to ISO on disc insertion
- Use the post processing routines to move the ripped file to your NAS
post #4 of 4 Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdulong View Post

So I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place and since I'm a newbie here, please go gentle. :-)

I've got a pretty small library of movies (both DVD and Blu-Ray) and while I could certianly use my PC's to rip the videos to my NAS, I was wondering if there were any components out there that were custom built to do just that? Kinda the "Ron Popeil - Set It And Forget It" methodology.

My my head, you would load 4 or 5 disks into a device and tell it to rip away and store them on a hard drive... Like I said, I know I can do it on a PC. I could put a few DVD/Blu-Ray drives in my PC and let it go to work but I was just hopeful that I could find an appliance that does it and I wouldn't have to tie up my PC.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

I have somewhere between 800 and 900 movies, so I was looking for something similar. I almost bought a single drive robot but decided otherwise and I'm now glad that I didn't by the robot.
Instead I put together an 8 drive optical array for ripping, which I've dubbed the "ripponator". Right now I'm working on ripping DVDs.
What I found is:
Existing tools do not handle mass ripping easily. I actually wrote a small program to assist ripping, which is a long and complicated story about how existing tools are mediocre for unattended ripping.
A significant minority of DVDs do not have descriptive volume names, but rather contain "DVDVOL" or "UNDEFINED" etc and will overwrite each other and need to be viewed to get title info.
Some DVDs need user input to rip correctly.
Foreign films usually need hand selection of audio and sub tracts.
Remakes may need special attention when ripping.
TV shows with multiple episodes need special attention.

I was hoping the ripponator would allow unattended ripping, but that just isn't possible yet, and maybe never.
Having said all that I was able to rip 120 DVDs is just about 4 hours, but I was at the computer the majority of the time.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page