ClownBD or DVDFAB or MakeMKV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've used all three, but was wondering if anyone prefers one over the other? Make MKV does seem the easiest. Put the disc in and hit the button. Clown BD doesn't work %100 of the time for some reason for me and DVDFab actually works pretty good and has gotten much better since older versions. What I forgot, does any of these software titles NEED to have AnyDVD running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I've used all three, but was wondering if anyone prefers one over the other? Make MKV does seem the easiest. Put the disc in and hit the button. Clown BD doesn't work %100 of the time for some reason for me and DVDFab actually works pretty good and has gotten much better since older versions. What I forgot, does any of these software titles NEED to have AnyDVD running?

makemkv doe not require anydvd and dvdfab tells you to turn it off when you launch dvdfab. clown is the only one that does require it. For 99% of my rips I use IMGburn with anydvd running in the background and create an iso...
post #3 of 12 Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Make MKV and DVDfab are great. DVDfab seems cleaner and easier though..
post #4 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have used all three programs but Clown_BD is my program of choice (the disc needs to be un-encrypted so you need either DVDFab passkey or AnyDVD running in the background). If you want a full disc rip then Clown_BD is out of the running (you can actually make a full disc rip with MakeMKV). If you want a main movie rip MakeMKV is great for an mkv and Clown_BD for a folder structure. You can create a main movie rip with DVDFab but I think if this movie is a seamless branch when DVDFab rips it keeps it as a seamless branch (which many players seem to have issues with)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #5 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been using the free version of DVDfab-HD for 1:1 Blu-ray rips. I haven't looked into it yet but I'll probably need something else to remove the trailers, special feature, foreign language track, subs, and lossy audio tracks. I have MakeMKV and ImgBurn also. Will either of these let me do this?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post

I've been using the free version of DVDfab-HD for 1:1 Blu-ray rips. I haven't looked into it yet but I'll probably need something else to remove the trailers, special feature, foreign language track, subs, and lossy audio tracks. I have MakeMKV and ImgBurn also. Will either of these let me do this?

MakeMKV will allow you to do this, as long as you are fine with the resulting mkv.

DVDFab allows this as well, but I guess only the paid version?

Cheers,
Damian

post #7 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

MakeMKV will allow you to do this, as long as you are fine with the resulting mkv.

As long as the video is uncompressed and I still have lossless audio the container format doesn't matter to me (I have a NeoTV 550).
post #8 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As long as the video is uncompressed and I still have lossless audio the container format doesn't matter to me (I have a NeoTV 550).

Correct, we aren't talking about encoding here, only lossless

Cheers,
Damian

post #9 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The commercial version of DVDfab is fairly robust and can remove trailers, subs, menus, audio tracts, etc. It also supports a command line, which can be handy. I've had some issues with using the command line and the way it takes control of the optical drives, but I'm trying to do something 'out of the box'.

I find ClownBD to be quirky with how it handles temp files, batch jobs, and how it deals with directory names. Plus it requires AnyDVD.

I'm currently playing with anyDVD because it is essentially a drive filter. Thus standard Win copy methods work for moving movies around, although it's ability at managing trailers, special features, audio tracks and subs is extremely limited.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

My NeoTV 550 is unable to bitstream Dolby TrueHD in the MKV container on the current firmware. Full support for MKV on the NeoTV 550 is still buggy.

Still Learning
post #11 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I used ClownBD with AnyDVD HD for my blu-ray rips. I use MakeMKV for SD movies, and I use AnyDVD HD to make ISO's for SD TV Shows for full menus.

Both my media player cannot play full menus with BD ISOs. Since, I only buy SD TV shows dvds it isn't a problem

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #12 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

My NeoTV 550 is unable to bitstream Dolby TrueHD in the MKV container on the current firmware. Full support for MKV on the NeoTV 550 is still buggy.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll stick to m2ts or ISO (both of which work fine with TrueHD and DTS MA). The only mkv files I have are friends' rips with DTS or Dolby Digital core tracks so I've never encountered that issue.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page