PBO Alpine Media Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First review I have seen of the upcoming PBO Alpine Media Player. The reviewer is currently taking requests for followup tests not included in the original review. For those interested you may want to head over and check it out. Hopefully an AVS member will have access to one of these soon for a more thorough workout.

Patriot Memory PBO Alpine Media Player Review

accompanying discussion thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675625
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 AM

Liked: 14
I was going to post about this device yesterday but forgot. It looks pretty impressive including the price point of $89 as well. I will see if anyone has posted regarding Plex on there. If you could sideload Plex or somehow enable Android Market access it could be a great device!

I'd also be curious about the flash performance on the browser as well.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
For the price it doesn't look bad, but it doesn't play HD sound. Or at least I didn't see it on the list.

For $89 dollars I would by the AIOS instead.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 AM

i am trying to decide which player to get. it will be my first media player. i am trying to decide between the AIOS or the WD TV Live SMP. and now this one comes along and sounds tempting. but i don't like the credit card remote. if they can change it before launch, i might consider it.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeZ01 View Post

i am trying to decide which player to get. it will be my first media player. i am trying to decide between the AIOS or the WD TV Live SMP. and now this one comes along and sounds tempting. but i don't like the credit card remote. if they can change it before launch, i might consider it.

I've got the AIOS, and I like it. I wanted a simple player that would play all of my rips, and that's what it does. However, you do have to do a little bit of work to get the NFS share hack working and the jukebox, but it isn't bad since Aasoror can help you with that.

I bought the WDTV2 as a xmas present for my parents, and they love it specially Pandora. I tested my rips, and it played all of them (m2ts, mkv, m4v). The only thing with WDTV2 is that it doesn't play HD sound. My parents have an older 5.1 surround sound so this wasn't an issue for them or me.

I like the WDTV because it is an all around box. You can play your ripped movies, netflix, hulu, vude, youtube, pandora, etc. It was easy to set up, and you can set up a jukebox for it as well. I haven't done this for my parents since it would be too much info for them. They just want something simple.

So, if you don't want to spend too much money and want a well rounded box, I would suggest the WDTV2.'

If you want something to just play your ripped movies, I would suggest AIOS. AIOS just updated their FW to be able to access PlayOn. I haven't tested this yet.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #6 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM

thanks for the info!

right now i'm leaning towards the WD TV simply because of the user interface. i'm coming from XBMC on the original Xbox, so i am spoiled by the interface. and it can scrape Movies and TV shows in the media library. although you have to enable write access to your shares which i hope they can change with an update.

with the AIOS, in terms of features, it has more bang for your buck. i haven't really seen anything about TV shows in a jukebox, but could be added in the future.

with this new PBO Alpine, just need more info on it before i decide.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the info!

right now i'm leaning towards the WD TV simply because of the user interface. i'm coming from XBMC on the original Xbox, so i am spoiled by the interface. and it can scrape Movies and TV shows in the media library. although you have to enable write access to your shares which i hope they can change with an update.

with the AIOS, in terms of features, it has more bang for your buck. i haven't really seen anything about TV shows in a jukebox, but could be added in the future.

Aasoror is working on the TV Shows jukebox, but he doesn't really have the original code for the player so it will take some time for it.

If you like XBMC, you can get a ATV2 and hack it with XBMC, but you will only be able to play content up to 720p.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've got the AIOS, and I like it. I wanted a simple player that would play all of my rips, and that's what it does. However, you do have to do a little bit of work to get the NFS share hack working and the jukebox, but it isn't bad since Aasoror can help you with that.

I bought the WDTV2 as a xmas present for my parents, and they love it specially Pandora. I tested my rips, and it played all of them (m2ts, mkv, m4v). The only thing with WDTV2 is that it doesn't play HD sound. My parents have an older 5.1 surround sound so this wasn't an issue for them or me.

I like the WDTV because it is an all around box. You can play your ripped movies, netflix, hulu, vude, youtube, pandora, etc. It was easy to set up, and you can set up a jukebox for it as well. I haven't done this for my parents since it would be too much info for them. They just want something simple.

So, if you don't want to spend too much money and want a well rounded box, I would suggest the WDTV2.'

If you want something to just play your ripped movies, I would suggest AIOS. AIOS just updated their FW to be able to access PlayOn. I haven't tested this yet.

i was interested in the AIOS until i read about the remote. the button layout sucks, and it's unresponsive with some commands.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

thanks for the info!

If you are looking similar to the XBMC interface a device with Plex client capabilities would be a great way to go: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1361963
post #10 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

oh, for goodness sake! I am sick of people whining about crappy remotes. Any self respecting avs'er has a learning or universal remote! If you don't SHAME SHAME on you!
post #11 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

oh, for goodness sake! I am sick of people whining about crappy remotes. Any self respecting avs'er has a learning or universal remote! If you don't SHAME SHAME on you!

I agree. I just got a cheap Harmony 600 for $30.00 (on sale at radio shark), and it works awesome.

I'm probably going to buy the Harmony One for the living room and use the 600 for our master bedroom.

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page